>Nintendo in 2016

Knife

In 2016, the only Nintendo game I bought so far is Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice. While they were fun, they didn't really stand out to me. 2015 was similar, but at least the novelty of Smash 4 carried well into it (and still does in 2016). Pokemon is a given and honestly might salvage the year. Otherwise, anyone feel like they're outgrowing Nintendo or is Nintendo just going backwards with all these gimmicks and low difficulty games? Is Nintendo getting old? Are you optimistic, pessimistic, or somewhere in the middle (ew neutral opinions)?

Or your tastes are changing.

Nintendo has done the same every year since 1987.

Did you get Bayonetta 2? Or Splatoon, or Pokken, or the many Mario games, etc etc?

In my experience, people that claim "X changed since I'm not as invested now" usually have the wrong perception. They changed, so they are not as invested now.

I am currently enjoying the white-knuckle intensity of the "Neo Future Pack" in Fast Racing Neo.

So, my Nintendo 2016 is going pretty well. As for My Nintendo 2016... eh.

They haven't released many interesting titles this year since the NX is launching soon, but indies will pick up the slack.

I don't know I feel like there are fewer games this year that I want play across all platforms not just Nintendo, but I feel like they are delaying as many games as possible until the NX comes out. I won't be buying a NX until there are at least 5 games I want on it and I will get the Wii U version of the new Zelda as the last game I will buy for it. I do feel like Nintendo is not doing that well right now and I really hope that they will wow me with NX. Like I already said before I think part of their problem this year is that they are at the end of the life cycle of both the 3DS and the Wii U and they are not going to be making new games for them.

I share the same feelings as there were really not that many games that I felt were very good (with exceptions of course).

Nintendo may have been not on their top game due to the NX.

Also all I need is Smash,Pokemon,Pokken and Fire Emblem

Edited by Valiant

Well, I will admit that I've felt lacking in Mario and Zelda lately (Zelda: Breath of the Wild got delayed to 2017 and there hasn't been a real major Mario title this year), but Paper Mario: Color Splash is out tomorrow, which I'll be getting, and Pokemon is not far behind.

I also got Fates, the Pokemon and Disney Art Academy games, and Pokken Tournament (hardly played this though. I just lost interest), so this year's been decent. Not the best, but decent. I'm not growing out of Nintendo anytime soon. :P

i saw the title and was about to make a LUL joke but apparently this isn't fftf

personally i think nintendo is trying to figure out its direction; i don't think it's actually changed at all (i've just grown up) but it does seem like the rate of first-party IPs is slowing down drastically

I think it has more to do with the Wii U just not having that many games and the ones it have are a pretty big time apart most of the time.

2014 was the only year the WII U could have been said to really be on fire with great game after great game coming out the whole year. Every other year of its existence there have been frequent game droughts and the 3ds is showing its age a bit.

I don't see this trend changing very quickly. Maybe the NX will catch on which would have 3rd parties fill the space between the Nintendo game but I doubt it. I suspect the NX will flop harder then the WII U. People will probably be a bit wary about investing in a Nintendo console again.

Creatively Nintendo might be in a bit of a slump when it comes to their games. Mario is a nice example of this. The series has been cracking down hard on its grass to fire world routine and most of whats released strikes me as filler content.

anyone feel like they're outgrowing Nintendo or is Nintendo just going backwards with all these gimmicks and low difficulty games? Is Nintendo getting old? Are you optimistic, pessimistic, or somewhere in the middle (ew neutral opinions)?

To answer your first two questions, no, I don't feel like any of the options you've given relate to how I feel. I'm cautious about Nintendo right now, because I feel their success in the home console market is riding heavily on the NX. But how they're handling NX information right now is, uh, questionable, to say the least. I do not question their viability in the portable console market, as that is where Nintendo is most comfortable at.

Nintendo suit me fine right now; their IPs catered/is going to cater to me well this year, and I have no doubt they're going to do so in the future. If I want to play a game that has responsive and satisfying gameplay, that's the company I go to.

Edited by DodgeDusk

Well, NoA took practically half the load of DQVII's translation according to Noriyoshi Fujimoto (a producer of the game) so I'm honestly satisfied with what they've done regardless of everything else.

DQVII being one of my favorite games, it's nice to have a proofread translation.

Going back through my games, it mostly seems like Console Nintendo is suffering while 3DS is still going strong, despite mine being somewhat broken.

[spoiler=Game Library]

NES: Probably 20+ games. mostly hand-me-downs. I never really got to playing or beating most of them since I enjoyed the newer stuff more.

SNES: A couple games, I think I picked up the SNES when N64 was coming out, and I was more of an N64 kid. The only memorable games off the top of my head are Donkey Kong Country 2 and Killer Instinct.

N64: Likely more than 20 games. Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Ogre Battle 64 (my favorite game of all time), Donkey Kong 64, 007: Goldeneye, Perfect Dark... (Granted, I picked up Perfect Dark many years later, but still.)

Gamecube: I have 25 GC games. I got lots of Mario (Mario Party, since I used to collect them, not anymore since 8 and especially those "things" they call 9 and beyond), Pikmin, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, X-Men Legends... There's so many good games, and I hear there are still some excellent GC games that I missed too!

Wii: I got like 12 games. Some of them are military shooters, which I can't really care much for, but I picked up some classics such as Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Brawl, and Xenoblade Chronicles. I missed out on the Mario Kart of this generation. However, I did delve into the Wii Shop Channel, so there are those retro and indie games. Fluidity is a highlight of one such game. Also, I liked Operation Rainfall back when it was doing its campaign and have yet to pick up The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. I still follow them today as my video game news site.

Wii U: I have 10 real games: Warriors Orochi 3, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Smash Brothers 4, Mario Kart 8, Nintendo Land, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Hyrule Warriors. I got Pikmin 3 digitally and also have the Wonderful 101. I either get really invested into the games or I don't. I know I want to spend more time with Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, and Super Mario Maker, but there are other games that hold my attention. Splatoon I had a decent run, but could probably play more Splatoon as well. // At some point I wanted to try and pick up Bayonetta 1&2, but after playing the Wonderful 101 I wasn't sure if the gameplay was really my style...

Game Boy: Never had one, although I had a friend who did.

Game Boy Advance: I got like 10 or so. I have two Kirby Games, two Fire Emblem games, two Advance Wars games, Super Mario World...

DS: I think I have about 11. Several Mario Games (Mario Party DS is amazing and a call back to the older games in my opinion), three Final Fantasy games, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, and the underrated Clubhouse Games (Essentially, real life board and card games. It's an essential for me since it never really gets old.)

3DS: Five physical games. I got Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, Samurai Warriors: Chronicles, FE Awakening, Kid Icarus, and Dead or Alive: Dimensions. // However, if we go digital, I got a lot more, such as Bravely Default, Monster Hunter, FE Fates, Project X Zone, Shovel Knight, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Crimson Shroud, and more... Sure, they may not all be triple A titles, but these games are good! I also got a couple more games lined up on my wishlist, but since my 3DS is in less than stellar condition (I had it since launch, the L&R buttons are broken and won't work and the C-Pad's grip fell off), I am avoiding investing much into my 3DS until I can get a new one. Also missed out on Mario Kart 7.

I never really got into Pokemon (save for when I was really young, I liked the show and picked up some spinoffs like Pokemon Snap and Hey You! Pikachu!), so that franchise is mostly irrelevant to me.

I got into Legend of Zelda late, but while I enjoy it, the games really don't hold my attention unlike other titles. I have Majora's Mask on Virtual Console and still need to get back to it eventually, and I want to try out Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess at some point.

Same thing with the Metroid series. I know a friend who was really into the Prime games, but I myself never bothered with Metriod. I think the only game I own is Fusion because of the Ambassador Program for 3DS (buying the 3DS when it first launched, before they reduced the price.)

There are some franchises I do want to get into, such as Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, and the Mario and Luigi RPGs, as well as some classics such as Ghost Trick and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, perhaps I should even pick up the original 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors for DS because of that one mechanic that will make one cry once one figures out the symbolism (although there's a remake or an updated port coming to PC at some point, so I may get that instead). I still consider myself a Nintendo man, even though my Nintendo library is getting smaller through the years.

* * * * * Personal Tastes * * * * *

A part of the reason is that my tastes are shifting to PC. While I did play PC games when I was little, more and more I am discovering games on PC that I enjoy, and for some reason I believe that playing console games disturbs other people in the household (the big ones are in the living room), so I don't play console as much as I used to.

Also, PC games tend to be cheaper and have free to play games, which is good for someone who wants to save money. I'll still go to Nintendo when they release a game that is relevant to my interests (3D Mario, Mario RPGs, Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, etc.) but if I can pick up a game on PC, I rather get the PC version.

That, and Playstation is looking somewhat interesting since it receives lots of Japanese titles. While I don't own a Playstation and thought myself an Xbox person, Playstation seems to have more JRPGs and the like, so if I ever have control of time and could play everything, I may pick up a Playstation to mess around with as well.

* * * * * Nintendo Wishlist * * * * *

Back to the topic at hand (long post is long, I know), Nintendo is releasing games I don't really care much for. I want a classic Paper Mario game instead of what happened with Sticker Star and Color Splash (Super Paper Mario was good for its story and setting, so I'll look past that one). I want Advance Wars, which has been dead since like 2008. I want a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles X that has more story (Does H.B. take over BLADE? What happens to Elma? Where will my bad*** rookie factor in? Can there be a save transfer? Can Dual Guns not be broken and "required" because of Ghost Walk?). Maybe even Hyrule Warriors 2 would be cool to see. I want to see a new 3D Mario game, be it in the style of Galaxy or Mario 64 (heck, even following the 64 DS version with multiple characters could be awesome!). I would ask for a Fire Emblem, but I'm still burned out on Fates, unless they end up releasing something super amazing with a jaw-dropping story and graphics.

* * * * * Ending Stuff * * * * *

I'm still a believer in Nintendo, even though they make questionable decisions. (See the milking of the "New Super Mario Brothers", all those 2D games back in the day... // Nintendo and Youtube // recent controversies such as Paper Mario Color Splash and Federation Force, Localisation & Censorship, etc.)

They seem to be doing well that Pokemon Go thing, which seems to be a worldwide phenomenon. Nintendo makes plenty of mistakes, but they also still strive for innovation and occasionally hit a gold mine. I guess we are just waiting to see if the Nintendo NX will be a hit or miss scenario, because right now there does not seem to be much for Nintendo news.

I seriously need to stop writing walls of text when I reply to things...

Only the Wii U has suffered a lot recently in terms of home consoles, actually. The Wii was one of the most successful consoles of all time. The Wii U could've been successful, but the marketing wasn't good enough and then it didn't get the third party support it needed.

I think the NX can do much better if Nintendo learns from their mistake here, especially if it's going to be a hybrid and succeed both the Wii U AND the 3DS.

That being said, the Wii U still has some amazing games, imo, like Yoshi's Woolly World, Super Mario 3D World, Smash Wii U, Captain Toad, and Hyrule Warriors. Zelda: TP HD is nice too.

Edited by Anacybele

As far as Nintendo IPs go, Tokyo Mirage Sessions was easily the best game released this year. We also got FE Fates, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, and we're getting Paper Mario and Pokemon. Honorable mention to Style Savvy Trendsetters, which I haven't played but heard good things about and I might eventually get.

2016 was easily one of Nintendo's weakest years, but I fault that to Wii U bombing and Nintendo likely moving most development to NX. Wii U gave us some fantastic games (including one of my all-time favorites in Splatoon), but there's very little reason to keep supporting it anymore. Better start strong on the next system.

Well, NoA took practically half the load of DQVII's translation according to Noriyoshi Fujimoto (a producer of the game) so I'm honestly satisfied with what they've done regardless of everything else.

DQVII being one of my favorite games, it's nice to have a proofread translation.

Nintendo always have done lot for DQ in general. I think they were also really invested for the DS title back then, and that may ends up being the same for DQXI.

Nintendo is mostly Pokémon and FE (or whatever IntSys is working on. Avance Wars was great as well.) for me.

As console developper, they are the only one to stands out. There's no real difference between Microsift and Sony, except a few game here and there. (not mentionning buying a Xbox if you have a good gaming computer is senseless.) As bad as the Wii U ended up being, they tried to be innovative and different. (Main reason why people are so curious about the NX.)

As game developper, their talent is well known as well. I have an actually similar view about them than about Level 5 : I'll always keep an eye on what they are doing, even iif I don't plan to play through them myself.

​I always find myself more lenient towards them.

Yeah I think this is more symptomatic of them focusing on developing for the NX and leaving the Wii U. 3DS continues to be actively supported and quite frankly probably will for quite some time but until NX comes out I wouldn't expect to much from Nintendo right now at least as far as heavy hitters and major IPs go. I actually quite frankly just haven't had as much time for games in general with working and all now so it could be that as well.

The Wii U died Friday with the last console exclusive getting released for it.

The only games I bought in 2016 for my Wii U and 3DS were Ace Attorney, Pokken Tournament and Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut. I do have a couple more on my list by the end of the year (Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero, Severed, Jotun and Rhythm Heaven Megamix).

Thankfully the Virtual Console is sustaining my Wii U haha.

Nintendo is still one of my favorite developers, but they have done quite a number of questionable things in recent years (I don't agree with everything in this video but its topical)

2016 feels so goddamn long that I forgot Fates even came out this year. And I saw someone mention Rhythm Heaven Megamix and while I did buy it ((I'm obsessed with RH not sorry)) I found it more to be a compilation game than something fresh. I just hope it means that the Rhythm Heaven series has a future with more new rhythm games.

Nintendo is still one of my favorite developers, but they have done quite a number of questionable things in recent years (I don't agree with everything in this video but its topical)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5-nfsEA0Wc

Ah, The Gaming Brit. Such brutal honesty. Such - hey, is that Star Successor footage? Someone has good taste.

What do you disagree with? It all seems agreeable to me.

Ah, The Gaming Brit. Such brutal honesty. Such - hey, is that Star Successor footage? Someone has good taste.

What do you disagree with? It all seems agreeable to me.

I disagree with his opinions on 3D World and a few minor things haha.

Nintendo was getting dust in their franchises,but has been trying to make something different. I don't have money to buy a Wii U or a 3DS,but from what I have seen I will state my opinions

Wii U

Yoshi's Wooly World- Along Super Mario Maker it was the only Super title at the end

Smash 4- Failed to live as the others, ridiculously high DLC prices,No Story Mode. That's enough

Super Mario 3D World- Good game,but Galaxy is probably better even with the absence of a multiplayer

The remasters looks like great additions

Pokkén Tournament- The hype was real,but it didn't come what was expected. 5 of 10

Xenoblade Chronicles X- This one is a game that I would love playing,but the reviews were too mixed,so I'm in doubt

3DS

FE Fates and Awakening- Looks fine,but these growths are ridiculous(Casual)

Ace Attorney Legacy- I need to play those games

Kirby Legacy- They're really fun

These are the only games that caught my attention at some point(that I remember now). Nintendo isn't at it's best,but they aren't dead