FE9 tips?

Train Mist. Near the end of the game, Ike has to fight a boss alone for a few turns (Mist can't hurt him) and winning gets a better reward for obvious reasons, and training Mist lets him not spend a turn on an elixir or get distracted by the reinforcements.

You can save scum BEXP level ups. Because of this, it's a good idea to Rig good Ike levels to ensure he caps stats like Str, Spd, and Def.

Sothe can't promote for some odd reason, while Volke can. There's no real explanation for this balance issue's existence.

During a chapter in the desert, you have to move one of Lethe or Mordecai to a specific northwestern tile (that has nothing notable to set it apart whatsoever) to recruit a unit. He brings some valuable stuff, so yeah.

Forges are broken.

Two of the units you have early on will leave after a plot event. You can get them back, but it'll take some doing, especially for the second one you run into.

Avoid the house nearest your starting point in chapter 11. An extremely powerful enemy will come out of it later on. Said chapter also has a unit you must not kill to be able to recruit later. You also need one of the laguz units you'll have to recruit the other (btw, the Unit option on the menu has a page that shows who can talk to whom).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Ike is the only character whose stats really matter, there are two bossfights that are basically 1vs1 (although you can heal Ike). If you're playing on normal difficulty, this is less true, but on hard, you absolutely need a strong Ike towards the endgame. So make sure he doesn't fall behind in levels or gets RNG screwed.

Ike has a story promotion after chapter 17, though. He doesn't really need any special attention to reach lv.20 until then.

During a chapter in the desert, you have to move one of Lethe or Mordecai to a specific northwestern tile (that has nothing notable to set it apart whatsoever) to recruit a unit. He brings some valuable stuff, so yeah.

I'd actually recommend checking the map on SF. Even without the recruitable unit, there are a few nice items and a lot of gold waiting for your thieves.

There's no need to hoard your gold. During the midgame, you'll drown in money anyway (making the last point partly moot ;) )

Almost every unit in the game is good enough to bring to the final fights - the average stats in this game are great on (almost) everyone. As such, mounted (and flying) units are almost always superior thanks to their mobility, while the Laguz suffer because of their transformation gauge. But you can easily focus on the first sentence in this paragraph and just field whoever you like best.

Ike is the only character whose stats really matter, there are two bossfights that are basically 1vs1 (although you can heal Ike). If you're playing on normal difficulty, this is less true, but on hard, you absolutely need a strong Ike towards the endgame. So make sure he doesn't fall behind in levels or gets RNG screwed.

Ike has a story promotion after chapter 17, though. He doesn't really need any special attention to reach lv.20 until then.

I'd actually recommend checking the map on SF. Even without the recruitable unit, there are a few nice items and a lot of gold waiting for your thieves.

There's no need to hoard your gold. During the midgame, you'll drown in money anyway (making the last point partly moot ;) )

Almost every unit in the game is good enough to bring to the final fights - the average stats in this game are great on (almost) everyone. As such, mounted (and flying) units are almost always superior thanks to their mobility, while the Laguz suffer because of their transformation gauge. But you can easily focus on the first sentence in this paragraph and just field whoever you like best.

Oh, I got east and west mixed up. My bad.

Train up Rolf as much as you can when you get him. He'll be your only archer at that point, and he's really helpful in chapter...12, I believe it is. In fact, he's one of only three potential units that will be able to deal extra damage to the enemies on this map. The second is Soren (unless you gave his wind tome to the other magic user you might have at this point), and the third is any sword wielder you have at that point if you got a certain weapon through a special info conversation earlier.

Edited by Anacybele

Rolf is not really worth using. He has low bases and has an awful time catching up due to lack of enemy phase.

The only bow user you need in this game is Astrid. She has Paragon (Earns Double EXP so catches up fast) and is mounted so she gets Canto by default. Actually, mounted units are generally great in this game, even Geoffrey is a good filler unit in the lategame maps.

Honestly, you don't need the extra damage in Ch.12. There are rarely more than 2 enemies in killing range; it's more difficult to make sure they don't prey on your healer of choice. Also, the basic Wind spell is literally as strong as Thunder against flying enemies (although it's not as heavy and more accurate) - effective damage is pretty meh in this game.

So I'd only pump any EXP (either in battle or bonus exp) into Rolf if you actually want to keep him on your team longterm.

€: Yeah, Rolf is one of the weakest unit in the game, being bowlocked and not on a horse. I still stand by my everyone-is-viable 'advice', though, unless the unit in question is a certain thief without promotion.

Edited by ping

Train up Rolf as much as you can when you get him. He'll be your only archer at that point, and he's really helpful in chapter...12, I believe it is. In fact, he's one of only three potential units that will be able to deal extra damage to the enemies on this map. The second is Soren (unless you gave his wind tome to the other magic user you might have at this point), and the third is any sword wielder you have at that point if you got a certain weapon through a special info conversation earlier.

I dunno... It ain't like him being "good" in that chapter makes up for him being a pain in the ass to raise. Heck, I'd say that unit slot going to Rolf might be better used on someone with some semblance of survivability instead.

Rolf is the best archer in the game, what are you guys talking about? Astrid WOULD be the best, except her join time is awful and she comes at lv. 1. Rolf starts at lv. 1 too, but at least he comes in much earlier. Just dump some bonus exp on him for a bit and he should be good. He always turned out really good for me and much better than Shinon. And he still makes chapter 12 less annoying.

Edited by Anacybele

Rolf is the best archer in the game, what are you guys talking about? Astrid WOULD be the best, except her join time is awful and she comes at lv. 1. Rolf starts at lv. 1 too, but at least he comes in much earlier. Just dump some bonus exp on him for a bit and he should be good. He always turned out really good for me and much better than Shinon. And he still makes chapter 12 less annoying.

Rolf's join time doesn't really work in his favour - ya ask me, being available for longer doesn't mean much if you can't accomplish anything of note. Also, playing the BExp card doesn't really help Rolf's case since it can be given to anyone, and I'd rather give it to someone who'll give me more bang for my buck, AKA anyone else.

Rolf's join time doesn't really work in his favour - ya ask me, being available for longer doesn't mean much if you can't accomplish anything of note.

Except he can, like I've been saying? And later in the game, he's valuable against the hordes of wyvern riders. Rolf isn't easy to train up, but I find him easier to get caught up than Astrid. Astrid is honestly near useless. At least, I always have Oscar promoted and with bows by the time she appears, making her unneeded. Mounted units are great in the game, but she's overshadowed by Oscar, Kieran, and Titania. Geoffrey who comes later also has bows.

My used archers in this game are always Rolf, Oscar, and maybe Boyd (after promotion, he gets bows too) and Shinon. I never use Astrid at all.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the triangle attack the three brothers can do later is nice too.

Edited by Anacybele

Except he can, like I've been saying? And later in the game, he's valuable against the hordes of wyvern riders. Rolf isn't easy to train up, but I find him easier to get caught up than Astrid. Astrid is honestly near useless. At least, I always have Oscar promoted and with bows by the time she appears, making her unneeded. Mounted units are great in the game, but she's overshadowed by Oscar, Kieran, and Titania. Geoffrey who comes later also has bows.

My used archers in this game are always Rolf, Oscar, and maybe Boyd (after promotion, he gets bows too) and Shinon. I never use Astrid at all.

You've been SAYING it, but you haven't been PROVING it... Rolf does next to no damage to most of the enemies in his join chapter. That's a red flag right there.

You've been SAYING it, but you haven't been PROVING it... Rolf does next to no damage to most of the enemies in his join chapter. That's a red flag right there.

That's not true, he could damage most of them just fine (just not the heavy knights, obviously). He doesn't do a lot of damage, but he does enough. I feed him kills by having some other guys lower their HP for him.

And why do you demand proof from me when I've yet to see any evidence/proof that Astrid is this oh so good unit?

Edited by Anacybele

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the triangle attack the three brothers can do later is nice too.

So is Astrid, or any paladin that chooses to have bows as their promotion weapon, or hell, axes. And Boyd can cover that as well. Both older brothers are better than Rolf. Astrid is honestly easier to train because killing any enemy with a bow pretty much guarantees a level. In addition to that, she has better movement and canto to stay out of the way. If Oscar is promoted with bows by the time you reach Astrid, that puts more emphasis on why you shouldn't use Rolf. If you use BEXP, you need less to make Astrid stronger than Rolf. Astrid is a better investment. Also, you can use wind magic against Wyverns, and their res is inferior to their defense, so you'll do even more damage with mages.

Shinon is worse than Astrid and even harder to train than Astrid! He comes even later and has terrible bases.

Which isn't really needed because there aren't many things that Boyd can't kill, and Oscar struggles on that same boat. There aren't enough high defense enemies with good luck to make Triangle attack worth it.

Sorry, but I disagree and will always think Astrid is no good solely because of her join time. She is not a good investment to me at all and I won't change my mind on this.

Shinon is bad, yeah, but I like him, so I give him a break. Astrid is meh to me character-wise.

Edited by Anacybele

That's not true, he could damage most of them just fine (just not the heavy knights, obviously). He doesn't do a lot of damage, but he does enough. I feed him kills by having some other guys lower their HP for him.

And why do you demand proof from me when I've yet to see any evidence/proof that Astrid is this oh so good unit?

4-5 damage to enemies that have HP counts in the upper 20s to lower 30s (aka the majority of what you see at that point) is next to no damage by my standards.

Also, I'm demanding proof because I haven't seen anything that proves Rolf is good, nor something I'd actually consider much of a defence.

Sorry, but I disagree and will always think Astrid is no good solely because of her join time. She is not a good investment to me at all and I won't change my mind on this.

Shinon is bad, yeah, but I like him, so I give him a break. Astrid is meh to me character-wise.

The issue is that paragon BEXP makes Astrid need less BEXP than Rolf would if you decided to raise them. Rolf isn't a carry that you should invest in and I honestly wouldn't recommend them. I wouldn't advise against anyone as no one is so outlandishly bad in this game that you can't use them, but if I were making a list of recommendations, Rolf isn't on there.

Yeah, I agree that Shinon is a more interesting character, but he's still pretty bad. Haha.

Wait, is it possible to give paragon to Rolf?

No. You'll find quite a few scrolls that teach skills to one unit, but there's none for Paragon.

Astrid has a horse, a very powerful ability (which actually makes BEXPing her into relevancy cheaper, too) and can get out of bowlock at promotion (and choosing axes gives immediate access to both steel and hand axes).

She's far from the best cav/paladin in the game (Titania, Oscar and Kieran are very defenitely better), but nobody claimed that she was. But she has potential that Rolf clearly doesn't have and her increased EXP gain is a unique trait that is actually great. Rolf has Longbow access, and they're not great.

I wouldn't advise against anyone as no one is so outlandishly bad in this game that you can't use them, but if I were making a list of recommendations, Rolf isn't on there.

Yeah, this is worth repeating. You can use whoever the fuck you want, the game won't punish you.

Edited by ping

Um, do you mean Reyson? There's nobody in the game named Reisen. But yeah, Naesala will tear you apart unless you make him go away, and to do that, have one of the two hawks talk to him, and then he'll stop attacking and talk to Reyson, and then leave.

Edited by Anacybele

Um, do you mean Reyson? There's nobody in the game named Reisen. But yeah, Naesala will tear you apart unless you make him go away, and to do that, have one of the two hawks talk to him, and then he'll stop attacking and talk to Reyson, and then leave.

Speaking of which, I'd add that if you don't kill any ravens before Naesala talks to Reyson, you get the Knight Ring.

The game is so easy that everyone can be used.

Rolf might be the worst unit in the game for joining late at level 1 but he's far away from being awful.

The enemies in this game have so crappy stats that his bases don't matter much.

Also all the important things like bringing Janaff / Ulkie and Reyson to chapter 19 and promoting Mist to a valkyrie are already mentioned.

One mentionable thing is that you want to max out the level and a few stats to get transfer boosts for FE10.