Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past

Dai

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished the Al Balad events (in the past at least.).

My only issue (except the beginning part.) is the lowering of Class level cap. Only Ruff (renamed Raph in French, which I found really great since it's actually a real name) could win classes level in Dharma and Al Balad region (I could win level in the Sphinx at least.)

About the Roamers arc :

The worst is when you come back in Melyor. Everyone reminds you Kiefer is gone. And seeing his little sister so depressed break my heart every time. I try to avoid comming back there as much as possible.

And then the game achieve you with the Alltrades Abbey Arc because you didn't lost enough hope already. Damn!

​Gameplay Wise, he wasn't really missed for random battles because

Boomerangs + Whip destroy most opposition quite quickly.

I just finished the Al Balad events (in the past at least.).

My only issue (except the beginning part.) is the lowering of Class level cap. Only Ruff (renamed Raph in French, which I found really great since it's actually a real name) could win classes level in Dharma and Al Balad region (I could win level in the Sphinx at least.)

About the Roamers arc :

The worst is when you come back in Melyor. Everyone reminds you Kiefer is gone. And seeing his little sister so depressed break my heart every time. I try to avoid comming back there as much as possible.

And then the game achieve you with the Alltrades Abbey Arc because you didn't lost enough hope already. Damn!

​Gameplay Wise, he wasn't really missed for random battles because

Boomerangs + Whip destroy most opposition quite quickly.

[spoiler=class level stuff]The travellers tablets the game gives you have pretty high caps. Slimetree forest has a cap of 19 (which is absurd considering it consists only of basic slimes), and all of them from the seventh on have an unlimited cap Edited by Glaceon Mage

I never ever played the playstation version, so I'm really happy to be able to play it on 3DS !

Kiefer is such a bro, and yet all the NPC treat him like an idiot, like the main character, eh. No respect, ever.
Maribel... shut up Maribel. :p

Is it me or the battles are kind of too easy ? I first tried the mine and the tower, it's kind of unnerving since it's a Dragon Quest.

By the by, I really enjoyed the colored gem puzzle in the mine, it was really fun.

I never ever played the playstation version, so I'm really happy to be able to play it on 3DS !

Kiefer is such a bro, and yet all the NPC treat him like an idiot, like the main character, eh. No respect, ever.

Maribel... shut up Maribel. :p

Is it me or the battles are kind of too easy ? I first tried the mine and the tower, it's kind of unnerving since it's a Dragon Quest.

By the by, I really enjoyed the colored gem puzzle in the mine, it was really fun.

The game is definitely easier than the Playstation version. I think the job system changes help make up for that, however. You're a while away from that point though.

Kiefer is ridiculously cool, it's no wonder he got a DQM game to his name. :P:

The game is definitely easier than the Playstation version. I think the job system changes help make up for that, however. You're a while away from that point though.

Kiefer is ridiculously cool, it's no wonder he got a DQM game to his name. :P:

"Job system", Oh shoot.

I'm going to farm like hell eh ? Like in DQVI ?

The game is just awesome so far, especially story-wise. I know it's kind of the base 'Rebuild the world', but each time, there's a pretty twist. And the game just doesn't give a damn. And it's cool. That pretty badass. And to think this is a game that came out on playstation.

Ruff look a lot like DQV's MC, child version... and he's low level.

Oh well.

Edited by B.Leu

"Job system", Oh shoot.

I'm going to farm like hell eh ? Like in DQVI ?

The game is just awesome so far, especially story-wise. I know it's kind of the base 'Rebuild the world', but each time, there's a pretty twist. And the game just doesn't give a damn. And it's cool. That pretty badass. And to think this is a game that came out on playstation.

Oh well.

The job system is nearly identical to DQVI at the most basic level. It's more expansive than VI, though there is a major difference that sets it apart from VI's for the 3DS version: Skills learned in an advanced or super human class do not carry out of it. Basic human class skills and monster class skills do

Also, the hybrid skill mechanic from DQ7 PS1 was removed, probably because they were such a guide dang it previously.

And yeah, ever since I first saw Gabo/Ruff when I first played DQ7 PS1, I thought he looked like the DQV protag, to the point I named him after the guy after the relearner opened.

Oh well.

Ruff have a larger head, and more, spikier hair. They only common point is being a child and having black hair.

Ruff is... interresting.

He's the fastest character of the game (due to his level, there's time where Marible is fastest. No other characters come nearly as close to them), he starts pretty underwhelming, but he gains lot of Defence and Attack early on, and then, somewhere between level 21 and level 30 (According tomy note on the PS1 Version, they stop growing as much (He still have a good enough Attack) He also have a hard time finding good Equipment (Armor /Weapon), but he can equip boomerang (The only one able to use them with the Hero). So he's at his be(a)st early to mid game.

And he learns some unique (in name only) and cool skills.

Shepherd is a good option, since it allows him to put all the ennemies to sleep for free. Thief, Pirate are other good options.

You're stuck with him for most of the game anyway.

Ruff have a larger head, and more, spikier hair. They only common point is being a child and having black hair.

Ruff is... interresting.

He's the fastest character of the game (due to his level, there's time where Marible is fastest. No other characters come nearly as close to them), he starts pretty underwhelming, but he gains lot of Defence and Attack early on, and then, somewhere between level 21 and level 30 (According tomy note on the PS1 Version, they stop growing as much (He still have a good enough Attack) He also have a hard time finding good Equipment (Armor /Weapon), but he can equip boomerang (The only one able to use them with the Hero). So he's at his be(a)st early to mid game.

And he learns some unique (in name only) and cool skills.

Shepherd is a good option, since it allows him to put all the ennemies to sleep for free. Thief, Pirate are other good options.

You're stuck with him for most of the game anyway.

I thought it was the similar fashion choices that created the effect. Both wear turbans, tattery capes, and tunics on top of the bushy black hair.

There's also the limited PSX sprites preventing details from going much farther in first impressions in my case.

Whelp. Darkness my old friend.

The 'robot' island was just deppressing, it did end on a good note, still, I never want go there ever again.

Kiefer, why. :-(

It should've been Maribel, she is always pain in the butt, not Kiefer.

I would bet my left hand that the MC is the legendary hero that people often talk about, send in the past, or something of the same caliber. The mark he have make it clear.

Boomerangs are life.

For the classes, the hero and Maribel are Priest (for healing and def buff spell), and Ruff is a Thief for now. Later I plan for the Hero to become Martial Artist, then Paladin, Maribel, Mage then, obviously Sage, and for Ruff... I dunno, Pirate or Sheperd,then whatever level 2 class.
I'd be sage to assume that the level 3 class is Hero, and like in DQVI, you have to master multiple class ?

Edited by B.Leu

Whelp. Darkness my old friend.

The 'robot' island was just deppressing, it did end on a good note, still, I never want go there ever again.

Kiefer, why. :-(

It should've been Maribel, she is always pain in the butt, not Kiefer.

I would bet my left hand that the MC is the legendary hero that people often talk about, send in the past, or something of the same caliber. The mark he have make it clear.

Boomerangs are life.

For the classes, the hero and Maribel are Priest (for healing and def buff spell), and Ruff is a Thief for now. Later I plan for the Hero to become Martial Artist, then Paladin, Maribel, Mage then, obviously Sage, and for Ruff... I dunno, Pirate or Sheperd,then whatever level 2 class.

I'd be sage to assume that the level 3 class is Hero, and like in DQVI, you have to master multiple class ?

And the present version of the Robot Island is even sadder. "The soup is cold. I need to warm it. The soup will wake up the master. The soup is cold.."

You can ditch her eventually, but she will still be here for a while

MC's story isn't revealed until really late in the game.

The 3 Master Classes are :

-God Hand (Gladiator + Paladin). The best physical class, but also an amzing healer (Kazing + Multiheal).

-Druid. (Summoner + Luminary) The ultimate magic class. Have the best summons, and the strongest spells. Have Hustle Dance instead of Multiheal.

Hero. The ultimate class. Only way to have Omniheal outside Platinum Jewel. They basically threw all the best stuff in this version. You need to master 3 Intermediate/Master Class to access it. The Hero doesn't have any easy access like in

Ruff as a Shepherd (a true Wolf in Sheep clothing). can put everyone in to sleep before they even move eventually. Thief is also cool for him (and Thief is needed for the Mariner (Pirate is the Advanced Class) or Shepherd Advanced option. You can make him learn the physical classes as well, but that's more an afterthought.

Maribel is pretty typecasted. Mage + Priest = Sage is obvious. but Dancer + Bard + Gadabout =Luminary also works (It take advantage of her fantastic style).

I like to make the Hero a Pirate for obvious reasons, but the physical classes works pretty well on him.

Btw, what is your level ? Because the Slime tablet you obtain in the event have a class level cap of 19, so if you're not too overleveled, it'll help you greatly.

Ugh, don't remind me. I just don't know what is the more sad.

The omnipresent feeling feeling ot war and sadness, the doc replaced one robot he created with one he simple reprogramed that end up outliving just about everybody, this well-meaning, but narowminded king...

At least, everything ends up alright, and she said 'Thank you' at the end, it's cheesy but it warm the heart.

I just finished the desert, I'm level 19/18. MC and Mirabel are Priest lv 5 and Ruff level 7... I dunno how such a gap is possible.You really are overhyping the Sheperd class to me, so i'll make him a Sheperd after mastering Thief.

It's good to have people acknowledging what the heroes did do for once. :p

I can see why people love this game so much, it's a very good game.

The omnipresent feeling feeling ot war and sadness, the doc replaced one robot he created with one he simple reprogramed that end up outliving just about everybody, this well-meaning, but narowminded king...

At least, everything ends up alright, and she said 'Thank you' at the end, it's cheesy but it warm the heart.

I just finished the desert, I'm level 19/18. MC and Mirabel are Priest lv 5 and Ruff level 7... I dunno how such a gap is possible.You really are overhyping the Sheperd class to me, so i'll make him a Sheperd after mastering Thief.

Eri/E.L.L.I.E. was actually a replacement goldfish for Zebbot/Autonymus's dead love, not the other robot. A book in his study and a conversation he has with the princess at the end of the scenario reveal this.

Did he die too much ?

For me, he now have around 2 level less than Maribel/MC.

I didn't thought too much of it at first, but it surprised me how usefull it saved me (a combination of heir single target sleep spell and Sandstorm allowed him to finish the Bottle Boss in the Monster Tablet (Since it's moves it also had, it was interresting.)

(It also had that staff that cast Midheal/Healmore). What makes it great for Ruff is how fast he is, and as such, how soon he can inflicts status effect.

Mariner is also pretty great (awesome bonuses, and learns Lightning when mastered (35-50 damage to all for free), which is extremely good right now.

I saw a Golem dance, thanks to Dancer Maribel,,and it was an amazing moment.

As of me, I'm in the Sunken City in the past. I made Ruff a Monster Tamer, because I want to catch an EvilTurtle in order to makes a Monster Tablet later (Evil Turtle's Heart Bonus are too good to pass on. Kabuff, Oomph (and Backflip)).

Glad you like the game so far.

I want to thank you you guys for all the tips you're giving me, I really appreciate it !

Eri/E.L.L.I.E. was actually a replacement goldfish for Zebbot/Autonymus's dead love, not the other robot. A book in his study and a conversation he has with the princess at the end of the scenario reveal this.

Oh I know, I was referencing to the tragedy of the replacement goldfish being replaced for another replacement.
Sorry for the misunderstanding !

Did he die too much ?

For me, he now have around 2 level less than Maribel/MC.

I didn't thought too much of it at first, but it surprised me how usefull it saved me (a combination of heir single target sleep spell and Sandstorm allowed him to finish the Bottle Boss in the Monster Tablet (Since it's moves it also had, it was interresting.)

(It also had that staff that cast Midheal/Healmore). What makes it great for Ruff is how fast he is, and as such, how soon he can inflicts status effect.

Mariner is also pretty great (awesome bonuses, and learns Lightning when mastered (35-50 damage to all for free), which is extremely good right now.

I saw a Golem dance, thanks to Dancer Maribel,,and it was an amazing moment.

As of me, I'm in the Sunken City in the past. I made Ruff a Monster Tamer, because I want to catch an EvilTurtle in order to makes a Monster Tablet later (Evil Turtle's Heart Bonus are too good to pass on. Kabuff, Oomph (and Backflip)).

Glad you like the game so far.

Eh, I think it's the MC and Mirabel who died one or two time, that must be it.

Whelp, I know what to do with Ruff.

One thing that I liked about him, is that even though he started at level 1, he still had good stats and just after gaining some levels, he already catched up with the others it's a nice touch.

...I don't actually remember this.

To be fair, you have to LOSE the battle against the bandits in Alltrades' present. I...don't THINK you lose anything? I didn't seem to lose any gold or items when I checked? Though I closed the game anyway. That reminds me: this game should've had a soft-reset function. Going to the home menu and closing the game takes for-freakin'-ever.

To be fair, you have to LOSE the battle against the bandits in Alltrades' present. I...don't THINK you lose anything? I didn't seem to lose any gold or items when I checked? Though I closed the game anyway. That reminds me: this game should've had a soft-reset function. Going to the home menu and closing the game takes for-freakin'-ever.

Really?

It's atually quite short. Is it because I've a N3DS? (you use the reset button, then press the home button.)

Anyway, I got my next party member, and took tons of time to makes him nearly all the base human classes(bar Bard (current class) and Mariner.).

...You don't have to lose to them. I beat them the first time I fought them this version easily. I will admit I lost to them the first time I fought them on PSX and forgot they buried you though.

Have Maribel spam Boom and you're good.

Really?

It's atually quite short. Is it because I've a N3DS? (you use the reset button, then press the home button.)

Anyway, I got my next party member, and took tons of time to makes him nearly all the base human classes(bar Bard (current class) and Mariner.).

I've a New 3DS as well, and it still takes time.

...You don't have to lose to them. I beat them the first time I fought them this version easily. I will admit I lost to them the first time I fought them on PSX and forgot they buried you though.

Have Maribel spam Boom and you're good.

That doesn't work for me. She's still kind of frail, so enemies take her out rather easily, even though I've got some good armor.

Edited by Dai

I've a New 3DS as well, and it still takes time.

That doesn't work for me. She's still kind of frail, so enemies take her out rather easily, even though I've got some good armor.

That's odd. Have you sent anyone through Sailor? You can get a hit everyone skill (that costs no MP!) from mastering it in this version (it was a combo skill originally).

That's odd. Have you sent anyone through Sailor? You can get a hit everyone skill (that costs no MP!) from mastering it in this version (it was a combo skill originally).

I just started doing classes-Hero as Warrior, Maribel as Mage, and Ruff as a Priest. Even before changing into a mage, she was still rather squishy.