The 'Think about a new Challenge run' topic

Flee Fleet!

People make all sorts of challenges or speed runs and the like for any game they find. Fire Emblem is no exception. We the obvious challenges, like no stave healing run, and there are others you probably thought about and want to do. So, if you have any challenge run in mind, tell about it here in this thread.

I'll start us off:

No magic attack run: It's common with fire emblem that people will use at least one mage in their entire playthrough. Magic is especially helpful in defeating enemies with high defense. Therefore, not being able to use magic, or use a mage at all, means more difficulty against enemies like generals and various bosses.

No use of vulneraries and elixirs run: sometimes, a healer isn't close enough a unit to heal. Therefore a unit uses a vulnerary to heal theirselves before they die by a sudden attack. With no use of healing items means more difficulty in keeping units alive.

(Elibe/Magvel/FE9 only) - Support Run! Each member must have at least 2 B supports with two other members (A/B is recommended, but not always feasible). The goal is a team with the highest amount of supports with each other. Fight together!

Racism - Everyone must be from the same country (or two countries, if you're Tellius and want more than Tibarn/Ulki/Janaff).

Racism 2 - Everyone must have the same hair (or eye) color. Really fun in Shadow Dragon.

Absolute Reclass (easiest to pull off in the DS games) - As soon as you get someone, they must reclass into something that they have no innate weapon levels in (Wrys into Cavalier, Abel into Curate, etc.). Learn to appreciate Iron weapons!

I've always wondered what an iron only playthrough of FE would be like, where the only usable items are iron weapons, the heal staff, lockpicks (if applicable), and promotional items. Sure, it makes the game a lot simpler, but I think it could be interesting.

I've always wondered what an iron only playthrough of FE would be like, where the only usable items are iron weapons, the heal staff, lockpicks (if applicable), and promotional items. Sure, it makes the game a lot simpler, but I think it could be interesting.

It's not as bad as it sounds! About the only place where you might have to make an exception is the final boss (and I will once again plug Shadow Dragon, because it's VERY possible to hurt the final boss with Iron weapons).

I have a couple ideas

Fates using only bronze/brass weapons because that will limit skill options for units and prevent critical hits.

and one I have tried before Russian Roulette emblem every character that joins you roll a dice must be killed off if you get an odd number main lord not included

Fates: Buy Life and Death on everyone who will be a mainstay. Can probably use a rule like "If a unit is used for 5 chapters, they must get Life and Death" or something. Also, still use units for staffbotting, the game is just more fun with staves.

It takes some grinding in preparation though.

Edited by Gradivus.

Another thing that could be tried is the converse of the no-magic run; that is, magic-only: only tomes may be used to attack from the moment you get a unit that can use them, with the optional exceptions of the game's main Lord(s) and magic weapons (ie Levin Sword, Shockstick, Bolt Axe, etc.). As far as I know the only games where you have a Mage available on every map are Awakening, New Mystery (with a Mage MU) and possibly Genealogy (I don't know about Ch6), so I'd recommend it be done in one of those games - though conserving/repairing that first tome until you get a second will probably be an absolute nightmare...There may need to be some resetting for multiple Magic gains on early first-mage levelups in order to minimise the number of tome uses consumed (at least in Genealogy - for Awakening and New Mystery one could just take as many Magic boosts as possible from customisation).

I came up with my own type of run, but I don't think it qualifies as a challenge unless you play on specific difficulties for every fire emblem game (excluding the kaga games).

As for a "new" challenge run, I don't think that's possible, as for every challenge you can think of, some FE player, somewhere in the world has done it. Anyway, My suggestion for the topic would be.... Single Range Run. Or a more creative name, "One Range Mastery". In other words, only use weapons and staves that have 1 range. This includes no mages without staves. Maybe FE 6 Idun will be tough this way)

Edited by Lord Tullus

Cleric Corrin run in Fates

Flyerless FE3

True Military Campaign run- no resets are allowed, a single game over = failed run, as you just lost the war. All resources available are allowed, but in games with a world map(FE2, FE8, FE13), you can't detour elsewhere to buy new weapons or items, you can only buy what's availible at the last map you played.

FE4 mountless

Bow Emblem Lord and Archers only

Has anyone ever played Tharcia without using any staves? It's something I've sort of wanted to atthempt but the mere thoughts of dealing with Berserk and that one Cyas chapter makes it pretty daunting.

Edited by Jotari

Benchwarmers' Day in the Limelight: Best undertaken in a game like Binding Blade or one of Marth's games, since they have quite a lot of these; you can only use the weird, kinda crappy secondary/tertiary members of each class. To use Shadow Dragon as an example, no Cain or Abel or Frey or Hardin; Matthis, Roshea, and Vyland are your Cavaliers now. Want to use a Knight/General? Learn to love Dolph and Macellan. So on and so forth.

Topaz Light's Average Playthrough: Don't touch the Jagen. At all. For the entire playthrough. Effective immediately. Semi-Jagens like Wendell and Jerrot/Zealot are also banned entirely.

Fatigue was a Good Mechanic (any but Thracia 776): Pretend the Fatigue system was in a Fire Emblem game that isn't Thracia 776. You'll have to keep track of each character's stamina by hand, though.

Pacifist (Thracia 776): Every enemy must be either captured or spared altogether; you can't kill any of them, except in circumstances where it is for whatever reason literally impossible to progress the game without killing a given enemy.

No Mercy (Thracia 776): Every enemy must be killed; you can't capture any of them, for any reason.

Spotlight-Stealing Newcomers (Shadow Dragon & New Mystery): Play through the entire game using only characters who weren't in the original game, starting as early as possible. Marth may also be used.

Social Butterfly's Delight, alternatively-titled Shut-In's Nightmare (Awakening & Fates): Use only other people's Avatars recruited via StreetPass... giving priority to the weaker ones.

Guest Stars of the Show (Awakening & Fates): In Awakening, only Tiki and the legacy characters from SpotPass/DLC may be used. In Fates, only Odin, Selena, Laslow, Caeldori, Rhajat, Asugi, the amiibo characters, and the Cipher DLC characters may be used.

Miscast (Awakening & Fates): Recreate the cast of one (1) other story you like as Avatars, making sure to select their Asset/Boon, Flaw/Bane, and Talent (Fates only) based on what matches their character best and not based on what's most helpful to your team, up to 21 characters (the 21st being your Avatar in the file you actually do the run). Reclass them to the class that fits them best as soon as possible, use them exclusively in that class line, and keep their level as recorded in your Logbook as low as possible. In Awakening, this means reclass them at level 10 using the Renown Award Second Seal (unless you decided they'd be a Tactician/Grandmaster, in which case don't let them see any combat at all before adding them to the Logbook) and don't get them any more level-ups until you've started the run proper. In Fates, this means keep them at... I think level 2 unpromoted is the minimum possible level for Corrin to be by endgame... until you've beaten the game and recorded them in your Logbook. In Awakening, you can construct a three-option reclass set for them and stick to that, if you'd like. Be warned that, in Fates, this might take a really long time to set up. Once it is set up, though, (in whichever game you chose), recreate one last imported character as your Avatar, pluck all the other characters you recreated from your Logbook as soon as possible, (grind for cash using Golden Gaffe/Ghostly Gold if necessary) and you're off!

Revenge of the Bosses (Fates): Get all the capturable bosses in your logbook, plucked from a difficulty of your choice to match how you want to tweak the difficulty of the run, purchase them all as soon as you get to Chapter 7, and use them as your team for the game.

Emblem League Challenge (Fates): Use only captured enemies starting as soon as you can capture enemies. Allow or disallow capturable bosses or previously-captured enemies recruited from your logbook as you please to tweak the run's difficulty.

Our Bonds Are Strong (Fates): Use only Bond Units. Whether you recruit them from your Logbook or make them fresh with other players is up to you.

Heart of the Cards (Fates): As soon as you reach Chapter 7, grind for 80,000 gold and buy all sixteen generic Einherjar characters from other people's Castles. There you go there's your team for the whole game good luck.

Pay to Play (Fates): Every single character must be reclassed to Dread Fighter, Dark Falcon, Witch, Ballistician, Lodestar, Vanguard, Great Lord, or Grandmaster as soon as possible, and any reclassing must remain within that set. Skill manuals from DLC may also be used. If you have access to any out of Anna, Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and the Cipher DLC characters, you have to use them. Bonus points if you do this challenge on non-special edition Revelation or whichever out of Birthright and Conquest you didn't buy as the "base" game.

Smashing! (Fates): Only Corrin and the four amiibo characters may be used.

What Do You Mean This Game Has No Manaketes (Fates): Only Corrin, their child(ren), and Bond Units and guest Avatars in the Nohr Prince/ss class line may be used. All characters must use Dragonstones exclusively.

Edited by Topaz Light

​No Lords for You: Your Lords Must Remain at Base Level or Level 1 Promoted (If Forced Promotion) [This would be quite hard in FE4, FE7, FE8, FE9, FE10 [Micaiah, Elincia and Ike are banned], FE13 and FE14]

I have a couple ideas

Fates using only bronze/brass weapons because that will limit skill options for units and prevent critical hits.

and one I have tried before Russian Roulette emblem every character that joins you roll a dice must be killed off if you get an odd number main lord not included

Russian Roulette sounds fun (the only problem is if all your characters get killed off except your Lords and you want to combine it with No Lords for You)

Benchwarmers' Day in the Limelight: Best undertaken in a game like Binding Blade or one of Marth's games, since they have quite a lot of these; you can only use the weird, kinda crappy secondary/tertiary members of each class. To use Shadow Dragon as an example, no Cain or Abel or Frey or Hardin; Matthis, Roshea, and Vyland are your Cavaliers now. Want to use a Knight/General? Learn to love Dolph and Macellan. So on and so forth.

Topaz Light's Average Playthrough: Don't touch the Jagen. At all. For the entire playthrough. Effective immediately. Semi-Jagens like Wendell and Jerrot/Zealot are also banned entirely.

Fatigue was a Good Mechanic (any but Thracia 776): Pretend the Fatigue system was in a Fire Emblem game that isn't Thracia 776. You'll have to keep track of each character's stamina by hand, though.

Pacifist (Thracia 776): Every enemy must be either captured or spared altogether; you can't kill any of them, except in circumstances where it is for whatever reason literally impossible to progress the game without killing a given enemy.

No Mercy (Thracia 776): Every enemy must be killed; you can't capture any of them, for any reason.

Spotlight-Stealing Newcomers (Shadow Dragon & New Mystery): Play through the entire game using only characters who weren't in the original game, starting as early as possible. Marth may also be used.

Social Butterfly's Delight, alternatively-titled Shut-In's Nightmare (Awakening & Fates): Use only other people's Avatars recruited via StreetPass... giving priority to the weaker ones.

Guest Stars of the Show (Awakening & Fates): In Awakening, only Tiki and the legacy characters from SpotPass/DLC may be used. In Fates, only Odin, Selena, Laslow, Caeldori, Rhajat, Asugi, the amiibo characters, and the Cipher DLC characters may be used.

Miscast (Awakening & Fates): Recreate the cast of one (1) other story you like as Avatars, making sure to select their Asset/Boon, Flaw/Bane, and Talent (Fates only) based on what matches their character best and not based on what's most helpful to your team, up to 21 characters (the 21st being your Avatar in the file you actually do the run). Reclass them to the class that fits them best as soon as possible, use them exclusively in that class line, and keep their level as recorded in your Logbook as low as possible. In Awakening, this means reclass them at level 10 using the Renown Award Second Seal (unless you decided they'd be a Tactician/Grandmaster, in which case don't let them see any combat at all before adding them to the Logbook) and don't get them any more level-ups until you've started the run proper. In Fates, this means keep them at... I think level 2 unpromoted is the minimum possible level for Corrin to be by endgame... until you've beaten the game and recorded them in your Logbook. In Awakening, you can construct a three-option reclass set for them and stick to that, if you'd like. Be warned that, in Fates, this might take a really long time to set up. Once it is set up, though, (in whichever game you chose), recreate one last imported character as your Avatar, pluck all the other characters you recreated from your Logbook as soon as possible, (grind for cash using Golden Gaffe/Ghostly Gold if necessary) and you're off!

Revenge of the Bosses (Fates): Get all the capturable bosses in your logbook, plucked from a difficulty of your choice to match how you want to tweak the difficulty of the run, purchase them all as soon as you get to Chapter 7, and use them as your team for the game.

Emblem League Challenge (Fates): Use only captured enemies starting as soon as you can capture enemies. Allow or disallow capturable bosses or previously-captured enemies recruited from your logbook as you please to tweak the run's difficulty.

Our Bonds Are Strong (Fates): Use only Bond Units. Whether you recruit them from your Logbook or make them fresh with other players is up to you.

Heart of the Cards (Fates): As soon as you reach Chapter 7, grind for 80,000 gold and buy all sixteen generic Einherjar characters from other people's Castles. There you go there's your team for the whole game good luck.

Pay to Play (Fates): Every single character must be reclassed to Dread Fighter, Dark Falcon, Witch, Ballistician, Lodestar, Vanguard, Great Lord, or Grandmaster as soon as possible, and any reclassing must remain within that set. Skill manuals from DLC may also be used.

Smashing! (Fates): Only Corrin and the four amiibo characters may be used.

What Do You Mean This Game Has No Manaketes (Fates): Only Corrin, their child(ren), and Bond Units and guest Avatars in the Nohr Prince/ss class line may be used. All characters must use Dragonstones exclusively.

So, by "Don't Touch the Jagen" does that mean do not move them from their starting position in any map or don't give them even 1 EXP point?

You can move the Jagen, but they can only be used as a villagebot/mini-convoy (or pair-up partner, but not leader, in 3DSFE) during the first few chapters and they have to be benched for the remainder of the game as soon as you gain access to the preparation screen.

You can move the Jagen, but they can only be used as a villagebot/mini-convoy (or pair-up partner, but not leader, in 3DSFE) during the first few chapters and they have to be benched for the remainder of the game as soon as you gain access to the preparation screen.

So basically they can't attack, you can use them to grab a village, hold some items (but not weapons they can use) to pair up with another unit in Awakening or Fates

What about rescuing in the GBA and Tellius FEs?

A type of runs I've always liked are no resets (ironman) and Affinity runs, where you can only use characters with the same affinity as your FE7 given affinity, of course this one only works with Elibe, Magvel and Tellius.

Only in emergencies to keep a unit from dying; Rescue-dropping is only allowed from behind the lines to get someone caught up to the main group.

Oh, so I can use the Marcus to save a unit by rescuing them or to have them get to the front (I normally don't use the Jagen anyway, the exception being Seth) also, does Percival count as a Jagen (same question with Isadora)?

A type of runs I've always liked are no resets (ironman) and Affinity runs, where you can only use characters with the same affinity as your FE7 given affinity, of course this one only works with Elibe, Magvel and Tellius.

That would be cool

Jagens are specifically the archetype of an older mentor-figure prepromote—usually promoted from Cavalier, but not always—who joins the party very early on, if not from the get-go. Then there's also... not really an archetype but a much smaller subset of semi-Jagen characters like Wendell and Jerrot/Zealot, who are prepromotes who join pretty early in the game, but a little ways after the start. Not all prepromotes are Jagens, though, and it has nothing to do with class, since Eyvel (a Swordmaster) and Sothe (a Rogue) are Jagens, too. (Although Sothe is kind of interesting for being something of an inversion of the story/character side of the Jagen archetype.) I'd say any prepromote recruited in midgame or later no longer counts as a Jagen of any description.

Edited by Topaz Light

^Do characters of the Oiyfe archetype be considered Jagens as well, since they are only slightly better than Jagens?

Also:

Very Unconvincing: There are characters who are enemies at first, but can be recruited to your side, most likely by talking to a certain character. This is the challenge of NOT recruiting any such characters, even if they are possibly the best units in a Fire Emblem game. It's not much of a challenge, but you would be losing some really good units.

No Lockpicks: Treasure chests, and locked doors can only be unlocked through keys or unlock staves. Using a thief for such a work is not allowed, unless you are forced to do so(in case of doors mainly).

The Lord is too special: The Lord can only be used to seize the throne. They can move, and save villages or buy something from the armory and shops, but they must not even get 1 EXP.

Jagens are specifically the archetype of an older mentor-figure prepromote—usually promoted from Cavalier, but not always—who joins the party very early on, if not from the get-go. Then there's also... not really an archetype but a much smaller subset of semi-Jagen characters like Wendell and Jerrot/Zealot, who are prepromotes who join pretty early in the game, but a little ways after the start. Not all prepromotes are Jagens, though, and it has nothing to do with class, since Eyvel (a Swordmaster) and Sothe (a Rogue) are Jagens, too. (Although Sothe is kind of interesting for being something of an inversion of the story/character side of the Jagen archetype.) I'd say any prepromote recruited in midgame or later no longer counts as a Jagen of any description.

So in FE6, anything after Misty Isles or in FE7 anything after Dragon's Gate

^Do characters of the Oiyfe archetype be considered Jagens as well, since they are only slightly better than Jagens?

Also:

Very Unconvincing: There are characters who are enemies at first, but can be recruited to your side, most likely by talking to a certain character. This is the challenge of NOT recruiting any such characters, even if they are possibly the best units in a Fire Emblem game. It's not much of a challenge, but you would be losing some really good units.

No Lockpicks: Treasure chests, and locked doors can only be unlocked through keys or unlock staves. Using a thief for such a work is not allowed, unless you are forced to do so(in case of doors mainly).

The Lord is too special: The Lord can only be used to seize the throne. They can move, and save villages or buy something from the armory and shops, but they must not even get 1 EXP.

Yes, characters like FE7 Marcus, Seth, Titania and Frederick do count

Very Unconvincing: What about characters like Nino where you recruit her as a green units?

The Lord is too special: So, basically my No Lords for You

^Yeah, even green units.

And I just now remembered The No Lords For You challenge, to which I will make an opposite challenge:

'I can do it myself!': Can the Lord fight for theirself, with no help? With no healers? With no Magic? Maybe. In this challenge, only the Lord shall be moved and used for the entire game. Once the preparation screen comes by, only the Lord is to be selected. While it won't make much difference in games like Fire Emblem 4, it would most likely be difficult in games like Fire Emblem 6. All three Lords can be used in Fire Emblem 7.

^Yeah, even green units.

And I just now remembered The No Lords For You challenge, to which I will make an opposite challenge:

'I can do it myself!': Can the Lord fight for theirself, with no help? With no healers? With no Magic? Maybe. In this challenge, only the Lord shall be moved and used for the entire game. Once the preparation screen comes by, only the Lord is to be selected. While it won't make much difference in games like Fire Emblem 4, it would most likely be difficult in games like Fire Emblem 6. All three Lords can be used in Fire Emblem 7.

So, in FE8, I can use both Ephraim and Eirika (although, Ephraim would be soloing Unbroken Heart)

Or Chrom and Lucina in Awakening

Edited by Weeping__Dalek

Do characters of the Oifey archetype be considered Jagens as well, since they are only slightly better than Jagens?

Any early-game prepromote counts as a "Jagen" for the purposes of the challenge.

Speaking more broadly, Oifeys are a "subspecies" of Jagens. They're their own sub-archetype, but they also all fall under the Jagen archetype, too.

Edited by Topaz Light

So, in FE8, I can use both Ephraim and Eirika (although, Ephraim would be soloing Unbroken Heart)

Or Chrom and Lucina in Awakening

Yup. Any character that is a Lord can be used, even if there's more than one.