Sun & Moon Anime Discussion

Master Thunderblade

I was wondering what you guys think about the new upcoming Sun & Moon anime...
I don't really follow the pokémon anime anymore, but from what I've gathered the X&Y series were (generally) positively received and considered a step in the right direction.
I can't help but be a bit concerned when looking at this trailer... I guess I should applaud the fact that they're trying to change the formula after all these years, but I think many fans are going to be disappointed when it comes to the more simplistic artstyle (which reminds me of Yo-kai watch) and the new story concept that seems to be targeted to a even younger audience than the one right now. Of course there are a lot of things we don't know yet, so maybe it is too soon to draw conclusions? Is there still interest from older fans towards the anime?
Maybe Game Freak is trying to split their viewers into two age groups, 'Pokémon Generations' catering towards an older audience and the core series towards a younger one?
Let the speculation and or discussion commence!

P.S. I'm aware of the fact that the Pokémon sub-forum is listed under 'general gaming' and that this topic covers the anime and not a game. But in my eyes, this place still seemed the best location to post this thread.
Also I do not own or made the featured video, that honor goes to youtuber giancarloparimango11.

Edited by Masterthunderblade

Traditional School anime: Pokémon edition.

Gotta say no one expected it when the Corocoro leak happened.

It might seem a step back from the almost DBZ style of XY, but I suppose that every region has a different anime feel. Depending on how the XY anime ends, this might be a good thing for Ash, especially if he has to adapt to a region as radically different as Alola.

It might seem a step back from the almost DBZ style of XY, but I suppose that every region has a different anime feel. Depending on how the XY anime ends, this might be a good thing for Ash, especially if he has to adapt to a region as radically different as Alola.

I was just being silly.

I still think it's a very odd direction, though.

I thought he lost in Kalos in spite of people claiming he had grown as a character and a trainer.

Can someone tell me what the point of the anime is if it's stuck in a loop merely meant to show off the latest region?

You literally just answered your question, it's meant to show off the latest region and nothing more really.

Hey, that new style doesn't look that bad, honestly. I don't get why people are complaining about it.

At least they're not getting garbage like us Scooby Doo fans got (seriously, this Pokemon anime style doesn't look half as bad as Be Cool, Scooby Doo! does). Powerpuff Girls got ruined too. I'm glad Pokemon isn't getting that awful treatment.

Edited by Anacybele

You literally just answered your question, it's meant to show off the latest region and nothing more really.

The reason why I asked is because I don't see the appeal, and wondered what fans of the series liked about what they watched.

Meh, I'm not really interested in it.

The best Ash ever was was when he was in Sinnoh, in my opinion, and that was where I happened to stop watching the anime back in the day. It was mostly because of Paul, who was as a foil (and a stab towards IRL competitive battlers) to Ash and served to challenge his methods on training his Pokemon, which did indeed give Ash some needed character development. Paul vs. Ash is still the best battle to me; the animation is a bit dated but, overall, it is much better.

I thought he lost in Kalos in spite of people claiming he had grown as a character and a trainer.

Can someone tell me what the point of the anime is if it's stuck in a loop merely meant to show off the latest region?

Nostalgia?

Hey, that new style doesn't look that bad, honestly. I don't get why people are complaining about it.

It's not horrible, but looks rather simple compared to XY.

The new anime does not seem to take us the old fans of the series to consideration,The new anime is more for kids.

I think they should give us an anime like Generations with a new protagonist,cast,Team Rocket{The evil side portrayed in Generations} and have it be a season for every region also have the protagonist win the league for once.

The reason why I asked is because I don't see the appeal, and wondered what fans of the series liked about what they watched.

Honestly?

Seeing cutemon moving

and i wish i am kidding. The main reason i watched XY is because i heard Ash caught a Goomy

While I'm not a huge fan of the new artwork/poster of Sun and Moon - for one, it looks like a Summer School hijinks for someone who should have something more epic in acknowledgement with what everyone just did in XYZ - I'm glad that people here are more level-headed. (The the other forum I'm in has a lot of doom-saying at the moment. Granted, it's not entirely unjustified, but still...)

• 1 month later...

Still on the first page so no necro.

First two episodes are out in Japanese. I watched the first, the animation was really freakin nice. It was very fluid and extremely expressive, if less detailed than XY/Kalos. I'd say the trade off of detail was totally worth the fluidity and expression, but that's subjective I guess

While I couldn't understand precisely what was being said, the general idea got through. Ash and Delia won a vacation to Alola in a tombola game, Oak asked them to deliver an egg to Samson and the Pokémon school catches Ash's eye. He's worryingly energetic, though, so a maturity regression might unfortunately be the case... ugh, not again. This is why I'm so against the character being kept around.

Lillie was freaking adorbs even if she doesn't do much in the episode.

Edit: Kukui doesn't have a wife in the anime continuity so no Burnet for no apparent reason.

Edited by Glaceon Mage