Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are unpopular opinions? I thought they were common ones. But I agree with them nonetheless.

A Link to the Past is very commonly praised as the best 2D Zelda, and sometimes the best Zelda period.

The first Galaxy is generally praised more because of Rosalina.

• The romance arc setup of "male and female character who frankly don't get along all that well suddenly decide to make out for some reason at a terrible moment" annoys the shit out of me and frankly I could not be less invested in such relationships if I tried. Although, granted, I am very picky about romance arcs in general and I fully admit that it would be very hard to work in one that I could actually get invested in within the very tight length of, say, a movie plot. Still, authors interested in writing romance into their stories can do a lot better than just forcing two characters with minimal chemistry together purely for the sake of having a romance subplot. (Or obligatorily pairing up the male and female leads because That's Just How Things Go).

Good lord I hate romance arcs in most media because they are done so poorly. My favorite one I can think of in a movie or game was Skies of Arcadia with the princess and the princess. It was a subplot that was fleshed out enough to be understandable but it wasn't to the point that it became grating, and it was believable enough that a romance could have blossomed because both weren't main characters so the game merely did it in a way where Vyce could just seem them hanging out together on the ship. Little touches like that went a long way.

For me personally:

• I wish Kingdom Hearts would have focused less on the original characters and more on... You know, actually having Square Enix and Disney crossovers? I just find myself not caring about anyone in the game at this point because the KH series has basically become a video game Shounen.
  • I hate how people attribute "character development" of a character based on if the character falls under the notion of being a dynamic character. Static characters can still be wonderfully developed characters that still have backgrounds, a compelling drive for their behavior, and still be just as humanized as a dynamic character. Just because a character could overall be classified as a static character doesn't mean that they are also a flat character as well.
  • I think people have too high of an expectation for stories in video games nowadays, but honestly? Who could blame them at this point? Devs continue to place more and more emphasis on stories in games and continue to have shorter segments of gameplay with more auto-playing segments in them. I wish both would stop. I like invested stories as much as the next person, but never at the expense of gameplay.
  • "Bad" things happening to characters is not a way to give a character depth. I see too many movies / shows that just slap and onslaught of terrible events on one character to make you feel that the character has human qualities-- all it makes me feel like is that the writer simply doesn't like the character or wants me to feel bad for them.
  • I think outside of the SNES and NES, most of Nintendo's consoles have been pretty underwhelming. Their handhelds have always been stronger than their consoles.
  • For television shows, I find that up to season 4 is how long a show should pretty much last. Most shows start to really lose their drive after season 4. It's rare that I see a show where I feel like the highlight of the show that has 4+ seasons and one of the first 4 seasons wasn't the best. Unless the show has variable characters or different versions of the show: CSI, Law and Order, Digimon, Sentai shows etc. I think ti's best to let it sleep after that many seasons.
  • I liked the side scrolling Castlevania games more than the ones that took place in 1 castle.
  • DLC isn't necessarily a bad thing for a game when done correctly. The problem is that most devs implement DLC very poorly.
  • Reality tv is somehow more fake than scripted television. I think it might have to do with the fact that the shows keep insisting that it's completely real.

A Link to the Past is very commonly praised as the best 2D Zelda, and sometimes the best Zelda period.

The first Galaxy is generally praised more because of Rosalina.

That's not what I always saw. I always saw either LA or TMC being praised as the best 2D Zelda and people preferring Galaxy 2 over Galaxy 1 because of Yoshi and more challenge and such. But maybe we've been in a bunch of different places.

I liked tales of symphonia 2. People were just expecting too much, like with the compilation of FFVII

I liked Watch underscore dogs. I mean the character direction was a bit questionable but the actual gameplay was good.

I think that the Mario Galaxy games are overrated.

Conversely I think that Sunshine was actually pretty good.

I actually liked the "not in a flying vehicle missions" from rogue squadron 3.

I don't really care for graphics. As long as it doesn't look like it was made ten years before it was actually released then that's good. The gameplay and maybe the story should really matter more.

On a similar note i think that VR and all the hype around it is pointless.

I liked skyward sword, hell it's probably one of my favorite games in the series.

Conversely both phantom hourglass and spirit tracks were disappointing.

I like final fantasy 8. More than 7? Maybe.

Gta 4 > 5.

Touhou games are actually good for the gameplay and i wish I could be bothered to play them more.

I've thought of more!

Melee is quite possibly the worst Super Smash Bros. game.

Daisy is one of the best Mario characters.

Ashley is one of the better-written Mass Effect characters, with actual character flaws and genuine character growth and development.

Skyward Sword's controls are pretty bad and greatly hinder the game.

My issue with Star Fox Zero deals with the story and less of the controls (although I didn't like the controls). It should have been Star Fox 64 2, and not yet ANOTHER retelling of 64. Probably not an uncommon opinion, but *shrugs* eh.

Team Rocket is the best of the Pokemon antagonist teams.

But maybe we've been in a bunch of different places.

Probably.

Final Fantasy VIII is a good game. Not great, but not the worse thing ever. One of my favorites

And on a similar part, Squall is one of my favorite FF protagonists, regardless of his edginess in their early parts of the game

Musou games(Samurai and Dynasty Warriors) are criminally underrated

Pokemon gen 4 is slow, but it's my favorite gen

Mario Sunshine was fun

Skyward Sword is a fine Zelda game

Ocarina of time aged not too good

Persona 4 is overrated

Skyward Sword's controls are pretty bad and greatly hinder the game.

That was the reason why I quitted this game.

Using the wii-mote for controlling the sword was a mess for me, totally imprecise.

I have no fucking idea why this game didn't support the classic controller.

I hated playing platformes with the wii-mote anyways.

Super Mario Bros Wii was also awful to play for me with the mote.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland worked MUCH better for me just because our little pink cute puffball has the ability to fly the entire time.

Let's see:

Phantom Hourglass is punishingly difficult

Majora's Mask 3D> Original Majora's Mask

Smash 4>Brawl>Melee

As much as I like Pokemon Colosseum and XD, those two are fine being the only two "main series" titles to be on a console.

Mass Effect 1 is clunky, but at least has a good story.

I value story over gameplay(I really enjoy most games by Telltale)... mostly, unless I'm playing a game where I can fill in my own a little better.

Ashley is one of the better-written Mass Effect characters, with actual character flaws and genuine character growth and development.

I actually agree with this ten-fold. She's a character that is an overall nice person, a little jaded, but still has some nasty quirks as a character. She also has the privilege of being the only character you have in ME1 that's not a walking mouth-piece for extra codex entries. I'd actually go so far to say that she's the best written character in the series. It's a shame what happened to her in ME3, you barely get to speak to her if you aren't in a romance with her.

• Final Fantasy II (the actual Final Fantasy II, not Final Fantasy IV) is actually a pretty fun game if you don't take progressing the plot seriously at all and just screw around with how nonlinear its world is.
  • I think that RPGs using huge stat and damage numbers (i.e. making five~six-digit HP and damage output commonplace later in the game, having level caps over 100 or even over 1,000, etc.) is just garish and showy and adds nothing to the quality of the gameplay.
  • Forced grinding, even for optional content, is nothing but padding that doesn't test anything but the player's patience. It's a poor substitute for competent level curve and challenge design and its presence is pretty much impossible to justify.
  • The romance arc setup of "male and female character who frankly don't get along all that well suddenly decide to make out for some reason at a terrible moment" annoys the shit out of me and frankly I could not be less invested in such relationships if I tried. Although, granted, I am very picky about romance arcs in general and I fully admit that it would be very hard to work in one that I could actually get invested in within the very tight length of, say, a movie plot. Still, authors interested in writing romance into their stories can do a lot better than just forcing two characters with minimal chemistry together purely for the sake of having a romance subplot. (Or obligatorily pairing up the male and female leads because That's Just How Things Go).
  • The "Always Chaotic Evil" trope really irritates me as well, not only because of the unfortunate implications of it ("Stereotyping an entire biological subset of people is accurate and okay!"), but also because beings with the same level of intelligence as humans logically would not work that way, psychologically nor socially.
  • I very rarely actually have any ships from stories in any medium because I've learned that shipping my own OCs together instead is infinitely more satistfying.

I mostly agree with all of what was said here.

Especially on the romance side. It either doens't interrest me, or can even makes me really angry (FFX.)

The only serie where I really enjoyed the romance was Bravely Second :

(The fact it's one of m favourite music of the game may or may not play a role.)

The whole final dungeon is already great, showing a really grounded Relationship, like it's seen so rarely in video games, but the killer for me was the really end : Altair start using strange veggie-based meataphor because Vega wanted him to start eating vegetables. If this isn't what love is all about, then I don't know what is. And I say that totally unironically.

-That makes me think of another opinion I have : we need more older characters, instead of 16-years going to adventure. They generally ends up being the best (Case in point : Jade from Tales of Abyss, and Will from Tales of Legendia, and Professor Layton.)

It's true, Tidus's attitude isn't exactly one of the best, starting as an arrogant superstar, but, as the game progress, he does mature, to the point that, if It's necessary, he would even sacrifice himself

Nope, he actually get worse. He's never punished for his actions (At least, Luke fon Fabre was treated as wrong in Abyss.), and he's totally manipulative, never saying anything about his state (and being hypocritical and manipulative are 2 major charater flaws in my book.). He doesn't deserves anything he gets. Hs romance with Yuna is, as I staed in aprevious article, a really good look at why Romeo and Juliet isn't a good example of romance.

He isn't even that arrogant in the beginning. He is mostly a comic relief, but I don't have a problem with that. Trying to makes him a hero was a wrong move on their part.

And, once again, everything about this game looks completely fake. Beautifull, sure, but also completely empty, lifeless.

ANd the VA doesn't really helps. (It isn't bad, but it accentuate the fakeness of the whole setting.)

Majora's Mask 3D> Original Majora's Mask.

Mass Effect 1 is clunky, but at least has a good story

I wish that was unpopular I am among the few people that actively dislike the remake for gameplay and story reasons. Because if it was unpopular to like the remake then Nintendo might actual reverse some the stupid changes made to bosses, swimming etc.

Also that is the common view of ME 1.

Here is a couple more opinions.

1. Sunshine is the Best Mario Platformer period.

2. Majora's Mask 3D is a bad remake.

3. Zelda as a series has aged well.

4. Skyward Sword is great and I had very little problem with the controls.

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion actually. There was a bit of a fuss about the controls but the overall reception seems to have been quite good.

Among Nintendo fans yes, General Critics not really from what I see mostly due to the controls. Edited by Locke087

Another unpopular opinion that I remembered just now:

When Satoru Iwata, former CEO of Nintendo passed away last year, as someone who isn't as huge a fan for Nintendo as he used to, I just could not bring myself to care as much. The whole thing afterwards felt too sentimental, too melodramatic. Call me cold, callous, or even a psychopath, but this really is what I felt.

1. Sunshine is the Best Mario Platformer period.

When you try to 100% it, it actually becomes the Worst Mario Platformer period. Blue coins? NINTENDO POWER!

My unpopular opinions

1. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor is the best Wii game, best shooter, best action game, best boss game, best game in general...

2. Xenoblade Chronicles is a slow and boring game. It's not terrible, but it's dangerously close.

3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is the best RPG ever made.

4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a poor sequel that doesn't do the original justice.

5. Mario Kart 8 is so slow on 200cc, it makes Fast Racing Neo's Subsonic league look like F-Zero GX.

Another unpopular opinion that I remembered just now:

When Satoru Iwata, former CEO of Nintendo passed away last year, as someone who isn't as huge a fan for Nintendo as he used to, I just could not bring myself to care as much. The whole thing afterwards felt too sentimental, too melodramatic. Call me cold, callous, or even a psychopath, but this really is what I felt.

Isn't that normal to feel about someone's death when you never knew the person in the first place.

The Sonic Riders series(save for Free Riders, never played it) are quality games and is the best spinoff Sonic the Hedgehog has.

I don't think PersonaQ is or should count as a spinoff of Etrian Odyssey.

1. Fates is boring when you beat it

2. Gran Turismo is the best sim racer ever. (Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun than NFS or Forza)

3. Shiny Pokemon are too damn luck-based for me to bother with them.

4. Kirby is hard!

5. More people need to play TWEWY. (Or any non-FF Square Enix title, for that matter)

Edited by Nohr Noble Gardy

ºPandoras Tower is the best of the 3 Operation Rain Fall games (the others being Xenoblade and Last Story)

ºRune Factory 3 is the best farming-simulating game EVER

ºBloody Roar 2 is the best furry game for non-furries

ºShin Megami Tensei is a better Monster game than Pokémon and Digimon, (plus, it started the monster capturing mechanic and monster "talk" mechanic)

Isn't that normal to feel about someone's death when you never knew the person in the first place.

From what I've seen over at Bulbagarden last year or even in general, it might as well felt like people were prophesising the end of the world.

Thanks for reminding me that. There, another opinion that I agree with, that is unpopular - at least in Bulbagarden. Edited by henrymidfields

Well, I know I said these kind of topics breed pointless arguements, but I do have a contentious opinions of my own:

I don't get why people around here are so insistent on defending Sonic. It's a series in the gutter that can't maintain any kind of quality in the way its contempraries can. When Sega stopped competiting with Nintendo, that's when Sonic lost its place in the world.

When you try to 100% it, it actually becomes the Worst Mario Platformer period. Blue coins? NINTENDO POWER!

This should speak volumes of how highly I think of the base game, that and am not much of a completionist. It is just so fun and fluid to move in Sunshine.

That reminds me...

I think Shiny Pokémon should just be a good surprise that you encounter and brightens your day.

It's also because I have no patience, but I think hunting them... is pointless.

It warps the meaning of finding a shiny, from a lucky encounters , to a painfull chore, filled with tears of rage and regrets.

​They don't "shine" anymore, but glows with a menacing, yet tanatlizing light.

I still have a lot of respect for shiny hunters, because those guys could teach Buddha a lesson.

-Speed running is an art performance, because it's as impressive as it's pointless. (It's the total opposite of everything I stand for in gaming, but I'm in awe ever single time I watch a speed run.)

-Atmosphere is more imortant than story in video games.

Making the game world feels alive and real should be a major priority when making a game.

And when a game adds small details (as simpel as text written or bookshelves, or details about the environment), I always end up liking them more.

On Skyward Sword's controls: they really are very bad in execution.

A decent concept, but there are a few reasons why I think they were poor overall:

-It detracted from combat more than it added, making everything a tedious chore. The "strategy" really wasn't anything harder to figure out than beating a Wind Waker Darknut, at best, due to the obvious positions of exposure. What made it really annoying was... point 3

-Stabbing was overly unresponsive.

-Enemy AI had a bizarre habit of changing defense the moment you swing the sword at the exposed spot, with no indication at all.

So yeah, SS combat can die in a fire somewhere.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I think SS's controls were awesome, maybe near perfect. I think the only flaws were that it was a bit tedious trying to perform the sword slice you wanted, and that it didn't cater well to left-handed people. I think the motion controls were a great idea otherwise and made you feel more like you were actually wielding a sword.

This is one of the reasons I feel SS is the best game in the series and why I have a feeling that Breath of the Wild is going to be a step backward in gameplay, unfortunately.

But this is surely an unpopular opinion, which is why I'm posting it here.

Edited by Anacybele