Serenes Smash Tournament Hub

Jedi

This has been a long time coming, but we should have a central hub for tourney results, and suggestions etc.

Previous Tournaments

Return of Serenes Forest Smash - Winner IceSage, so far the only 32 man Serenes Tourney

Joined by Fate - Winner Dotty

Radiant Confrontation - Winner IceSage

Nerf Me To the Moon Wii U - Winner IceSage

Nerf Me To the Moon 3DS - Winner Aura Wolf

Thracia77Swiss (Swiss styled tourney with a top 6 finale) - Winner Knife

Previous Tournaments that stray from the Norm

The King of Dankness (Ganondorf Tournament) - Winner Aura Wolf

In Progress Tournaments

Draft Crews Round Robin

Azure Blue World

Suggestions

Reverse Main Format - Suggested by Jiac & Euklyd.

Current Ruleset we are using for main tournaments.

Ruleset
3 Stock
8 Minutes
Double Elimination.
No Customs (barring the small Mii rule at the bottom)

Starter Stages
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Town & City
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages
Dreamland 64
Duck Hunt
Omega Stages*

*In the banning phase, banning Final Destination bans Omegas as well. But as a starter stage, Omega's cannot be chosen regularly

SET PROCEDURE
Players select characters, tell each other your character of choice -Dishonesty will not be tolerated- if a player wishes, they may opt for a blind pick, in which both players secretly inform a neutral third party of their selection, and that person announces both at the same time
First stage is selected according to stage striking.
Game is played
Counterpicking procedure takes place:
Game winner bans 1 stage. This ban is in effect for the following game ONLY.
Game loser picks stage from among legal stages. Players/teams may not pick ANY stage they have won on in the set previously except by agreement of the opponent (Stage Clause, also known as Modified Dave's Stupid Rule).
Winning player change characters.
Losing player may change characters.
Next game is played.

STAGE STRIKING:
Use Game & Watch Hammer (Both players pick G&W and do his side b for the higher number) or flip a coin on Discord. Winner strikes the first stage. Loser then strikes the next two stages. Winner strikes the last one effectively choosing the first stage they play on. (1-2-1)

Daves Stupid Rule
You may not counterpick to a stage you have won on in the set unless your opponent agrees to it.

Gentlemans Rule
If you and your opponent agree to it, you may play a nonlegal stage (I.E Midgar,Gamer, etc) or a stage won on by the current player picking (It negates Daves Stupid Rule)

Mii's
You may make a Mii for tourney play if you so wish, but you can only setup one of each type and you can't switch their movesets after you lock them in.

Replays
You are to send replays to me (NNID is Jedisupersonic), each match of your sets, no exceptions, however if you do miss replays you won't be penalized, I'll just be disappointed.

Edited by Jedi

This is a really useful thread; we should consider asking for it to be pinned.

Are we planning to index older tournament threads as well, or just the revived series?

I'd suggest separating gimmick tourneys from main-sequence tourneys, though.

This is a really useful thread; we should consider asking for it to be pinned.

Are we planning to index older tournament threads as well, or just the revived series?

I'd suggest separating gimmick tourneys from main-sequence tourneys, though.

I think just the revived series for the time being.

Also I'll do that in a mo.

I just came up with a really cool, 100% original idea for a tournament entirely on my own! I call it the "Reverse Main" format! Basically, each player uses THEIR OPPONENT'S main in their set!!!!!!!!!11!!!!1!

Jedi, I think you should add it to the OP! I'll also post it on Discord since NOBODY HAS HEARD OF SUCH AN IDEA yet!!!

You monster

You're the monster; you'd force people to play Little Mac.

Monster.

EDIT: JIAC DIDN'T DO SHIT WHY ARE YOU CREDITING HIM

EDIT2: #JiacDidNothingWrongAlsoHeLiterallyDidNothing (which btw is a hashtag Refa thought up, unlike you I can give appropriate credit to people tyvm)
Edited by Euklyd

You're the monster; you'd force people to play Little Mac.

Monster.

EDIT: JIAC DIDN'T DO SHIT WHY ARE YOU CREDITING HIM

EDIT2: #JiacDidNothingWrongAlsoHeLiterallyDidNothing (which btw is a hashtag Refa thought up, unlike you I can give appropriate credit to people tyvm)

check mate nerd ;p

YUXVPqk.png

2xDqJ0A.png

/s

Edited by Jiegg

customs tourney more like wind dong-only tourney

reverse main tourney sounds great until you realize half the forest mains marth

An idea I had way back was like 4 themed tourneys with like

Series 1 being the O12 only

Series 2 being the Melee newcomers only

Series 3 being Brawl newcomers only

And series 4 being 4 newcomers only

But I figured no one would really like this.

An idea I had way back was like 4 themed tourneys with like

Series 1 being the O12 only

Series 2 being the Melee newcomers only

Series 3 being Brawl newcomers only

And series 4 being 4 newcomers only

But I figured no one would really like this.

This sounds fine to me.

OR we could do it as an ironman where everyone picks one newcomer from each game, since four tournaments might take too long.

This sounds fine to me.

OR we could do it as an ironman where everyone picks one newcomer from each game, since four tournaments might take too long.

Might be interesting to consider.

How about a Customs on reverse main tournament

I think that might be a tad much haha.

So does anyone have any like stage suggestions? Right now we are using Evo stages, I know some regions use different stages or more stages, was curious.

Castle Seige

Funny story with castle siege, at the local in Spokane I occasionally go to, we had Castle Siege legal for a bit of last year, and I kept using it as my counterpick and I had like a 100% victory record on it.

So naturally everyone started banning it vs me and then it was determined not legal later.

I think that might be a tad much haha.

So does anyone have any like stage suggestions? Right now we are using Evo stages, I know some regions use different stages or more stages, was curious.

Castle siege, Delfino Plaza, and HALBERD.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm reviving this, welcome to the eventual Hub of Smash Ultimate Tournaments on Serenes Forest, 

To make this more official I'd like to somehow operate this as a "wifi local" of sorts, if you're not familar smash locals usually try to do a tourney a month or ever few weeks or each week depending. Also seeding will be reset for the new game until we get results.

I'm still working out the details, but I'd like some input on ideas. I'm getting some from my Discords too. 

Edited by Jedi

• 1 month later...

So for our first 4 ultimate tournaments, I was thinking we could do something like having them past-game themed. 

For instance, the first one would limit the characters to smash 64's cast and legal stages. Same thing for melee, brawl, and 4.

I don't know about rules like stage striking because I think Ultimate's format will make things weird for that.

On 8/8/2018 at 6:44 PM, Right_Here said:

So for our first 4 ultimate tournaments, I was thinking we could do something like having them past-game themed. 

For instance, the first one would limit the characters to smash 64's cast and legal stages. Same thing for melee, brawl, and 4.

I don't know about rules like stage striking because I think Ultimate's format will make things weird for that.

This honestly could be really cool, and I’ll keep it in mind for the first tournament and onward.

Still need to figure out how to make these faster though I’d rather us do like 2 to 3 a month than 1 every 2 months.

• 2 months later...