Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

...I'm pretty sure this is an unpopular opinion:

I prefer KH1 over KH2.

While I am aware that KH2 has made improvements over the first (obviously), for some reason, I just can't get into it.

It isn't, actually. There are a lot of people who seem to prefer KH1 to KH2, mainly because they prefer the more simple gameplay and the story being a sort of fairy tail.

Mighty as well post an unpopular opinion:

I like FF2's level up system.

I mean, I'm aware of Its problems, but I admit that I enjoy it far more than the traditional one.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't, actually. There are a lot of people who seem to prefer KH1 to KH2, mainly because they prefer the more simple gameplay and the story being a sort of fairy tail.

Mighty as well post an unpopular opinion:

I like FF2's level up system.

I mean, I'm aware of Its problems, but I admit that I enjoy it far more than the traditional one.

I like it too - all it needs is some fine-tuning and it would be really refreshing.

people complain too much about series they're never going to play, especially cod, sports games, 'violent video games' (like in this very thread) when they're not even bad. in fact most of them are better than average for as much as people consider them rehashes and mainstream (it does not make you a cool hipster to dislike these games).

ff13 is decent and ff8 is the worst final fantasy i've ever played and one of my most hated games in general

Edited by Tryhard

ff8 is the worst final fantasy i've ever played and one of my most hated games in general

I don't think this is unpopular. It seems that half of the people that play FF8 share this opinion, and the other half absolutely adore it. (It's pretty amusing thats there's no middle ground.)

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I don't think that All the Bravest is that bad, though the fact that it's free on Android is probably the main reason I don't hate it.

Edited by Reloaded

-Dillon should have replaced Sonic in Smash 4

-Wolf should have been DLC like Lucas

-There should have been a Tales character in place of Pac-Man

-DLC fighters shouldn't have been so limited

-Corrin shouldn't have been in the game

-Cloud should have had his KH attire as an alt

-I hope Smash 4 isn't the last game

-Dillon should have replaced Sonic in Smash 4

-Wolf should have been DLC like Lucas

-There should have been a Tales character in place of Pac-Man

-DLC fighters shouldn't have been so limited

-Corrin shouldn't have been in the game

-Cloud should have had his KH attire as an alt

-I hope Smash 4 isn't the last game

The majority of these aren't unpopular. The only ones I can see as potentially unpopular are the Dillon and removed Pac-man ones, and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe the Corrin thing.

I don't think this is unpopular. It seems that half of the people that play FF8 share this opinion, and the other half absolutely adore it. (It's pretty amusing thats there's no middle ground.)

There is a middle ground: I love the music. I honestly think it had one of the best scores, but I didn't like much else about it. Predominately, Rinoa x Squall and the Junction system.

One that's unpopular but not really negatively...

I don't think the Undertale fandom is as bad as people make it out to be. Is it cringy? Yeah, kinda. I blame the fact a lot of kids got into it, but I can't exactly say it's the worst. They have created some cool things (the fanmade Chara fight, the really popular one by Dreemur Reborn, any of RichaadEB's metal mixes) as much as they have been kind of... ehh.

This is coming from someone who has been in what is called "the worst fandom of all time." Namely the Homestuck fandom. I can say Undertale barely holds a candle to the stuff I've seen in there.

If this doesn't make much sense, forgive me. I honestly thought of this while half conscious due to meds. Thought it'd be unpopular enough to warrant a post.

As far as things unrelated to it...

1) I think the best fighting game franchise is King of Fighters. The best 3D franchise though is either Virtua Fighter or Dead or Alive.

2) Prototype > Infamous

3) I really don't like McHanzo or Pharmercy. Did I say this before? Idk...

4) As a whole, SKyrim was my favorite Elder Scrolls game. I liked it more then Morrowind and Oblivion. The only thing I really preferred from the older games is the perk system kinda felt... ehhh? And the Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim was genuinely awful/boring.

5) Did I say this before too? I can't remember. But I didn't think RE6 is a bad game and I enjoyed it as a whole more then I did RE5. The only really disappointing parts were Chris and Ada's campaigns.

6) Five Nights at Freddy's is this weird thing where I can't say I 100% dislike it? I enjoyed the third game if I can be entirely honest, thought Bonnie and Springtrap were cool, and even have a plush of Bonnie my boyfriend got me. That being said, I"m baffled how it got so popular, don't understand why people like the fox, and never found the jumpscares even remotely creepy.

7) Rule of Rose and Fatal Frame are scarier then any Silent Hill.

FF3 is the best FF

Of the two I played a bit of, I liked 3 way more than 6.

Also I'm pretty sure the first Mario Galexy is one of the most popular Mario platformers of all time so liking it isn't exactly unpopular.

The original or the remake ?

Because, while I'm fond of the original FF3 the way I'm fond of FE2 (a rough diamond, in short. Have lot to love, lot of interresting points (that are never developped : In FF3, the balance between Darkness and Light) )but haven't aged that well), I have trouble with the remake (like buffing ennemies considerably, since less coud be shown on screen, no save options, limiting classes changes. A lot of gameplay choices here are a disatser,(some comming from the original that should have been solved on the remake, a few added) and it's the only game I had to cheat to beat.).

Edited by Tamanoir

The versions I played were the DS version for 3 and the SNES version for 6.

I never got far in either because I got distracted by the superior RPGs (DQ) and Touhou, but from the little I played I liked III more.

-Innovation is more important in more long running rpg series than staying true to the roots.
I dislike dragon quest because there is zero to almost no innovation in the series.

-Melee is an awfully designed game.

-Story is much less important than the characters in the story.

-Tales of Symphonia is one of the more lackluster Tales games.

-I like Persona 3 and the portable version equally, they both have their own charm to them.

-I don't like Street Fighter as a fighting game series (plays fighting games casually)

I'm really tired I dunno if these are really too unpopular but i'm sleepy so i just wanted to post stuff

Edited by Sophie

-Better graphics don't make a good game.

-MOBA can be a test of skill, even if you have bad teammates

-In your story, if your vilain is poorly made, everything will fall apart really quickly

-Sc2 is not dying

-Better graphics don't make a good game.

I'd go even further than that. Ifyou have the choices between better graphisms, or any kind of game improvement (being it gameplay wise, like better fluidity, or being able to show more things at once; or adding more elements to the story), then in 90% of the cases, its' fine to pass on game graphisms.

Beside, I'm not a fan of "realism" in games. It's a senseless search.

I prefer graphisms that are interresting/unique instead.

I'd go even further than that. Ifyou have the choices between better graphisms, or any kind of game improvement (being it gameplay wise, like better fluidity, or being able to show more things at once; or adding more elements to the story), then in 90% of the cases, its' fine to pass on game graphisms.

I agree with this. If anything, I prioritize entertaining and/or innovative game play mechanics first, which is then followed by story/characters and then graphics.

Okay, so my unpopular opinion . . .

- I don't think video game deaths are that tragic. Like, any of them. Or, at the very least, I have yet to encounter one that has broken me down completely. I can think of maybe one instance in which I literally cried over the death, and it was more so the circumstances surrounding it than the death of the character themselves. (It was in the first stage of Clocktower 3 for any who was wondering.)

- Taking a moment to step away from vidya games, I think that The Walking Dead is overrated. And this is coming from someone who watched it on a regular basis. I recently watched a set of review videos for The Walking Dead seasons 1 and 2 by a YT user named yourmoviesucks.org and, I have to say, I pretty much agreed with a lot of his views and nitpicks about the show. Well, the first two seasons, that is.

- Taking a moment to step away from vidya games, I think that The Walking Dead is overrated. And this is coming from someone who watched it on a regular basis. I recently watched a set of review videos for The Walking Dead seasons 1 and 2 by a YT user named yourmoviesucks.org and, I have to say, I pretty much agreed with a lot of his views and nitpicks about the show. Well, the first two seasons, that is.

I agree. Actually, I think both the comic and the show are very overrated.

I have quite a few non-gaming unpopular opinions that pretty much everyone I know thinks I'm crazy for.

-The 2003 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon is the best iteration of the TMNT by far. It completely trumps every comic, film, video game, other TV shows, and every other version of the franchise.

-Zootopia is the best film Disney has ever made, being better than even The Lion King, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast.

-Kung Fu Panda is Dreamworks' best film franchise, trumping Shrek, How To Train Your Dragon, and all the rest.

-The Incredibles, Toy Story, and Ratatouille are the only really good films Pixar has made, all the rest range from being only so-so to bad.

-The Force Awakens is the worst Star Wars movie.

-The first three Michael Bay Transformers films are good.

-Game of Thrones is a terrible book series and a terrible TV show.

-The Shining with Jack Nicholson is dull and boring, the book is better.

-The first Batman film with Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton is also dull and boring.

-Miles Morales is a terrible character and a terrible Spider-Man, he's just a dull fake wannabe who should never have been created.

-The Mist's ending in the novella was better than the film's.

-The Simpsons is still good and funny through at least season 17.

-Elfen Lied, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and The End of Evangelion are all terrible.

And...that's all I can think of for now.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

-The Force Awakens is the worst Star Wars movie.

I wouldn't go that far but I do respect the Force Awakens the least. I think it both wants to be like the original trilogy so much and not be like the prequels so badly that its get a bit cynical.

A good example of this would be that its back to the rebels vs stormtrooper setup despite the heroes being on the side of the legitimate government which by virtue of being the legitimate government can't be a rebellion.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I'm fairly confident these are unpopular. First some very general ones:

- I prefer anime, cartoons and so on to real-live people acting out roles. Similarly I prefer less realistic artstyles to the more realistic ones. This is because I have a hard time taking a show seriously when it has unrealistic elements next to a real person (be it flying, dragons, aliens, chainmail bikinis or whatever). Also, I simply don't enjoy seeing people suffer, get hurt or die even if I know they're acting.

- Due to above reasons, the best shows with real people in them are talk shows, cooking shows and reality shows (both are genres that are hard to do well, but that shouldn't be an unpopular one)

- Horror as a genre is stupid and I can't understand why people enjoy it

- Same goes for watching sports or playing sports games (fiction about sports is fine when there's more to it than the sport)

- Fanservicey character designs, while incredibly stupid, can be perfectly ignorable and won't take away from an otherwise good story or character if they aren't too in-your-face (for instance, I never had a issue with Padma's skirt in Ace Attorney 6). Also, character designs with fanservice elements can be good.

Then some that are specifically about games:

- I enjoy building/crafting mechanics, but games that are all about those bore me to death (like Minecraft). Such mechanics should be a tool, not the end goal. Incidentally, best game with mechanics like this is This War of Mine.

- Game mechanics about marrying your characters and having them bear children to be used in future generations can be interesting and fun (there are several buts that aren't unpopular to this, however).

- On that note, Agarest: Generations of War isn't that bad of a game.

- Europa Universalis IV is the best history-inspired strategy game.

- Mobile games with micropayment systems (such as gacha) are a perfectly decent form of game design. Most of such games' failings come from reasons unrelated or indirectly related to micropayments. (However, I'm not saying that micropayments can't be done badly or can't make a game bad)

Finally, some non-gaming ones:

- There was nothing annoying about Georgia Barnes of Masterchef Australia 2015

- I don't like or am neutral about most classic "must-see" anime like Evangelion, Dragonball Z or Monster

- I don't enjoy Star Wars

My general media ones:

• I too don't like horror/zombie genres. The only ones I enjoyed from the two? Scary Movie 3 for the former, and Michael Jackson's Thriller for the latter.
  • The only TV show I watch with any sort of regularity nowadays is the news. No, really. (Although, I did enjoy the Colbert Report and John Stewart's the Daily Show. They were good.)
  • I don't know how unpopular this is, but I tend to favour stuff that are more grounded in real-life - though this isn't a hard-and-fast rule.
  • As a Japanese, with some exceptions, I could not care less about J-Pop. (The general rule would be unpopular with my compatriots, the exceptions would probably be more popular, however.) I'd prefer to listen to classical or jazz music.
  • I'm almost always a latecomer to a fad. (See below for a specific example.)

More specific ones:

• Also unsure how unpopular this is, but I lost all interest in reading Harry Potter since Book 4. Reading 300 pages each for the first three books and then suddenly jumping up to 1000 pages thereafter really felt like the author was padding the word amount. (She probably didn't, but it turned me off all the same.)
  • I only got into Pokémon after the craze started to hit amongst my American friends in '99. Before then, I didn't care. Being a recent returnee/kikoku-shijo from the US, I only got into the craze because of Pokémon starting to become internationally popular.

Another video game one:

• I also don't know how unpopular this is, but for a long time, I dislike the GC and GBA libraries the most. Though, this will have to change, due to the even more pathetic Wii U library. (At least GBA introduced me to Mother 1+2, and Fire Emblem: Binding Blade (my first FE game!), two games which I love to this day.)
Edited by henrymidfields

• Animes are boring unless these are in videogames

• Chip and Dale are my favorite Disney characters; so Chip and Dale The Rescue Rangers is also my favorite Disney cartoon series

Sylvester and Tweety are my favorite Looney Tunes characters.

Ja Ja Binks is one of the most annoying movie characters in existence and ruined Star Wars I for me.

The classic Star Wars parts are still the best ones.

The 80s were the best decade in terms of music, movies, clothes and hairstyle. Also the birth of videogames.

I'm not a big fan of animated Disney movies. Prefer still classic ones.

I only liked watching The Simpsons when I was young.

• Ja Ja Binks is one of the most annoying movie characters in existence and ruined Star Wars I for me.

. . .please show me which Star Wars fandoms think Jar Jar Binks is well-liked

or a possible Sith lord

• Ja Ja Binks is one of the most annoying movie characters in existence and ruined Star Wars I for me.
  • The classic Star Wars parts are still the best ones.

These are both extremely popular.

Some more from me:

-The Water Temple in Ocarina of Time is not nearly as annoying or hard as most people make it out to be. The Great Bay dungeon in Majora's Mask is much, MUCH worse, more confusing, convoluted, and honestly just poorly designed. In fact, the majority of MM's dungeons, as few as there are in that game, are among the worst in the series.

-Navi is not annoying and is one of the better partners in the Zelda series.

Non-gaming related:

-The third X-Men movie (The Last Stand) is actually pretty good.

-First Class is the worst X-Men movie.

. . .please show me which Star Wars fandoms think Jar Jar Binks is well-liked

or a possible Sith lord

These are both extremely popular.

Oh... ok!

Tbh I somewhat expected that I'm the only one who can't stand this dude. ;)

I'd speculate that the interest in Star Wars depends on the generations.

The older people who grew up with the older parts still like them more of the newer ones because of their nostalgic charme and the actors (Hamill, Fisher...), while the younger people might prefer the later parts because they seem to be more modern.

(I can only guess because I'm not fond with the Star Wars fandom anymore nowadays)