Trails of Cold Steel 2

DragonFlames

The sequel to my favourite PS Vita game Trails of Cold Steel will release in Europe in about a month and I am stoked to see the adventures of Rean and the others continue.

Since it has been out for about a month (I think?) in the US, I wanted to ask anyone who already has the game and has played it for their impressions on it. Are there any significant changes from the first game, how much did the bonding events in the first game matter, how's the story and all that good stuff.

My only favour would be not to spoil everything for me (and others interested) since I restrained myself from looking anything up about the story so far and I'd like for it to stay that way.

First, let's just say I'd consider ToCS1 one of the worst games in the series, and ToCS2 one of the best.

It doesn't follow a formulaic story structure, and for most part you can choose your own party members. Also, mecha battles are a thing.

how much did the bonding events in the first game matter

You get one or two mentions of your waifu- I mean, chosen companion from 1, but that's pretty much it. Basically, you get to choose again.

The old topic, for reference.

The plot pacing's a little odd. The Sky formula of "things start slow and ramp up" is not really followed. The cast (playable characters + villains + everyone else) is pretty huge. The music is a huge improvement from CS1. If you want a first-run completionist game, it'll take a VERY long time. The basic CS battle system is the same, though there's several tweaks on the master quarts/quartz/artes in general. If you want more details, feel free to ask~!

If you haven't played Sky SC, I strongly suggest doing so, and finishing the game, because there's some spoilers in CS2.

The old topic, for reference.

The plot pacing's a little odd. The Sky formula of "things start slow and ramp up" is not really followed. The cast (playable characters + villains + everyone else) is pretty huge. The music is a huge improvement from CS1. If you want a first-run completionist game, it'll take a VERY long time. The basic CS battle system is the same, though there's several tweaks on the master quarts/quartz/artes in general. If you want more details, feel free to ask~!

If you haven't played Sky SC, I strongly suggest doing so, and finishing the game, because there's some spoilers in CS2.

Thanks! I did play and finish Sky SC, actually. It was absolutely amazing. I'm really looking forward to playing CS2!