Updating the name graphics in FE12's Guide

dee-ee

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to update the FE12 translation patch with the names supplied in Awakening. I've made good progress, but I've hit a roadblock involving this part of the Guide screen:

GsHBiiw.png

The name "Roro" is baked into an image file, so I can't change it without modifying the graphics, which I've never done before. I have two questions related to this:

1. Where do these name graphics reside in the ROM? I see a lot of promising things in the dic/ directory, but this leads to my second question...
  2. What resources do I need to read/modify FEDS image files? I looked in the Resources subforum for help here, but I couldn't find anything that would let me view graphics in a friendly format, let alone edit them.

Sorry if this question is somewhat noob-ish, but it's hard to find many resources about FEDS hacking at all online.

Ok, I figured out my second question for the most part. Looking at this documentation: http://www.romhacking.net/documents/%5B469%5Dnds_formats.htm#Custom

It appears "cg" files in FEDS are just NCGR files with basically all of the non-data information stripped out, and "cl" files are similarly-stripped NCLR files. There might be a bit more to it than this, but I managed to reproduce Caeda's intro CG from FE11 with just this knowledge, so I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track. I'm also guessing that "sc" files are stripped NSCR files, but I didn't need to use one to generate the CG.

I also played around with an OAM viewer to understand the structure of the name sprites. It looks like each name is comprised of two 32x16 graphics, as shown below

YgBTS8H.png:

From this, I've tried to locate these graphics in the ROM to modify them, but I still haven't been able to locate them. I've also noticed quite a few "pkcg" files in the game (for example, "name_assassin.pkcg"), but I'm not sure how to parse them. There never seems to be an associated "cl" with them, which makes me think the palette is being bundled in the file somehow. However, when I inspect the decompressed file in a hex editor, I don't see anything that looks like the data I'm used to seeing for palettes.

To sum it up, if anyone has information on the structure of "pkcg" files, that would be fantastic. From there, I should be able to hunt down the graphic I'm interested in myself.