Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

It'd be more interesting if you didn't have any of the armour pieces, honestly (although yeah, you'd still be able to dash). It'd make you rely on the weapons more, which is always a good thing considering the whole purpose is to mix and match the weapons. Maybe it'd have its own unique armour or something, I dunno because I didn't really think that far ahead. As for life ups and subtanks, I'd have you start off with half of the life ups (so six) and one or two subtanks so that while you start off pretty awesome (because it's supposed to take place after the first three games), there's still some room for progression which is part of what the X series is known for.

Oh that would be cool, like a more Veteran X with all his stuff.

Man we should totally make an X game.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not unpopular at all, in fact it was the general consensus for a while and maybe still is?(not sure on that one, but either way, it's not unpopular)

Okay, from when this started to become Unpopular? I'm asking this because there are a lot of people who seems to think so

I dunno, all my friends started off disliking the idea of incineroar but grew to like it. I felt like I was the only one of my friends who preferred keeping her Torracat as is.

Although perhaps Incineroar losing THIRTY BASE SPEED has something to do with it, because one of my friends just started outright disliking the whole line because of it. >>

Although perhaps Incineroar losing THIRTY BASE SPEED has something to do with it, because one of my friends just started outright disliking the whole line because of it. >>

Evolved Pokemon can LOSE stats? Is GF trying to make un-evolved Pokemon viable?

...That's been the case for ages.

Scyther, for example, loses 40 base Speed upon evolution, but gains 20 base Attack, 20 Base Defense, and a much better typing upon evolving.

Plus Scizor has Technician + Bullet Punch to help its speed issues.

Another example is Shelmet to Accelgor, which loses base Def in favor of a ton of speed.

As Glaceon Mage said, this is nothing new.

If fact, it happens ever since Gen 1!

With Butterfree and Beedrill have lower base Defense than their pre-evolutions, Metapod and Kakuna.

There also other cases, such as Pelipper having lower Speed than Wingull, Vibrava's base Attack being lower than Trapinch's and Flygon's base Attack being exactly the same as Trapinch's.

I don't get why ReDeads are scary? Like, the first Zelda game I beat I didn't even realise I'd been righting ReDeads until I got told?

The only time they really bother me is TP, and those were technically Gibdos in the Japanese version.

Like OoT/MM were pretty low poly and that killed the scariness (plus dancing for the latter).

TWW gave them some silly looking proportions and goofy giant earrings.

TFH basically made them look like clay statues that melt.

There is actually a remake where most of the people agree is better than the original?

Maybepokemonred/blue/greenremakes

Nah. The remakes got rid of the bugs, and as such are inferior to the originals.

​In general, Pokemon ois pretty good at remakes (t sure if the thirversion also counts as a remake). HGSS is clearly an improvement on every point.

ORAS is more a mixed bag, but that's mainly because Emerald exists. Not sure about FRLG actually, since I never played through it, but they seemed to have improved as well.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Oh, and I want to rant again on Pokémon here. Pokémon is one of the series that changes the most between each installment without changing its basic structure.

If you look at the details, it's actually crazy how different the games are from each other.

Let's take the music, for example. Do you know many series that would go from the bombastic trupets of Hoenn to the atmospheric piano of Sinnoh ? Talking about the difference between Gen I and II wouldn't be fair, but the major change between Gen II and II deserves mentions (Abilities that changes totally the way you play the games). And each games adds more or less relevant difference. Sometimes for the worst, obvs.

Each Games/Gen have a unique feels to it. iT's quite impressive actually.

My unpopular (?) opinion - Final Fantasy should end with a Final Final Fantasy, so Square Enix can try something else. If the series can't end after 15-20 main entries, there is no hope.

That's dumb. Most of the FF games are different from one another, so the only thing you're asking Square to do is to change the brand (so they can what, make LESS money???? Genius idea as usual, Zera).

Yeah this. Hironobu Sakaguchi (the serie creator) once said teh only thing that makes a FF a FF is "the blue Windows".

FF is the last AAA serie that still tries to do Something new and interesting, and just for that, I commend them (even if the game ends up being bad. At least they tried.).

So yeah, Zera, saying they should stop FF just shows you have clearly no idea what you're talking about here.

I played FF 3 and 4 on DS and Bravely Default, and they're all the same game! They have their own twists, but still use the same core battle system. I would just as easily categorize them as "FF" games as SE themselves. TWEWY, on the other hand, has unique core mechanics, something that SE needs to try more often.

I played FF 3 and 4 on DS and Bravely Default, and they're all the same game! They have their own twists, but still use the same core battle system. I would just as easily categorize them as "FF" games as SE themselves. TWEWY, on the other hand, has unique core mechanics, something that SE needs to try more often.

The thing is that Bravely Default is the ​spiritual successor of Final Fantasy: the 4 Heroes of Light(a FF spin-off that has a gameplay very similar to the first three FF) and is a FF in everything except the name.

​​Really, no one has never denied that BD is a "different game" - hell, many even kind of consider it to be the real FFXIII.

Anyway, I'm aware that this isn't completely unpopular, but I really enjoyed Nowe's character: sure, he wasn't as charming as Caim or Zero and Nier, but I really enjoyed his relation-ship with Legna and the other characters and the development he goes troughout the game.

But I admit that he is a bit dumb sometimes

Anyway, I'm aware that this isn't completely unpopular

It's not? I've never ever heard anyone praising Nowe ever. I personally think he's a really shitty protagonist, and all of the best moments in Drakengard 2 (there were few) involved Caim's revenge for making Angelus the seal.

FF 3 and 4 were made over 2 decades ago and bravely default is meant to play like them

It's kind of stupid to say SE keeps making the same thing and then point to games designed literally in 1990 to prove your point

If you look at the Final Fantasy games they've released in the current millenium, you'd see none of them are particularly similar to each other

edit: a valid criticism is they all share similarities in design philosophies, plot and character designs, and obviously that they're all JRPGs and as such follow certain guidelines and tropes, but they've made gameplay systems as different from each other as two systems in the genre can be

edit 2: and this is not meant to defend or question their quality as videogames. I'm not a particularly big fan of the series save for a couple of the older games and i havent really had enough interest to play a new one in years, but i can at least see they arent just releasing the same game every couple of years

Edited by fuccboi

• 4 weeks later...

I like the Wii U Gamepad more than the Wii Remote, dunno if that's unpopular, though.

I think the Gamepad works well for what it is, which is pretty much a standard Nintendo controller with a large screen in the middle. Games like Splatoon and Bayonetta 2 I think function really well with it, while Mario Kart and Smash just fair. I do find it to be a surprisingly comfortable controller, however, and I enjoy drawing with it. The main criticisms I've seen for it are 1. it's different/too gimmicky (which the Wii remote was too let's be real) and 2. there is only one per system and therefore player (a fair criticism I must say - I feel the Wii U would've been much more successful if it wasn't marketed as just a Wii with this single bonus controller).

Speaking of Wii Remotes, my own unpopular opinion(?) is that I play Mario Kart Wii and 8 with the Wii Wheel. I find it fun and not very difficult at all. Last year at a small tournament, my rival was like "You're pretty good for someone who uses the Wii Remote" and I felt insulted.

I like the Wii U Gamepad more than the Wii Remote, dunno if that's unpopular, though.

I really like the gamepad, since i hate having to look at a tv to play games and prefer handhald gaming in general, so i'm with you on this one. I wish every wii u game could be played using it as a main screen, which is not the case, though

Edited by Nobody

Admittedly I'm not 100% sure how unpopular this opinion is but I don't see it brought up.

FFXV's summons are probably the worst in the series, not animation wise, but due to the fact they're so limited in number and a few you can only use outside of story mode. It feels somewhat like a ripoff.

That's not unpopular! My only proof is I agree with it, but the only good thing are the animations and the high damage during very troublesome situations. In the other games, at worst they were generic damage dealers, but I think most people can agree that FFXV was a huge step back from how X/XII/XIII did them.

EDIT: Also being unaware of which one you're about to summon is a big flaw. They really needed to go into more detail about either who you're summoning or how to summon the main four. The fact that you can't summon Bahamut or Ifrit is also kind of a downer.

Edited by Lord Raven

That's not unpopular! My only proof is I agree with it, but the only good thing are the animations and the high damage during very troublesome situations. In the other games, at worst they were generic damage dealers, but I think most people can agree that FFXV was a huge step back from how X/XII/XIII did them.

EDIT: Also being unaware of which one you're about to summon is a big flaw. They really needed to go into more detail about either who you're summoning or how to summon the main four. The fact that you can't summon Bahamut or Ifrit is also kind of a downer.

So I'll be honest and this may be popular... the thing with the Summons is I guess besides them not telling you the prerequisites for how to summon them, I guess I didn't mind it. I usually get Ramuh popping up every 8 or so fights. I just didn't like the limited number of them, I guess.

Mainline Shin Megami Tensei is better than Persona. I don't like the latter's message of "hurr durr we can overcome anything with THE REAL SUPERPOWER OF TEAMWORK". As a result, I feel that the main series SMT games have better written stories, although characters could still be debatable.

That and I prefer having Demon-filled teams. Not human-filled teams.

Mainline Shin Megami Tensei is better than Persona. I don't like the latter's message of "hurr durr we can overcome anything with THE REAL SUPERPOWER OF TEAMWORK". As a result, I feel that the main series SMT games have better written stories, although characters could still be debatable.

That and I prefer having Demon-filled teams. Not human-filled teams.

That's more decisive than unpopular, and that message is more true of Persona 3 and 4 than the first three Persona games, which are far closer in tone to the mainline SMT games.

Related, but I think Persona 3 is much better written than Persona 4. Granted, both games have their narrative shortcomings, but Persona 3 is far more consistent with its narrative, both in terms of tone and quality, and it better integrates everyone's character development into the main plot than P4 does.

Overall, my ranking in terms of Persona stories and general writing quality from best to worst is Innocent Sin > Persona 3 > Eternal Punishment > Persona 4 > Persona 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PQ.

Edited by AzureSen

I agree with AzureSen. P3 was a lot more consistent in tone and presentation. I'll admit that, at first, the "lighter" portions of the story can be jarring, but, once the events start unfurling, a sort of anxiety will pervade each scene, turning what was supposed to be a happy moment into a solemn one. And it stays that way during the entire game.

But, I do think yours is the unpopular opinion. I honestly think it might be a split opinion. I know for certain that the Persona vs. SMT debate is completely split.

My unpopular opinion:

- I don't think Mario or Legend of Zelda are that great.