Fates Character Design Opinions (Final Day #37 - Arete, Sumeragi, Anankos)

Naturesshadow

With that said, out of curiousity what's your opinion on the Cipher cards having various artists doing each character with varying styles?

I definitely don't mind it. The Cipher cards are often done by professional artists, and the difference in styles isn't jarring at all. In fact, with Trading Card Games, a variety of artists actually adds to the game, rather than diminishes its value. And I think it's important for artists to be able to embrace multiple styles while also recognizing when a single, consistent style is necessary.

I'm more referring to an unprofessional inconsistency. Like, say a hypothetical video game company made a 2D RPG. But in it, they decided that for one of the characters, their sprites will be hand-drawn by an amateur, while another character's sprites will be ripped from pictures they took of a bad 3D model (think "Limbo of the Lost", if you know what that is), and the terrain will just be a series of screenshots of FE1 maps. I mean, there are other reasons to hate the game, but that's the kind of inconsistency that makes me legitimately hate the creators.

It's kind of interesting how the 4koma art gave her black hair as opposed to her in game navy blue. She's gone full Japanese.

She's still the glorious fashionista of all our hopes and dreams, and she'll rock that black hair just as well.

Admiral Ackbar

You... you... you clown! I see what you did there.

Aight, time for Camilla's ladies.

"Not looking so... severe... heheh, get it?"

Although the reality is, she almost always looks severe. Finally get to talk about the quilts all the mercs wear. I believe it has an actual basis in the real world or something, but I can't quite put my finger on it. They look awfully fancy, though, which I find kind of odd, since among the descriptions that come to my mind when I think of a typical mercenary, "fancy" is not one of them. I like the extravagant shield; much cooler than the old merc shields. The Bow Knight class... is a little wonky looking, imo. I like the left arm guard and shield, but everything else feels off-kilter, and I think it's due to the pauldron and those pants. I actually preferred the Bow Knight look in Awakening.

I've said this before, and it's pretty obvious, but her design is literally Tsundere. Even more so in this game than in Awakening, since she doesn't have the option of having any other hair color than red. It doesn't help that her neutral expression is a frown. I don't think they could make her look any more Tsundere if they tried.

As a Mercenary or a Hero, the animations are fairly solid. There's one animation I remember in particular for the Hero class, and it's when they spin the sword around low to the ground, then spring up like a cyclone and bring their sword down on the enemy. It's pretty damn impressive.

Same VA, same Tsundere voice. Though there's gotta be some award for Selena's batshit crazy laughter. Is death really that funny? I could imagine in CQ, she belts out that laugh right after killing Oboro. Like, come on, Selena, is that any way to treat your sometimes head-canoned wife?

Punished Beruka

Since she's one of the few mounted female units that isn't sexualized in a dumb way, I'm already inclined to like her. Her armor is pretty cool, not gonna lie. I also like her tattered scarf, which shares the same color as her eyes and meshes well with her dark design. When I think of proper dragon-riding attire, Beruka's uniform is one that would come to mind. And yes, it also fits my idea of an assassin design.

Even though she's a trained killer and outwardly cold, she still manages to be fairly pretty. The hair and headband combo work well, and she has one of the pretties sets of eyes. Is it just me, or is she really short? Maybe it's her portrait, but she looks shorter than some of the other characters, like Camilla and Selena. I guess she's about the same size as a lot of the girls, but I just notice it with her more. Also, I actually removed that headband by giving her a head accessory (I did it because of a prompt), and she looks... surprisingly disarming. Very strange, how that headband makes her look so much more intimidating. And yes, she was still a wyvern rider when I did this, and she had no other accessories on. Still looked a little disarming, especially when she smiles.

With her animations, there's a lot of down-thrusting and up-thrusting to help her with finishing the mission. They're the same as the Malig Knight animations, pretty much. Except there's no tail swipe attack, I don't think. I can't remember. Same victory pose as Camilla, but I just gotta mention it again because I love scratching under the necks of adorable pets.

I think I was initially surprised with her voice being relatively high pitched. However, there's something charming about her being the little deadly assassin, and between my perception of her being short and her voice, that's what it comes down to. It's like the inverse of what Benny is.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Camilla: My favorite character of them all. Best character design imo! I love how her hair is designed alongside with her armor and her overall body and yeah, I like the fanservice too. I have no issues with her overall designs. Sure, her bottoms aren't very well covered but seeing as how she rides a dragon throughout the entire game (except cutscenes), It really doesn't matter that much.

Hana: Hana is one of the few character designs that I like in Birthright. She has a rather cute smile, the dress color blends perfectly with the character and while she doesn't have any fanservice compared to Camilla, its alright although I don't like how she has curtains at the back of her butt.

Oboro: Oboro is again one of the few that I like in Birthright only her design is more appealing and her colors are so vibrant including her hair, her clothes. Overall I like the character's looks.

Edited by Harvey

I definitely don't mind it. The Cipher cards are often done by professional artists, and the difference in styles isn't jarring at all. In fact, with Trading Card Games, a variety of artists actually adds to the game, rather than diminishes its value. And I think it's important for artists to be able to embrace multiple styles while also recognizing when a single, consistent style is necessary.

I'm more referring to an unprofessional inconsistency. Like, say a hypothetical video game company made a 2D RPG. But in it, they decided that for one of the characters, their sprites will be hand-drawn by an amateur, while another character's sprites will be ripped from pictures they took of a bad 3D model (think "Limbo of the Lost", if you know what that is), and the terrain will just be a series of screenshots of FE1 maps. I mean, there are other reasons to hate the game, but that's the kind of inconsistency that makes me legitimately hate the creators.

The variety in various styles for the cards is quite nice, especially when they do the cards that make up a picture if you put them together (like the latest series that has Sigurd along with 2 other characters making a neat little swords together pose). Although some of them do look a tad dopey, but are amusing in that regard (Mia's Lvl 1 cards comes to mind).

Fair enough, It would be jarring to come across a design in that fashion. Consistency in that case is key to good design.

Ryoma's retainers take the stage, Saizo and Kagero:

#29 - Saizo

In contrast to our green ninja Kaze, Saizo's got the piping hot red theme going on. The hair I find suits him well, with the spiked up fringe in comparison to Kaze's more flat, pointy hair. It's interesting that he's always wearing the ninja mask, which makes for a threatening look. A solid design and an interesting take on the Christmas knight's tradition. His rough, growling like voice is suitable for his character and it almost reminded me of Steve Blum.

#30 - Kagero

The non Christmas knight ninja. The female variant of the ninja is certainly different to our ninja bros. It's alot more revealing in the leg/chest department in comparison and the yellow cape is an interesting thing to wear for this profession (Wouldn't it be a bit problematic with stealth due to it's colour and length getting in the way?). Her ponytail hair is lovely and another addition to the Takumi hair fan club and she looks nice with the maroon colour scheme. I suppose it's also worth noting her jiggle physics on her animations, which I didn't even notice at first until I invited her into the treehouse and it made me wonder if Team Ninja got in on the production. Her voice is a nice soothing one.

The animations for the Ninjas are pretty sweet. Very flashy and acrobatic, just as I'd expect from a Ninja. I especially like the crit animations and the one where they start to perform a pokemon double team. It also makes pulling off Lethality pretty satisfying.

It's not like I like your design or anything, b-baka

Selena is definitely my guilty pleasure character. I don't think the Awakening characters should have come to Fates but who can complain when she LOOKS SO GOOD! The best hair color in the game and one of the best class outfits in the game. She looks far better than she did in Awakening. Stylish boots and gloves, a cool shield and an excellent composition of red, white and dark brown. Mercenaries just look great in general but I like the feminine touches for her design, such as the tights and skirt.

While I don't like Bow Knights (particularly the females ones) as much in Fates, it's nice that her red color scheme caries over to it. A shame that her Hero outfit is generic. When will IS give us unique color palettes to both promoted classes?

Big Boss

This is the outfit I wish Camilla had, minus the tattered cape because she's a princess. Dark, hard, unforgiving, this is a design that inspires fear in the enemy. I love the designs on the pants (holy shit, a girl with pants) and the armor looks very functional. Beruka's cyan hair and plain haircut does a good job to hint at her cold personality and pragmatic methods. Too bad Camilla is generally a better unit because Beruka looks cool.

Kakashi

Another ninja outfit which hits a lot of same points as his brother. I like this one a bit less because the arm blades look more impractical, but his mask is pretty cool and the hairdo gives a 'bad boy' sort of image. You know shit gets real when he opens his damaged eye.

Taki

Praise tits ninja! Haha, gag boobs. Jokes aside, like Camilla, her breasts are too large for my taste and it seems like they wouldn't be practical for her profession. I wish she had pants like the other ninjas. I can't seem to find it but there was some fanart earlier that showed what the ninja trio would look like if Kagero was dressed like a man and Kaze + Saizo dress liked Kagero, and suffice to say, the men looked silly and Kagero a badass. Still, the yellow and pink outfit looks good and her hair and neutral expression gives a mysterious air. It makes me laugh that IS went to the trouble of giving her a unique Master Ninja outfit to accommodate her boobs.

Edited by NekoKnight

To finish off the royal retainers we have Laslow/Inigo and Peri:

#31 - Laslow/Inigo

Pretty similar to Severa's design but favouring the pale blue over the red. No complaints here. His voice seems a bit deeper and suave in this game in comparison to Awakening. The mercenary animations are simple but fun to watch, the sword pile driver move is fun in action as is the upper cut slice.

#32 - Peri

My favourite of the cavalier designs. I was a bit put off by her blue/pink hair at first but now I find it to be rather charming, and considering she comes from a rich family I can imagine her being spoiled for choice when it came to her looks. The white armour with the slight bits of gold look quite nice and varies it up amongst all the black armoured units and the little dress part over the pants, like the mercenary design for Severa is quite cute. It's a shame she loses it when she class changes to paladin and/or great knight. It's also interesting that she has a heterochromatic eye considering that you can't really see much of it under her hair. Her voice is a nice mixture of childish and cute with a touch of sadism, it really works for her. Cavalier animations are pretty standard but the charge they do when proccing Luna is interesting, almost like a jousting move in action.
Edited by Naturesshadow

Both Lazlow and Selena bore me. They don't look bad but just too plain, and too similar to their original classes when compared to what happened to Odin.

I am also disappointed by Peri's loss of unique armor after promoting. It just makes the panties promotion even less sensible, for she previously had pants. I don't think this happens to Arthur, thank god.

Big Boss

This is the outfit I wish Camilla had,

Ironically, it actually is before the events of the game. Beruka said as much.

Laslow:

I don't like these carry-over characters from the last game (or recycled, whatever). That said, I don't find his outfit's design that amazing. It's nice, it does the job, without standing out.

Peri:

Definitely one of the more colorful characters in the game. I'm not really a fan of hers, but her design is definitely a fun one. Her hair, her smile/ facial expressions, her mannerisms, all go together pretty well into the character imo. It's a bit sad I can't really like her, but her design is one of the better ones in the game from my point of view.

With the retainers covered we move onto the tribal warriors, Rinkah and Hayato:

#31 - Rinkah

A fierce warrior we've got here. I really like her design, from her ripped arms and abs to her wild white hair. The mask is neat and is a nice piece of her tribe's culture to display. The tribal markings on her face are also a nice touch. Her design just screams presence and power, exactly what I would expect from an Oni Savage. Her deep, serious voice works well for her, adding to her fierce nature. The Oni Savage animations are alright, but I had a good laugh with her blacksmith crit animation.

#32 - Hayato

A Hoshidan rendition of Ricken. I'm disappointed in IS for resorting to copy and pasting certain designs from Awakening (Which will get worse once we get to a certain trio of kids), at the very least it's not a bad design. Hell It's more flashy in comparison to Ricken's getup. In comparison to the visuals of Rinkah, Hayato's got a softer look going on with the blue theme, little flowing cape and the little tassel things around his head. It makes for a nice contrast between the Wind and the Fire tribe's aesthetics. His voice is one of a confident and somewhat cocky nature which suits his character from what I've seen. The diviners animations are interesting in comparison to the dark mages when using the spirit magic. The way the cards float around summoning spirits upon their foes makes for an interesting way of doing magic and their crit animations are pretty acrobatic.

Saizo

Edgy as fuck. Though it suits him.

Kagerou

She may show skin but so do the male ninja. It's pretty good design, not too outstanding.

Laslow

Kind of a boring design. The outfit is fine but there's no colour anywhere. His face looks a little odd too.

Peri

I've seen her referred to as a 13yo deviantart creation, and I feel it's accurate.

Rinkah

Love her design because it's so different from the typical FE women. Granted, she could be buffer but it's good.

Hayato

Better version of Ricken.

A bit late today due to being away from my computer. Next up, the spellflingers, Orochi and Nyx:

#33 - Orochi

Another favourite of mine from the Hoshidan designs. Her hair is lovely, the soft purple and fancy hair buns give her a elegant look. From her ingame portrait she's quite ripped in the abs department, quite a surprising feature for a mage. I like that her pants have the same diamond pattern that Oboro's had. I like the playfulness in her voice, her giggles are charming.

#34 - Nyx

Well the Tharja look seems to be the new staple for female dark mages now. It's a shame they dropped the mysterious heavy robes look from previous games, as they were more suitable for someone working in the dark arts. The battle bikini's are ridiculous, and obvious pandering (Why else would Tharja have gotten a fancy figurine over the main characters). It's not all negative though, Her facial design carries her for me. I like her long, wild hair which goes well with the headpiece and rune markings on her face. It give's her a fortune teller look which I like, just a shame the rest of her ain't too good. Her voice is quite an amusing one, considering she's an old character in a young body. Her little yelps during attacks are cute and I dig her quotes, personal favourite being "Ugh, for Crying out loud!", appropriate if she get's a crap level up.

Orochi

Really cool design until you get to the sagging pants. I wouldn't think showing butt crack is acceptable when you're the queen's retainer.

Nyx

I like her design as it looks on her portrait, as I don't think she looks that young, but that art is just creepy. I was hoping she would be some sort of interesting fortune-teller, but instead they went with aggressive loli which is a shame.

Next up, the border guards, Benny and Charlotte:

#35 - Benny

One of my favourite Nohr designs. I like his rough, scary look, which contrasts with his kind personality. The buzz-cut hairstyle and the scar work well for his image, as well as his pale skin. The black armour is really good. It looks so slick and threatening, and well suited for a knight. His voice is also good, ranging from kind and lovable giant to scary warrior when critting. Also at first I thought his haircut was unique to him until I saw Barth in Binding Blade who has a similar haircut.

#36 - Charlotte

Seems like someone wanted to compete against Camilla in terms of sexual armour. It's...odd. Her leggings look like they wanted to be pants but had the thigh areas cut out. She's probably one of the few character's I prefer in their promoted form as she gets a nice wolf skin like design that works well for her. Her over the top design looks like something you'd see of a barbarian woman from some obscure 90's fantasy game. At least it's appropriate for her character considering she's a gold digger, I can imagine her doing this on purpose to lure men. Take that aspect out however and it's another pandering design. Her voice is a nice mixture of sweet, innocent gal and bitchy, no nonsense woman, suitable for her multiple personas.
Edited by Naturesshadow

We now move on to the animal shape-shifters, Kaden and Keaton:

#37 - Kaden

I have to say, both Kaden and Keaton are better designed in comparison to the Taguel's Panne and Yarne. Kaden's design is simple, but pleasant to the eye. The soft blue contrasts well with his bright orange hair and tail, similar to Oboro's colour scheme. The kitsune's form is pretty good and I love the animations they pull off, The sonic spin dash and the torpedo dive being one of my favourites.

#38 - Keaton

Keaton's design caught my eye the first time I saw him. It's a funny blend of fancy black and white clothes and overgrown Aussie mullet. It's a combo I'm surprised works and I also dig the Wolfskin design. While they're animations aren't as flashy as the Kitsune's, they do have some amusing animations with their big swinging arms and they're war cry for a victory (Which made me instantly think of The Bloody August from the Anime "Orphen").

Benny

A pretty cool design. The all black armour looks slick, and his face gives the look of a strong fighter.

Charlotte

I may like her as a character but this design is still terrible.

Kaden

Very cool design. Same for the transformation.

Keaton

See above. The only part I don't like is the mullet. The transformation is ugly.

I have to agree both shapeshifters are way better designs than the taguel. They look like they'd fit in with the laguz imo (except the transformed Wolfskin, ugh).

Now onto the late Mikoto's retainers, Yukimura and Reina:

#39 - Yukimura

A solid design. The blue hair and glasses look nice on him, and it's style is suitable for a tactician. I noticed the stubble he has on his chin, which reminds me of how rare it is to get characters with facial hair in these newer games. I really like the design of the Mechanist. They were the first new class that caught my eye and I like the idea of a mechanical mount that shoots arrows and shurikens. The way they move makes them look quite unique and I love the victory animation.

#40 - Reina

Another solid design. The kinshi knight design is nice and contrasts with the sky knights design. Her face scar gives her a tough, veteran look and I'm diggin the blue/gold colour scheme. It's interesting that she wears pants in comparison to the other kinshi knights who don't appear to do the same. I also like her boots, the feather make them pop out with the way they point out like spearheads. Her voice is a nice, calm, motherly voice, in fact she reminded me of Cherche a bit.

The first set

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

The second mercenary so he wins points on the class outfit but the colors are less dynamic than Selena's. I do like his hair and "at attention" pose. Definitely a better look than his Awakening appearance.

Harley Quin

I'm not a huge fan of her two-toned pig-tails but it fits her unstable personality and childishness. Her layered armor looks really nice, and the natural blue makes her promotions more consistent with her color scheme. Praise pants (until she promotes)!

I heard Rinka was shredded, that she has an 8 pack.

Rinka is one of my favorite designs and it's quite rare for any female to have visible muscle nevermind that gameplay-wise, Sakura is more swole. Her hair, mask and face paint gives her a wild look and the beads are a nice oriental touch. The pants and gloves are also fashion but practical. Both of her promotions also look pretty cool.

Ricken the Dicken

The first diviner outfit and it looks pretty good. I like the sandals and the hair ornaments. I'm pretty neutral on wrist donuts. The red/orange ribbons around the pants are nice for contrast and remind me of Hinoka's ties.

I sense a soul in search of answers

Diviner number two. While her outfit is probably more fanservicey (waistline too low), I do think it nicely shows off her toned belly. The hairstyle and pin give her a really elegant look and I like her mischievous expression. A pretty solid design, overall.

Technically an adult

Dark Mages, wat r u doin? Dark Mages, stahp! Okay, let's start on the positives. I like the cape and black with gold trim on the outfit. Her 'bed-head' hair kind of gives her a childish look to contrast her stern, mature expression. The rest is just, ugh. Way too much skin showing and the cloth over the chest looks ridiculous, as though sections of it were cut out to reveal more skin. I understand Nyx is 'of age' but that doesn't mean I want to see a 13 year olds' cleavage.

From Nohr we have the rebellion fighter and Felicia's sister, Scarlet and Flora:

#41 - Scarlet

A nice design. Her ruffled hair/headband combo works well with her character. The dark red/black stands out amongst all the black design of Nohr and is suitable for her involvement with Hoshido. Her voice is good, alot of spunk to it with her casual remarks like "Yo".

#42 - Flora

Design wise apart from her head is practically identical to Felicia. I do prefer Flora's design over Felicia though, the blue twin tail hair is cute and is suitable for someone of the Ice Tribe.

Yukimura

The outfit and colours really suit him as the advisor to Mikoto. The puppet is a cool addition. I wish we had seen more of Hoshido's machinery.

Reina

While I'm not big on her character, I love her design. The outfit is great even though I'm not sure what the crown is. The Pegasus classes are really well designed in Fates. And her scars are a good way to show she's an experienced knight.

Scarlet

She's another character who feels very classic FE. She reminds me of Vaida in a way. But cuter.

Flora

Like Felicia I feel it's a good design if you take it separate from the whole anime maid trope.

Benny Bear

Knights look good in Fates, and the male outfit is no exception. The solid black armor makes him look like he has a tough beetle shell, and I like the white inner layering around his collar. His hair and expression look tough, and man does this guy have a scary face when angry (Revelation OTP for Oboro?).

Charlotte the Harlot

I know some people think fanservice fits Charlotte's personality but I think it would be more appropriate for her to have a more elegant look with 'tough' accessories to hint at her true nature (such as her shoulder guards). A bra and battle panties just looks silly. The hair and ribbon at least fits the 'alluring cutie' she's going for.

Nick Wilde

A pretty simple class outfit compared to most but I think it works. The scarf and sash match nicely and I love his hair and ears. A shame he can't pass that color to any of the children. As much as I like foxes, I think the Nine-tails looks better than the kitsune transformation. Touch the furry tail.

Team Jacob

*insert mullet joke here* A pretty good design. The hair gives him a 'punk' design and the clothes are oddly steampunk-esque. I can't say it really fits his personality but it looks good anyway. I like that his animal ears come out on the side of his head as opposed to being on top. It gives him a greater werewolf feel. I think 'were-koala' was an unexpected an interesting design choice for his transformation. I don't like the unicorn horn he gets later, however.

Do you believe love can bloom on the battlefield?

Beruka? Beruka...? BERUKA!!!! Yukimura is a refreshingly mature design in a sea of young people. The messy hair and studious glasses remind me of a certain scientist, but I can't quite place my finger on it. I quite like the machinist class outfit and I'm pleased they used something as obscure (to most westerners) as a Shishimai for the puppet.

Bloody Mary

Another mature design and Kinshi Knights look fantastic. I like her unique color scheme and the golden crest on her back. The feathers on the boots, shoulder guards and the tail-coat things synergize perfectly with the mount. Reina's hair looks nice and the scar gives her more character. I'd like to see how she looked when she was younger. Maybe she got that scar in Cheve when Kamui was kidnapped?

Dragon x Lobster OTP

While I'm not fond of boyish, short hair on girls in real life, it suits her character fine. The red Wyvern Lord armor is great and goes perfectly with a certain lobster in game. A shame they can't support... Girls with proper pants will always get my seal of approval, and the shoulder guards are a nice 'draconic' touch too.

Let it go, let it go

Standard maid outfit is standard, but it looks good. I like her cool toned hair and hairstyle. Nothing much Elsa to say.

Now onto the Hoshidan ninja turned Outlaw and the goofy ruler, Shura and Izana:

#43 - Shura

I like the green/black combo (my favourite combination), and his wild, spikey hair works well for his outlaw look. Not too much to say about him but overall a solid design.

#44 - Izana

Didn't see him the first time I caught glimpses of leaks for Fates. He certainly got the whole "looks can be deceiving" look going for him considering his personality. He looks nice and certainly has a royalty vibe to his outfit. The black and white mixed with the gold parts blend well with each other and his hair is quite fabulous. I guess that would win him plenty of hair style contests.

Most of the designs are so-so in my opinion. My problems come more from historical accuracy and practicality issues. I think the stiletto heels that many female characters have are utterly stupid as not only are they horribly impractical for combat, but they are also anachronistic; the first stiletto heels were thought to be from the late 1800's (which is evidenced from early fetish drawings); before then, the term stiletto just referred to a long, thin 15th century Italian dagger. I could also mention the breastplates that conform to the shape of the women's breasts (which is actually quite dangerous to the wearer and looks pretty dumb) and the posterior windows, but that dead horse is pretty much liquid now.

Marx and Leon - okay

Ryouma - lobster

Hinoka - standard Pegasus knight

Camilla - dumb armor design, but it fits her oppai-oneechan persona. I think people's opinion of her character is connected to their opinion on her design. I do not hate her design (I find her quite pretty) and think of her as a pretty nice lady (she is really nice to Odin and is fairly polite to Flannel, at least in the Japanese version). She has an unhealthy obsession with Kamui, but since I have read so much eromanga--or hentai--in my time, the incestuous undertones fail to phase me and could not care less.

Elise and Sakura - merely different flavors of the uguu kawaii imouto-tan archetype

Effie - SHE-HULK SMASH! Otherwise, (see first paragraph)

Harold - much more like how the fighters should look like (I like the Radiant Dawn fighter designs, if you could not already tell)

Suzukaze and Saizou - okay

Kagerou - Senran Kagura (not bad)

Kazahana - uguu kawaii samurai-tan

Tsubaki - an utter tool who would be better off as a knight/general than on a winged pony. Essentially a male Tiamo/Cordelia.

Zero - the rogue who swings both ways (pretty decent design). Nice to see more darker-skinned characters.

Odin - magic BDSM Eudes/Owain. I prefer the shaman robes.

Asama - Not very likable, but not terribly designed.

Setsuna - space cadet, moronic stoner. Looks okay.

Lazuwad - meh

Pieri - decent armor, stupid hair and insufferable personality

Mozume - a bit strange, but her outfit works

Silas and Gunther - not bad

Rinkah - decent

Kamui - sort of dumb (Femui at least has cute hairstyles)

Aqua - a bit over-designed (I like the Kaga-era dancers the best), but not too bad

Joker - classy

Felicia and Flora - uguu kawaii dojikko meido-chan and kuudere meido-chan

Yukimura - decent (3 toed lion puppet = grrr)

Takumi - who lives in a pineapple under the sea... not too bad

Tsukuyomi - Yamato Licht/Ricken

Orochi - butt-crack fortune lady. Not terrible

Nyx - 1000 year old BDSM loli. Not quite my cup of tea, but nothing out of the ordinary for a JRPG. Again, shaman robes = better.

Nishiki and Flannel - not bad

Oboro - meh

Luna - b-b-baka! (meh)

Belka - not bad

Benoit - decent design for one of my favorite characters personality-wise (the knight armor still looks kind of dumb)

Charlotte - Something makes me think the whole reason why female characters were given access to the fighter/beserker class was just so the art director could have the amazon from Dragon's Crown in a Fire Emblem game (the chainmail bikini and long, blond, wavy hair with a ribbon reminds me quite a bit of the amazon). Not a fan of her character and her design is not remarkable beyond the Dragon's Crown comparisons; standard RPG fare.

Yuugiri - decent

Crimson - not bad. Her pauldrons do a poor job at covering her shoulders, though.

Hinata - meh

Asyura and Izana - not bad (Izana's face and hair look like that of Inverse/Aversa)

Edited by KoimanZX

To finish off the first gen characters we have the wind tribe chieftain and everyone's favourite mascot character, Fuga and Anna:

#45 - Fuga

Blimey this guy is the size of a mountain. He's the most buffed looking character out of the whole cast and it's what you want with a chieftain. The large tribal beads are a nice touch and also amplify his mighty presence. His bottom half is almost like Hinata's but more armoured. Solid design overall.

#46 - Anna

(No 4koma art of Anna, resorted to her cipher art)
Good old Anna. Her jester like design in Awakening is traded in for the outlaw look, which personally I find works better for her and her profession. I've always liked her design, with her cute red hair and her mischievous expressions, it's simple but it works for her, especially with all the changes she's gone through in each game. Her voice is a bit different from Awakening, a bit more high pitched and cute. Personally I think i prefer her Awakening voice.