Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past

Dai

Alright, so the game's been out for about a week, now. How far have you all gotten? What are your thoughts on it? Personally, I like it, for the most part. Everything's been rather pleasant, and the visuals are very nice to look at. I haven't bought any weapons or armor, yet. I've ran through the game with only what I've found and I've just finished up Greenthumb Gardens which I am very depressed about. I knew entirely what was going to happen, so it wasn't exactly fun to relive that.

Only downside is, I can't recall for the life of me how to do the Monster Park. I've sent monsters there, but haven't seen them.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just completed Litorud/El Ciclo in the past this morning.

Overall, I like the translation! So much better than the original game's super obvious rushing, it's nice to play a more thoroughly processed and finished product in that regard.

Another thing I like is lowering of Boss HP. Bosses in the PSX version dragged on way too much.

The job system changes gave actual motivation to use Monster classes. In the original, they were basically the most pointless things in the game for the most part.

Speaking of Monster Classes, they're easier to get now. The original made getting the hearts incredibly tedious, so it's nice that the drop rate is jacked up.

And now onto stuff that I don't like.

Well, I can't say I'm the most fond of the changes to the prologue. Yeah, it needed to be shorter, but they shouldn't have sacrificed mood for that. I feel like the Playstation version really captures the ancient, untouched nature of the Ruins, but the fairy guy in the 3DS version kinda destroys it. Also, the fetch quest for the Saint equipment was inferior to the puzzles there originally. And the association puzzle was made impossible to fail. Ugh.

Lucky Panel is now way more broken. Like, for real. The Zodiac cards are gone, which means every game gets more winnings. It's kinda... silly.

Finally, DQVII wasn't especially hard to begin with outside a specific area that stripped you of all skills, but this version is so... easy. Really. Random main game enemies can barely scratch me. You shouldn't regularly have this scarce (single digits and teens) damage intake by Litorud. Maybe I'm just misremembering, but I remember having higher damage intake by this point.

RIP Sim.

I enjoyed the game for what I've played so far. I made it to the end of the automaton island's past, losing to the last boss there because I blew my MP and didn't heal on the Tinpot Dictator or whatever. I didn't expect for there to be another boss right afterwards that does a butt ton of damage. I sorta rage quit after that, but my excuse is that SMTIV:A came out. After I beat that I'll get back to this.

I enjoyed the game for what I've played so far. I made it to the end of the automaton island's past, losing to the last boss there because I blew my MP and didn't heal on the Tinpot Dictator or whatever. I didn't expect for there to be another boss right afterwards that does a butt ton of damage. I sorta rage quit after that, but my excuse is that SMTIV:A came out. After I beat that I'll get back to this.

[spoiler=Beating EvilMech (I forget the new name sorry)]Have Ruff/Gabo use Aooo!/Bark

He's surprising easy to scare with it.

[spoiler=Beating EvilMech (I forget the new name sorry)]Have Ruff/Gabo use Aooo!/Bark

He's surprising easy to scare with it.

Thanks. That's not something I'd think to try. It's Slaughtertron I think, btw.

Oh, one thing I found odd was that my game kind of...froze, at the beginning. Right when Maribel goes off and the first battle in the game is supposed to start, there was her scream and then the game...stopped. The music continued playing, but nothing was happening. Dunno what happened.

And now I'm at what I feel like is part of my least favorite part of the game: The Roamer Camp. I like the music, and I like most everything about it, except for one detail.

Kiefer.

Thanks. That's not something I'd think to try. It's Slaughtertron I think, btw.

You're quite welcome!

Oh, one thing I found odd was that my game kind of...froze, at the beginning. Right when Maribel goes off and the first battle in the game is supposed to start, there was her scream and then the game...stopped. The music continued playing, but nothing was happening. Dunno what happened.

And now I'm at what I feel like is part of my least favorite part of the game: The Roamer Camp. I like the music, and I like most everything about it, except for one detail.

Kiefer.

Well, he'd suddenly become completely inferior after the next area anyway, he has no MP.

[spoiler=massive for way after he leaves]And you find a letter from him as the last text in the game, at least in the Playstation version

[spoiler=DLC]One tablet does give an update on him, though you don't join him again.

You're quite welcome!

Well, he'd suddenly become completely inferior after the next area anyway, he has no MP.

[spoiler=massive for way after he leaves]And you find a letter from him as the last text in the game, at least in the Playstation version

[spoiler=DLC]One tablet does give an update on him, though you don't join him again.

Where would I get this tablet?

Where would I get this tablet?

The Download bar, eventually. I don't know when SE plans on putting it up for US and Europe. Just check weekly.

...I think.

Edit: http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35027

This answer the question?

Edited by Glaceon Mage

The Download bar, eventually. I don't know when SE plans on putting it up for US and Europe. Just check weekly.

...I think.

That doesn't exactly instill me with confidence. XD

Another problem I have with the Roamer...it comes RIGHT after Greenthumb Garden. As if THAT wasn't depressing enough.

That doesn't exactly instill me with confidence. XD

Another problem I have with the Roamer...it comes RIGHT after Greenthumb Garden. As if THAT wasn't depressing enough.

I edited in a Den link just before you posted. I was going off memory before.

Tbh everyone in Verdham was... I wasn't a fan of the place. Porta/Herbie was okay, but everyone else just seemed to be unable to sit down and talk.

I edited in a Den link just before you posted. I was going off memory before.

Ah, my bad. XD Thanks. It's just kind of frustrating, though. All the stuff with Maribel, Ruff, and the Hero, and he decides to just up and leave. Kinda...blaugh. I get WHY...just sucks.

Edited by Dai

Ah, my bad. XD Thanks. It's just kind of frustrating, though. All the stuff with Maribel, Ruff, and the Hero, and he decides to just up and leave. Kinda...blaugh. I get WHY...just sucks.

I thought it was touching myself. Kiefer is one of my favorite characters in the series, so

Of course, you realize as soon as he's gone he was basically your crutch for the entire first segment of game.

I thought it was touching myself. Kiefer is one of my favorite characters in the series, so

Of course, you realize as soon as he's gone he was basically your crutch for the entire first segment of game.

I do get why. And yeah, he is essentially a crutch, but at the same time...I don't know. I suppose I just don't take too kindly to someone abandoning his friends and family for someone he literally JUST met.

I do get why. And yeah, he is essentially a crutch, but at the same time...I don't know. I suppose I just don't take too kindly to someone abandoning his friends and family for someone he literally JUST met.

I can see that.

I do feel bad for poor Jann though. Deja traditions really suck for him

I can see that.

I do feel bad for poor Jann though. Deja traditions really suck for him

Yeah...come to think of it, both Greenthumb AND the Roamer chapters are based on a romantic triangle/square of sorts. Which end VERY poorly for the people that don't exactly deserve to be screwed over so much. Blargh. It's even more depressing.

Yeah...come to think of it, both Greenthumb AND the Roamer chapters are based on a romantic triangle/square of sorts. Which end VERY poorly for the people that don't exactly deserve to be screwed over so much. Blargh. It's even more depressing.

At least Kiefer and Layla/Lala (sigh) get a happy ending.

Verdham just makes the outcome shit for literally everyone. Linda goes off to be a nun, Pepe runs away, Iwan wastes his fortune because Linda ran off on him and their child, and Kaya just got more Yandere.

At least Kiefer and Layla/Lala (sigh) get a happy ending.

Verdham just makes the outcome shit for literally everyone. Linda goes off to be a nun, Pepe runs away, Iwan wastes his fortune because Linda ran off on him and their child, and Kaya just got more Yandere.

Made even more worse if you elect to go back and inform our well-meaning runaway about Linda's fate.

Made even more worse if you elect to go back and inform our well-meaning runaway about Linda's fate.

Wait you can tell Pepe? I never knew.

Just like I didn't know you could steal Borkano's sub in the initial harvest of the PSX version until someone told me.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Wait you can tell Pepe? I never knew.

Just like I didn't know you could steal Borkano's sub in the initial harvest of the PSX version until someone told me.

Oh, yeah. It winds up making him TRULY miserable, though. MARIBEL scolds you, in a LEGITIMATE fashion. It's basically there if you just want to make yourself feel worse for making the poor man feel truly awful about what happens.

Oh, yeah. It winds up making him TRULY miserable, though. MARIBEL scolds you, in a LEGITIMATE fashion. It's basically there if you just want to make yourself feel worse for making the poor man feel truly awful about what happens.

Oh, I do, considering I blame the whole thing on him and his running off. Thanks for the tip!

Oh, I do, considering I blame the whole thing on him and his running off. Thanks for the tip!

Have fun making yourself miserable. =P Not like I won't be doing the same thing.

I love how the Ulcer looks like that one bad guy from Earthbound...the really nasty one? I forget his name.

Have fun making yourself miserable. =P Not like I won't be doing the same thing.

I love how the Ulcer looks like that one bad guy from Earthbound...the really nasty one? I forget his name.

Eh, I last saved in the Covenant right by him. So I'm in range. Plus he deserves it for how stupid his decision was.

Deal with the full consequences!

Edited by Glaceon Mage