Karel or Harken?

SdarkyNecro

Harken or Karel?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Please tell me why. I'd like to know!

I'm currently doing a playthrough of Blazing Sword, and I'm about to reach Pale Flower Of Darkness. Which of the two characters is a better choice? Harken or Karel?

I'm playing on ENM (because it's my first playthrough in a while) , and I think I'm on Kenneth's version.

Edited by SdarkyNecro

Alright, let's do a little bit of comparing...

KAREL

Swordmaster, level 8

Max HP: 31 [70%]

Strength: 16 [30%]

Skill: 23 [50%]

Speed: 20 [50%]

Luck: 15 [30%]

Defense: 13 [10%]

Resistance: 12 [15%]

Constitution: 9

Movement: 6

Swords: A

Starting Inventory:

Wo Dao

HARKEN

Hero, level 8

Max HP: 38 (N) / 42 (H) [80%]

Strength: 21 (N) / 23 (H) [35%]

Skill: 20 (N) / 22 (H) [30%]

Speed: 17 (N) / 18 (H) [40%]

Luck: 12 [20%]

Defense: 15 (N) / 16 (H) [30%]

Resistance: 10 (N) / 11 (H) [25%]

Constitution: 11

Movement: 6

Swords: B

Axes: B

Starting Inventory:

Brave Sword

Harken is better in HP, Strength, Defense, and Constitution, while Karel is better in Skill, Speed, Luck, and Resistance.

However, from a functional perspective, Karel's leads in Speed and Skill (which aren't all that big to begin with) aren't really going to make a whole lot of difference, since Harken's probably still going to be doubling (and hitting) most enemies, and Harken also picks up the Speed slack a little bit by not being slowed down as much (or at all) by weapons that would hit Karel's Attack Speed harder (although Karel's base Attack Speed is higher to begin with, and is more likely to increase by more as he levels up). He can also rescue units up to 10 Con (while Karel can only rescue units up to 8), and he has access to a whole other (pretty versatile) weapon type; Axes. Meanwhile, Karel is locked to Swords. Then there's also the fact that the Brave Sword is a better weapon than the Wo Dao (for which you can easily substitute a Killing Edge), and can be wielded by any sword-wielding unit, rather than just Lyn and Myrmidon-line characters. Harken's pretty much objectively the better choice, although Karel is hardly unusable or anything.

Harken can also be recruited by three times the amount of characters who can recruit Karel, but that's hardly relevant.

Honestly, go with whoever you want, since FE7 really isn't that hard of a Fire Emblem game, but if you want to know who the better unit is by objective measures, it's Harken.

Edited by Topaz Light

I prefer Karel,because of his personality but in terms of gameplay Harken will have an advantage,his sword is better and he has hard mode bonuses,which will put him in a considerable advantage. But in Normal Mode choose whoever you prefer. I tend to choose Karel,but Harken is better option.

• 4 weeks later...

Statistically, Harken compares favorably to Karel.

However, it is highly relevant which version of Pale Flower of Darkness you're playing: On Kenneth's map, it's easier to get Karel; on Jerme's map, it's easier to get Harken.

And I believe Kenneth's map is generally better-liked than Jerme's.

• 1 month later...

While I do prefer Karel, Harken outclasses on hard mode which does put him at a huge advantage. He also comes with a brave sword which is a subjectively better weapon than Wo dao. Karel is by no means a bad unit (except for that disgusting defence growth). I personally prefer Karel because I think he is a better character and I like the Swordmaster class better.