Fe3 and Fe5: worth playing?

escotanner

I LOVE FE3, tho if you disliked FE11 because of a lack of character development, you won't find any here for minor characters anyway. Marth in Book 1 is handled about as well as his Shadow Dragon counterpart, tho thanks to the cut content in Book 1 it's not as good as Marth's character development in 11. That said, if you only care about gameplay, FE3 book 1 is the best option for the first FE imo.

FE5 is VERY unforgiving, but if you liked FE3, give it a try, since FE5 can best be summed up as FE3 on steroids

FE5 is an amazing game, if you can really get into it.

It's supermodern for its time. It features the most game mechanics besides FE10 and introduces mission objectives like defend or escape.

The major downside is that it can be very frustrating for a first time player in some points since it has some traps.

This game has the most fug of war maps of all game (almost each gaiden is FoW).

Guarantee hit and miss don't exist and get hitting by 1% and missing with 99% happens more than you might expect unfortunately.

Some tactical tricks like "warp skipping" are required to save a lots of trouble and end chapters fast and easily.

I haven't played 3 yet, so I can't argue.

I have great fun with both, Thracia being my second favorite in the series, and think you should try them, but depending on why you disliked Shadow Dragon you may not enjoy FE3 Book 1 (at least). There are people who dislike both remakes but rather enjoy FE3, though, so maybe you'll join that group.

11 is a better version of 3, so you'll hate 3. 5's worth playing but might not appeal to you - only way to know is to try, I'd say, but try and be flexible as you can.

I think the majority of the reason I dislike the remake is because I was playing on a slow emulator.

That's fair; DS emulators have a tendency to run like shit. However, if your main reason is that it was slow, FE3 will not be much better in that regard. Turning off animations might help but FE3 is still a pretty slow game.

FE 3 Book 2 is still worth playing even if you played FE 12 simply because of how different both games are from eachother. The amazing Level design is undermined by how weak the enemies are but it is still it isn't too easy. FE 3 book 1 sucks.

FE 5 is amazing if you enjoy being raped by a Fire Emblem game(if you are playing blind) many of the mechanics are very well-implemented such as Capture and Fatigue and the level design is top notch.

Edited by Valkarian

As you can read (and to each their own) people really like FE5. I couldn't really get into it a lot. I played to the part where you can get Xavier and got bored. It's harder but that's ok. Idk I just wasn't super into it.

I'd recommend playing FE3, but on the other hand, I'd stay as far away from Thracia as humanly possible.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I've not really done much with 3 did the first chapters of book1 and too and then just played 11 and 12 and enjoyed them, But 5, thats a fun place, it depends on if once you realise that you've got to dodge a 38% for a unit not to die but its the only way to get an item, what your policy with save states are, because I recommend the more casual player save-scums the bjeubus out of the RNG. I'm stilll on chapter 10 since I want both staves. Also make sure your emulators are up to date, My DS only really slows down when there's like 10 map sprites on, and then its mostly music. Snes should be near perfect, this is assuming your PC ins't 15 years old never having been upgraded, In which case use an android phone, Thats how I'm playing Thracia!

Thracia is incredibly fun. Fatigue keeps you on your toes and the scrolls help make characters with normally bad growths better. Early game is probably the hardest part, especially if you don't know what you're doing. Manster Arc is the toughest imo because you have little weapon variety and no healer unless you decide to promote Asvel.

As for FE3, I enjoyed that but I can't say I like it more than the remakes.

I enjoyed FE3– I mirror a lot of folks' sentiments that it's different enough from 11 and 12 to be worth trying. FE5 isn't too bad once you know what you're doing, but the learning curve is very rough. I didn't start to get a 'feel' for it until after I beat the game once. All I can suggest is to give it a go and see how you feel about it, but I don't recommend going into it completely blind unless you want to suffer