Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

I didn't find Navi all that annoying, either, honestly. As far as I can recall, the times she actually interrupts what you're doing to tell you about things are pretty minimal; most of the time you're given the choice to either view her hint or just ignore it.

• Dunno if I posted this already but if something is too dark or bleak or violent, then I'll have a hard time getting into it. This is why I haven't been able to get into Game of Thrones at all despite it being so highly-renowned.
  • In general, I don't watch a whole lot of TV, and I don't end up reading very many books, either. Video games are my preferred entertainment medium nowadays.
  • I honestly really don't like a lot of the newer anime styles I've seen, even though my preferences in art styles do slant more towards "anime" than realism or western cartoon style. Their "moe"-ness annoys me.
  • I actually really like '80s~'90s-style anime/manga art styles; they're inexplicably nostalgic for me somehow even though I wasn't actually even alive during their heyday. Maybe it's because they remind me somewhat of the earlier Pokémon episodes, which I did get a chance to watch growing up.
  • While I don't inherently dislike characters who generally conform to the social expectations associated with their gender or anything, I tend to gravitate more towards characters with more gender-neutral personalities and appearances where they're present. Incidentally, such characters also tend to comprise the majority of the characters I make, as well.
  • I dunno if this, like, goes here, but since it crops up a lot in fandom discussion, it kinda bothers me when people use objective language to express subjective opinions. If you're making an assertion about something's objective quality and are prepared to back it up with objective facts and stuff, then that's fine, but it really gets under my skin when people are like "oh, Thing A is superior to Thing B" when what's really the case is that they just subjectively like Thing A more and subjectively don't like Thing B. It probably wouldn't bother me as much if I didn't feel like it was very frequently done to turn the expression of opinion into a jab at people who like whatever thing(s) it's implicitly or explicitly deriding, but it just... I dunno, it's just really annoying to me.
  • I also really hate "fandom wars" and rivalries and stuff like that. It's part of why I usually don't really consider myself to be part of the "fandoms" of things that I like, even when it's something that I probably like more than some people who do consider themselves part of the fandom. I don't wanna be lumped in with people who perpetuate stupid, needless conflict like that and I don't wanna be pressured or assumed to participate in it, either.
  • I literally do not care even a little bit about celebrities or their drama, aside from a select few famous-ish people who I do follow (who are very rarely actually big-time famous). Like, I'll go, "oh, that sucks" or "oh, good for them" or whatever, but it's really not something I have any sort of investment in.
  • I don't really care about band music at all and I rarely listen to it; I'm almost always just listening to video game soundtracks. Queen is just about the only band I can think of where I can actually say that I like the band's work in general and not just some specific songs that they made.
  • I really don't like when RPGs or... whatever genre the majority of the Zelda series counts as... use a "stage select"-type setup as the primary way of navigating the world. It makes everything feel so sectioned-off and disjointed, and it kills a lot of my investment in the world. Incidentally, this is one of my major gripes with the Kingdom Hearts series. No, making you play a minigame in between worlds does not make it not count.
  • Giving bosses no meaningful distinguishing traits besides a ton of HP and somewhat higher stats than preceding enemies is not good boss design and does nothing except make the boss take more timenot more effort—to defeat compared to normal enemies.
  • I honestly kinda find it hard to do anything but root against characters who are unrepentantly mean/self-centered/"""pragmatic""", no matter how attractive or whatever they may be. If there's a redemption arc for them and they genuinely change their ways to not be so callous anymore, then I can get behind them, but otherwise I don't care for them at all. I don't object to their presence in the story so long as they're well-implemented, but I'm definitely not gonna, like, side with them or anything.
  • I actually really like genuinely-kind and goodhearted characters and I don't think there's anything inherently boring or unrealistic about them whatsoever. That's certainly not to say that they have to be 100% morally-spotless little angels or anything, since that is rather unrealistic, but I really like characters who are fundamentally good, compassionate people at their core and who express that through their actions.
  • I think that RPGs in roughly-contemporary/"modern day" settings are actually really interesting and I'd love to see more of them, but I don't want medieval or futuristic RPGs to stop being made or anything, either.
  • From a gameplay perspective, I really love things like class-changing systems, but from a story/character perspective, I prefer that the number of "main" party members not be limited to however many characters can fit in the active party at once. I do realize that these things kinda clash with each other a bit.
  • I honestly do not mind silent protagonists in the least, provided the rest of the cast and story are capable of picking up the slack.
  • The first three SaGa games had some legitimately really interesting ideas, from the unique gameplay mechanics to the bizarre and often rather surreal atmospheres of their worlds and stories, and it is with a little disappointment that I infer that the later games (even as early as SaGa 3) kinda shifted more towards being like "normal" RPGs in those respects, since I think those qualities could've made for a truly distinct and enjoyable RPG series given more refinement.
    (Someone with more familiarity with the SaGa series, please feel free to let me know if that inference is incorrect, but what I've seen kinda implies that to me.)
  • I understand that it's almost definitely not going to happen, but I'd love to see Final Fantasy take another whack at a player-generated main team, or at least a player-generated lead protagonist, in a non-MMO main-series title.
Edited by Topaz Light

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I literally do not care even a little bit about celebrities or their drama, aside from a select few famous-ish people who I do follow (who are very rarely actually big-time famous). Like, I'll go, "oh, that sucks" or "oh, good for them" or whatever, but it's really not something I have any sort of investment in.

I don't really care about band music at all and I rarely listen to it; I'm almost always just listening to video game soundtracks.

I agree with both of these, though for the latter I listen to anime soundtracks quite a bit as well.

I dunno if this, like, goes here, but since it crops up a lot in fandom discussion, it kinda bothers me when people use objective language to express subjective opinions. If you're making an assertion about something's objective quality and are prepared to back it up with objective facts and stuff, then that's fine, but it really gets under my skin when people are like "oh, Thing A is superior to Thing B" when what's really the case is that they just subjectively like Thing A more and subjectively don't like Thing B. It probably wouldn't bother me as much if I didn't feel like it was very frequently done to turn the expression of opinion into a jab at people who like whatever thing(s) it's implicitly or explicitly deriding, but it just... I dunno, it's just really annoying to me.

And I don't think this is particularly unpopular.

Another thing I thought of:

- I really, really hate it when people have oddly-formatted UNs on sites that allow spaces in them. Things like omitting the spaces and indicating new words with a capital, or putting a _ between the words instead of a space bothers me a ton, since it's weird to look at. Obviously this doesn't apply on sites like tumblr where spaces in UN's aren't permitted by the software.

This isn't unpopular outside of nerddom and it may not be unpopular within it, but the comments regarding VGM reminded me of this: for me, most VGM doesn't hold up outside of context. This applies to other media with supplementary soundtracks. It makes sense as to why, since the pieces are to supplement the action/emotion on screen. I still like listening to certain soundtracks out of context, but a lot of it's due to nostalgia. i do think the soundtracks for shadow of the colossus, nier, and asura's wrath are good tho

Another opinion that I am unsure of its unpopularity:

• I could care less about the Olympic Games, and I avoid watching them on TV like the plague. They're nothing but just some rubbish propaganda exercise by the host country.

And one that would be very unpopular with my compatriots back home:

• I also intend to avoid footages of Hideki Tojo's and the Japanazi's Sports Show (read Tokyo Olympics 2020). In fact, I actually wish the Olympic Games in Tokyo would be cancelled, because of the huge political, financial, and social mess my home is already in.

The Olympic games are such a freaking mess right now since the latest happenings (tolerating state doping; IOC president didn't visit the Paralympics).
I'm feeling sorry for the clean athletes who worked so hard for this event... but I don't believe in the Olympic Committee and the cleanness of these games anymore.

• I also intend to avoid footages of Hideki Tojo's and the Japanazi's Sports Show (read Tokyo Olympics 2020). In fact, I actually wish the Olympic Games in Tokyo would be cancelled, because of the huge political, financial, and social mess my home is already in.

Unfortunately it's quite the common thing in the world of sports. The latest Olympic games took place in "problematic" countries. (Rio, Russia)

Same goes for football too. (WC in Qatar)
The money will be invested in the games to be in the good spotlight in the publicity and cover the social problems. And literally nothing of the received money will be invested to decrease the issues.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

I hate the recent indie games. Before it was stuff like Dungeon Defenders, Orcs Must Die, etc that were fun and were a bit innovative. The graphics, while not the best, were stylized and looked great for what it was. Now it is full of these hipster indie devs that want to purposefully produce bad graphics, rehash the same combat and game mechanics that have already been done (and dare to call it new and refreshing), and try to be holier than thou with it all. Games like Undertale come to mind where everyone hyped it up to be more than it should. Said how interesting and different the story was (already done), how great the mechanics were (already done), etc. It made me not even want to try it.

I thought the premise of the new CoD was kind of interesting. Never been a big fan myself, but it wasnt a bad premise. Of course fans threw a fit because it wasnt in WWII or some other era that has been beaten to death by the series.

Non Gaming

I love Vin Diesel's cheesier movies. They are just fun to watch, like the recent Last Witch Hunter. Sure it wasnt a great AAA title, but it was fun to see at theaters. I hope it gets a sequel. Same with the Fast and Furious movies. They arent meant to be academy award winning, just fun. Its like people forgot that the word entertainment was attached to these things.

I thought the Dark Knight movies were bad. The Dark Knight not so much, I liked Heath Ledger's joker. The plot wasnt too bad, and everyone other than Christian Bale did a good job of acting. On the other hand 1 and 3 were terrible.

The new Star Wars was not that great (not bad either), it is a copy and paste of Episode 4 with new characters. I am far more interested in the off shoots that are coming than episodes 7, 8, and 9.

I find the recent comic craze of diversifying everything a bit annoying, only because the diversity was already there, Marvel just wasnt using the characters. Example being Marvel's recent change to Ice Man, making him gay. It made no sense, and didnt need to be done. But everyone acted like it was great that there was a gay character in Marvel. Hello, ever heard of North Star? Part of Alpha Flight? No, of course not because Marvel didnt actually care until they saw they could make a quick buck off of the so called "diversity" in comics. The diversity was there, Marvel just wasnt willing to pull out some old characters, dust them off, and update them for current audiences. Where is Blink, Blade, Luke Cage, Misty Knight, Patriot, Bishop, Sunspot, Sunfire, why isnt Robby Reyes used more, Firestar, Cloak, Dagger, Domino, Hellcat, Moon Dragon, Mantis, Spider Woman, Silver Sable, Sif, She Hulk, White Tiger, Wasp, Brother Voodoo, Deathlok, Night Thrasher, and the list goes on. There was diversity in Marvel and DC, the problem is no one was using these characters. But instead of using them we are now just taking well known and loved characters, killing them off, and replacing them with someone more diverse so Marvel can slap a cheap label of them being progressive on the cover, make a quick buck, and throw the character away in the next story arc.

Edited by Tolvir

• I honestly really don't like a lot of the newer anime styles I've seen, even though my preferences in art styles do slant more towards "anime" than realism or western cartoon style. Their "moe"-ness annoys me.
  • I actually really like '80s~'90s-style anime/manga art styles; they're inexplicably nostalgic for me somehow even though I wasn't actually even alive during their heyday. Maybe it's because they remind me somewhat of the earlier Pokémon episodes, which I did get a chance to watch growing up.

I agree with both of these. I don't know what it is, but the anime of modern day looks . . . manufactured . . . in my opinion. They tend to blend together in my eyes. Now, I will admit that there are plenty of anime out there that have their own unique style that I enjoy (JJBA and AoT for example) but, overall, I prefer the animation of the anime from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. I think it may have something to do with the transition from traditional to digital, but all of that would be only presumptions because I'm not knowledgeable on stuff like that.

Most of my music folder consists of VGM. I think the only one that really resonates with me outside of context, though, is Wandering Flame from Final Fantasy X due to its solemn, melancholy tone; it's perfect for brooding over how far in life one has come.

So, my opinions for today are:

- I think Nujabes was one of the greatest composers of all time. He also has one of the best YT comment sections. Seriously. Go on YT, look up one his songs and marvel at how there is literally no negativity or hate on any of his music. Everyone is only talking about how his music made them feel/how it got them through hard times and it feels like a real, close-knit community despite the only connection between them (us) all is love for Nujabes' music.

- I honestly think the Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl arcs of the anime was the best. Ash actually was a competent trainer, though, the presence of clueless beginning trainers certainly did help with that. The Pokemon Contests were my favorite portions of the anime and I still to this day wish the Contests in-game could be like in the anime. I thought Paul was the best rival Ash could have had as Paul challenged Ash's fundamental approach to training his 'mons, resulting in an awesome battle, not only between pokemon, but between ideals.

Edited by saisymbolic

Oh general media? Hmm... okay...

I have no idea if i should spoiler this since I think everyone knows about it but

I still liked Death Note after L died.

Gunbuster is superior to Gurren Lagann.

Drifters is superior to Hellsing in every way.

Legendary's Godzilla was a fine movie even with the focus on humans. Why? Because literally every Godzilla movie did that, so I had no problem with it, and I'm baffled by people complaining about it.

Speaking of which, all the Godzilla movies are good. Even the "bad ones" are ones I recommend watching.

Slasher movies are the worst form of horror movie. The only good one was the first Scream.

Jotaro Kujo is the least interesting Jojo but he has the best design.

Mob Psycho 100 is better then OPM. (I still like both!)

Sayaka Miki was a good character.

However, the best magical girl series is Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

Sakura Matou is probably one of the least interesting characters in fiction ever.

Sayaka Miki was a good character.

Yeah gotta say I have this opinion too, actually unpopular Madoka opinions in general:

-I don't like Homura all that much or Homura/Madoka.

-Mami/Madoka is a pairing I like

-Kyosuke didn't do anything worth the shit fans give him. He was just incredibly oblivious.

-Rebellion's ending was bad simply because it came from nowhere and appears to conflict with established rules of the setting.

-The first Japanese take of Homura's lines during Rebellion's ending was better than the final Japanese take for how unsettling the tone is coming from Homura. The first take does much better at showing how off the deep end she is.

-Elsa Maria and HN Elly/Kirsten > Charlotte

Yeah gotta say I have this opinion too, actually unpopular Madoka opinions in general:

-I don't like Homura all that much or Homura/Madoka.

-Mami/Madoka is a pairing I like

-Kyosuke didn't do anything worth the shit fans give him. He was just incredibly oblivious.

-Rebellion's ending was bad simply because it came from nowhere and appears to conflict with established rules of the setting.

-The first Japanese take of Homura's lines during Rebellion's ending was better than the final Japanese take for how unsettling the tone is coming from Homura. The first take does much better at showing how off the deep end she is.

-Elsa Maria and HN Elly/Kirsten > Charlotte

I actually share that opinion. I don't like Homura, especially after Rebellion movie.

As far as pairings I guess...

-Kyouko x Mami and Sayaka x Madoka were the ships I enjoyed.

-Again, I don't like Homura. Not too popular of an opinion.

-Walpurgisnatch had the worst witch design. I guess its because of the lack of weirdness/tricks like with the others, but I felt bored looking at it.

-I don't really care for Kyouko x Sayaka. It exists. That being said, Aoi Yuuki x Kyouko Sakura the OTP.

However, the best magical girl series is Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

This is unpopular? One more for me then.

Speaking of Nanoha, Vivid at its peaks is just as dark as the rest of the franchise, it just doesn't throw it at the reader's face as much and its fluff is fluffier. (I say reader to be safe because I quite honestly forget if the anime kept all the things I'm thinking about from the manga)

This is unpopular? One more for me then.

Speaking of Nanoha, Vivid at its peaks is just as dark as the rest of the franchise, it just doesn't throw it at the reader's face as much and its fluff is fluffier. (I say reader to be safe because I quite honestly forget if the anime kept all the things I'm thinking about from the manga)

I'm assuming its unpopular because the most magical girl stuff I see is Sailor Moon, Madoka Magica, or PreCure.

I honestly think Josuke has the best design. but im scum for part 4 anyways so

Is this even really that unpopular?

I'm asking this because, around me, there are a lot of people who seem to love everything about Josuke, including his design.

But, again, these people may be an exception than the rule, which is why I'm asking if It's really that unpopular.

Regarding Jojo, Jonathan Joestar is probably my favorite MC, along with Giorno, and I don't find Dio Brando to be that interesting of a character.

I honestly think Josuke has the best design. but im scum for part 4 anyways so

Not entirely unpopular but uncommon I guess?

Usually the most loved are Joseph Joestar (especially in the west) and Jotaro Kujo (in Japan.)

Oh, I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but Jolyne Kujo is one of the best Jojos in the series. fight me

I'm asking this because, around me, there are a lot of people who seem to love everything about Josuke, including his design.

But, again, these people may be an exception than the rule, which is why I'm asking if It's really that unpopular.

Regarding Jojo, Jonathan Joestar is probably my favorite MC, along with Giorno, and I don't find Dio Brando to be that interesting of a character.

Gonna address the dio part: this actually is becoming slowly more popular (that Dio isn't that great of a villain) as more parts are revealed.

I won't lie, I still like Dio, but Yoshikage Kira is easily way more interesting then Dio will ever be.
Edited by Ebony

I usually see people talk about Joseph and Jotaro, to be honest.

Also, I like the JoJo that has the gap in his teeth. I may or may not have meant him in my first comment.

I liked Part I Dio, but, after that, I kind of fell off with him. I still like his design, as well. I'm just not a fan of villains that don't know when to quit. If anything, my favorite villains would be Kira Yoshikage (who I think is actually pretty popular), a couple of the enemy Stand users and the Pillar Men (particularly Whammu).

I can't comment on Jolyne because I haven't gotten that far. I sped through the first four parts and got somewhat bored of Part 5. I haven't picked it back up yet because I started reading some other stuff.

Speaking of which:

- Kingdom is a really underrated series. I wish someone had told me about it earlier. Also, Prison School. It is absolutely hilarious, though, I am getting sort of fed up with the current part of the manga. We've been on this same thing for the past couple of months.

Edited by saisymbolic

i don't think they were expressing an unpopular opinion, but rather, were responding to the earlier post made saying that they liked jotaro's the most

although joseph is definitely the fan favorite in america, there are people who love every jojo

hell the two you mentioned, jonathan and giorno, are probably the only ones that not too many people love

also i don't think anyone finds dio an interesting character people just love him because he's a crazy evil guy and that makes him fun

I usually see people talk about Joseph and Jotaro, to be honest.

Also, I like the JoJo that has the gap in his teeth. I may or may not have meant him in my first comment.

I liked Part I Dio, but, after that, I kind of fell off with him. I still like his design, as well. I'm just not a fan of villains that don't know when to quit. If anything, my favorite villains would be Kira Yoshikage (who I think is actually pretty popular), a couple of the enemy Stand users and the Pillar Men (particularly Whammu).

I can't comment on Jolyne because I haven't gotten that far. I sped through the first four parts and got somewhat bored of Part 5. I haven't picked it back up yet because I started reading some other stuff.

Speaking of which:

- Kingdom is a really underrated series. I wish someone had told me about it earlier. Also, Prison School. It is absolutely hilarious, though, I am getting sort of fed up with the current part of the manga. We've been on this same thing for the past couple of months.

Gappy is Josuke, or Jo2uke. Named the same.

I prefer part 1 Dio, but then again, I prefer part 1 over part 3 which isn't that popular of an opinion, lol.

Gappy is Josuke, or Jo2uke. Named the same.

I prefer part 1 Dio, but then again, I prefer part 1 over part 3 which isn't that popular of an opinion, lol.

Good, I was right then.

i don't think they were expressing an unpopular opinion, but rather, were responding to the earlier post made saying that they liked jotaro's the most

although joseph is definitely the fan favorite in america, there are people who love every jojo

hell the two you mentioned, jonathan and giorno, are probably the only ones that not too many people love

also i don't think anyone finds dio an interesting character people just love him because he's a crazy evil guy and that makes him fun

I wasn't expressing an unpopular opinion, you are correct. Sort of. I just kind of mentioned it because I remembered that I didn't see many (vocal) fans of Josuke; mostly only Joseph and Jotaro. I just wanted to give my man Josuke some love. Also, I can testify that no one ever mentions Johnathan. It's sad too because he was essentially the founding JoJo. he is essentially what persona 1 and 2 is to the persona series lol

I would also like to mention (even though everyone probably already knows) that JoJo #2 was briefly married to two dudes. I found a pretty humorous manga about him struggling over who he wanted to be with.

The first three SaGa games had some legitimately really interesting ideas, from the unique gameplay mechanics to the bizarre and often rather surreal atmospheres of their worlds and stories, and it is with a little disappointment that I infer that the later games (even as early as SaGa 3) kinda shifted more towards being like "normal" RPGs in those respects, since I think those qualities could've made for a truly distinct and enjoyable RPG series given more refinement.

(Someone with more familiarity with the SaGa series, please feel free to let me know if that inference is incorrect, but what I've seen kinda implies that to me.)

I'm not sure about SaGa 3 (I heard that was closer to a standard JRPG as well), but stuff like Romancing SaGa/SaGa Frontier/Unlimited Saga doubles down on the unique gameplay mechanics (and presumably refines them). Gonna ask a friend who actually has played the series to make sure this is true, but yeah.

EDIT Whew, I was right.

[5:41:37 PM] Refakitty³: hey nightmare i have a SAGA related question
[6:01:36 PM] My Best Nightmare: WHOA
[6:01:40 PM] My Best Nightmare: what is it refa-san
[6:02:15 PM] Refakitty³: actually it's not my question but i'm CURIOUS about it
[6:02:24 PM] Refakitty³: "The first three SaGa games had some legitimately really interesting ideas, from the unique gameplay mechanics to the bizarre and often rather surreal atmospheres of their worlds and stories, and it is with a little disappointment that I infer that the later games (even as early as SaGa 3) kinda shifted more towards being like "normal" RPGs in those respects, since I think those qualities could've made for a truly distinct and enjoyable RPG series given more refinement.
(Someone with more familiarity with the SaGa series, please feel free to let me know if that inference is incorrect, but what I've seen kinda implies that to me.)" is this true????
[6:02:33 PM] Refakitty³: i figured it wasn't but i was interested in why
[6:03:40 PM] My Best Nightmare: oh huh
[6:03:51 PM] My Best Nightmare: I don't think that person has actually seen much
[6:04:01 PM] My Best Nightmare: for starters saga 3 isn't even a kawazu game so that would make sense
[6:04:31 PM] My Best Nightmare: but like, romancing saga etc. look more like typical rpgs because they're mostly human casts and stuff right
[6:04:35 PM] My Best Nightmare: that might be why they're saying that
[6:04:56 PM] Refakitty³: that's fair
[6:04:56 PM] My Best Nightmare: they're not at all like typical rpgs though, whether in mechanics or in progression
[6:05:03 PM] Refakitty³: altho saga frontier isn't all humans I THINK
[6:05:08 PM] My Best Nightmare: yeah!
[6:05:11 PM] Refakitty³: also i knew saga three was different somehow
[6:05:19 PM] Refakitty³: yeah they're
[6:05:21 PM] Refakitty³: insane
[6:05:26 PM] Refakitty³: idk how else to describe them haha
[6:05:29 PM] My Best Nightmare: hahaha
[6:05:33 PM] My Best Nightmare: I think romancing saga just has like
[6:05:44 PM] My Best Nightmare: a more "typical" setting but tbqh even then it does it in a much more itneresting manner than like
[6:05:46 PM] My Best Nightmare: everything else probably
[6:06:42 PM] My Best Nightmare: saga frontier restores the more unique setting like in the early saga games
[6:06:54 PM] My Best Nightmare: but then its progression is a bit more typical, what with every character having their own main quest and all
[6:06:58 PM] My Best Nightmare: not that that's bad though
[6:08:03 PM] My Best Nightmare: and ofc, unlimited saga is infamous for being impenetrable
[6:12:24 PM] Refakitty³: yeah isn't romancing saga like
[6:12:26 PM] Refakitty³: a board game
[6:12:27 PM] Refakitty³: er
[6:12:29 PM] Refakitty³: unlimited
[6:12:36 PM] My Best Nightmare: also yeah basically
[6:13:16 PM] My Best Nightmare: it's an even more literal translation of board game to video game

Edited by Refa

I wasn't expressing an unpopular opinion, you are correct. Sort of. I just kind of mentioned it because I remembered that I didn't see many (vocal) fans of Josuke; mostly only Joseph and Jotaro. I just wanted to give my man Josuke some love. Also, I can testify that no one ever mentions Johnathan. It's sad too because he was essentially the founding JoJo. he is essentially what persona 1 and 2 is to the persona series lol

oh

well somehow i forgot to mention in my post that despite what my avatar might make you think

josuke definitely has my favorite design of the jojos too

i like his outfit, i like the whole "love and peace" theme he has going on with it

and i even like his terrible hair

he might be my favorite jojo

he's at least one of my 3 favorites

I find the recent comic craze of diversifying everything a bit annoying, only because the diversity was already there, Marvel just wasnt using the characters. Example being Marvel's recent change to Ice Man, making him gay. It made no sense, and didnt need to be done. But everyone acted like it was great that there was a gay character in Marvel. Hello, ever heard of North Star? Part of Alpha Flight? No, of course not because Marvel didnt actually care until they saw they could make a quick buck off of the so called "diversity" in comics. The diversity was there, Marvel just wasnt willing to pull out some old characters, dust them off, and update them for current audiences. Where is Blink, Blade, Luke Cage, Misty Knight, Patriot, Bishop, Sunspot, Sunfire, why isnt Robby Reyes used more, Firestar, Cloak, Dagger, Domino, Hellcat, Moon Dragon, Mantis, Spider Woman, Silver Sable, Sif, She Hulk, White Tiger, Wasp, Brother Voodoo, Deathlok, Night Thrasher, and the list goes on. There was diversity in Marvel and DC, the problem is no one was using these characters. But instead of using them we are now just taking well known and loved characters, killing them off, and replacing them with someone more diverse so Marvel can slap a cheap label of them being progressive on the cover, make a quick buck, and throw the character away in the next story arc.

Yes, 100% this. I totally agree. This is actually a huge reason why I've only scarcely followed comics recently, this kind of thing really bothers me.

This is the UNPOPULAR opinion topic. Notice the word "unpopular". While I'm not going to warn people for spitting out Any Old Opinion, I'm getting quite tired of facepalming.

Example of an unpopular opinion:

[spoiler=Trails of Cold Steel 2]Laura is mediocre, at best. She needs to connect in order to do damage, and she's so ridiculously slow that she gets all of one turn in before everyone else mops things up. I dedicated half her orbment to making her not as slow and giving her a chance in hell of hitting something.

Fie, on the other hand, had none of these issues. Since I had her go evasiontank, she got a lot of accuracy boosts from her gear. That meant I could focus on upping her damage output (one quartz), leaving seven more for other more useful things (status effects, a single HP quartz to bump her to 2HKO range, etc.)

Edited by eggclipse

Ahhh, sorry. I don't hang out in or even peruse a whole lot of fandom-type communities so I don't really have a very good read on how popular/unpopular most of the opinions I share here are; I mostly just go by how many people I've heard expressing the opinion before versus how many people I've heard expressing or implying opinions that conflict with it, which isn't always accurate.

I'm not sure about SaGa 3 (I heard that was closer to a standard JRPG as well), but stuff like Romancing SaGa/SaGa Frontier/Unlimited Saga doubles down on the unique gameplay mechanics (and presumably refines them). Gonna ask a friend who actually has played the series to make sure this is true, but yeah.

EDIT Whew, I was right.

[5:41:37 PM] Refakitty³: hey nightmare i have a SAGA related question
[6:01:36 PM] My Best Nightmare: WHOA
[6:01:40 PM] My Best Nightmare: what is it refa-san
[6:02:15 PM] Refakitty³: actually it's not my question but i'm CURIOUS about it
[6:02:24 PM] Refakitty³: "The first three SaGa games had some legitimately really interesting ideas, from the unique gameplay mechanics to the bizarre and often rather surreal atmospheres of their worlds and stories, and it is with a little disappointment that I infer that the later games (even as early as SaGa 3) kinda shifted more towards being like "normal" RPGs in those respects, since I think those qualities could've made for a truly distinct and enjoyable RPG series given more refinement.
(Someone with more familiarity with the SaGa series, please feel free to let me know if that inference is incorrect, but what I've seen kinda implies that to me.)" is this true????
[6:02:33 PM] Refakitty³: i figured it wasn't but i was interested in why
[6:03:40 PM] My Best Nightmare: oh huh
[6:03:51 PM] My Best Nightmare: I don't think that person has actually seen much
[6:04:01 PM] My Best Nightmare: for starters saga 3 isn't even a kawazu game so that would make sense
[6:04:31 PM] My Best Nightmare: but like, romancing saga etc. look more like typical rpgs because they're mostly human casts and stuff right
[6:04:35 PM] My Best Nightmare: that might be why they're saying that
[6:04:56 PM] Refakitty³: that's fair
[6:04:56 PM] My Best Nightmare: they're not at all like typical rpgs though, whether in mechanics or in progression
[6:05:03 PM] Refakitty³: altho saga frontier isn't all humans I THINK
[6:05:08 PM] My Best Nightmare: yeah!
[6:05:11 PM] Refakitty³: also i knew saga three was different somehow
[6:05:19 PM] Refakitty³: yeah they're
[6:05:21 PM] Refakitty³: insane
[6:05:26 PM] Refakitty³: idk how else to describe them haha
[6:05:29 PM] My Best Nightmare: hahaha
[6:05:33 PM] My Best Nightmare: I think romancing saga just has like
[6:05:44 PM] My Best Nightmare: a more "typical" setting but tbqh even then it does it in a much more itneresting manner than like
[6:05:46 PM] My Best Nightmare: everything else probably
[6:06:42 PM] My Best Nightmare: saga frontier restores the more unique setting like in the early saga games
[6:06:54 PM] My Best Nightmare: but then its progression is a bit more typical, what with every character having their own main quest and all
[6:06:58 PM] My Best Nightmare: not that that's bad though
[6:08:03 PM] My Best Nightmare: and ofc, unlimited saga is infamous for being impenetrable
[6:12:24 PM] Refakitty³: yeah isn't romancing saga like
[6:12:26 PM] Refakitty³: a board game
[6:12:27 PM] Refakitty³: er
[6:12:29 PM] Refakitty³: unlimited
[6:12:36 PM] My Best Nightmare: also yeah basically
[6:13:16 PM] My Best Nightmare: it's an even more literal translation of board game to video game

Oh, that's really good to know. And yeah, I haven't really experienced any of the series post-GB. I've just seen a lot of the sprites and stuff and I sorta assumed based on those that the games were drifting more towards standard RPGs, so it's nice to know that that's not the case. I'll absolutely look into trying some of the later SaGa games... I just wish more of them had official translations/translation patches.

And SaGa 3 (the original, at least) plays very similarly to your typical turn-based RPG, with a few carryovers from earlier entries tweaked to fit into that framework (and also a jump button that's sort of cool). The DS remake apparently changes the gameplay to be more like its predecessors, though.

This isn't unpopular outside of nerddom and it may not be unpopular within it, but the comments regarding VGM reminded me of this: for me, most VGM doesn't hold up outside of context. This applies to other media with supplementary soundtracks. It makes sense as to why, since the pieces are to supplement the action/emotion on screen. I still like listening to certain soundtracks out of context, but a lot of it's due to nostalgia. i do think the soundtracks for shadow of the colossus, nier, and asura's wrath are good tho

For me personally, I mainly listen to music to brainstorm, so the fact that the music is designed to go with scenes and stuff is actually helpful for me rather than detrimental, but I can definitely understand where you're coming from.

On the topic of the Olympics, and watching things like sports in general, it's not something I'm usually interested in, but when I do watch it, it's just because I enjoy watching the skilled athletes strut their stuff and the mere idea of picking sides kinda seems inherently not fun and even a little bit petty/mean-spirited to me.

Edited by Topaz Light