Trying out PoR

Well, I'm almost done with FE 6 thereby completing the FE GBA games. I didn't feel like waiting so started playing some PoR and I can immediately see why people like its story. My biggest complaint about the GBA games is the lack of presence outside of supports for the many side characters. FE 9 seems to give voice to the whole merc group and that helps bring the characters to life. I sure hope that continues for the whole game. Thats part of the reason I like FE 8 since a few side characters do get some nice development like Joshua.

I'm happy to see the con system gone and replace with just STR. This should prove to be a major improvement to pegasus knights. Amusingly, Soren's first level up included STR, what luck.

I'll be trying to do a semi low turn count run just to make this easy game a little more challenging. Which really just means I'll by copying the tactics already posted on this forum. Thank you. lol

Also, all hail female Seth, aka Titania. Heroine of speed runs. lol

Edited by wissenschaft

Well, have fun! :) Playing fast (or fast-ish) is probably a good way to go if the game isn't challenging you on its own; not using Bonus EXP might be another idea. No mounts seems to be somewhat popular, too, but I lost interest quickly when I tried that - it just made the game slower rather than more difficult.

Personally, I really like the mechanics in this game. To me, it feels largely similar to the GBA games, but more polished. The support mechanism is largely the same, but without that annoying wait-120-turns-for-A-Support; Rescue is still a thing, but without the archer carrying a pegasus on his back... It's just disappointing that the non-japanese versions don't have a proper hard mode.

And yeah, Titania is ridiculous. Worst Jeigan ever, can't even set up the first boss kill to the lord, 0/10. ;)

Yay, I'm a Titania fan, if you can't tell.

I think the way Por handles supports is the best in the series. I'd combine the way Por goes by battles and the 3DS unlimited number of supports.

PoR is great yeah, not very challenging, but still a fun romp overall.

I agree that PoR has probably the best support system, but I'd rather not see unlimited supports again (in a small reply to Rezzy) because its quantity over quality in that case, and will never reach the full potential that other games with supports have already done in terms of just pure talks, if they are too focused on everyone being able to talk to everyone.

I agree with Jedi, I'd rather see limited support pools again because quality over quantity. Though I also would like to see the 3DS games' S support and A+ support levels too (just with conversations for both instead of just for S supports).

PoR is one of the best games of all time, imo! I hope you like it. ^^

MVP Titania. (Damn girl) Need I say more? LOL. I'm going to continue to feed her boss kills so she can level up because frankly the game is easy enough to allow it.

Ike, slap Soren till he learns some common sense. Don't insult the nice doggies that just saved your asses. Man, the game has barely started and I can already see the Ike/Soren subtext. lol

I wish the GBA games had these info talks at base. Its a nice little extra to flesh out characters.

Edited by wissenschaft

PoR is great yeah, not very challenging, but still a fun romp overall.

I agree that PoR has probably the best support system, but I'd rather not see unlimited supports again (in a small reply to Rezzy) because its quantity over quality in that case, and will never reach the full potential that other games with supports have already done in terms of just pure talks, if they are too focused on everyone being able to talk to everyone.

I agree with Jedi, I'd rather see limited support pools again because quality over quantity. Though I also would like to see the 3DS games' S support and A+ support levels too (just with conversations for both instead of just for S supports).

PoR is one of the best games of all time, imo! I hope you like it. ^^

Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I meant, sorry for not being clear. I didn't mean unlimited supports in that everybody can support everybody, like Awakening and Fates. I meant removing the arbitrary 5 conversation limit (1A1B, 1A2C, 2B,1C, etc), and letting each unit get every support convo they have available on one playthrough theoretically. They could still limit each unit to only one S or A+, but still get say 4-7 A Supports, so I could have my Ike not get penalized by A supporting with Oscar, if I still want to get his A support with Soren later. That's what I meant. I feel I miss out on a lot of supports, because I have certain pairs I almost always end up putting together.

MVP Titania. (Damn girl) Need I say more? LOL. I'm going to continue to feed her boss kills so she can level up because frankly the game is easy enough to allow it.

Ike, slap Soren till he learns some common sense. Don't insult the nice doggies that just saved your asses. Man, the game has barely started and I can already see the Ike/Soren subtext. lol

I wish the GBA games had these info talks at base. Its a nice little extra to flesh out characters.

I love Titania, but I wouldn't advise letting her get boss kills, if you can help it, at least until mid-game and other units start promoting. Unless you're doing a Titania solo run or something, she's going to be hogging all the XP that your unpromoted units really need.

Edited by Rezzy

Do support points roll over? I know its per chapter in this game but I forgot to get C Ike/Oscar support last ch, does this mean I'll be a chapter late in getting B with Oscar?

Hmm, on second thought I might save Oscar for Tanith since she can keep up with him. I never liked supporting mounted units with grounded troops because of the movement difference.

Edited by wissenschaft

I love Titania, but I wouldn't advise letting her get boss kills, if you can help it, at least until mid-game and other units start promoting. Unless you're doing a Titania solo run or something, she's going to be hogging all the XP that your unpromoted units really need.

I'd say it's more then worth it. The boss exp bonus allows Titania to get something like 60+ exp for a kill while the rookies can't possibly get more then 100 exp anyway.

Edited by BrightBow

I'd say it's more then worth it. The boss exp bonus allows Titania to get something like 60+ exp for a kill while the rookies can't possibly get more then 100 exp anyway.

But a level for Titania doesn't really help her much if she one-rounds everything anyway, but getting a level for an unpromoted unit can be huge and be the difference between one-two rounding and not. Like I said, if don't plan to use any of the other units and just use Titania, go ahead, but if you plan to use anybody but Titania after the early game, you're best served by trying to raise them now.

But a level for Titania doesn't really help her much if she one-rounds everything anyway, but getting a level for an unpromoted unit can be huge and be the difference between one-two rounding and not. Like I said, if don't plan to use any of the other units and just use Titania, go ahead, but if you plan to use anybody but Titania after the early game, you're best served by trying to raise them now.

Normally this would be the case but theres Bexp in this game to easily give levels if I need them. Also, unlike a Jegen, Titania has good growths so leveling her isn't a waste. And I notice Titania doesn't actually one round all enemies without some key level ups like in strength. Which is important because I'm also trying to get a reasonably low turn count and Titania one rounding bosses and tough enemies is a big part of that strategy.

I did give one boss kill to Soren to help level him up. What is with Fire Emblem games and characters that join at level 1. Ugh.

FE9 = Path of Titania. I'll make it happen. I saw that Miledy had a sister unit in another game and it was instant love. Sadly, Titania isn't anywhere as broken as the invincible Miledy but then again, few units are. lol

Edit: Apparently my favorite class, mercenaries, are not in this game. Irony can be cruel sometimes. At least Ike is sort of like a merc. Sort of. :(

Also, shout out to Boyd. Thats what a fighters's growths and bases should look like. (sour about GBA fighters)

Edited by wissenschaft

They're a cat and tiger, not dogs. xP

Ike/Soren subtext? lolwut? If anything English PoR ships Ike/Elincia more. It added more shippy-ness for them than the Japanese one did (sadly). I never liked Soren because of his attitude though. I mean I understand why he's like that, but it still annoys me. And I think he's a little TOO obsessed with Ike (I mean in an unhealthy way).

I agree on info conversations though, I wish they'd return.

And dude, train up Boyd like crazy. He can be your hardest hitting unit in the game with how much strength he gets. He's also the only playable Fighter, unfortunately.

Edited by Anacybele

They're a cat and tiger, not dogs. xP

Ike/Soren subtext? lolwut? If anything English PoR ships Ike/Elincia more. It added more shippy-ness for them than the Japanese one did (sadly). I never liked Soren because of his attitude though. I mean I understand why he's like that, but it still annoys me. And I think he's a little TOO obsessed with Ike (I mean in an unhealthy way).

I agree on info conversations though, I wish they'd return.

And dude, train up Boyd like crazy. He can be your hardest hitting unit in the game with how much strength he gets. He's also the only playable Fighter, unfortunately.

FE seems to hate on Axe-users. They either make our Axe units suck, or they dwindle the amount you get down, and remove classes like Pirates and Brigands completely.

Yeah, I pretty much always use Boyd.

You do get a world-class berserker later on, though. :D

But yeah, Boyd's one problem is being a foot unit, especially since wissenschaft tries to play a low-ish turn count run.

True, Ike/Elincia is implied pretty heavily, but it is also easy to interpret Sorens fixation on Ike in a romantic fashion. I do agree that it doesn't necessarily seem like a healthy (potential) relationship, what with Soren not having any other interests. IRL, they might be one of those couples that are super into each other but don't manage to talk out their first big row. ^^

Yeah, I just hate that the shipping didn't carry over into RD much, because PoR made me love that pair. It wasn't even mainly their conversations that made me fall in love with them, it was the ending cutscene that was the pillar of cuteness for me, which of course is still in the Japanese version! I thought it was so shippy that I thought they were about to kiss! lol

Then IS had to ruin everything in RD. NoA probably made a mistake and assumed Ike x Elincia would be doable in the sequel or something, they could've just NOT assumed, or if IS became aware of what was in the localization, they could've rolled with it, or SOMETHING. The way it is now, Ike and Elincia in RD act like 50% of their interactions in PoR never happened. Elincia's death quotes still provide a little shippy-ness ("please take care of Crimea for me, Sir Ike" while Geoffrey is actually present, "my noble Ike..." in the tower), but maybe that was just localization too...

At the very least, they should've had a platonic ending for closure. They became close friends, why the hell not? Not every paired ending has to be romantic. Ike and his endings with Soren and Ranulf even already prove that (and I recall there being such paired endings in FE7 and FE8 too). Sigh... I can only hope a re-release does this.

As for Soren, I feel if anything is romantic between him and Ike, it's only on Soren's end. Ike didn't really show that kind of interest. He was pretty much all "I don't care about your background, you're my friend and my tactician" basically.

Edited by Anacybele

Hahaha, I was mostly joking about Ike/Soren.........mostly. And right, cat people. I'll have to remember that. I think I'll go with Ike/Lethe. 15 hit/ 15 avoid is pretty good buff for both. Plus, Lethe is cute in a tsundere sort of way.

P.S. I think its pretty obvious who my favorite unit in PoR is already and I doubt its going to change. I only wish she was a wyvern rider. I guess basically her only flaw is not being Minerva/Miledy. lol Can you guess what my favorite fire emblem class is? lol

Edited by wissenschaft

Actually, my favorite class depends on the game but it seems to fluctuate between Mercenaries, Calvary and Wyvern Riders. Raven is by far my favorite unit/character in FE7. In the GBA games, where side characters are typically introduced and forgotten, it was nice to be able to help him get his revenge. FE 6 is obviously OP Miledy, breaker of game balance. FE 8 I like Erika/Seth.

Basically, I'm team Nohr all the way. lol All my preferred classes are in that nation.

Edited by wissenschaft

Actually, my favorite class depends on the game but it seems to fluctuate between Mercenaries, Calvary and Wyvern Riders. Raven is by far my favorite unit/character in FE7. In the GBA games where side characters are typically introduce and forgotten, it was nice to be able to help him get his revenge. FE 6 is obviously OP Miledy, breaker of balance. FE 8 I like Erika/Seth.

Basicly, I'm team Nohr all the way. lol All my preferred classes are in that nation lol

Isn't it a game-over if you kill Hector, though?

oops, I confused a rom hack for the story in game. lol Fun hack though. Raven's still my favorite for his incredible hard mode bonuses which basically guarantee him maxing out key combat stats before promotion. I prefer Mercs over Myrmidons since I like reliable ORKO over crit/skill machines.

Question. How exactly does Lethe guage work? What decreases the guage?

Edited by wissenschaft

All you need to know about the gauge in PoR:

http://serenesforest.net/path-of-radiance/classes/transformation/

Lethe is incredibly good early game due to transformining on turn 1. It also tends to mean that Janaff > Ulki. Having to wait many turns to transform is something only the tiger laguz can really wait on, because they can use their immense con to shove/smite other units around for tactical positioning.

Oops, I should know just to check the site. Ah, stupid questions.

Anyway, I notice some bosses don't give much exp. Soren (lvl 8) only got 55 exp for killing the ch 9 boss so I fed Titania the boss kill instead because she needs that exp much more. Path of Titania continues. lol

Marcia is what a Pegasus knight should be. Good riddance horrible con stat, str 8 to wield iron lances without penalty. Yes, more like this please. What? Shes the only Pegasus Knight O.o

Edited by wissenschaft

What? Shes the only Pegasus Knight O.o

Tanith's prepromoted, but still very solid. Her skill is bonkers if you don't mind losing some exp to NPCs.

Definitely my favorite game in the series. My only real gripes with it are the animations are time-consuming even in their fastest mode and Ike's freaking ranger battle stance. Like who thought that up?

Actually, my favorite class depends on the game but it seems to fluctuate between Mercenaries, Calvary and Wyvern Riders. Raven is by far my favorite unit/character in FE7. In the GBA games, where side characters are typically introduced and forgotten, it was nice to be able to help him get his revenge. FE 6 is obviously OP Miledy, breaker of game balance. FE 8 I like Erika/Seth.

Basically, I'm team Nohr all the way. lol All my preferred classes are in that nation.

My favorite classes tend to be magic classes, healers, and Pegasus knights. Also, paladins. Basically, I likely would be team Nohr... were it not for my least favorite class (Berserker) being on that side too.