Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

3DS. Is the original different?

Well, there were a couple of changes from the original, apparently. I heard that the original N64 version:

•had no indications of which entrance leads to which switch, as Galc just mentioned.

•lacked an extra key that was there in the 3DS, which, long story short, led to people thinking they opened the wrong door, couldn't find any extra keys to further progress, and thought they were permanently stuck with no way to reach the boss. There is an extra key in the original N64 version as an emergency, but it was very obscure, and very easy to miss due to the camera angles in one of the chambers.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most water levels are really bad.

Same for ice levels.

The only water dungeon I really dislike is OoT's tbh.

MM's is my second favorite dungeon in the series.

Though I guess now that it comes up, I guess that's unpopular.

Great Bay Temple is easily one of my favorite Zelda Dungeons.

The only water dungeon I really dislike is OoT's tbh.

MM's is my second favorite dungeon in the series.

Though I guess now that it comes up, I guess that's unpopular.

Great Bay Temple is easily one of my favorite Zelda Dungeons.

It's just because they try too hard on the water or ice physics.

And while Zelda gives tools to deal with that, it doesn't always work.

At least SS made a good water dungeon

-I don't dislike Monster Hunter Frontier because of the flashy attacks and monsters. I dislike it for being based on the 2nd gen engine and being a ridiculous grindfest.

-Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 have aged poorly.

I'll probably get complaints about this, but it's partly that I think she's an annoying idiot and partly that I believe Cremia needed someone like Kafei in her life so much more. Think about it. All Anju does is stand behind a counter mixing up guests and cook bad food, and this is with her mother's help and her grandmother's company. Cremia has no one but her little sister who's too busy worrying about aliens (though understandably so since the aliens are real), she runs the huge ranch by herself, she works to deliver milk by herself all while being harassed by the Gorman brothers all the time. And she still looks after her sister at the same time. Oh, and if Link doesn't help Romani, she disappears forever too! Why Kafei couldn't open his eyes and see that a husband to help her would do wonders for Cremia and probably little for Anju's clumsy mind, I don't know. Maybe he likes dumb and clumsy women more than hard-working and lonely ones, which would be a shame to me.

I'm aware that the 3DS version of the game makes Anju a bit less of an idiot, but she's still an idiot to a degree since she STILL mixes up guests and cooks bad food.

Heck, I also think Cremia is a lot prettier. Malon was pretty in OoT when she grew up (though not as pretty as adult Zelda), and Cremia uses her model.

Cremia is one of the few characters in this game I really enjoyed because I admire how hard she works and that despite all her troubles, she keeps on keepin' on.

I agree with how you feel about Cremia and that she needs a good man. But really, can you help who you fall in love with?

I actually didn't mind the HMs in past Pokemon Gens and I honestly miss them. I played around them(without HM slaves). Also Cut is a viable early-midgame move for neutral damage.

Paras and Parasect are neat Pokemon

Monster Hunter armour designs are far too busy and for the most part I just don't care for them

Monster Hunter Generations was chock full of terrible ideas and was a step down in general from 4U

Pokemon got boring as fuck after the 5th gen

Skyward Sword's characters are pretty much all bland as fuck, much like the game they're in

Competitive Smash 4 will just never be as interesting as other fighting games

Just Smash 4 or Smash in general? If it's the first one, why Smash 4 in particular?

Edited by Refa

I find that "Top 10/25 best [console name] games" lists are mostly junk. There's always some critical flaw, like including overly-praised and popular games over legitimately amazing but overlooked ones. Sometimes, the games get worse as the list goes on. What the heck?

I find that "Top 10/25 best [console name] games" lists are mostly junk. There's always some critical flaw, like including overly-praised and popular games over legitimately amazing but overlooked ones. Sometimes, the games get worse as the list goes on. What the heck?

I wouldn't consider that an unpopular opinion; everyone's opinions are always going to be different when viewing lists like that so I doubt you'll get many people who can genuinely look at a list like that and go, "Yep, I agree 100% with this list and think everything is in its perfect place." Also most of those lists are clickbait anyway.

Just Smash 4 or Smash in general? If it's the first one, why Smash 4 in particular?

Lol i dont really have a super strong argument, its just what i feel

Im talking as a spectator with little to no investment in smash 4 or most fighting games, i find smash 4 just not as interesting to watch. I can tune into SF or KOF and its immediately captivating even if i might not capture all the nuances but im still entertained. With smash 4 that rarely happens. Sometimes ill watch clips and be like "oh thats sick" but then i watch a set and im just entirely unamused.

For some context i play and watch melee, but i think melee is a lot more immediately fun to watch. Think like, SF Third Strike, it's just FUN as hell to watch. That's how i got into melee in the first place, without any real prior knowledge about the competitive scene, just from watching professional play

Your opinion might differ ofc, and note this is not to say smash 4 has less value as a competitive game, i sincerely have no idea and im sure its very nuanced for people who know the game, but it just isnt as interesting for me as a spectator compared to a lot of other fighting games

Yeah, that's definitely fair. Melee definitely has more focus on comboes and big plays whereas Smash 4 rewards more consistent and patient play, which I can see being a lot less interesting if you're not already interested in it. I felt pretty much the same way when I started getting back into Smash, but since Smash 4 was the only game I could consistently play with other people, I got more invested in that game (also there's definitely less of a learning curve there).

Actually forgot to ask it before, but why the 5th generation of Pokemon in particular? Most people I know who got bored of the series got bored after the first two gens.

Edited by Refa

no fucking idea man i just had a lot of fun with 5th gen but then i played XY and got bored out of my mind, and ORAS and SM didn't capture me at all either

i've tried going back to older games and found the same problems i had with XY though so maybe it's less the games have gotten boring and more i've gotten bored of the games though, so my b there

Just one that I remembered:

Pokemon GSC isn't that good and is actually worse than Yellow. The level scaling is awful, Johto is very small, Kanto is extremely lacking compared to the Gen I version, and many of the pokemon that were new back then were only obtainable at the late game. Even as a kid back in the day I liked yellow better, and when RS were released I just didn't return to it that often, as opposed to Yellow, which I'd always play again.

Edited by Nooooooooooooooooooooobody

I'm going to preface this by saying I'm loving Pokemon Sun and the trials, but:

I really don't get the big deal people make about trials "shaking up the gameplay". As fun as they are, they are essentially just gyms with a new coat of paint and a new name. Both are essentially a challenge where you beat a bunch of henchmen (trainers / wild pokemon) to face against the main challenge (gym leader / totem pokemon) with a possible mini game or puzzle in the mix.

It's because it helps the "Gym Leaders" (Trial Captains, same thing) to feel more connected to the world and interact with the players more outside of just battling them. Of course, some Pokemon games didn't have this problem (shoutouts to Heart Gold/Soul Silver), but a lot of them had the issue of Gyms that felt disconnected from the rest of the game.

Pokemon GSC isn't that good and is actually worse than Yellow. The level scaling is awful, Johto is very small, Kanto is extremely lacking compared to the Gen I version, and many of the pokemon that were new back then were only obtainable at the late game. Even as a kid back in the day I liked yellow better, and when RS were released I just didn't return to it that often, as opposed to Yellow, which I'd always play again.

Fair enough on the rest of your criticism, but Kanto is extremely lacking because 1) it's just a postgame area, it's not part of the main game and 2) they barely had the space to fit what they did have of Kanto on the cart. GSC literally could not do any better at the time, so to hold it against the game is a bit unreasonable.

I'm going to preface this by saying I'm loving Pokemon Sun and the trials, but:

I really don't get the big deal people make about trials "shaking up the gameplay". As fun as they are, they are essentially just gyms with a new coat of paint and a new name. Both are essentially a challenge where you beat a bunch of henchmen (trainers / wild pokemon) to face against the main challenge (gym leader / totem pokemon) with a possible mini game or puzzle in the mix.

Probably because they aren't in towns and don't feel as...streamlined.

And the Totem Pokemon are very different as bosses compared to the Gym Leaders.

It's because it helps the "Gym Leaders" (Trial Captains, same thing) to feel more connected to the world and interact with the players more outside of just battling them. Of course, some Pokemon games didn't have this problem (shoutouts to Heart Gold/Soul Silver), but a lot of them had the issue of Gyms that felt disconnected from the rest of the game.

Fair enough on the rest of your criticism, but Kanto is extremely lacking because 1) it's just a postgame area, it's not part of the main game and 2) they barely had the space to fit what they did have of Kanto on the cart. GSC literally could not do any better at the time, so to hold it against the game is a bit unreasonable.

This. It's also worth noting that Kanto is only in GSC because of some technological wizardry by Iwata.

If weren't for him, Kanto wasn't even going to be in the game. The game simply couldn't handle more.

Edited by Water Mage

Tbh the only time I felt the Gym Leaders (Giovanni aside) were really connected to the plot was in BW.

For the most part they just chilled in their Gyms and did basically nothing of note, or in the case of HGSS did some random thing with their free time.

It just felt forced overall, XY in particular since it was following up Gen V.

I agree with the bolded part. That's something they should have fixed in the remakes. If they can alter the levels for the gym leaders and gave them higher leveled and different critters for their rematches they could have raised the levels for the wild Pokemon too. Heck they could have added the mossy and icy rocks to the relevant places(Ilex/Viridian Forest, Ice Path, Seafoam Islands).

Hey, I like the level scaling. I was sad to see it gone in XY and glad to see it back in SM (and it works really well with the Multi Exp.)

I never had any problem leveling up my Pokémon in those games. You also get access to the Lucky Egg easily.

​I know BW2 have some of my highest leveled pokemon (80+) of any other Pokémon game.

The main problem in BW is how short the game is, indeed, and the huge gap between main game and post-game.

About SM, I guess it may be unpoplar, but this game have the best rivals since BW. Especially Hau. While Hugh was the worst of both wrds (an annoying bastard that you could never beat because he was an ally), Hau is the best of both : A friendly and easy going guy, who actually enjoy fighting and is no pushover (Mostly because Alolan Raichu is so damn good). That's pretty good.

Blue may actually be the 2nd worst rival. He's just a dick for no reason.

And still with SM, but less unpopular. This game have the best ever designed pokémon. Not only in term of look (though there are many who looks really great), but everything else : they all seems purposefull and a real part of their environment. If they decide to continue focusing on quality over quantity, the future looks bright.

Hugh was the worst of both wrds (an annoying bastard that you could never beat because he was an ally

Excluding Special!Hugh, how exactly is Hugh a jerk? He was generally pretty nice to the player, he just had a sort of revenge/guilt complex regarding Team Plasma:

"Five years ago... Team Plasma stole my little sister's Purrloin. It had been given to her as a present. I was only a little kid... I couldn't do anything... So... So that's why I have to get stronger!"

Excluding Special!Hugh, how exactly is Hugh a jerk? He was generally pretty nice to the player, he just had a sort of revenge/guilt complex regarding Team Plasma:

"Five years ago... Team Plasma stole my little sister's Purrloin. It had been given to her as a present. I was only a little kid... I couldn't do anything... So... So that's why I have to get stronger!"

Maybe not exactly a jerk, but he have a... really irky personality, shall we say. There's no way to have any compassion towards him, when he just don't shut up about his goddamn Purrloin. No matter hwo traumatisisng it was, it's no excuse to have such a bad attitude.

Seriously, the way he talk to the others is not so different than how Blue acts, just a little bit nicer (and he does consider the MC as a friend somehow. I guess MC is the only kid that still accept to hangs out with him, which is kinda sweet, I'll admit.)

​I see what theytried to do with him, but it failed. It's the only thing stopping this game to be perfect, which is why it annoys me so much.

Maybe not exactly a jerk, but he have a... really irky personality, shall we say. There's no way to have any compassion towards him, when he just don't shut up about his goddamn Purrloin. No matter hwo traumatisisng it was, it's no excuse to have such a bad attitude.

Seriously, the way he talk to the others is not so different than how Blue acts, just a little bit nicer (and he does consider the MC as a friend somehow. I guess MC is the only kid that still accept to hangs out with him, which is kinda sweet, I'll admit.)

​I see what theytried to do with him, but it failed. It's the only thing stopping this game to be perfect, which is why it annoys me so much.

The only time he doesn't shut up about the Purrloin is when Team Plasma is involved. Which... makes sense, given the revenge/guilt thing. He can't just go catch another Purrloin, either, that Purrloin was a gift from his late Grandfather. Getting another one would reek of replacement Goldfish.

He doesn't pin the blame on the player, nor does he treat them (or any other non-Plasma) like Green/Blue did Red.

His main fault is the revenge complex and the inability to see through it for most of the game (see: Driftveil City, where he gets mad at Clay for letting Old Plasma stay there). But that isn't really the definition of how he treats everyone.

Again, this mainly refers to Game!Hugh, since Special!Hugh has his more negative qualities more emphasized and exaggerated. The guilt/revenge complex goes much farther in defining his character in Special.

I have one: the Water Temple isn't hard. Annoying? Yes. Tedious? For sure. But hard? Nah.

Arr! I share this opinion.

The 3DS version, or the N64 original?

Since the quote box messed up, the bold is my answer: Both, mate. They are both really easy, just long and tedious. The 3DS version's Water Temple wasnt even different save for slight visual cues.

Oh, here's another unpopular opinion I never mentioned.

I hate Anju in Zelda: MM and hate that Kafei marries her and I hate their sidequest as a result. Your reward for it is pretty stupid and useless too (it has one tiny little use and that's it).

I'll probably get complaints about this, but it's partly that I think she's an annoying idiot and partly that I believe Cremia needed someone like Kafei in her life so much more. Think about it. All Anju does is stand behind a counter mixing up guests and cook bad food, and this is with her mother's help and her grandmother's company. Cremia has no one but her little sister who's too busy worrying about aliens (though understandably so since the aliens are real), she runs the huge ranch by herself, she works to deliver milk by herself all while being harassed by the Gorman brothers all the time. And she still looks after her sister at the same time. Oh, and if Link doesn't help Romani, she disappears forever too! Why Kafei couldn't open his eyes and see that a husband to help her would do wonders for Cremia and probably little for Anju's clumsy mind, I don't know. Maybe he likes dumb and clumsy women more than hard-working and lonely ones, which would be a shame to me.

I'm aware that the 3DS version of the game makes Anju a bit less of an idiot, but she's still an idiot to a degree since she STILL mixes up guests and cooks bad food.

Heck, I also think Cremia is a lot prettier. Malon was pretty in OoT when she grew up (though not as pretty as adult Zelda), and Cremia uses her model.

Cremia is one of the few characters in this game I really enjoyed because I admire how hard she works and that despite all her troubles, she keeps on keepin' on.

Honestly, im going to say that if you cant empathize with Anju in any respect, its likely that you just havent had a lot of real life experiences or cant even contemplate what its like to be in her shoes. Her situation is so very real and relatable, its why shes got such a following in the fandom. Anju never did anything wrong, like ever. Yet shes the sort of person to blame herself for Kafei's disappearance. She tolerates her mother berating her and telling her to basically stop looking for her fiance. (even implying that he ran off with Cremia and basically saying "deal with it") Anju tries her best to do everything she can for people she cares about. She may not be able to cook, and sometimes apologizes too much for being a human being, but shes a good person. A very good person. Its really unfair to say shes an idiot. You dont have to like her but, dang...just dang. Anju is no different from Cremia, in fact, the game kinda shows you this if you look really closely. The two work their arses off constantly, and they both lose someone they love as the result of the game's events. And Link can reverse that in both cases. Its no wonder the two are best friends.

As for Kafei, hes got hella insecurities to not be able to face Anju after the loss of the Sun's Mask. This is likely stemming from the fact hes the son of the Mayor and Madame Aroma. (the latter being the most competent person in Clock Town) To think he got robbed, changed into a child version of himself, he feels like an ape with egg on his face. So he decides to go into hiding and try to solve the problem himself. Its not the smartest course of action, but its a pretty damn human one.

The characters of MM that are explored with more depth are really very human and thats what makes them special.

My unpopular opinion of the day? Im not at all hyped about the Last Of Us 2 and feel like it might end up a trainwreck like the first one.