Fates Character Design Opinions (Final Day #37 - Arete, Sumeragi, Anankos)

Naturesshadow

Since we've had a daily topic about what we think of characters, and one about the music of Fates, I decided to make one where we give our opinions on the character's aesthetics. Which might have been discussed a bit in the character discussion thread but for this thread It shall be the main focus. Does the clothing appeal to you? any facial features that really makes the character pop? anything that just looks odd to you? post em here. I'll stick with a 2 characters per day formula.

List so far:

#1 - Corrin (M/F)

#2 - Azura

#3 - Ryoma

#4 - Xander

#5 - Hinoka

#6 - Camilla

#7 - Takumi

#8 - Leo

#9 - Sakura

#10 - Elise

#11 - Felicia

#12 - Jakob

#13 - Kaze

#14 - Mozu

#15 - Silas

#16 - Gunter

#17 - Hana

#18 - Subaki

#19 - Effie

#20 - Arthur

#21 - Hinata

#22 - Oboro

#23 - Odin/Owain

#24 - Niles

#25 - Azama

#26 - Setsuna

#27 - Selena/Severa

#28 - Beruka

#29 - Saizo

#30 - Kagero

#31 - Laslow/Inigo

#32 - Peri

#31 - Rinkah

#32 - Hayato

#33 - Orochi

#34 - Nyx

#35 - Benny

#36 - Charlotte

#37 - Kaden

#38 - Keaton

#39 - Yukimura

#40 - Reina

#41 - Scarlet

#42 - Flora

#43 - Shura

#44 - Izana

#45 - Fuga

#46 - Anna

#47 - Kana

#48 - Shigure

#49 - Dwyer

#50 - Sophie

#51 - Midori

#52 - Shiro

#53 - Kiragi

#54 - Siegbert

#55 - Forrest

#56 - Selkie

#57 - Velouria

#58 - Ophelia

#59 - Rhajat

#58 - Soliel

#59 - Hisame

#60 - Caeldori

#61 - Percy

#62 - Asugi

#63 - Ignatius

#64 - Mitama

#65 - Nina

#66 - Mikoto

#67 - Lilith

#68 - Garon

#69 - Iago

#70 - Zola

#71 - Hans

#72 - Arete

#73 - Sumeragi

#74 - Anankos

To start us off I figured we'd start with:

#1 - Corrin (M/F)

I'm rather mixed about Corrin's design. It's not dull by any means and the black and white on the armour looks nice, It just looks a tad bit over designed in comparison to previous lord designs, particularly In comparison to our last avatar character Robin. Also the male version's hair is a tad silly, although the female's hair is actually quite nice. The headpiece is a nice touch to her design. With that said however her design suffers from unnecessary sexualisation in the form of those patch of exposed skin around the thighs. While not the biggest deal since Camilla and Charlotte exist it does feels forced onto her design as her male counterpart doesn't have anything like that (Similar for Effie when compared to Benny but I'll get to that later). It reminds me of Cherche's design in how inconsistent it was with that design choice. Also why do neither of them wear shoes? Since they were first revealed It's stuck out to me like a sore thumb (or in this case, a toe hehe). I'm guessing that it's because when they transform into a dragon they need space for their feet/hands? which is still odd since their armour seems to blend into their body upon transforming, at least that what it looks like.

Edit: Also when it came to custom avatar designs for the male I preferred the long hair one as it gave him an elfish look. Haven't used F!Corrin yet so not sure what I'd prefer for her.

I suppose we can also discuss Corrin's dragon design while we're at it. If there's one thing I noticed about this game and dragon's is that they seem to be really stretching what can be considered a dragon. Along with Lilith I just don't see them as a dragon, if anything the first thing I thought of upon seeing Corrin's dragon form was Xerneas from Pokemon X...while Lilith is just a bloody koi fish squirrel.

#2 - Azura

Azura certainly has an interesting design for a dancer. It's exotic, yet mysterious, which suits her character. The one leg stocking thing sticks out though since that's connected to her undergarment, so would that be considered a fan servicy design choice? or is it some kind of pants that just has one leg exposed? It reminds me of Palutena as she had one leg stocking as well. I like her long, flowing blue hair, which also looks hilarious ingame since some classes clothing clips through it or the gear from cloths shops, had her as a berserker recently and the combination of her hair with the barbarian look made me giggle.

Edited by Naturesshadow

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corrin (M/F)

I actually like Corrin's design—outside of M!Corrin's default hairstyle and the color scheme, that is. The color palatte seems a bit dull, in my opinion. Also, I am in the vast minority as I quite like the lack of shoes and the exposed thighs on the female's design. It's a bit complicated to explain, but the exposed thighs and no shoes create a sort of visual balance in my brain. Don't question it—it is merely an artistic preference of mine.

Azura

Her hair somewhat annoys me; it's those two ponytails she has. I do agree that her design gives her a sort of graceful yet mysterious aura, though I personally prefer the "Dark Song" outfit as the veil gives her added mystery.

As for the fan service, I suppose so? The only characters I really have an issue with is Camilla and Effie, mainly for their lack of pants. I can handle Camilla's boobs in my face, but seeing her wear underwear while riding a mount grinds my gears. For Effie, all they literally had to do was make her legs the same color as her panties and everything would have been okay. As for the other instances, Azura is a dancer, making it plausible for her to wear a revealing outfit to catch the eyes of her audience; and F!Corrin's thigh gap aren't that bad, in my opinion, because it isn't something slammed into the players face.

Fan service, in my opinion, is bad when it directly interferes with and muddles the general tone of a narrative, if that makes sense.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

I do agree that her design gives her a sort of graceful yet mysterious aura, though I personally prefer the "Dark Song" outfit as the veil gives her added mystery.

Ah, I forgot about the dark version, dangit! I actually prefer the dark version over the light one. It's slick black design with the veil looks more appealing, which in combination with the dark song made for a nice spectacle....But how the hell it worked as a disguise in Conquest I'll never know.

Azura is a dancer, making it plausible for her to wear a revealing outfit to catch the eyes of her audience

I agree with that. Hell, I was fine with Olivia's design because of this reason (I've liked all the dancers designs in Fire Emblem). Plus they need something easy to move around in so it makes sense.

and F!Corrin's thigh gap aren't that bad, in my opinion, because it isn't something slammed into the players face.

Fan service, in my opinion, is bad when it directly interferes with and muddles the general tone of a narrative, if that makes sense.

True, hence why I find F!Corrin's exposed thighs to be a minor complaint in comparison to what I'll have to say when Camilla comes around the corner, in fact the slammed into the players face situation will most definitely be coming up in Camilla's analysis. Personally I find fanservice to be more annoying when it feels forced onto the character, whether it's just there for "sex appeal" for the male gaze or if it just doesn't suit the character or their particular outfit and sadly a fair amount of characters in Fates suffer from this.

Edited by Naturesshadow

Kamui M/F

I actually quite like the design, aside from a few details. The color scheme is a subtle way to hint at his mixed origin. The layering on the chest looks like a mid-ground between armor and functional clothing and the tight fit makes it flow seamlessly into the dragon form. Overall it's a very smart design for a shapeshifter. The demerits would be the lack of shoes and the thigh gaps. The bare feet isn't bad by itself but when you remember that past manaketes (barring Myrrh who wore straps/sandals) had shoes and that Kamui is strangely the only Nohrian without shoes, it just doesn't fit. Even Flannel got shoes, what the heck, IS? For the thigh gap, all I have to say is that it's unnecessary fanservice. Mamui has pants, Femui would look just as good if her pants didn't have holes in them. Nohr Noble is even worse for Femui because she's 'upgraded' to a battle leotard with cleavage window.

Azura

Not symmetrical/10

Another mostly solid design. Elegant and alluring at the same time. Still, I can't stand the bare patch of skin around half her waste. It looks more like an artist forgot to color the dress in rather than an intentional design choice.

I suppose we can also discuss Corrin's dragon design while we're at it. If there's one thing I noticed about this game and dragon's is that they seem to be really stretching what can be considered a dragon. Along with Lilith I just don't see them as a dragon, if anything the first thing I thought of upon seeing Corrin's dragon form was Xerneas from Pokemon X...while Lilith is just a bloody koi fish squirrel.

To be fair, 'dragons' take many shapes and forms in different cultures. Fates' take on it is similar to the legendary Kirin/Qilin. While I would have preferred a more typical dragon like Myrrh, Kamui's version is interesting.

Edited by NekoKnight

I know I'm going to repeat this many times, but if I can see your ass, then I don't fully like your design.

Corrin

Their color palette is kind of dull in my opinion. I don't think Male Corrin looks all that great in any hair style. Female Corrin looks real cute depending on the hair style.

Azura

I like her design. She has an elegant look to her. I do hate that her Nohr outfit is one of the designs on the cover, yet she only wears it for 1 cutscene in the entire game. That is disappointing.

Corrin: I'm pretty indifferent to Corrin's design. The outfit is okay but kind of boring, F!Corrin gets those weird thigh windows, and the idea of walking everywhere in bare feet makes me cringe. The default Corrins are bland, though I guess that's to be expected with a default, and I don't care for most of the other customization options either. Overall, there's not a whole lot that I strongly dislike (thigh windows, and some of the customization options are just ugly), but there's nothing about it that I actually like either.

Azura: Azura's design is really cool in my opinion, and much better than her actual character. It's very elegant and adds to her mystery value (especially the dark version) and I kind of like that she only has the one stocking thing going on. The dress is fanservicey, but it's a dress, so it's supposed to be sexy; sexy dresses are much more acceptable than "sexy" armor designs, so it doesn't feel out of place or awkward at all.

FCorn has a solid top half (the puffy sleeves give more flavor to the design and her hair is good), but the unnecessary thigh holes kill it for me. MCorn's feel more boring--especially his hair options are all pretty lackluster.

I feel the thigh holes would bother me less if they were optional. I especially don't like it as a double standard--why do only the girl get it? Not a fan of the bare feet, either.

Azura's mostly visually pleasing. I'm not going to question how her sleeves stay on and her legging/panty hybrid is kinda confusing but overall it looks pretty good.

The Corrins: Not a fan of the design, the Nohr/Hoshido promotions, for either gender. I like the color palette, we have enough colors in the lords as it is, and I actually like how the dragon form isn't a typical dragon, but that's it. Over designed for the sake of being cool and a main character. Also, Corrin's first time transforming and his/her clothes are conveniently made for such a thing? That's a load of Pegasus dung.

Azura: OK design. I like the dress, her hair is a bit ridiculous and why do we need more exposed panties? The dark dress and veil would have been a great option for Conquest, but no dice. For a dancer, better clothing than Olivia, but worse headwear. So yeah, no strong opinions one way or the other.

EDIT: The bare feet, whyyyyyy?!?!. My least favorite part actually. Azura would make sense, but only when she is dancing. And Corrin? Making informed guesses is one thing, but Corrin doesn't even have that going in his/her favor. How hard would it have been to tell us why they were barefoot, IS?

Edited by Slyfox

Corrins: Mostly like. The color scheme is a nice way to hint at his origins in both worlds, the overall design of the armor is cool (especially the dragon-like spine on the back), the skin-tight clothing flows well into dragon form, and speaking of which, the dragon form is very neat and unique. The bare feet is a bit weird but adds character. M!Corrin's hair doesn't bother me, weirdly--it's dorky, but that kind of fits him. I find Fem!Corrin worse because of the unnecessary thigh holes, plus the sexualization of her Nohr Noble and Hoshido Noble classes ruins two perfectly good designs.

Azura: The one gripe I have is that weird patch of skin on her midrift--it looks so odd, like someone just cut out a huge piece of fabric. Other than that, I think her design is very fitting for her--pretty, elegant, and mysterious. Her "Dark Song" dress is even better, the darker colors just contrast her pale hair wonderfully and the veil adds to the mystique.

Kamui:

I'm not a fan of the armor.

For obvious reasons Male variety is meh. They aren't eye catching. They're boring.

Probably why the female version gets waifu'd.

The female variety default has an eye catching long hair for me.

Aqua:

Oh man, the dancer thing.

Everyone was thirsty for her back on January.

While that has died down, I'd say she is still visually pleasing. So much so that my significant other calls her "the wife". There's a joke within our circle of friends that Belinda is questioning her orientation because of Aqua, haha.

Jokes aside, she initially had that mysterious look that really made me take a new look at FE dancer cliches.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Oh, I'm so tempted to make the obvious meme joke involving a certain word starting with the letter "A"... but I won't. I guess that's technically a meme as well.

While talking about the designs, I'll also mention something about the animations, except for in the event of running into two characters with the exact same animations, but even then, I might talk about if I think the animation fits the character. I'll be referring to their canon/default classes in this regard.

Corn Bred
I like female Corrin's design for the most part, obviously barring the random sex appeal bit. A lot of the options look great; there aren't any I particularly dislike. And I'm glad that we've got more hair color options, obviously. Another thing I like is the ability to add a "face detail", and for females, giving the avatar a hair accessory. As we know in Awakening, you could only get certain facial decorations with particular faces, so it's nice that we've got more customization in general. And I like the animations of both genders' sword-fighting animations, though I like female Corrin's victory pose in particular, as it's like a reflection of Azura's victory pose.

I don't like male Corrin nearly as much. Like someone else said, the hair options aren't too great. A few of the face options are quite punchable, IMO; I dunno why. All around, just a bit duller. And it isn't like I'm sexist; there are plenty of men on both sides of the war that have pretty schwifty designs. Some generics are more interestng speaking of which, will we talk about the designs of the generics as well? Though those complaints are apart from the clothes, obviously; both Corrins have a rather unique outfit. Though how exactly does it come off? And more importantly, why are the feet bare? I recall someone saying it was to connect with the earth or whatever, but nothing about that particular design choice is explained in-game. It's just... random. But like someone said, it's a nice outfit for a shapeshifter.

The promotion outfits aren't my favorite, though. The scroll/tome and staff/rod animations for them are very boring, too. The tattered cape for the Nohr Noble is a nice touch, I guess. It's too bad the dragon form doesn't change with the promotion. Speaking of, the dragon design itself is kind of interesting. It's nice that the antlery bits on the head and the spiny bits on the tail are actually put to use in combat. What I love about both sword-fighting Corrin and dragon-form Corrin is that they have a unique animation for using Dragon Fang.

Mamui has pants, Femui would look just as good if her pants didn't have holes in them.

Luckily for us, we actually have proof of this fact because of Super Smash Bros. Even though Smash fans hacked the game to edit the thigh holes back in anyway, and most people cried "censorship" when they found out about the lack of thigh holes, but that's beside the point.

Azura of the Azure Skies
Wow, she has a lot going on with her design. It's very elaborate and unique! The colors blend well with her long, light blue hair. And the animations are pretty nice, too. When she uses her refresh ability, it's like she's summoning those grey waves she always sings about. Some have commented about how her face looks odd in her profile, and I... kind of agree. I think it's alright; she has a stern look, which fits the author's intent of making her mostly serious. Another complaint is the asymmetry; I actually like that because it reflects her familial ties and mysterious origins.

The dress is fanservicey, but it's a dress, so it's supposed to be sexy; sexy dresses are much more acceptable than "sexy" armor designs, so it doesn't feel out of place or awkward at all.

I have to agree with this. I mean, to be fair, I'm not one to go all up in arms about fanservicey designs; I only really get upset about fanservice if that's all a game has to offer, and in most other cases, I just don't care about the sex appeal part of it. But I'd prefer if it made sense. The exposed thighs and derrieres of female combatants makes absolutely no sense, especially given that it's a sensitive region. I'll get more into all of that when the time comes.

Also, to the topic creator: do you have an approximate schedule for updating this thread? I know RoyLKing had a schedule when he made the character opinion thread that approximated when he'd update.

Corn: Only looks good when promoted, comparatively lazy and underwhelming otherwise

Azoorah: I don't know how I feel about the showing panties, but it's at least miles better than whatever it is Olivia wears

While talking about the designs, I'll also mention something about the animations, except for in the event of running into two characters with the exact same animations, but even then, I might talk about if I think the animation fits the character. I'll be referring to their canon/default classes in this regard.

Hmm I didn't think about that. The animations would be worth talking about considering some of the unique ones some characters get (E.G Charlotte's victory pose).

speaking of which, will we talk about the designs of the generics as well?

Once the main cast and side characters have been done we can do them as an extra along with the paralogue bosses that can be captured and other noteworthy designs.

Corn

Gonna be honest, the default male version looks really, really stupid to me. The taller male looks fine, but the smaller one is just... ugh.

Both female versions look nice. The fanservice in the base design is only a tiny bit. Seriously guys, it's not that big of a deal...

I really like the outfit for being sleek and very fitting of the way Corrin fights, although I feel the spine on the back was a bit... too much.

Azura

Very nice. I do wish the "Disguise" version was playable, but eh.

I do hope we go back to the Ninian-style Dancer eventually. Not because I like one style over the other, I just feel like every Dancer has a very similar design.

Today we shall tackle the Elder brothers of Hoshido and Nohr:

#3 - Ryoma

The mighty Lord of Lobsters. For a Lord character I feel they need to have a design that catches your attention, or at least looks high and mighty, In the regard Ryoma certainly looks fancy. the striking red armour mixed with the white clothing makes for a nice mixture of colours and pretty much represents the main colour scheme for Hoshido. I also really like the impressive mullet hair he's got going for him, I have to wonder how long it took for him to grow it to that length. Also I noticed that he has the same headpiece that Yen'fey had, reminds me of how Chon'sin is pretty much what Hoshido is. Overall a solid design with a mighty presence. His Raijintou also looks flashy in action, a more aggressive version of the Levin Sword.

#4 - Xander

A nice contrast to Ryoma's setup. Rocking the black, gold and purple scheme which I really like (more so than Ryoma's, although both are good). From the ripples on the chest area he looks to be very heavily armoured and with little things like the white piece around his neck (not sure what that is, might be what Virion had) makes him look more posh in comparison to Ryoma. His hair, while not as mighty as the mullet man Ryoma, does have a nice elegance to it and makes for nice contrast in comparison to Ryoma's wild hair. The Siegfried is quite fancy but the animation for shooting at ranged with it looks rather odd as he holds it up vertically and the beam of darkness comes from the body and not the sword itself.

Lobster Chrom

I feel the red was a little too much. Maybe a duller shade would've been better.

Also, wow that hair is massive. You need to cut some of that off man.

Xander

Blondy McPurpleson in full fashion. His design if neutral for me. Not my favorite, but not bad.

Edited by TrueEm

Ryoma

Despite the chance of drawing the ire of our resident Ryoma fanatic expert, I will say that I much prefer the lobster motif on Sumeragi. While, overall, he has a pretty neat design, I can't help but feel as if it's a little...out there? Haha, I would say that it contradicts his personality, but I have already been schooled that Ryoma is a lot more hot-blooded than one would initially think. I do agree with TrueEm that I would have preferred a duller, more saturated red, though. I do like his headgear (I believe it is called a happuri) as it reminds me of Yen'fay, like you said. Raijinto is pretty cool, though. Overall, I do like the design...but it isn't one of my favorites.

Xander

I will be the first to admit that I am biased towards Xander so, of course, his design will be one of my favorites. I love just about everything of his design—except his pointy shoes, which I will admit that any other shoe design wouldn't really fit. I believe my favorite part of his design is his hair—the curls and crown do give him a regal vibe. Seigfried is a pretty awesome; it also annoys me that the beam from the sword comes from the body and not the tip (pause). I like his darker color scheme in contrast to the Hoshidan siblings; I really love the wine red color used.

Lightning Lobster Lion

I like the red, gold and white color scheme (more proof that Ryoma x Scarlet is OTP) but the mask is a little too much. The layering of the armor around his waist evokes a lobster but his long hair is more like a lion. Dark Souls did lightning lions before it was cool.

Definitely a cool sword, I just wish the ranged attack had better animations.

#Xanderdidnothingwrong

A well put together design. The purple, black and gold is a good color scheme for the dark kingdom. The armor looks tough but regal at the same time. He definitely looks the man that he is in his supports.

Edited by NekoKnight

Both niichans pretty much top list of my favorite designs in fates.

Ryoma's glorious mane is M A J E S T I C and also provides one of the most enjoyable drawing experiences for me. It does also help that I'm more inclined to look at men with long hair, and the way his is just makes it pop. And then Kozaki decides to draw him in a ponytail? Shit man, that's the end of me. Good bye world.

I do tend towards flashier designs in general (tbh fates designs have nothing on what I tend to put in my own designs), so Ryoma's level of detail sits very well with me. Also long coats? Mmmmmm long coats. The only complaint is that drawing him in full regalia hurts my hand after a while.

tl;dr Ryoma's design is everything I like put together at the same time. Molto bene.

I don't have as much to say about Xander but I think he looks good. As most Awakening designs didn't aesthetically impress me, his presence in the first trailer really made an impression. I remember thinking "wow these designs got a lot better" just based on his portrait. Definite a design that suits him well.

Ooh, designs! I love talking about designs (as my dead Favorite Designs poll indicates. oboro was the most popular if i remember right).

insert corn joke

I agree with the majority on the opinion of M!Corrin's design being a bit lackluster. Out of the hair customization options I think I only remember liking 2 of them...? The default male hair looks better in the official art than it does in in-game sprites and Sm4sh, IMO. Though I quite like the colour scheme of the armor, with the sleek silver and dark blue cape. F!Corrin catches my eye more because of her long hair and headband..........and yeah the thigh gaps but like the others have said it's unnecessary but at least it's not constantly waved in your face. All in all I think F!Corrin just has more things going on for her in terms of design, and her hair options are infinitely better than the male's. I think in an interview Kozaki mentioned wanting to try a more disheveled look to make the image of someone who wasn't comfortable in their own skin, hence the bare feet. It's an odd design choice, but personally I think it's unique and pulls the picture together well.

azuuYouuuuu are the ocean's gray waves

Yeah, I agree that Azura's design in general is easy on the eyes and really adds that graceful, mysterious charm to her character. The whites and blues go well together. I personally think she had to be so... elaborate in terms of design since she is essentially the poster girl of Fates. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bugged by the revealed skin on the waist of her dress, but I don't mind the single stocking/panty thing for some reason. What does kind of bug me is her hair, with the tiny pigtails and that one strand of long hair that goes across her face. Every time I see it I just want to cut it off, like... doesn't that get annoying, Azura?! (and i know how annoying it is to have hair in your face because i tried to get rukia kuchiki hair when i was 7) Her hair in general is a little grating to me. I know the long hair is supposed to add to her Mysterious Charmâ„¢, but her hair just looks so big in comparison to the rest of her body that sometimes it just looks like a giant noodley mess in 3D models.

crab

I also think Ryoma's red is a little too bold for his actual character, but the overall aesthetic of the armor is nice. HE TAKES UP SO MUCH ROOM ON THE SCREEN Personally I think it would have been more fitting for Sumeragi and Ryoma to have colourswapped armor; the king with the bold, powerful red and the crown prince with the tamer but regal white. Plus maybe it would have gone a bit better with the whole Light vs. Dark thing with Hoshido and Nohr. His hair is as long as he is powerful, so I guess overall the long hair and the bulky armor helps give off the vibe of a dragon. I really like his hair colour, too.

alexandra

I know his armor is supposed to make him look big and powerful, but is it odd that I want to hug him upon seeing him? It's not just out of my personal liking of the character, but he just looks... soft to me. But anyway, I love the colour palette, love the curly blonde hair and the hairpiece to top it off, love how the Siegfried looks in his hands, yeah. I like Xander's design. It might not be a favorite of mine, but I like it well enough. It's suiting for a crown prince of Nohr and that's what really matters.

Corrin - solid, neutral design, and I really like it, minus the bare feet. I'm also not a fan of the Nohr tattered cape. I love the collar and Lady Corrin's puffy sleeves.

Azura - outfit is fine and suitable for a dancer. But all I can think is how annoying her hair would be (plus hot and heavy) and how often it'd get in her eyes.

Ryoma - I like everything except his helmet and breastplate. Let his magnificent locks run free.

Xander - I think his aesthetic is great; taken separately it all sounds terrible (black armor, silly capelet, lanky blond hair) but put it all together and it does come across as suitably royal and imposing. Also I am a sucker for black, gold and purple.

Also I noticed that he has the same headpiece that Yen'fey had, reminds me of how Chon'sin is pretty much what Hoshido is.

Chon'sin and Valm story elements is a messy mix of China and Japan in the localized version. It's just straight up Japan in the Japanese version.

So, yes, that's somewhat accurate.

Ryouma:

Yuichi Nakamura voicing doesn't help during that Conquest clip. Really selling the samurai mentality associated with his design.

But that's not part of this thread...

Anyways the whole red and white fits him. He stands out as a representative of his nation. He feels... authoritative with all that hair. Lighting Sword backs up that "powerful" feeling.

Marx:

I mean, come on. His name screams authority. Same kinda "older brother prince" feel from his armor.

I really got to appreciate it on the animated cutscenes when you fight him.

Ryoma: I like it, overall, though like others said I wish his reds weren't so saturated. I also think his spiky mullet hair would have looked better in a ponytail a la Takumi. But yeah, the armor design is really neat and his headpiece is cool. Very regal looking.

Xander: As with Ryoma, I like it mostly, although one thing that bothers me is his cape being so short in the back, especially compared to that...strip of fabric in the front.

Corrin

I'm really not a fan of the male version. Even with the customisation, his faces always look off, and he only had one or two good hairstyles. He looks just fine in the art in the first post, bu in-game, he just always looks dopey. Or maybe that's just his voice influencing my view of his appearance. His outfit looks off on him.

With female Corrin, her "sex appeal" was never a big deal for me, and I was a little surprised to hear that it was a problem for many. I legitimately didn't even care about it. I never looked at her thigh slits and go "Oh man. That turns me on, so much." I just went, "Oh. Okay," and moved on with my life. It wasn't ever really thrown in your face. Anyway, moving on, female Corrin had far better customisation options; I love her wild DBZ-esque hairstyle option. She actually looks normal, and not dopey as hell. And her outfits look like they actually suit her, too.

Azura

I can't help but compare her to Olivia, since she's the only other dancer in the series I know, so, I can at least say she dresses more modestly than Olivia. I really like her design, and I'm not sure whether it's my favourite, but it's up there. Actually scratch that, I'd say it is my favourite, and if not, it's definitely number two. One issue I do have that may or may not fall under "design" is that she always has a serious face, and doesn't smile a lot, and yet I don't have an issue with her personality. So, it'd be a little weird for her to be smiling through some of her serious lines. But I digress. For obvious reasons, I really like her Dark Song design.

Ryoma

His attire looks very impractical. Anyway, I'm pretty indifferent towards his design. It does seem a little, the red does look a little excessive, but colour aside, it does seem to match the theme of Hoshido fairly well, especially since he's essentially the leader of its army. He looks very traditionalist, so if nothing else, I can say he looks the part. I know this isn't a comparison thread, and it's also a thread about the characters, and not their weapons, but I like the look of Raijinto a lot more than Siegfried. Sure, it's just a normal sword with lightning effects, but I prefer minimalistic over highly "extravagant".

Xander

Personality and story stupidity aside, I think he has a pretty cool design. He looks the most "royal" looking to me, which, I suppose, would make sense, seeing as he's the Crown Prince, and has the most regal air about him. Seeing as he's a pretty good tank, he certainly looks as bulky as he actually is. As slightly over the top as I feel like Siegfried is, I can't deny that it suits Xander, and the theme of Nohr very well.

Edited by Frenzify

Lobster Chrom

Lightning Lobster Lion

#Xanderdidnothingwrong

These got a chuckle out of me. Good job.

Once the main cast and side characters have been done we can do them as an extra along with the paralogue bosses that can be captured and other noteworthy designs.

Gotcha. Yeah, I do want to talk about the generics since some of them have pretty stupid helmets, while others look bad ass.

Anyway, let's get down to business... to defeat... the CRAB!

Ryomer

Certainly an eye-catching design. I sort of wish he had some other classes in which he has a unique design much like Takumi or (I think) Azura, but his base class should suffice. His entire design pretty much represents Hoshido; a general color scheme of red, gold, and white, an outfit that obviously harkens back to feudal Japan's samurai, and... very large, spiky hair akin to Super Saiyan 3 from DBZ though I actually like Ryoma's design more than Super Saiyan 3; at least he has eyebrows All around very regal, befitting his station and age relative to many of the other characters. I like his upgraded Levin Sword, too.

His animations are the swordmaster animations, and again, they fit his character. I like that with certain blades, they'll actually be dual wielding two of them, and thus their animation gets changed to accommodate this new development. Does it change anything gameplay-wise? Nope. But does it look cool? Hell yeah, even when the character sheaths the blades, they manage to look kick ass. Their single blade animations are pretty cool, too, and the Levin Sword/Raijinto distant strike is certainly a step up from the typical animation you'd see in Awakening, though the throwing animations aren't too impressive (they're ripped straight from Awakening's Amatsu 2-range animation, I think).

Xander Root

Obviously, his design contrasts Ryoma's. However, he again manages to look quite regal and impressive, which is how I'd also describe his matching sword. Between the blonde hair and the dark armor, he embodies Nohr. He always either looks stern or proud, which obviously is supposed to reflect his characterization.

His animations aren't too remarkable, though. They're basically just the typical cavalier animations, though I would like to take this time to genuinely appreciate how much the 3D animations of this staple class have improved so much since Path of Radiance. I'd also like to point out that the magic effect Xander's sword Siegfried shoots out at 2-range is the same as the one that comes from Odin's Grimoire. I think it's pretty cool.