Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

"Goht didn't change that much but is slightly easier (he goes down a little faster on average) while not a huge thing it's still weird and random, why would you make him slightly easier to the point that it's hardly noticeable?"

People complained that Goht took too long to kill. Even Matthewmatosis said the fight can go on for quite a while. Now that it's fixed, Goht is like, the best boss ever."Still he's yet another boss that sucks in bombs and I think we have enough of those in Zelda"

But this one is unique! It's an underwater twist to a classic boss type. I don't know what else they could've done with Gyorg because his design is fairly generic - he's just a giant fish. Maybe you could utilize Zora Link's speed to chase him around, but then he'd start to feel like Goht, who's already in the game.

"keep your dang the thematic consistency, because they drop this for the second phase of Twinmold, Gyorg, and most importantly they don't have a present for Majora."

I have no idea what you're saying here, because all three of these bosses do in fact have Majora eyes."what does slower swimming possibly add other than possible annoyance"

Rebalanced gameplay. It makes green potions and Chateau Romani more valuable, and makes Zora Link closer to Goron Link in that your basic travel is faster than normal, but you can spend magic for an attack and even more speed. TBH the normal swimming isn't even slow.

"Just because it's a small change doesn't mean we should give the developers a pass on it. The ocarina of time remake has ice arrows done correctly, there's no reason this remake had to Nerf ice arrows we should not allow them to get away with that just because it's small, it's still a thing that should not have happened."

Do you ever rate a game 10/10? I dare you to play Sin & Punishment: Star Successor and criticize that.

yeah I could kind of see it Goht thing is not so bad, it's just so small that you should will be faithful in my opinion I believe remakes should more conservative and only change was is necessary.

He's more like an annoying twist on the classic boss. But you said that you couldn't think of anything else so here's something. How abou this for a crazy idea how about expounding on the original design of the boss instead of abandonding it. Like I don't know for example having you use ice arrows to corner him (or they're just could be a little wall screen you hit like switches and they only are active for a couple seconds to get the time it right) so you have awhere you have to aim where you think he's going to be swimming to in a couple minutes so you like thinking okay is going this fast I need a fire arrow at this part the water so he smashes into it. Gyorg was previously a boss based off timing and execution, the boss design should be keeping up that, a bomb boss is a boss based off baiting and patience not the design Gyorg was based on. I'm sure if I give it more thought to what I could come up with even more of these, this boss was a lazy solution as a far cry from the design of the original.

You kill the first two bosses by directly attacking the eyes that appeared on them during all phases last two bosses ditch you attacking there eyes directly for the last two phases you dispatch them by throwing bombs and do their mouth and checking them respectively I know that the eye is apparently supposed to be inside them or something stupid like that and that the tail like pops out a eye when you smash him to the ground (Frankly when I wrote this I forgot that was a thing), Majora's mask's previous bosses were all consistent in the way that you were dispatched they were all dispatched with your sword once in a weakened state this game decides to arbitrarily change that while further deepen in a connection on how they should receive damage. Teaching players through a visual communication that you defeat the bosses by attacking them when their eye is exposed and then ditching that is bad game design. You can't randomly decide that you want to have this connection that tells the player you must attack this and then not use it, it's like if the weak spots in shadow of the Colossus suddenly decided that they had to be pierced by arrows (use arrows to help take down buses but you don't use them to do any real lasting damage to the). So been using the same marker for killing by sword as they do other methods, so me being a first timer during the boss fight was attacking with my sword and Zora form both the second phases of Gyorg and Twinmold because this is what the game taught me to do, that's game bad design if you're going to hammer home a connection in how you defeat the boss is you gotta keep it consistent you can't change that without communicating it to the player properly and this game never communicates it properly. I also believe in design by subtraction, and the eyes add nothing to the game especially in this case they shouldn't be there they only lead to confusion if the ice would've been there I wouldn't have thought there a single way these bosses had to be dispatched.

Maybe you should experience swimming in the N64 version it is a lot more fun. Swimming is done badly in video games in general and Majora is one of the few games I actually enjoyed swimming in so sorry if I'm a bit attached to that. But this doesn't fix a balance problem in fact a create one because over land you have two modes the of travel that are faster and that require no magic if Goron form was the only faster mode of travel overland you might have a point, it is not though. Chateau Romani is still heavily desired in the N64 version especially for the last day as it's basically required when you do last day to moon cycle. And magic is still desired for Zora form it's what power your shield that makes it so you can damage people so it is also desirable to take it before you do the great bay temple so that you can use your shield on Gyorg and enemies a like. It just makes it so when you're doing the great bay area you don't have to buy two bottles of Chateau Romani to move it a basic bearable speed limit, slower swimming does not make the game more hard more challenging or anything it just makes it less fun.

Depends on your definition of 10 mine is masterpiece which doesn't mean flawless so for example The N64 Version of Majora's Mask, Mother 3, FE: Blazing Sword, Shadow of the Colossus, Bioshock, Okami, and Halo 3 are games I consider 10's none of them are perfect they certainly have flaws but I think they represent some of the greatest games ever produced. I never played sin and punishment but I've been thinking about picking it up it looks like it's just like playing the air segments in Kid Icarus so that's cool. I have a bunch of games competing for the 50$ gift card I'm getting... I'm already getting Metroid Prime Trilogy (so I can finally actually beat the prime games which I had had never completed because I always got lost) and the newly released Virtual Console version of Majora since I have a discount from owning it on the Wii (I don't have a classic controller so I have no way to play this on wii emulation anymore that's and two buck is worth the convenience of not having to launch wii mode) i've been debating what else I want to get.

Edited by Locke087

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good thing you said most, because I could easily cite SNES Ninja Gaiden trilogy as being inferior to their NES originals haha.

Mistakes were made. At least the Wily Wars included a whole new mode to make up for the inferior ports.

Mistakes were made. At least the Wily Wars included a whole new mode to make up for the inferior ports.

Man the Wily Tower is such a cool concept, we should have gotten something like that for 4/5/6, 7/8

or heck all 8 for a full length game with all the stupidly broken powers.

There is actually a remake where most of the people agree is better than the original?

Maybepokemonred/blue/greenremakes

HGSS, resident evil, several of the FF re-releases/remakes (III, IV, V, VI), FE3 (FE1 lol), metroid zero mission

it also depends on what you consider a remake. things like dota 2 or "remastered/definitive" editions (like animal crossing! technically a japan-only n64 game originally) might fit the bill

>all these people who think Wind Waker is bad

You all made my night. 'Horseshit'. Good one. XD Have you even played something bad? I don't think you have. Something bad would be some shitty LEGO Star Wars game for the DS, or something. If you want a truly bad game, go play that.

Anyway, I think Ocarina of Time is overrated and not that great, but it's still a damn fine game. On the contrary, I feel Majora's Mask beats it in every aspect and is the superior of the two.

EDIT:

-EoSD is the most boring Windows game in the series by far.

-It also has the worst soundtrack of the Windows games, again by far.
-Maiden's Illusionary Funeral ~ Necro-Fantasy > Necrofantasia
-Kanako > Suwako
-Futo's theme is quite possibly the best stage five boss theme.
-On the flipside, Sakuya's EoSD theme is by far the worst stage 5 boss theme.
-Mamizou should have been saved for FS or HM, Seiga should have been the Ex boss and Tojiko the Stage 4 boss.
-Tojiko had potential to be a really cool character. She's based on one of Shoutoku (Miko)'s consorts!
-Futo should be playable in a mainline shooter sometime, because she's adorable and hilarious.
-I don't like most EoSD characters, especially Sakuya.
-Alice solo isn't the worst shot the series. That false honor is Sakuya Solo's, because her spread does really crummy damage, she can't even pierce familiars, and her bomb slows her down far more than necessary. Her entire existence is basically an extremely inferior Yuyuko solo.
The game picks up by Stage 4 quite a bit, though the first three stages are indeed boring. IMO you should probably get to Remilia first before judging.
I like them both, but Necrofantasia is superior. Still alright.
I like 'em both. Sanae's the most superior, though. :smug:
Ehhhhhh...it's okay, but nothing special IMO.
Lunar Dial is amazing, though. It's your opinion, after all, but still. owo
That wouldn't fit the flow of TD's story, so no. ZUN knows what he's doing.
She should be.
I don't care for them too much, either. Only really Rumia and maybe Patchouli.
You're forgetting that solo shots aren't balanced in the game and are literally only in IN because ZUN could. They're a bonus sort of thing, so of course they're going to prove to be not very useful. It's obvious that they're going to be shit.
Edited by Zeems

My unpopular (?) opinion - Final Fantasy should end with a Final Final Fantasy, so Square Enix can try something else. If the series can't end after 15-20 main entries, there is no hope.

My unpopular (?) opinion - Final Fantasy should end with a Final Final Fantasy, so Square Enix can try something else. If the series can't end after 15-20 main entries, there is no hope.

That's dumb. Most of the FF games are different from one another, so the only thing you're asking Square to do is to change the brand (so they can what, make LESS money???? Genius idea as usual, Zera).

Man the Wily Tower is such a cool concept, we should have gotten something like that for 4/5/6, 7/8

or heck all 8 for a full length game with all the stupidly broken powers.

I'd love to play both of those things, even though (like I said to you) I don't think the 4-6 or 7/8 ideas have quuuuuuuuuuuuuite as much potential as 1-3 did. Also I'd love an X1-X3 version of the same concept.

I'd love to play both of those things, even though (like I said to you) I don't think the 4-6 or 7/8 ideas have quuuuuuuuuuuuuite as much potential as 1-3 did. Also I'd love an X1-X3 version of the same concept.

X1-X3 would you also have interchangeable armor pieces?

>all these people who think Wind Waker is bad

You all made my night. 'Horseshit'. Good one. XD Have you even played something bad? I don't think you have. Something bad would be some shitty LEGO Star Wars game for the DS, or something. If you want a truly bad game, go play that.

Anyway, I think Ocarina of Time is overrated and not that great, but it's still a damn fine game. On the contrary, I feel Majora's Mask beats it in every aspect and is the superior of the two.

EDIT:

The game picks up by Stage 4 quite a bit, though the first three stages are indeed boring. IMO you should probably get to Remilia first before judging.

I like them both, but Necrofantasia is superior. Still alright.

I like 'em both. Sanae's the most superior, though. :smug:

Ehhhhhh...it's okay, but nothing special IMO.

Lunar Dial is amazing, though. It's your opinion, after all, but still. owo

That wouldn't fit the flow of TD's story, so no. ZUN knows what he's doing.

She should be.

I don't care for them too much, either. Only really Rumia and maybe Patchouli.

You're forgetting that solo shots aren't balanced in the game and are literally only in IN because ZUN could. They're a bonus sort of thing, so of course they're going to prove to be not very useful. It's obvious that they're going to be shit.

First agreeing with the OoT thing, the game is okay on its own, but the only thing it has going for it anymore is historical influence. It's just so outperformed by MM, TWW, TP, SS, and presumably BotW when it releases, that playing it after playing one of them OoT just isn't fun anymore.

I have no real motivation to get to Remilia when the first 5 stages quite literally bore me out of my mind.

I like all three characters, but Suwako's more widely liked than Kanako is from what I can tell.

Luna Dial's instruments are some of the worst in the series for me, and they really drag the song down. There are orchestral arranges I like, but the original just doesn't do it. At least Sakuya eventually got a better theme in Flowering Night.

Tbh I think my biggest issue with EoSD's cast is they're kinda overhyped alongside their game, on top of finding them not particularly interesting.

I think that some effort should have been made for them, otherwise the option feels... really pointless. The only ones that actually are affected by focusing (scoring aside) are Remilia and Youmu, and even then, it doesn't change their damage or how their shots work at all, it just locks their familiars in place.

While it doesn't kill the game as a whole for me, it just feels like a very half-assed feature and really should have been all in with actual effort or not there at all.

First agreeing with the OoT thing, the game is okay on its own, but the only thing it has going for it anymore is historical influence. It's just so outperformed by MM, TWW, TP, SS, and presumably BotW when it releases, that playing it after playing one of them OoT just isn't fun anymore.

I think OoT is still a good game because -

A. It has more... uh, Zelda than MM.

B. It has more challenge than WW.

C. It has more dungeons than TP.

D. It has more freedom than SS.

If I had to choose between replaying OoT3D and SS, I would take the former because

http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/comic/396-slowtalker/

I have no real motivation to get to Remilia when the first 5 stages quite literally bore me out of my mind.

I like all three characters, but Suwako's more widely liked than Kanako is from what I can tell.

Luna Dial's instruments are some of the worst in the series for me, and they really drag the song down. There are orchestral arranges I like, but the original just doesn't do it. At least Sakuya eventually got a better theme in Flowering Night.

Tbh I think my biggest issue with EoSD's cast is they're kinda overhyped alongside their game, on top of finding them not particularly interesting.

I think that some effort should have been made for them, otherwise the option feels... really pointless. The only ones that actually are affected by focusing (scoring aside) are Remilia and Youmu, and even then, it doesn't change their damage or how their shots work at all, it just locks their familiars in place.

While it doesn't kill the game as a whole for me, it just feels like a very half-assed feature and really should have been all in with actual effort or not there at all.

I got really bored of OoT. It's my little brother's favorite game and he could replay it over and over, but I just can't. It feels like such a slog to me.

Really? There's quite a bit of action in Stages 4 and 5...but then again, it's just Normal mode. Perhaps Hard mode would give you something to pay attention to, so maybe give that a try sometime.

Suwako's more liked for obvious reasons (muh lolicons). There's also the fact that for the most part, Extra bosses see more popularity than Stage 6 bosses in games before TD.

On the contrary, I feel Lunar Dial sounds really mysterious, and I feel there's hints of professionalism and elegance in the theme. It's quite fitting of Sakuya's character as the maid that defends her master. Flowering Night is good, too. I'd say it's more fitting for Sakuya when she's lonesome.

They're the first cast a lot of people have seen due to it being the first Windows game, so...it's to be expected. Most casts after are superior, but EoSD is still the most prominent in the fanbase simply for being first and being the most memetic.

Perhaps ZUN could've tried a bit more in balancing the solo shots, yeah. But teams are almost always superior to them, anyway. Aside from Youmu scoring, the solo shots are just viewed as side things people can use for challenge.

If I had to choose between replaying OoT3D and SS, I would take the former because

Yeah, it's a good game. But imo Zelda not being too prominent in MM shouldn't be a mark in OoT's favor.

TWW may be easier, but imo OoT's sidequests aren't as interesting or fun as TWW's.

OoT does have more dungeons, but I feel that TP's dungeons are more creative and original.

I'll give you this. From what I heard, SS doesn't have the best showcase of freedom.

X1-X3 would you also have interchangeable armor pieces?

It'd be more interesting if you didn't have any of the armour pieces, honestly (although yeah, you'd still be able to dash). It'd make you rely on the weapons more, which is always a good thing considering the whole purpose is to mix and match the weapons. Maybe it'd have its own unique armour or something, I dunno because I didn't really think that far ahead. As for life ups and subtanks, I'd have you start off with half of the life ups (so six) and one or two subtanks so that while you start off pretty awesome (because it's supposed to take place after the first three games), there's still some room for progression which is part of what the X series is known for.

A. What does that even mean? What is the argument here? MM has the basic Zelda gameplay with its own spin, one of the best stories in the series, and some of the best dungeon design the series has ever produced, despite there being only four.

B. This I'll give, OoT is more difficult than TWW. That said, I find TWW's own unique identity significantly more fun/interesting than OoT.

C. Quality > Quantity tbh, I found TP's dungeons much better from a design standpoint. I never even finished Ocarina because I got bored with it after the Water Temple.

D. I'm one of the weirdos that didn't mind the linearity in SS. The only things I'd say OoT does better than SS are controls and Navi managing to be less intrusive than Fi. In practically every other category, SS wins for me.

I got really bored of OoT. It's my little brother's favorite game and he could replay it over and over, but I just can't. It feels like such a slog to me.

Agreed on that front, except the brother bit.

Really? There's quite a bit of action in Stages 4 and 5...but then again, it's just Normal mode. Perhaps Hard mode would give you something to pay attention to, so maybe give that a try sometime.

Just not really motivated to practice it.

Suwako's more liked for obvious reasons (muh lolicons). There's also the fact that for the most part, Extra bosses see more popularity than Stage 6 bosses in games before TD.

Yeah, obvious reasons are obvious (but boobs). Also wait, what changed in TD?

On the contrary, I feel Lunar Dial sounds really mysterious, and I feel there's hints of professionalism and elegance in the theme. It's quite fitting of Sakuya's character as the maid that defends her master. Flowering Night is good, too. I'd say it's more fitting for Sakuya when she's lonesome.

Just don't really see it like that, it's just too grating on my ears because of the instruments.

They're the first cast a lot of people have seen due to it being the first Windows game, so...it's to be expected. Most casts after are superior, but EoSD is still the most prominent in the fanbase simply for being first and being the most memetic.

Yeah, I know, just not the sort of thing I ever approved of, sort of like Gen I glorification in Pokémon.

Perhaps ZUN could've tried a bit more in balancing the solo shots, yeah. But teams are almost always superior to them, anyway. Aside from Youmu scoring, the solo shots are just viewed as side things people can use for challenge.

The teams are almost always superior (main exceptions I can think of are Marisa Solo if you don't use MAlice Cannon and in Ex only, Remilia Solo). I just think the inclusion should feel more complete and not as a poorly thought out afterthought, otherwise it might as well not exist.

Also wait you haven't played SS?

...It's a good game held back by lack of options for rather minor things, like not having the option to use analog control for the bird/swimming, not having the option to use a more traditional control scheme, and not having the option to make Fi shut up.

Agreed on that front, except the brother bit.

Just not really motivated to practice it.

Yeah, obvious reasons are obvious (but boobs). Also wait, what changed in TD?

Just don't really see it like that, it's just too grating on my ears because of the instruments.

Yeah, I know, just not the sort of thing I ever approved of, sort of like Gen I glorification in Pokémon.

The teams are almost always superior (main exceptions I can think of are Marisa Solo if you don't use MAlice Cannon and in Ex only, Remilia Solo). I just think the inclusion should feel more complete and not as a poorly thought out afterthought, otherwise it might as well not exist.

Also wait you haven't played SS?

...It's a good game held back by lack of options for rather minor things, like not having the option to use analog control for the bird/swimming, not having the option to use a more traditional control scheme, and not having the option to make Fi shut up.

boobs are the best

Mamizou isn't that popular, at least compared to Miko.

Raiko's pretty irrelevant after DDC, while Shinmyoumaru tends to reappear from time to time. (It's a shame, Raiko's pretty cool.)

Hecatia is definitely well-liked, but Junko is moreso.

Before those games, you can expect the Touhou games to mainly have the Extra boss be more popular than the final boss. Though I suppose PCB is an exception to that rule, since Yuyuko is more popular than Ran. Though...Yukari is more popular than Yuyuko, so would it still apply? owo (I'm on the fence regarding Byakuren and Nue, too.)

There are some things in IN that ZUN scrapped due to time constraints. Netherworld Team was supposed to face Sakuya in Stage 4 while Scarlet Team would've fought Youmu. That would've been really cool to see, but unfortunately it didn't happen.

Nah, I didn't play SS. I actually rented a copy of it from the library some time ago, but I didn't have Wii Motion Plus. So that sucked.

Edited by Zeems

Agreeing with Glaceon Mage about being fine with Skyward Sword's linearity. Heck, linearity in video games in general doesn't ever really affect how good or bad I think a game is.

Also, I prefer the 2D sprites in Gen II-V of Pokemon over the 3D models introduced in Gen VI.

boobs are the best

Mamizou isn't that popular, at least compared to Miko.

Raiko's pretty irrelevant after DDC, while Shinmyoumaru tends to reappear from time to time. (It's a shame, Raiko's pretty cool.)

Hecatia is definitely well-liked, but Junko is moreso.

Before those games, you can expect the Touhou games to mainly have the Extra boss be more popular than the final boss. Though I suppose PCB is an exception to that rule, since Yuyuko is more popular than Ran. Though...Yukari is more popular than Yuyuko, so would it still apply? owo (I'm on the fence regarding Byakuren and Nue, too.)

I think Ran being tied to Yukari's existence is part of why she never caught on compared to Yuyuko. A lot of fans probably view her as an extension of Yukari, rather than her own character.

Which is a shame, Ran's pretty great.

There are some things in IN that ZUN scrapped due to time constraints. Netherworld Team was supposed to face Sakuya in Stage 4 while Scarlet Team would've fought Youmu. That would've been really cool to see, but unfortunately it didn't happen.

Yeah, that sucks. The Wind Waker is one thing that makes me 100% okay with delays, because trying to meet a deadline and rushing as a result just hurts your final product. The Wind Waker is a good game, but the deadline made it so it couldn't be the best it could be.

Nah, I didn't play SS. I actually rented a copy of it from the library some time ago, but I didn't have Wii Motion Plus. So that sucked.

Most Wiimotes these days have WMP built in, including the ones that were boxed with SS. So you can try looking for one of those I guess.

It's not my favorite Zelda ever, but I do think it's a respectable game, even if the controls are generally a step down from Wii TP's implementation.

Since this is a general media thread as well, here goes some non gaming ones:

-Loaded is as great as the other three velvet underground albums. I do think it has some lows (although not as many as the general consensus), but Sweet Jane, Rock & Roll and Oh! Sweet Nuthin' are in their top 5 best songs

-First Impressions of Earth is the best Strokes album. I will also say everything they released after it is really bad, but I'm not sure that's unpopular.

-Parks and rec's first season is great and very funny

-The last two seasons of the office are still really good. I mean, nothing could replace Michael, but I didn't watch it JUST for Michael.

-Everything related to Superheroes bores the hell out of me

-If a movie isn't comedy or horror, then I'm probably not enjoying it.

My unpopular opinion, I loved almost everything about X and Y. Probably cause Y was my first pokémon Game

Same, except for the last part. I've been playing Pokemon since yellow was first released.

Edited by Ninguém

Unpopular Touhou opinions? Uhm... I really don't like Flandre, Sakuya, and Remilia. The only time I've liked the cast was in the Touhouvania game simply due to the designs.

Actually in general I don't care for EoSD, PCB, and IS. The only characters in it who stood out or at least ones I liked were Meiling, Youmu, Mokou, Wriggle, and Keine.

Most of the EoSD themes are overrated.

I really don't get why Cirno's so popular.

Since we were talking about unpopular Pokemon opinions recently, I have two in particular:

-GSC are some of the weakest games in the series mechanically, despite the technological advances they made. Most of the Gen II Pokemon have bad stats, bad movepools or both, many of them aren't even catchable until you get to Kanto, the PokeGear phone rematches were an interesting concept with a terrible execution, the level curve is non-existent, the day of the week-based events are obtuse and often not worth the effort, and roaming legendaries was just a bad idea from the get-go.

-HGSS are a top contender for my least favorite games in the series. Not only did they not fix Gen II's many, many flaws aside from movepool problems (and even then that was DDP's doing), they also added in quite a bit of railroading where it wasn't necessary (the worst of it being that you're forced to catch Ho-Oh/Lugia to progress to the Elite Four because reasons), and added a bunch of obtuse and hard to do side content (the gym leader rematches, the Safari Zone, etc).