Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 3 Reunion

Shin

Perhaps Emmet's continued display of defiance was meant to unsettle the party, but it had the opposite effect on Claire. This was the fate that he had brought upon himself - there were no two ways about it. The realisation calmed her, knowing that they were making the right decision. Knowing what was sure to come next, seeing that Owen's judgement was justified made things easier.

But only slightly.

A formal execution was different to any of the deaths Claire had witnessed before. Even Emily's death had been sudden and unexpected. Instead of shock, there was mounting sense of dread. Emmet's words sent a chill down her spine, and for a second she was worried that Owen would lose his nerve.

Thankfully, her doubts were unfounded, and the sword stroke was clean. Claire wanted to look away, but steadied her gaze. How long had it been? Five, ten minutes? In such a short time, Emmet had turned from a trusted (if a little insufferable) ally to this. He'd saved her life days earlier, hadn't he? 

So she didn't look away. The mage owed him that much. "Goodbye, Emmet." she whispered. The feeling of uneasiness slowly deflated, with the deed now done, and was replaced with a twinge of sadness. But nothing more. He deserved it... she told herself again, as if it would cheer her up. She just hoped that they would move on soon. Too much had happened here.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sounds of metal on flesh slipped through the air again, as Cass glanced from the mercenaries towards Owen and-- "Oh..." The sight of Emmet's head rolling from his shoulders was... It was... Heh. Cass' lips curled into a smile for but a moment, before forming into a grimace, the sight of his death doing nothing past her instance of... What to call it... Pleasure? Satisfaction? Whatever it had been, it hadn't registered long enough for her to pick up on it, though she found herself unable to look away from the sight. What had made Owen decide to do this? He seemed like he wished to give Emmet another chance, and then bring him in to be dealt with, yet here they were.

She finally managed to tear her eyes towards the other mercenaries, who were likely distraught by Emmet's fall. Not just his death; every step along the way. She had no words to comfort or answer to them, her previous ones for Emily all she could come up with. So she stood, waiting, looking between their two groups. Emmet's last words were still clear in her mind, Raewald was near, and they had to wait for Emily's body to revive. I need to sleep... I need Adele's arms around me and a warm bed to crawl into. This has all been... Just too much.

Adele couldn't turn away, despite Owen's offer. She owed Emmet at least that much, for his service before all of this. As Owen prepared a different blade for the execution, and Emmet gave his last words, Adele could only a few words of her own in solace before his life was ended.

"I want to thank you for your service, Emmet. Many of us owe our lives to your actions... and you even offered to minister my wedding. I am sorry to see it end this way... I choose to believe that you were a good man, led astray by something larger than life. I choose to remember you as you were... not as what happened today." Adele concluded, Owen's sword coming down to end him. As soon as her own obligation had finished, Adeltrudis turned away, biting at her own cheek in an attempt to keep herself silent.

"What a waste of life..." Adele muttered under her breath, unable to stop herself completely.

The remaining Reliants watched in horror as Emmet made his last stand against Owen. Larissa couldn't bring herself to watch as Owen ended their former ally, hiding behind Lars as Emmet's body slumped to the floor. The two axe men were lost for words, looking at each other as if they expected the other to say something. Morganna couldn't bring herself to look at Emmet, his neck wound forming a pool beneath him as it oozed blood. Their mourning was not too dissimilar to that they showed for Emily, but the shock of Emmet's betrayal had left them all confused.

Clapping his hands together, Apellon had rather enjoyed Owen's performance, his sister wiping a tear of joy from her eye alongside him. "Bravo, Prince Owen. We did not think that you would end your own ally's life on such a whim. To think that you took away the life he so dearly tried to extend, almost poetically ironic." Apellon commended, slipping out from between the Reliants. "I must say, you're quite the leader... perhaps your country shall be fine with you at its top? Perhaps you'll cause it to crash and burn, each of your decisions leading you closer to ruin? Food for thought, but my sister and I must be departing. You would permit us leave, if I could so ask? Lady Herman's butler would prove problematic for our exit."

Sebastian still had his knives at the ready, with Emmet dead, he was free to focus entirely on both Apellon and Arteria. Apellon gave the butler an settling grin, although Sebastian's expression remained as stern as before. Neither sibling moved, instead Arteria gave him a curious glance, deciding that Cass would be more entertaining to speak to. "I do love executions, Princess. It reminds me of the time that your axe severed my neck. I dearly hope that Emmet was able to experience the same ecstasy I did. The chills running down to his spine, silenced in a flash as his mind loses touch with his body." she cackled, reminiscing her previous death. "But my brother and I do need to depart, as delicious as combat would be... especially if he started playing properly. It is sad to bid you a farewell... but we shall be reunited soon."

Edited by Shin

"I wonder," Cass spoke out, at Arteria, nearly forgetting she was there. With the twins so quiet during the altercation, Cass had set them off of her priorities. With Emmet gone, Arteria became priority number one, once again. "Safe travels. Not that you need my wishing you well. All the same..." Dull. That was it. That was what Cass was feeling, now. Dull, and moderately empty. And she was tired of standing, collapsing down to sit. With a sigh, she looked across their ordeal once more. Could we have done this differently? A better outcome, a smarter outcome? Or is this the best we can manage...? Perhaps better than most, but nothing close to how we've been making do.

Sidney averted her gaze when Emmet didn't respond. Fine. If he continues to display that he doesn't deserve my respect, then I won't show it to him. The sound was more than enough to let her know what happened, anyway. But when the sword-wielding siblings spoke up to taunt the group, she started to feel rage build up once more. Why does Cass speak with them so casually? "What an absurd turn of events... that a vial of liquid could turn people against each other is madness. Though, Emmet's own character was rather lacking to be persuaded by such a thing, still. Who knows what other objects of desire are out there that people would engage in such treachery to obtain..." Saying anything directly to the twins felt like it would be playing along with their mindgames- besides, Sidney had no idea what to say to them anyway.

It came as a bit of a shock that Prince Owen hadn't heard what happened to Scuttle. Is he feigning ignorance? The importance of the matter was almost synonymous to Scuttle's own crime, and yet she was still free to roam as she pleased and Emmet was about to be put to the sword. He didn't want to argue about unfairness for a guilty man, but that's what it came down to. And yet, Owen's expression remained resolute.

That said, standing in the way of the Prince of Wyke wasn't something he would consider without an extremely good reason. And unfortunately for Emmet, he just wasn't good enough. He would leave it to Queen Ethel to voice any objections if she chose to do so. "Very well, if that is your desire," Alain replied, recoiling slightly as the Prince brought out his Epee. Despite whatever crimes Emmet may have committed, having him drown in his own blood seemed far too grim. Emmet himself figured as much, and Owen decided that the man's final request be granted. 

Part of him felt something close to pity for Emmet. They had both been striving for something to achieve--Emmet with his fountain, and Alain with his magic. But Emmet's lack of foresight and inability to control himself had led to his downfall. That's where Alain managed to supersede him. And perhaps Emmet was none to pleased with that outcome, as even while he prepared for death, he still tried to bring light to Alain's darker dealings. "There is only one principle which remains immortal for our kind. Death. May you find peace in yours," he said simply, turning away as the sword was brought down. 

He wasn't sure whether to applaud Emmet's persistence, or laugh at his folly. 

"He would, wouldn't he?" A frown of disdain was the only movement Owen bothered Apellon with, his mind still parsed Emmet's last words. As it were, Owen's resolve wasn't as whole as he wished --as much as he remained stoic, the mental exertion left the prince unsettled. He told not to be buried... so utterly absurd, 'Champion of Death'... ugh, take this man off of my face. To form complete thoughts was a struggle of its own.

"Get out of my sight." My kingdom... it's not just sacrifice, I'll change it, I'll end the war. You'll see. You'll all see. I'm the only one that truly cares. "Leave before I change my mind, swordsman." Not a smart idea... he doesn't want to fight either. Are we safe?

His eyes averted Emmet's body. Owen needed a break.

"Hmph..." Freya lowered her guard as no attack came, frowning as she observed Emmet's failed attack and as his fate was carried out. It was an odd feeling to see him go. While he had been helpful before, that he was willing to turn on her because they were not close was an easy way for the soldier to lower her opinion on the bowman. She advanced forward towards the prince and princess, spear still at the ready. Even though Princess Cassandra is somehow cordial to these people... I don't necessarily have to hold the same stance. Saying farewell or not, with their speed a surprise attack could be easy. "I don't appreciate your selection of me, and I won't forget it if we do meet again. And I will be prepared for the both of you if we do."

Apellon gave a bow as Owen demanded his departure. "Most kind of you, Prince Owen. We wish you a well journey, you and all of you companions." he replied, grinning over at Emmet's corpse. "Except Emmet of course, I can't imagine any journey he is taking at this moment is even remotely pleasant. Although I am uncertain your path ahead is much better. I look forward to seeing you and your group again. Come, Arteria... we must continue our journey."

With that both Arteria and Apellon both made their way to the edge of the group, walking towards a collection of hills in the background. After they'd gotten about a dozen feet away, Arteria turned back briefly, for one last message to Cass. "You too, Princess. I hope you can prepare for your first lesson... otherwise it might be your last and only one." she cackled, walking into the distance with her brother. Even as they departed, the pair had left an uneasy atmosphere among the group, an unspoken threat they'd given them.

Owen's group had lost two of their own that day, and the journey ahead to Raewald had been made complicated by the appearance of both Malaphar, and the knowledge that their home of Wyke had been invaded. Whether or not Owen would be able to trust Queen Ethel was another story, but with the continent at the brink of war, his country needed him. However, with Earl Edion scheming as the nefarious Mr. E, could Owen even trust the people from his beloved Wyke?

Act 3 is complete! Do not post in this topic, please wait for Act 4 to be posted