Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

I see this opinion all the time tbh, and I always wonder why so many people seem to think that what's currently popular represents all current music.

Because that's what gets played on the radio stations/other public venues. So SOMETHING is fueling that style of music, even if it isn't us Internet posters. ;):

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People should not put every single anime in the same basket (when it comes to ''anime was a mistake'').

Edited by Nym

People should not put every single anime in the same basket (when it comes to ''anime was a mistake'').

"anime was a mistake" is a meme dude

although even then i feel like it's not entirely unpopular to say "people shouldn't make blanket statements shitting on an entire group of media"

Edited by unique

@eclipse: Oh yeah, popular music is definitely popular for several reasons and exposure is one of the big ones. I have no issue with popular music being popular and even like a fair bit of it, past and current alike, and only took issue with the implication that all modern music is bad because pop is bad.

Which was probably more me reading into things than anyone actually meaning that.

Edited by Knight Falchion

I have an unpopular one because of this: people blame nostalgia and use it as too much of an all-encompassing reason for why things are liked.

C h e e r s. Im almost ready to punch the next person who seriously tries to use that argument.

I see this opinion all the time tbh, and I always wonder why so many people seem to think that what's currently popular represents all current music.

Theres that, and theres also the fact that people dont seem to sit and really listen to whats out there, popular or otherwise. People are too content to be in their own little bubble regarding music. Its damn disappointing. And that is my unpopular (af) opinion of the day.

Theres that, and theres also the fact that people dont seem to sit and really listen to whats out there, popular or otherwise. People are too content to be in their own little bubble regarding music. Its damn disappointing. And that is my unpopular (af) opinion of the day.

Well said! Admittedly it took me a while to step out of my own musical preference bubble, but once I did I fell deeply in love with music. There's so much good stuff out there and such a big chunk of it is easily accessible because of the Internet and streaming services that it's a shame people don't explore more.

Well said! Admittedly it took me a while to step out of my own musical preference bubble, but once I did I fell deeply in love with music. There's so much good stuff out there and such a big chunk of it is easily accessible because of the Internet and streaming services that it's a shame people don't explore more.

It's overload in my case. But I'm weird when it comes to music - as long as I don't want to throw a Bible at the lyrics, and the overall melody/instrumentation/singer isn't horribly grating, I'll probably like it. I prefer to cut the singer, and listen to stuff like trance, though!

Yeah, I think my opinion wasn't unpopular because this really depends on the generation.

I grew up with a complete different era of music (70's - early 90's), and now I have problems to accustom on the current music style.

I think Akuma is the most overrated fighting game character of all time and I wish he wasn't in my precious Tekken. Fight me. No, please don't D;

I agree. Highly. I think it's a huge mistake on Tekken's part, and a huge sellout! This is being marketed as the final part to the Mishima saga, and quite possibly the final Tekken game (since the Mishima's are, like, the main characters), and you're gonna go out by selling out to Street Fighter instead of just finishing the lore you developed over the years? The AWESOME lore you made? Really? Booooooooo!

• Undertale is overrated as hell (which I see some other people have said). It's not a bad game, but holy hell is it overrated. I did one playthrough and I have no plans to do another.
  • I recently played Sly 2 and 3 and was astonished at how much I didn't like them after wanting to play them for years. Give me Rayman any day.
  • DmC Devil May Cry has great gameplay. The story and world are both terrible, but gameplay-wise it's fantastic.
  • Metal Gear Solid V is a great game, but it's a terrible Metal Gear Solid game. It has very little in common with what made the older games great, and whilst I understand the message Kojima was going for at the end, the "What a twist!" nature of it annoyed me.
  • Whilst I'm going on about Metal Gear Solid, whilst I love the story and think it's bloody great, it has too many retcons. Inserting Big Boss into Metal Gear Solid 3 was a great idea, but ever since then every time they go pre-Metal Gear the story becomes even more convoluted.
  • The 2014 Thief game, whilst not as good as the older games, was still pretty good. If they'd made navigating the city easier and taken out the pre-scripted action sequences it would have been excellent.
  • The Prince of Persia: Sands of Time trilogy is great, but the best game in it is Warrior Within since it had a plot beyond "Let's get to the big X on our map". Also, the first game is crap.
  • The one Fire Emblem opinion I'll post here:

I really enjoyed Panne's character in Awakening and I married the hell out of her.

• I don't care for Batman in any regards. He's a boring character, and I feel has become popular more due to his image as a memetic badass in recent times.
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier was a great film, but the villains' plan was dumb and felt cartoony.

Yeah, I think my opinion wasn't unpopular because this really depends on the generation.

I grew up with a complete different era of music (70's - early 90's), and now I have problems to accustom on the current music style.

You probably don't want to be in my shoes then. I grew up listing to stuff up to the 1970s and earlier. Including jazz and classical music, as I was playing clarinet in a concert band. I generally enjoy it more than the current J-Pop songs back home.

I don't care for Batman in any regards. He's a boring character, and I feel has become popular more due to his image as a memetic badass in recent times.

Or the Chris Nolan movies. They were a source of memes - but The Dark Knight for instance was universally well-received.

It's overload in my case. But I'm weird when it comes to music - as long as I don't want to throw a Bible at the lyrics, and the overall melody/instrumentation/singer isn't horribly grating, I'll probably like it. I prefer to cut the singer, and listen to stuff like trance, though!

Considering how intimidatingly massive the catalogue of music is, I can see how overload might be limiting. I still think people should be more willing to branch out every once in a while, but if they don't, then they don't.

Your standards for liking music are pretty similar to mine, barring lyrics (I'm more offended by dumb than, well, offensive) and a preference for instrumental pieces (I like music with or without vocalists equally). It makes long road trips with other people pretty easy!

I've actually seen your opinion expressed across a wide span of generations, so my guess is it's a mix of generational differences, parental influence, and the occasional le wrong generation kid. It's mostly a thing with popular music, though, since aside from preferring what one grew up with there's the idea that anything involving a synthesized sound isn't real music.

Assassin's creed 3 received a fairly tepid reputation among the gaming community but I find there to be certain things that are very respectable about the game.

Haytham Kenway alone is enough to redeem a lot of things about the game. When you create a templar who actually follows the Templar creed that people must be restrained for their own good rather than because the Templars are just power hungry then you get one of the more interesting characters in the entire series. Its also the Conor, the main character, not the Templar Haytham who insist there must be division between them.

I also find that Assasin's Creed 3 is very respectable in their approach to its historical setting. Its all to easy and boring to have something set in the American revolution and make the British evil and the American's as the heroes. Something like that is still present in the game, Conor really doesn't have any reason to side with the Patriots other than that its what an American audience wants him to do. Later in the game Conor would even be fully justified in siding with the British.

But the game also takes a lot of effort to distance itself from this approach, mainly in the form of Haytham and Washington. Haytham frequently criticizes Washington and the Patriots during his talk with Conor who doesn't have any real rebuttal to Haytham that goes beyond ''B-but freedom!''.

The best thing they did for their setting was not turn Washington into a marble man but as a more morally grey person who's kinda bad combat record is directly acknowledged.

In the modern period the American and British character also have a small discussion about the revolution and the British man had got several really valid points.

I don't think the game fully escapes the fact that its setting practically demands it panders to American audiences but it tries and I can very much respect that.

Oooh, another possibly unpopular set of opinions I have from the Pokémon series:

• I prefer Nate/Rosa and Calem/Serena so much more than Red. I mean, for Nate/Rosa: two kids with goofy-looking hairstyles and smiles ending up being movie stars at Pokestar studios, property moguls at Trump Tower Join Avenue), and the Pokémon champions? That is hilariously awesome. As for Calem/Serena, they seem to have the air of classiness, which I have a soft spot for. (Also the reason why Cherche was my waifu in Awakening.) As for Red...well...I do admire him for helping to kick off the series, but I also find him kinda boring and possibly overrepresented. I mean, for my former point, what's with everyone fanboying/fangirling him like a "stoic badass" in GSC when it is essentially you from RBY? (Zensho manga's Red looks more appealing for me.) As for my latter point, why didn't other PCs get their shining moments in the PWT for example?
  • The Golden Boys manga was far more appealing to me than Adventures/Special. It is such a huge shame that the series was aborted at Cianwood City with only two books. I'm also thinking about reading Magical Pokémon Journey sometime in the near future.
  • As for the Pokémon Anime, I think, for the most part, some application of better logic would suffice in making the anime better. For example, it makes better sense for Ash to actually replace Brock as the mentor for the AG arc and onwards, while Brendan collects the Hoenn badges instead.
Edited by henrymidfields

I think I already said i, but it bears repeating. The most important thing is the characters. Wether it's a game, or any kind of media. Because if a character, or a relationship between two is bad, this will be Nothing but a achore to go through, no matter how great is everything else (Of course, it's in the case where characters/story are importants). (Once again FFX, amazing game ruined by its atrocious romance).

I highly respect companies that take risks and don't play safe. It works especially with franchise. That's why, no matter how good the next FF is gonna be, it's still an event. They will still tries to makes Something special. ANd that's why in Pokémon, my favourite gen is gen V, and gen VII seems to be a strong contender.

A side note about remakes : Remakes should be close in story (more or less loosely. As long as the spirit is there, and character don't make a 180 (I'm looking at you, Tia for the DS Remake)), but particularily creative with the gameplay. Here, the best examples of a good rmakes are HGSS, and ORAS. There were changes to developp the lore, and the stry, and lots of cool additons unique to the games (POkémons walking behind you and Pokéthlon in HGSS ; Roaming and DexNav in ORAS.)

And one last thing, whether I said I respect them, not that the games are good, or that I like them. This is irrelevant here.

Game developper should consider the fans, but not let them dictate how to make their games.

Fans wants evertything (even if they contradicts themselves), that's how you recognize them.

Edited by Tamanoir

Golden Sun is a meh game and I will never understand why anybody liked it.

As someone who doesn't really have a nostalgic attachment to the Golden Sun series (with the exception of Dark Dawn, and even then Dark Dawn has flaws) I'm going to try and explain why I think they are good games:

1) I LOVE THE WORLD BUILDING- seriously, every single town feel so unique and fresh and it also feels that even the NPCs have a personality. One of the things that I appreciate is that the ovens/cookers have little descriptors describing what they are cooking.

2) The grey/grey morality conflict is really well done. You spend the first game thinking that stopping the lighthouses being lit was the right thing to do, but then you learn that to save the world you have to light the lighthouse. The reunion scene in Cognito perfectly reflects that.

3) The music- the music is really, really good in my opinion. Enough said.

4) The Dungeons and the Battle system are really fun- yes, the games are easy (and maybe making them more difficult would be fun) but they are fun anyways. There are so many different options on how to battle, and it's surprising complex.

There are more, but I don't want to ramble on too much....

And another one:

- One of the people working in Galaxy 1 secretly gave Shigeru Miyamoto the middle finger by adding Rosalina's backstory and a generally more engaged story than any Mario series that came before or after. And indeed, rightly so. Because Shigeru Miyamoto is nothing more than the video game industry version of ultraconservatives like Eugene Deloncle, Francisco Franco, or closer to home, Shinzo Abe/Hideki Tojo; who insists on the status quo of a lack of a good, serious story like the 1980s - the sooner he resigns the better. I may miss Eiji Aonuma, or Junichi Masuda, and I sometimes wish Shozo Kaga is still at IS, but I am sure as hell won't miss the dinosaur.

Edited by henrymidfields

I don't understand the hate against Nickleback. I actually enjoy some of their music. I guess it's because they fit a niche area between rock and metal that people don't like?

I actually like a lot of Atlus's waifu bait games. They are so dumb, but at the same time just enjoyable. It's a guilty pleasure for me.

This pertains more to this site, but I really liked My Castle. I hope they don't drop it in the next Fire Emblem and expand on it.

I love Deadpool, but find the current version of him in the comics to be annoying, and his fans as well. You really can't call them fans, but I hate the whole "so random, much 4th wall break, chimichangas" idea the fans have with him. What used to be a comic relief character that could have some cool moments and be used seriously, has become nothing more than a fan pandering joke of what he used to be. It's aggravating. And it's likewise with Harley Quinn. Though the movie did an excellent job with Deadpool.

I think Bloodborne was he best out of all the Dark Souls type games. It had a much more interesting setting, atmoshhere, and theme to it. The game felt way more balanced, and a lot less frustrating. The faster pace was much better than the very slow dark souls games before. Overall, I think a Bloodborne was way better than the other games.

I love RWBY, but find it's fan base extremely annoying at times. Recently it's been over a ship from the fans for two of the main characters. The ship came about from a bunch of horny teenage fantasies, picked up by tumblr and turned into some half assed attempt at LGBT representation ever since. Both the characters are straight so far in the show. One has had a boyfriend in the past, and has a current love interest that is male, the other has been a flirt with almost every male in the show. Now people are saying they are bi, and creating these huge analysis posts over the smallest situations to say that there is proof of them being Bi. It was a fun crack ship at first with people just writing fun stories for it, now RWBY's fan base, especially at Reddit and tumblr, practically hold it as canon. It's at the point where on of two things will happen. Either the writers will cave in and go with it, which will do nothing more than piss off the rest of the fans as it would be nothing more than fan pandering to the vocal parts of its fanbase, or it won't happenmand the tumblr and subreddit will explode into hysteria and anger on the levels of the tumblr Stephen Universe fans ( and tumblr is already getting close to that point.) It's sad to see. It's to the point that Tumblr is telling people to off themselves for not liking the ship, and the subreddit explodes with new analysis and proof that it will be canon if the two characters even look at each other, let alone speak.

I didn't like Bayonetta's inclusion in Smash. The character just didn't fit at all. I know it was as a result of the ballots, but I still think there were far better options for characters. That and at her initial inclusion she was extremely op, which didn't help my opinion at all.

I didn't find the Mass Effect ending was that bad. If they would of just expanded more on everything at the end, especially on what happens to the characters after the war is over then I think it wouldn't of been so poorly received. Hoping Mass Effect Andromeda might give some info on what happened to some of those characters once the Reapers were done.

I don't understand the hate against Nickleback. I actually enjoy some of their music. I guess it's because they fit a niche area between rock and metal that people don't like?

The reason people dislike Nickelback is because of their derivative and repetitive song writing (and Kroeger's voice for some), not because they're in a weird in-between space as far as sound goes. They're pretty solidly in the pop rock camp. I personally don't have a strong opinion about them one way or the other, but the reasons people don't like them are pretty clear.

I think Bloodborne was he best out of all the Dark Souls type games. It had a much more interesting setting, atmoshhere, and theme to it. The game felt way more balanced, and a lot less frustrating. The faster pace was much better than the very slow dark souls games before. Overall, I think a Bloodborne was way better than the other games.

Maybe it's just me, but I've seen people pretty evenly split between having Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, or Bloodborne as their favorite in the series. Dark Souls 2 and to a lesser extent Demon's Souls are the ones I rarely see people calling their favorite. Edited by Knight Falchion

Oh yeah, have some PokéSpe opinions.

-I like Emerald as a character, and as a result don't really mind the fact he "replaces" Wally.

-Lack-two and Whi-two are stupid sounding names to English ears, and as a result I use overly literal Romaji for them even if it's not much better (Rakutsu and Faitsu).

-Dia/Diamond is the best Sinnoh DexHolder and the best one overall.

-Rakutsu and Faitsu both have potential to be really good characters if Kusaka plays his cards right.

-Crystal is fine but I don't see anything too great about her. She's just there for me.

-Remake chapters are largely pointless. Those characters stories are done and the most they should do is occasionally cameo.

-Red and Pika are kinda boring compared to everyone else.

-I like the alternate take on N's character compared to how the fandom tends to characterize him. Special!N is really "off" with his understanding of social norms compared to other versions of him, even the game one, which is expected of someone who was raised in isolation with the sole purpose of awakening Zekrom.

-The only really bad arc thus far was ORAS. HGSS was meh at best, but even it can top ORAS by far.

And one for the anime:

-The biggest problem with Cilan/Dent in the anime is how radically his personality was changed. Seriously, they just turned him into Cress/Corn, why didn't they just use Cress?! Course, he has other problems regarding how the writers handled him, but those are all popular (basically, you know you've got a problem when your brother who appears in like 5 episodes develops more than you do).

Edited by Glaceon Mage

-Lack-two and Whi-two are stupid sounding names to English ears, and as a result I use overly literal Romaji for them even if it's not much better (Rakutsu and Faitsu).

This... Is really what they are called? Wow

I stopped reading Special during the first Black and White arc (I forget why) and never really followed the fandom, but I agree with everything you said that applies to what I read.

This... Is really what they are called? Wow

I stopped reading Special during the first Black and White arc (I forget why) and never really followed the fandom, but I agree with everything you said that applies to what I read.

Their names are ラクツ and ファイツ, which fans translate as Lack-two and Whi-two. Tmk they don't have official English names because BW2 only has one volume thus far, on the eve of Gen VII.

I really hope Kusaka and Yamamoto don't try and rush out the remainder of the arc (after two years of nothing from it) because of how much potential it has, and because of the fact we waited so long for Volume 53.

Edited by Glaceon Mage