Carcino's Civil War (Chapters 1-4 completed, download available!)

Pwntagonist

DOWNLOAD

What is Carcino's Civil War?

Carcino's Civil War is a FE7 ROM hack that takes inspiration from Fire Emblem 8: The Sacred Stones. It takes place in Carcino, the growing mercantilist country, 3 years prior to the events of FE8. You will follow Gerik's mercenary crew as he quickly becomes involved in a plot of deception, politics, and manipulation.

This hack is fully custom outside of borrowing some portraits and characters from FE8. New maps, new story, and new characters await you!

Spoiler

KebEdTd.png20X8UWC.pngptdjI0t.pngadeBfPP.pngHq7P9wI.pnghF2GE8J.pngOII9uvT.png

FAQ

Q: Why are Joro's growths so good?

A: Play Chapter 2.

Q: What is X song?

A: Read the README.

Q: [insert question about inconsistency with FE8's story]

A: If there is a major inconsistency I'll look into it, but lining up the story with FE8's perfectly isn't particularly important to me. This is more of a fanfiction based loosely off of FE8's setting.

Other Information:

Carcino's Civil War is fully planned out, script-wise. The hack is planned to have eight chapters total.

If you'd like to support this project, PM me. I especially struggle with writing, as it's not really my forte.

I'm open to questions and criticisms!

Edited by Pwntagonist

Woops, I totally forgot to post my thoughts after I played this. I did get to see CH3 too. Looks like it'll be good! Now that I got a refresher from FEE3...

So yeah, I had pretty much the same impression as Melissa so not sure how helpful it'll be. At least I can say I enjoyed it anyways!

Digging the maps, CH3 map too. Definitely like that we get to play as Gerik and Marissa too.The ship battle was nice, although I didn't realize all the characters could travel on the water so I ended up only using the pirate on the boss. I kinda feel stupid now lol. I definitely like the boltish tomb too, which I actually thought was pretty balanced, considering it's got a lot of uses but isn't too OP. Definitely handy for wyverns.

I do remember the cavaliers reinforcements in CH2, but I didn't get to fight a sick general =[. I don't know if you just added that for this patch, or I just missed her, but definitly made things more interesting. Seeing Melissa panic a bit was pretty funny lol.

I also agree with Melissa that the stats and growth rates might need a bit of polishing, for the characters we do keep anyways. (mine seemed a bit different though, I definitely don't remember my Gerik being that buff...) Which is to be expected for a new hack. Not like they have to be consistant with the FE8 stats, but they should probably be at least a little closer for both balance and some consistancy.

Some of the portraits are a lil rough around the edges as well. Again new hack, plenty of time to polish things up, but it's off to a good start. Hope to see more!

Edited by urug99

Thanks for playing!

Digging the maps, CH3 map too. Definitely like that we get to play as Gerik and Marissa too.The ship battle was nice, although I didn't realize all the characters could travel on the water so I ended up only using the pirate on the boss. I kinda feel stupid now lol. I definitely like the boltish tomb too, which I actually thought was pretty balanced, considering it's got a lot of uses but isn't too OP. Definitely handy for wyverns.

To be honest, I'm not all that fond of Chapter 1. The concept of battling ship2ship sounds cool in theory and I don't think many hacks have attempted it, but the way I threatened the helmsman with Wyverns made players want to go back to protect him, when I really wanted them to go forward and attack the enemy helmsman instead. I've recently made some big changes to the reinforcement pattern in Chapter 1 to simplify it, so hopefully the chapter is a bit more bearable in the next version.

I do remember the cavaliers reinforcements in CH2, but I didn't get to fight a sick general =[. I don't know if you just added that for this patch, or I just missed her, but definitly made things more interesting. Seeing Melissa panic a bit was pretty funny lol.

Yep, the general should be there. She just spawns pretty late. She's the hard time limit, essentially. Don't want players grinding forever.

I also agree with Melissa that the stats and growth rates might need a bit of polishing, for the characters we do keep anyways. (mine seemed a bit different though, I definitely don't remember my Gerik being that buff...) Which is to be expected for a new hack. Not like they have to be consistant with the FE8 stats, but they should probably be at least a little closer for both balance and some consistancy.

Frankly, I'm not all that concerned about consistency. As you'll notice from the YouTube comments, people have already found a pretty major plothole.

As for balance, I think it already is fairly balanced between Marisa and Gerik. Marisa hits a lot harder but is more fragile, while it's the opposite for Gerik. I think Marisa would be pretty much obsolete if I used her FE8 stats, as Gerik would just be blatantly better than her in every way. What specifically did you think seemed imbalanced about their stats?

Some of the portraits are a lil rough around the edges as well. Again new hack, plenty of time to polish things up, but it's off to a good start. Hope to see more!

The portraits are all either from Coby (The Goober) or NICKT collection. I was on a bit of a time crunch so I think Coby may not have been completely satisfied with them. Regardless, I'm very thankful for his hard work, because it makes my hack actually look presentable.

Edited by Pwntagonist

Should have been a bit more specific with the portraits. It's actually the smaller versions of the portraits when you scroll over the character, not sure what you guys call them, but they are the crappier versions of the portraits that pretty much have lines for eyes. I can post a image if you dont know what I mean. If you scroll over Jono and the helmsman(forgot his name) they looked ridiculously happy with big mouths and Hayes also looks happy, and his eyes are really crooked. Marissa is a good comparison for the eyes, since her eyes are crooked too(because of the angle), but hers looks right.

And as far as balance...after looking at my stats and Melissa's stats, I think the issue is STR. The rest seem fine.

Gerik is a tough badass, so he should have high STR / DEF and lower SPD. He gets a AS advantage from his high CON so keep that in mind too. He's able to use heavier blades with ease and can take damage. He should have strong attacks, but can only double slow opponents. Also lower hit rate than Marissa.

Marissa is small(fragile too) and fast, but deadly. Her STR / DEF should be lower, but also awesome SPD and SKL. Her defense would be her evasion. Her damage should come from her ability to double everyone and her higher crit rate. She also has Wo Doa, with very high crit and the same damage as a steel sword, but low WT so it doesn't affect her AS.

My stats were almost identical to Melissa, except my Gerik's SPD and STR was 2 points less. So most of the time Melissa is doing exactly 2x more damage(almost 2.5x in my case), and higher crit / accuracy. I think she should do about 3/4 the damage of Gerik, so she would do 1.5x him on double. Just my thoughts anyways.

Edited by urug99

Should have been a bit more specific with the portraits. It's actually the smaller versions of the portraits when you scroll over the character, not sure what you guys call them, but they are the crappier versions of the portraits that pretty much have lines for eyes. I can post a image if you dont know what I mean. If you scroll over Jono and the helmsman(forgot his name) they looked ridiculously happy with big mouths and Hayes also looks happy, and his eyes are really crooked. Marissa is a good comparison for the eyes, since her eyes are crooked too(because of the angle), but hers looks right.

And as far as balance...after looking at my stats and Melissa's stats, I think the issue is STR. The rest seem fine.

Gerik is a tough badass, so he should have high STR / DEF and lower SPD. He gets a AS advantage from his high CON so keep that in mind too. He's able to use heavier blades with ease and can take damage. He should have strong attacks, but can only double slow opponents. Also lower hit rate than Marissa.

Marissa is small(fragile too) and fast, but deadly. Her STR / DEF should be lower, but also awesome SPD and SKL. Her defense would be her evasion. Her damage should come from her ability to double everyone and her higher crit rate. She also has Wo Doa, with very high crit and the same damage as a steel sword, but low WT so it doesn't affect her AS.

My stats were almost identical to Melissa, except my Gerik's SPD and STR was 2 points less. So most of the time Melissa is doing exactly 2x more damage(almost 2.5x in my case), and higher crit / accuracy. I think she should do about 3/4 the damage of Gerik, so she would do 1.5x him on double. Just my thoughts anyways.

Probably not going to change this. I like the dynamic Marisa and Gerik have as the fragile/strong unit vs. the durable/weaker unit. I agree that it doesn't fit thematically (Gerik is friggin huge), but like I said before, gameplay balance comes before consistency. And as far as I can tell, they both contribute pretty equally in Chapter 2, so I see no reason to change them.

You're talking about the chibi/mini portraits right? Yeah, they look a little silly.

Edited by Pwntagonist

Update:

I said updates would be slow, but I made the most of my Fall Break and got Chapter 3 done! Not gonna release it until Chapter 4 is done as well though. Which... may take a while. It's a doozy.

Edited by Pwntagonist

Quick Update

Chapter 3 and 4 have been done for about 2 months now, but I've just been a little hesitant to release them (waiting on some playtesting to be done). I've also been using my free time working on my Make A Fun Chapter project. But don't worry, if you were looking forward to this hack's completion, it's well on its way!

Quick Update

Chapter 3 and 4 have been done for about 2 months now, but I've just been a little hesitant to release them (waiting on some playtesting to be done). I've also been using my free time working on my Make A Fun Chapter project. But don't worry, if you were looking forward to this hack's completion, it's well on its way!

• 1 month later...

Carcino's Civil War, Chapters 1-4 are complete!

DOWNLOAD

Notes:

1. You cannot use your save file from the old demo.

2. Chapter 1's gameplay has been changed significantly. It's not as overwhelming anymore.

3. The story in Chapters 1 and 2 has changed slightly.

Enjoy! The FAQ from the original post still applies, but I'm happy to answer any new questions.

• 2 weeks later...

New chapters were a fun ride lol. Seems like you did some polishing of the first 2 chapters too, and I think it came together nicely. Did you alter the characters stats/growths? They seemed much more balanced than before too. Story is enjoyable, characters were well balanced, difficulty is nice. I really enjoyed the difficulty. Considering the situation, it really gives off a perfect amount of pressure. Looks like you fixed the chibis too, but Joro's chibi still has the biggest grin I've ever seen ha.

Now the only real criticism I have, was the final bit of dialog seemed rushed, especially comparing it to the quality of the previous chapters. Also, I think the rewards from chapter 3 could use some more balance. I like the top tier reward, main issue is it's only reward that won't carry over to the next chapters, where as the other rewards will provide benefits throughout the rest of the game. I think the best option would be to have all rewards be items/equipment with limited uses, but that's just my opinion. Seriously nice job tho, I have almost no criticism and that's impressive for only a second release. Looking forward to next release!

19 hours ago, urug99 said:

New chapters were a fun ride lol. Seems like you did some polishing of the first 2 chapters too, and I think it came together nicely. Did you alter the characters stats/growths? They seemed much more balanced than before too. Story is enjoyable, characters were well balanced, difficulty is nice. I really enjoyed the difficulty. Considering the situation, it really gives off a perfect amount of pressure. Looks like you fixed the chibis too, but Joro's chibi still has the biggest grin I've ever seen ha.

Now the only real criticism I have, was the final bit of dialog seemed rushed, especially comparing it to the quality of the previous chapters. Also, I think the rewards from chapter 3 could use some more balance. I like the top tier reward, main issue is it's only reward that won't carry over to the next chapters, where as the other rewards will provide benefits throughout the rest of the game. I think the best option would be to have all rewards be items/equipment with limited uses, but that's just my opinion. Seriously nice job tho, I have almost no criticism and that's impressive for only a second release. Looking forward to next release!

Thanks so much for the compliments, it means a lot to me.

I did some tinkering with the stats, specifically with Gerik's strength. I think everything is about where I want it to be now in terms of balancing. And yeah, I polished up the first two chapters, especially Chapter 1. I scrapped a lot of the older design and decided to go for simple and straightforward.

My stance on the writing is this: I recognize it's not the best and I want to improve it to improve the overall quality of the hack, but I also want to make more cool levels, something I enjoy doing much more. For now, the writing is passable, so I'm going to put it on the backburner.

As for the rewards thing, I don't want to spoil too much, but:

Spoiler

When you get Gerik back next, you'll be restocked on items so in the long run I think it won't make much of a difference.

2 hours ago, Pwntagonist said:

but I also want to make more cool levels, something I enjoy doing much more. For now, the writing is passable, so I'm going to put it on the backburner.

Yeah, I mean that's probably the best way to accomplish things anyways. Keep progressing and go back and scrub/polish up later.

As far as the rewards go, you could always just include one of the permanant items with the other top tier rewards too. That way you get the really useful chapter items, plus one of the permanent item that would carry over. There really is no bad options, so not like it really matters. It's a neat concept too, having to weigh the benefits of having an extra team memeber for the chapter vs the items.