EXP gain in TearRing Saga

ruadath

I'm sure people have noticed this before, but I just wanted to comment on how odd it is that this game not only takes into account difference in level/class when calculating combat EXP, but also the amount of damage that you're character would take from the round of combat.

It just seems like a rather odd gameplay feature to me, since it encourages me to make kills with WTD for the extra EXP, or to kill archers from range with a Javelin instead of close up... and perhaps worst of all really disincentivizes the use of Shields. Thankfully, EXP gain isn't really a huge deal in this game anyway, but I just found it rather strange.

Are you sure it's a thing? There's definitely no weapon triangle in the game, though.

The damage affecting EXP is definitely a thing, and it appears that supports also affect your EXP. I didn't really check about the Weapon Triangle, but for reference in the first chapter, Arkis gets 44 EXP if he kills the cav who attacks Kate on turn 4 with the Slim Lance. In your LTC playthrough, he only gets 37 because he is holding the Leather Shield. However, if he does not have the shield and kill with the Iron Sword, he gets 45 EXP.

At the very least, I can conclusively say that holding onto the Shield reduces your EXP gain. As for the supports, they seem to affect it, but I'm not sure how.

I don't actually know how the supports affect it since I haven't done enough testing, but it does appear to be the case that the units around you affect your EXP gain, and I assumed this was just a result of support bonuses (not sure). In particular, it appears that if I had Runan positioned close to Sasha, then she would gain less EXP, and similarly with Kate and Sasha, though I'm not at sure about how the mechanics work. Maybe the supports just increase Def or something?

EDIT: The supports only seem to affect the EXP by like a point or two, so it's probably negligible.

Edited by ruadath

I finished Berwick a while ago, but in general you only get EXP from Berwick for kills, healing, visiting villages, and capturing. And it seemed relatively consistent (since it was a function of level for capturing and killing, everything else was a constant EXP gain). But I was just playing once to get a feel for the game; I didn't actually try to discover anything.

It helps that Serenes has the exp formula anyway, so I don't need to expand on that for Berwick. TRS' EXP formula didn't make sense to me because Sasha was like 6 levels higher than Martel at some point but got twice as much EXP (Sasha did not have Paragon btw) after a kill. One thing is consistent and that's the 20 EXP minimum for a kill.

Edited by Lord Raven

Maybe the supports just increase Def or something?

http://www.fireemblemwod.com/trs/ENG_apoyos.htm

Playing around with savestates, I tried out a few scenarios with Iron Sword!Kreiss ORKOing the same archer each time.

Kreiss alone; 41 exp

Sasha (Charm) nearby; 40 exp

Runan/Arkis nearby; 39 exp

Runan/Arkis & Sasha nearby; 38 exp

Runan & Arkis nearby; 37 exp

Runan, Arkis & Sasha nearby; 36 exp

Also, KOing a particular enemy from a forest tile vs. a plains tile lost me 3 exp. So based on all this the subtraction definitely has something to do with hit/avo, though I'm too lazy to dig further into this.

I wonder if those attributes add to your power stat (which is the congregation of all of your stats) or something. Can you check that out? See if it modifies that stat or something when you equip something different.

Iron Sword!Kreiss (alone): 82 Pow

Sasha (Charm) nearby; 84 Pow

Runan/Arkis nearby; 86 Pow

Runan/Arkis & Sasha nearby; 87 Pow

Runan & Arkis nearby; 89 Pow

Runan, Arkis & Sasha nearby; 91 Pow

So I guess this confirms your hypothesis Lord Raven.

It was Refa's, not mine. I think my only suggestion was that power was more than just raw stats, but had corrections due to combat; Refa suggested it was tied to power.

EDIT: It makes sense anyway, since it is still "if you're weaker you get more EXP."

Edited by Lord Raven

So what this all means is that if you want to get more experience from kills, you should try to:

1) do it with a weaker weapon, like Slim Sword

2) attack a stronger enemy

3) abstain from using boosts from buff staves and shields

4) have poor stats somehow

I guess that means 0% growths runs have the quickest levelling.

• 2 weeks later...