Rate my Revelation Pairings

CooledEvergreen

I've started on my second Revelation run, and was hoping to get some tips on who would make better pairings, what skills the kids should inherit and what classes they should be. Nothing's set in stone except for Corrin's modifiers, though I'd like to keep LaslowxAzura as Speed has always been a issue with me and Soleil.

Pairings:

• F!Corrin and Kaden (+Strength, -Luck)
  • Laslow and Azura
  • Jakob and Nyx
  • Silas and Hinoka
  • Kaze and Setsuna
  • Ryoma and Camilla
  • Takumi and Oboro
  • Saizo and Orochi
  • Hinata and Kagero
  • Azama and Rinkah
  • Subaki and Hana
  • Hayato and Felicia
  • Xander and Charlotte
  • Leo and Sakura
  • Benny and Beruka
  • Keaton and Effie
  • Arthur and Mozu
  • Odin and Elise
  • Niles and Selena

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Disclaimer: I'm not super well-versed in the eugenics and whatnot, and most of my knowledge is second-hand and whatnot so... grain of salt.

I've started on my second Revelation run, and was hoping to get some tips on who would make better pairings, what skills the kids should inherit and what classes they should be. Nothing's set in stone except for Corrin's modifiers, though I'd like to keep LaslowxAzura as Speed has always been a issue with me and Soleil.

Pairings:

• Laslow and Azura
  • Jakob and Nyx - Not sure about this one; I think Jakob is more of a physical parent...?? Not super sure tho, maybe someone can verify
  • Silas and Hinoka
  • Kaze and Setsuna
  • Ryoma and Camilla
  • Takumi and Oboro
  • Saizo and Orochi
  • Hinata and Kagero
  • Azama and Rinkah
  • Subaki and Hana
  • Hayato and Felicia
  • Xander and Charlotte
  • Leo and Sakura
  • Benny and Beruka
  • Keaton and Effie
  • Arthur and Mozu
  • Odin and Elise
  • Niles and Selena - Never seen this pair before, but maybe it could be good...? I honestly have no idea.

comments in green above

Most of these seem solid to me, but I'd suggest Niles x Nyx over the alternative, since that makes Nina pretty magically good. IDK how good or bad Jakob x Selena is, though.

• Jakob and Nyx - Not sure about this one; I think Jakob is more of a physical parent...?? Not super sure tho, maybe someone can verify

Yes, Jakob does indeed boost strength and deduce magic, but even in playthroughs where I had Jakob marry Rinkah I've always used Dwyer as a Strategist, so I think it could work. Plus I like their supports and Dwyer with black hair is A+

• Niles and Selena - Never seen this pair before, but maybe it could be good...? I honestly have no idea.

I've used Selena!Nina before, and she was pretty much a bow version of Felicia. She worked wonders with the Shining Bow.

Edited by CooledSheep

Takuobo is okay, but it does rob Takumi of a secondary class, and I personally think that Camilla and Hana are better mothers for Kiragi stat and class wise.

Azama and Rinkah will make Mitama lose out on a lot of potential strength. Effie is the best mom for her, no contest, though Hinoka is also pretty good. Your decision here.

You know what actually makes a good Nina? A magic mum and then giving her the Shining Bow for maximum wreckage. So I'd recommend giving her Nyx as a mother, unless you really want to use Dwyer as a mage.

In the end, it all really depends on which kids and units you want to use, I suppose. One or two kids are bound to be less than ideal.

Pairings:

• Laslow and Azura
  • Jakob and Nyx
  • Silas and Hinoka
  • Kaze and Setsuna
  • Ryoma and Camilla
  • Takumi and Oboro
  • Saizo and Orochi
  • Hinata and Kagero
  • Azama and Rinkah
  • Subaki and Hana
  • Hayato and Felicia
  • Xander and Charlotte
  • Leo and Sakura
  • Benny and Beruka
  • Keaton and Effie
  • Arthur and Mozu
  • Odin and Elise
  • Niles and Selena

Avatar/Kaden - I'd be more cautious with this one only because your children will always have beast and dragon weakness, but that isn't that prevalent of an issue within the game itself iirc. For a pairing like this, I probably would have gone +spd/-mag, but oh well.

Laslow/Azura - Terrible defense on Shigure and Soleil, so just make sure they can avoid most hits since they'll pretty much have to, and Azura's speed mod shouldn't be too hindered by Laslow's

Jakob/Nyx - Pretty good pairing from my experience; just make sure Dwyer is a physical and magic class to make the most of him

Silas/Hinoka - Another pretty alright pairing from my experience, but Sophie might fair better as a Hero than a Paladin

Kaze/Setsuna - Probably could have chosen a better pairing for this one, but I assume you want Midori to be ridiculously fast, so this works

Ryoma/Camilla - Probably would have done another one with this since they're both good

Takumi/Oboro - Another one where both parents are pretty good

Saizo/Orochi - Pretty standard; just treat Asugi similar to Dwyer

Hinata/Kagero - Probably could have chosen a better one for this; just make Hisame a physical, tanky class

Azama/Rinkah - Another pretty meh pairing; Mitama will be fairly fast and tanky, but you might have to worry about her strength for a bit (I normally do Takumi/Rinkah and Azama/Oboro cause Mitama's class options are pretty poor for her)

Subaki/Hana - Good pairing for Falcon Knight!Caeldori

Hayato/Felicia - Not bad, but could be better (I normally do Hayato/Nyx and Jakob/Felicia)

Xander/Charlotte - Also not bad, but could be better in regard to Siegbert's defenses

Leo/Sakura - Good pairing for Strategist!Forrest

Benny/Beruka - Good pairing for General!Ignatius

Keaton/Effie - Pretty good for Velouria

Arthur/Mozu - Could be better if you plan on making Percy a Wyvern Lord (I normally pick Kagero cause of her mods), but should work fine anyway

Odin/Elise - Good pairing for a magic Ophelia

Niles/Selena - Not really good; Nina will have poor strength and skill and less promotions, but she should be fine with the right skills as a Bow Knight or smth similar (I pair Niles with Peri typically, but that's only good if you plan on Nina being an Adventurer)

Azama and Rinkah will make Mitama lose out on a lot of potential strength. Effie is the best mom for her, no contest, though Hinoka is also pretty good. Your decision here.

I think I may switch Rinakh and Hinoka around then, as I prefer Mitama over Sophie personality wise.

Are you grinding and playing on Normal/Casual? If so, then you shouldn't care about making "optimal" pairings and just pair whoever you want.

I'm playing on Hard Classic, and even if I was, I'd still be making this topic. Discussing pairings and how they affect kids is one of my favorite aspects of the newer FE games, and what usually sparks my interest for a new playthrough is wanting to try out a new pair and see how they work.

Kaze/Setsuna - Probably could have chosen a better pairing for this one, but I assume you want Midori to be ridiculously fast, so this works

She has very similar modifiers to KazexAzura, but with more defense and less luck and res. I liked Azura!Midori in my Birthright save so I think I can make Setsuna work.

Idrc if you're playing on Hard, my point is that if you're grinding then all your pairings will work just by virture of your units being stronger than the enemy. If you're playing normally, then you have way to many units you plan to marry and deploy. Like I could tell you that Saizo x Orochi, Azama x Rinkah, Subaki x Hana, and Niles x Selena are garbage for many reasons, but if you're grinding ad nauseum with Challenges or Boo Camp it doesn't matter.

Saizo/Orochi is far from garbage. A little non-traditional perhaps, but Asugi makes for a good magic unit (dark flier is my preferance) and he can take the hit to speed much better than some other units.

Pairings:

• Laslow and Azura Staple pairing for Rallybot Lazlow. 10/10 for Lazlow, decent for Shigure and Soleil
  • Jakob and Nyx This is a weird pairing, you are fighting against Jakob's mods for this. Dwyer is one of the lowest priority children and you are putting the highest priority mage for his mom. Reconsider this. (Nyx!Nina, Nyx!Rhajat and Nyx!Ophelia are better options for Nyx)
  • Silas and Hinoka Staple pairing, Silas and Hinoka cover each others weakness (Hinoka wants str, Silas wants spd). The resulting Sophie is serviceable.
  • Kaze and Setsuna Gotta go fast pairing! The other good version of it is Azura!Midori, but Setsuna!Midori is fairly comparable.
  • Ryoma and Camilla Great for Camilla, okay for Ryoma. Camilla is one of your best moms, consider spreading out the benefit of royal lineage. Any of the str moms work for Shiro, and you could even argue for Elise for basara Shiro (but that's a weird thing)
  • Takumi and Oboro Oboro is your other staple str mom that works everywhere. Kiragi is a mid to low tier child, I dunno if I would give him the benefit of Oboro genetics.
  • Saizo and Orochi A great Asugi build. Another one to consider is Beruka!Asugi if you want high skill, but Orochi!Asugi is a magical experience
  • Hinata and Kagero Hinata works with almost anybody, Hisame benefits from almost anything.
  • Azama and Rinkah Rinkah fights against Azama's massive str score and is one of the worst moms. Consider Effie!Mitama, consider Rinkah for the forever alone position.
  • Subaki and Hana This is fine
  • Hayato and Felicia Good magic pair-up, other potential candidates are Sakura, Orochi and Nyx. All work and are pretty interchangeable
  • Xander and Charlotte Staple massive strength berserker Seigfried pair-up bot. Enjoy the boosts for whoever gets the benefits of his noble genetics
  • Leo and Sakura A good pairing, the other pairing I would consider here is Felicia!Folieo as it is one of the few places that Felicia doesn't gimp a child
  • Benny and Beruka Good tank, the other potential mom here is Rinkah and it is the only place I consider Rinkah to not ruin a kid.
  • Keaton and Effie Solid, but I prefer Effie with Azama to maximize str bonuses. Consider Camilla here because it makes Velouria half tank, half beat stick
  • Arthur and Mozu Classic all American family
  • Odin and Elise Elise's best pairing, she gets everything she wants from Odin. Decent pairing for Odin and Ophelia can utilize Elise's mods just fine
  • Niles and Selena Nina is versatile, and of the best children in either mag or str depending on the parent. Solid

It's pretty bad for Saizo and Asugi has better options, only Orochi benefits because Ninja bonuses are pretty nuts. Saizo and Asuigi best pairings involve Kagero, Charlotte, and Oboro.

Asugi can work as a mixed attacker. Saizo's got weird growth rates.

Saizo and Asugi have what can be considered flexible Str and Mag growths (both rest at nearly 50% with a -5% penalty in the stat they don't favour). Saizo favours Str slightly and Asugi favours Mag slightly. Orochi!Asugi, strengthens Asugi towards magic, if you want to leave him as a Ninja you have Flame Shuriken, Felcia's Plate, Levin Sword and Leo's Iceblade for magic weapons. It is a good idea to leave him as a ninja for a bit, let him poison/debuff targets, get some speed growths and move him into Onmyoji to bask in his 78% mag growth.

Saizo and Orochi benefit from each other as both of them struggle with speed and both their classes, Master Ninja and Onmyoji provide speed in pair up.

High value mothers for Asugi include, Oboro for bulk, Kagerou for raw strength, Charlotte for raw strength and speed (but she has better pairings), and Orochi for magic support

If you are having trouble gaining weapon ranks, my castle battles are a great option to train up (double awesome for staves as you can burn them completely and not waste them)

Saizo and Asugi have what can be considered flexible Str and Mag growths (both rest at nearly 50% with a -5% penalty in the stat they don't favour). Saizo favours Str slightly and Asugi favours Mag slightly. Orochi!Asugi, strengthens Asugi towards magic, if you want to leave him as a Ninja you have Flame Shuriken, Felcia's Plate, Levin Sword and Leo's Iceblade for magic weapons. It is a good idea to leave him as a ninja for a bit, let him poison/debuff targets, get some speed growths and move him into Onmyoji to bask in his 78% mag growth.

Actually, I was thinking of letting Asugi be a Master Ninja for a bit to get Speed then reclass him into a Grandmaster so I can take full advantage of his mixed Str and Mag plus iirc Grandmaster gives good Pair-Up bonuses, and I've never had much luck getting the Magic Physical Weapons.

Actually, I was thinking of letting Asugi be a Master Ninja for a bit to get Speed then reclass him into a Grandmaster so I can take full advantage of his mixed Str and Mag plus iirc Grandmaster gives good Pair-Up bonuses, and I've never had much luck getting the Magic Physical Weapons.

That will give you good flexibility between str and mag. While your stats will lean magic slightly you will be able to choose between physical and magic attacks based on what your opponents defenses are. I recommend recruiting Asugi post chapter 21 so that he gets an offspring seal that gives you some sword ranks to work with right away from a master ninja promotion (you will also get lethality). Then you can reclass to grandmaster

Mixed in what, Master Ninja? If so, then that's the worst class to be mixed in because Flame Shurikan is pretty bad on Master Ninja who have better Str and better physical weapons. (String, Dual, forged Irons/Steels, etc). You can commit to making Asugi a Basara and feeding him two Arms Scroll for Bolt Naginata and Horse Spirit, but at that point you're shoving valuable resources into a kid unit who probabaly joins near the end. Keeping Orochi!Asugi as a Master Ninja isn't an option because his Strength growth is awful now. At least Orochi!Asugi's bulk is good, but it's offset by Flame Shurikan's steep penalties: -20 Avoid and no ability to proc/crit.

Meanwhile, Orochi wants to go Basara, but that screws over Saizo because Basara bonuses are bad so she's stuck in the worse Omnyoji. Saizo will miss OHKO on bulkier enemies because Orochi gives +Mag and +Spd and Flame Shurikan isn't enough and the -20 Avoid and losing thr ability to proc Astra or Lethality means Saizo will die in EP a lot if he sticks around. Now you're in a situation where Saizo isn't doing enough damage and Orochi will make Saizo her fodder or vice versa. And this situation can be avoided by marrying Orochi to Hayato or befriending Nyx and Saizo is won't have damage issues while getting proc Astra if he marries Charlotte, Kagero, or Oboro.

The only reason why the pairing got so much traction anyway is because GameFAQ users are obssessed with modifiers and noticed Saizo and Orochi have crappy Spd modifiers and stuck them together like Benny x Beruka. Then the rest of the fandom on Reddit and this site followed.

Dude, take a chill pill. ;/

Asugi's options are:

- Basara (please don't do this TC)

- Grandmaster (fairly amusing, and Ignis is pretty good)

- Dark Flier (combine with some of the Grandmaster stuff for sheer hilarity)

- Butler (A+ Dwyer, though I have no idea why you'd want to do this)

- marry some chick like Caeldori/Mitama for some other staff class access

If you're worried about pairings, have Orochi reclass to Master Ninja and forever be a support unit or something. It's not like TC is doing a Lunatic optimized run.

This is a topic about some pairings in a video game, not a thesis. The fact that you're arguing this point proves it.

WHY OP wants to do this is their own reason - maybe they want to see how it works, maybe they like the convo, or maybe it's something else. At the end of the day, Fates is a pretty open-ended game, and the player is the one that gives meaning to it. In other words, if you're not willing to work with TC, or at least respect their wishes, please refrain from posting.

Wow what a response, "take a chill pill," which is ironic coming from you. I'm just defending my position in that Orochi!Asugi is bad.

Obviously, which loops back to my original comment of why should OP or anyone care about how OP's pairings turn out if he's grinding on Hard/Classic with access to broken DLC classes/skills.

Not everyone plays this game the same way, the OP just wanted some advice on his setup. I don't care why he wants, but I like our little community here and when I have the time I will share what I have learned in the over 700 hours of playtime I've logged in this game and the offline time I've put into excel spread sheets for looking at how numbers and classes line up.

Somewhat back on topic, Cooledsheep, if you want advice on end game pvp setups send me a PM and I'll give you a crash course.

This is a topic about some pairings in a video game, not a thesis. The fact that you're arguing this point proves it.

WHY OP wants to do this is their own reason - maybe they want to see how it works, maybe they like the convo, or maybe it's something else. At the end of the day, Fates is a pretty open-ended game, and the player is the one that gives meaning to it. In other words, if you're not willing to work with TC, or at least respect their wishes, please refrain from posting.

Obviously, but clearly you don't like it when people disagree and try to support there statement. Fwiw, I wasn't pleased when I took time to list why Orochi!Asugi is subpar and listed other pairings that are great for Asugi and even Saizo, and your response was take a chill pill and acted like I started this =). If you think Orochi is such a great mom for Asugi, I'm more than happy to hear it.

My arguing proves what? And I'am working with TC; I told him or her that pairings don't really matter if they're grinding. I even listed his/her pairings that were subpar, but noted that even if they're bad, it'll work if he/she is grinding.

Heck, everyone knows this, that's why all of these "Rate my Pairings for Rev =)" on this site, Reddit, and others gain little traction in comments, interest, and views because pairings don't really matter.

On the other hand, your only contribution was telling me Orochi!Asugi is fine, then told me to take a chill pill for writing out a decent post, and now you're showing me your mod badge with that last line on your last post.

Cool to know you take this game more seriously than me man.

I made this topic for the same reason why I joined the Forums a year ago: opinions.

This may come as a shock to some as it's the Internet, but I love opinions, they're one of the best things in the world. If you look at all the topics I made about 90% of them is me sowing the seeds by asking a question and watching it grow, there's been times where I brainstorm topics in my spare time that would get good mileage. I help run a Skype Group for the same reasons, I enjoy people voicing their thoughts, disagreeing, agreeing and overall discussing a topic. This is going to bring out the inner basement-dweller inside of me, but when I get a notification that someone's replied to my topic I squeal a little with excitement.

I never intended this to be a "How do I One-Round Revelations?", and it's very possible I wasn't clear on that. I'm in the process of a Revelations Run, and I wanted to share my pairings, arguably one of the most flexible features in a FE game, and see other's opinions and see what worked for them and have them share their experiences.

Yes, I did express intrest in Nanima's proposal for Nyx!Nina and all that jazz, but it wasn't because now I can one-shot the final boss, and I can dominate online play, it's because it was something new and I wanted to try it out.

Somewhat back on topic, Cooledsheep, if you want advice on end game pvp setups send me a PM and I'll give you a crash course.

Thank you very much for your offer, but I'll be fine, for reasons expressed above.