Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

Wind Waker is the best Zelda game.

Breath of the Wild is shaping up to be the worst.

Xenoblade X is one of the worst Wii U exclusives.

Super Mario Maker isn't fun.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- I don't think Naoto is that great of a character in P4.

[spoiler=P4 spoilers about Naoto]She comes way too late in-game and her arc felt too rushed and tacked on, in my opinion. I also felt that her entire premise was dropped just to make her into a love interest. Particularly, what bothers me is the "Lover Flag" options one has to choose in order to even be able to date her. While her issues are less being uncomfortable in the body she was born in and more about being seen as a competent detective in a male-dominated occupation, I honestly think she embraced her femininity a little too quickly—or, at least, she shouldn't have done it at the request of some teenager dude she just met a couple of months (week?) ago.

IMO Naoto is just a plot device

It feels like they just added her to help the players who still hadn't figured out the killer and gave her gender insecurity (which is generally forgotten after her dungeon) to give her a character

-Megaman 2 is not that great of a game.

-Metroid 1 has not aged well at all.

-Not sure if this is really unpopular, but IMO the GBA Super Mario Advance games are all better than their SNES counterparts.

-Limiting lives and continues are a holdover from arcade games and are just fake difficulty. Games should let you retry stages as much as you want/need.

-The Dream Land Kirby games (DL2, DL3, and 64) are all kinda meh.

...that's about what I can think of at the moment.

I thought of one more, and that is that I much prefer the DS remake of Chrono Trigger to the original SNES version. This is primarily because of the script changes regarding Frog since I didn't like his faux old/middle english speech in the original and because some of the smaller script changes felt better to me. However, I do understand why others are more attached to the original script or thought Frog's old dialogue had more character.

Edited by Ambling Falchion

• I've heard that it's apparently really popular, but Mega Man 3 is my least favorite Mega Man Classic game. I find that it's really evident how rushed the game was.

I think it's bad game design to make it so that every enemy a given ability exists to thwart is immune to that ability, i.e. making all magic-based enemies immune to being Silenced. You obviously don't want to make the enemies easy to trivialize or anything, but abilities have no reason to exist if they're only ever effective against enemies there's no point in using them against.

Game designers should either commit to making a fully-player-generated and player-defined custom protagonist (or at least a silent protagonist), or commit to making the main character just as much a fleshed-out, developed, and opinionated character as the rest of the cast. Just making a character's personality really bland and uninteresting to make them more "relatable" and to facilitate players projecting onto them just results in some of the most boring protagonists in existence.

I really like antagonists/final boss battles similar to the ones in EarthBound Beginnings and Pacifist Undertale. I realize they'd lose their impact if they got done too frequently, but I honestly think that's a better and more emotionally-effective way of doing a final battle with a tragic sympathetic antagonist than just "welp, it's regrettable, but we gotta kill ya".

I would be totally okay with never seeing another skinny brown/black-haired male high schooler with inexplicable special properties and no personality ever again in anything.

I understand that there are reasons why most main characters in RPGs are this way, but I'd honestly be interested in seeing more RPGs that made the main character something other than the Balanced Physical Fighter, maybe with some magic. Preferably a class/party role that's significantly different from that.

In RPGs, I strongly prefer gathering a party of characters from all sorts of backgrounds as the story progresses to just having a full team right off the bat.

Not really a gaming opinion, but related to it:

I prefer the Runway Guys over Game Grumps.

I usually don't do rants but:

If I may ask something why are Game Grumps so popular? I watched their videos, and it's so frustrating to watch them. They barely pay attention to the game and when they make a mistake on the game, because they weren't paying attention, they actually blame the game, and say it's bad design.

And when I watched the Zelda Sequelitis video, I was dumbfounded. Was Arin just looking for an excuse to bash on Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword?

Sorry if I'm ranting and I don't mean to bash, but seriously, why are they so popular

Sorry, it's just something that always bothered me.

Game Grumps is more of a comedy channel than gaming channel. The Runaway Guys is them actually playing the game and is basically a multiplayer Let's Play.

They get compared a bit, but both of their (plural of basis) are entirely different.

The OOT Sequelitis also does have legit points about Ocarina of Time's problems. I do agree that he may have actually made that video just to bash Skyward Sword.

And then on Grump Out a one episode series literally started and ended with Barry bashing Skyward Sword. For the clouds being brown.

I understand that there are reasons why most main characters in RPGs are this way, but I'd honestly be interested in seeing more RPGs that made the main character something other than the Balanced Physical Fighter, maybe with some magic. Preferably a class/party role that's significantly different from that.

If it helps, Dragon Quest II's main character is not the jack of all trades of the party members, that's filled by the Prince of Cannock/Salmatoria instead. He instead is the brute force character, and gets no magic at all. Edited by Glaceon Mage

Honestly, that is the archetypical main character of old school RPGs.

Just the first one I thought of, since the Prince of Midenhall/Lorasia is the only DQ main character with that kind of build. The rest tend to mix decent physical attack with mid level spells of both offensive and defensive magic, though they tend to lean toward the defensive magic more than the offensive.

1. I think people are being whining babies when they hate on FF13.

2. I think Nintendo and others' hidden gems are underrated.

3. I have a neutral opinion of OOT.

4. Nintendo should have bought Rare, not Microsoft, though then we wouldn't have Yooka-Laylee.

5. More games need to come to PSN/the VC

6. I think Microsoft should try making a handheld.

Is that enough?

Edited by Nohr Noble Gardy

It might be my memories playing tricks on me, it wouldn't be the first time, but didn't we had a unpopular opinions topic already ?
Oh, no matter.

- I never, ever seen a true shiny pokemon of my life, and frankly, I don't really care.

- Speaking of Pokemon, I believe that most of their recent design decision, like say, the EXP share giving exp,to all the team, are good.

- I remember when the Mass Effect series came out and everyone was overhyping it as if it was the messiahs of video games... I never did get why, especially after playing it, I just thought it was boring. More or less the same with DA.

- Even though I enjoyed the Metroidvanias more... I like Castlevania Lord of Shadow, I honestly believe it's a very solid game.

- I don't think Dark Souls is an hard game, I wouldn't call it an easy game obviously, but I wouldn't call it the hardest game ever, nor would I call it unfair. Heck, even when the game trash you (Putting a Humanity/Something in a hard to go to spot), I found it fair.

'Prepare to Die', well duh, dying is just a gameplay mechanic, a mechanic that make the series good.

I'm contemplating redoing SMT: Strange Journey, I say 'contemplating' because seriously... this games just hate you.

- Speaking of SMT:SJ, I got to be the only SMT players out of there that doesn't like the OST. There's some music I like of course, but I just can't stand the militaristic feels.

- Oh, and about Dark Souls, I think the NG+ are BS, the ennemies are PV/stamina bags until you just can't do anything, that's not fun to me. DSII's was nice for adding things, but... it's not that much.

Huh, that there's in my head right now.

Edited by B.Leu

Game Grumps is more of a comedy channel than gaming channel. The Runaway Guys is them actually playing the game and is basically a multiplayer Let's Play.

They get compared a bit, but both of their (plural of basis) are entirely different.

I don't think I've ever heard TRG compared to Game Grumps before. The channel I mostly hear compared to Game Grumps is the Super Beard Bros. and that's mostly because of half the people in the comments talking about how Beard Bros are basically Game Grumps but better.

I remember trying to watch Game Grumps back when it first started with Egoraptor and JonTron, but something I've come to realize is that I really, really do not like Egoraptor or his sense of humor.

What do you think of EarthBound's final boss?

Setting aside my grievances with how Itoi concluded Giegue and the aliens' role in the story, I think it's actually a really unique and interesting final boss fight, especially for a SNES game; he's one of the earliest instances I'm aware of of a major boss fight being designed more to play on the player's emotions in a certain way than to be actually challenging (the battle against him in EarthBound Beginnings being another example). I like the "choreography" and flow of the battle, and bringing in the player's name unexpectedly near the end like that was a nice touch. Story-wise, I really enjoy the idea of a main antagonist who's plainly and simply too powerful for the heroes to defeat through violence, forcing an alternative course of action. Admittedly, this was also something the first MOTHER game did, but I think EarthBound did the atmosphere of the encounter better; Giygas' design and having him be the background, especially once he fragments, really adds to the feeling of being up against an adversary so vast and powerful as to be beyond comprehension.

Even if the only unique ability he actually has to his name is a full-party PK Freeze α and you can utterly trivialize the fight with the right Pendant setup.

If it helps, Dragon Quest II's main character is not the jack of all trades of the party members, that's filled by the Prince of Cannock/Salmatoria instead. He instead is the brute force character, and gets no magic at all.

That does sound kinda interesting! I've been looking into getting more into Dragon Quest for a while now (I only own IX and the GBC version of III), so I may try out DQII sometime!

By the way, a bit off-topic, but since you seem to be SF's resident Dragon Quest expert, is VII worth getting? It looks cool and I've been eyeing the 3DS remake for a while now, but my budget isn't such that $40.00 USD is an amount of money I'm willing to throw at something on a whim.

Edited by Topaz Light

- I don't think Naoto is that great of a character in P4.

[spoiler=P4 spoilers about Naoto]She comes way too late in-game and her arc felt too rushed and tacked on, in my opinion. I also felt that her entire premise was dropped just to make her into a love interest. Particularly, what bothers me is the "Lover Flag" options one has to choose in order to even be able to date her. While her issues are less being uncomfortable in the body she was born in and more about being seen as a competent detective in a male-dominated occupation, I honestly think she embraced her femininity a little too quickly—or, at least, she shouldn't have done it at the request of some teenager dude she just met a couple of months (week?) ago.

Oh hey, that's pretty much my opinion of her.

I feel like her personal struggles are by far the least well portrayed; while a bit in your face, the other characters dealt with easily identifiable problems and we got to see how it affected them in their social links (barring maybe Chie's, who, along with Naoto, has the worst party social), but Naoto's problems are never really portrayed in the same light. She wants to be taken seriously as a detective and not be seen as a child, then admits that it's just a matter of time before that problem goes away. She also says it's a male-dominated profession, but we never actually see the consequences of how it is to be a woman working as a detective, we're just informed she's not comfortable with it. There's just a lot of telling and very little showing aside from that hotspring scene I suppose.

She should probably have joined earlier and had a more focused personal issue to deal with. I mean, not even her social link revolves around it, unlike the rest of the cast, and it's just so tedious. "A thief broke into me and my grampa's house and only stole my childhood items, and the thief is leaving clues indicating he knows me very well and has done so for a long time...I wonder who it could possibly be."

6. I think Microsoft should try making a handheld.

About that... I largely prefer handhelds to consoles. It's because of ly way of life, but the added value of handhelds compared to both Computers and Smartphones makes them the supperior choice in nearly every case (unless it's a Nintendo console.)

-Despite Sony not having a single clue about what they were doing, and not understanding the console's strength, the PS Vita is still good. I never had to regret buying it.

That does sound kinda interesting! I've been looking into getting more into Dragon Quest for a while now (I only own IX and the GBC version of III), so I may try out DQII sometime!

By the way, a bit off-topic, but since you seem to be SF's resident Dragon Quest expert, is VII worth getting? It looks cool and I've been eyeing the 3DS remake for a while now, but my budget isn't such that $40.00 USD is an amount of money I'm willing to throw at something on a whim.

DQIX Hero starts is a true jack of all trades, master of none, which may be different from the balanced fighter (every fighter will be stronger, every mages will have better magic.)...

About DQVII... It depends how many time you have,since it is a really long (and slow) game, and it will still be at least an hour before you have your 1st fight. It's designed around many seemingly unrelated stories (DQ is really great at story vignettes liek those, and I think it's one of their best uses of this format). The story are usually pretty bittersweet.

If you like classic RPGs, it's a really sure choice.

Edited by Tamanoir

\

I'd say yes, since Dragon Quest VII is my second favorite Dragon Quest game after Dragon Quest VI. It builds off what VI did pretty well, though I also think VI is a bit more balanced.

I've played both the Playstation and 3DS translations/versions, and I think the 3DS one is superior overall. There are some changes in the remake I don't like, but compared to what I do, I'd say the remake is better.

Do be warned DQVII is the longest game in the series, to an infamous degree (binders of legend).

..and that II is infamously hard.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Setting aside my grievances with how Itoi concluded Giegue and the aliens' role in the story, I think it's actually a really unique and interesting final boss fight, especially for a SNES game; he's one of the earliest instances I'm aware of of a major boss fight being designed more to play on the player's emotions in a certain way than to be actually challenging (the battle against him in EarthBound Beginnings being another example). I like the "choreography" and flow of the battle, and bringing in the player's name unexpectedly near the end like that was a nice touch. Story-wise, I really enjoy the idea of a main antagonist who's plainly and simply too powerful for the heroes to defeat through violence, forcing an alternative course of action. Admittedly, this was also something the first MOTHER game did, but I think EarthBound did the atmosphere of the encounter better; Giygas' design and having him be the background, especially once he fragments, really adds to the feeling of being up against an adversary so vast and powerful as to be beyond comprehension.

Even if the only unique ability he actually has to his name is a full-party PK Freeze α and you can utterly trivialize the fight with the right Pendant setup.

Cool, I was just curious to hear your thoughts since your opinion on Earthbound Beginnings was pretty interesting and it's a type of final boss that you don't really see anywhere (except in Earthbound Beginnings amirite). I think you bring up a lot of good points! It's pretty cool how much thought went into the fight.

What are your grievances with how he included their roles in the story though? Again, this isn't really something I've put too much (any?) thought into, so it'd be cool to hear another perspective.

About that... I largely prefer handhelds to consoles. It's because of ly way of life, but the added value of handhelds compared to both Computers and Smartphones makes them the supperior choice in nearly every case (unless it's a Nintendo console.)

You can play more games on a computer by far (not to mention using a computer for like...a bunch of other things) AND computers are portable if you have a laptop. Reaaaaaally not getting how they're the superior choice and why Nintendo consoles of all things are the sole exception.

Edited by Refa

smash players and fgc players generally don't get alpng on media. irl is a different story.

anyway:

smash bros melee > everything

i don't like persona 5's art style

old fe > new fe

i wish i could say something about P3 and P4 but i have no preference.

gen 4 of pokemon was good except for d/p.

kirby super star ultra is the best side-scroller.

smash bros melee > everything

old fe > new fe

gen 4 of pokemon was good except for d/p.

Are these really unpopular?

Melee may be divisive, but it has a thriving competitive community to the extent its hard to view it as unpopular.

Second one's also divisive, but I don't think it's really unpopular overall since there's crowds for both new and old FE.

Third one I'm pretty sure is a common opinion.

Not that such an opinion should go here anyway, since it specifically says "besides Fire Emblem" in the title. On Serenes it seems as if the majority prefer the older games anyway, so it's certainly not an unpopular opinion here.

You can play more games on a computer by far (not to mention using a computer for like...a bunch of other things) AND computers are portable if you have a laptop. Reaaaaaally not getting how they're the superior choice and why Nintendo consoles of all things are the sole exception.

As great as laptop are, you can't really take your laptop with you in the bath(room).

Handlelds are all around easier to take with you everywhere, since they're smaller and lighter.

​I was saying superior to consoles, not superior to PC (and I should have said they're more suited to my tastes anyway. Bad wording on my part here.)

I'm really happy with my laptop (and I've discovered PS2 games run just fine on it. Yay!)

Btw, the only time I played for emulation was for handleds (Vita, more precisely) actually (since paying for an inferior product (no save states) would be idiotic otherwise). (I don't think it's unpopular.)

For Nintendo consoles, it's mostly Wii games using the Wiimote. Or Wii U and the Gamepad.

I guess Xbox Games using Kinect would counts as well, but I forgot about them.

It's harder (if not impossible) to replicate, so they may get a pass (and Nintedno Games are Nintendo exclusive, while other games are on all consoles, including PCs. Since we're on a FE site, that's also relevant.)