Dream of Five is dead - here are the last drafts of the scripts

Parrhesia

It's a shame that it didn't get to be completed. I won't lie and say I had the same fondness of it that other people did, but nonetheless, I could tell that there was a ton of effort put into the hack and I respect that more than anything else such as my petty opinions on it. It's a shame that you guys couldn't find a way to simply "end" the story even if it ended a bit earlier than you wanted.

I should also note that you shouldn't beat yourself up on the writing aspect. Writing is one of those things that's simply hard to do. It comes with time and practice, and it's a talent that a lot of people don't have, and even after copious amounts of practice, still haven't mastered. I can't write plots to save my life and all I can really write is character interactions... Problem is, I can't make good characters. You should hold your head up high that as a 14 year old you took on such a large project.

Edited by Augestein

Got to be honest, I'm not particularly surprised. Too silent for too long; the FEE3 submission thing looked hopeful, but I thought it strange it wasn't Astra making the submission as in previous FEE3s. Now I know why.

I'm sad to see it outright buried though. It was the first hack that I properly got into, the thing that drew me onto Serenes in the first place. The worldbuilding may have not been the best now I think back to it, but it wasn't that bad and there were a good few memorable levels to make up for it (the two levels in Musain where Renair's separated from the majority of her gang come to mind). Overall, it was still one of the better FE hacks.

I don't suppose there's the possibility of a rough outline of where the story was going to go? Most of us never saw past Ch. 15 (and that was only in an FEE3 vid). It would have been nice to know just how you planned on ending it...

Edited by Wayward Winds

I don't know if it was ever released past C15, but I'm pretty sure a couple of chapters had been put into the game. I don't think I ever wrote scripts past both versions of 15, though.

Given that I was bound to sticking to map data, I'd have still needed to get the Tyrant to summon dragons - probably, like, intentionally animating skeletons, not just fucking up this time. From there;

The original plan involved a global conspiracy where the global illuminati were orchestrating revolutions everywhere because ???, anyway, Renair would quash the secession movement in Aukema, reclaim her nobility and then keep moving through Vishara to Gral because ???. 'The Five' that were having a Dream were Varkade (who was the party's needlessly spiteful tactician for a while because ???), Coraline Farrell (then Sarka), Fleur, xin'Khen (from the Onduris trainwreck) and uh... I don't remember the fifth guy.

Again, most of this came from an outline Astra plotted out in like, 2010. This would've had like, 35 chapters, not even counting sidestories or the routesplit.

When I came back to the project I recognised that it was never going to get that far. Having foreshadowed Renair's nobility more effectively this time, she would reclaim her noble title, fight the secession off in Aukema and ensure peace in the realm - that would probably be it. Maybe like, Chapter 24-25.

But... But, the tale of the invincible swordfighter Renair and Hurlbat! ;-;

Nah I kid, it's too bad but hey, it happens. I know the feeling. You, Dan, Lumi, and the others did good work for as long as you were willing to fancy the idea of keeping the - ahem - dream alive. And was a good ride for sure, and it helped propel my drive to pursue FE ROM hacking more than once, regardless of how well or poor said pursuits ended up. Cheers for the good time, Ciaran.

okay to this day i deny hurlbat was my fault but annie thinks it was and no primary evidence remains

I'm glad people liked it, though, and hopefully it's inspired others to do better.

Haha it was fun pouncing on people when they said something on opposition to the hack like 4 years ago. I went back to read the first few pages of the topic and got feels. Time really is a cruel beast.

Sad to see this go, but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles. It was revolutionary for its time but things have changed a lot since then.

I won't miss the godawful Renair Dairies though. Really, really won't miss those.

I'll miss that Skype chat more than anything, though. You guys unwittingly helped me through a really lonely time in my life, which is incidentally how I ended up picking up ROM hacking to begin with. RIP :')

'Twas a good run, I'll miss some of those characters, might reuse some of those motherfuckers (read: the ones I redesigned like 20 times) somewhere else down the line

but alas, life is life, I'm fairly busy with IRL now with work and relationship and my side programming projects outside of work, (and occasionally, art), so having to also juggle another project on top of those is quite tough. In a way it's somewhat of a relief that I don't have to deal with quite as much in life, I guess.

Progress definitely halted significantly when most of the team started going to college. It's quite a timesink.

DoF was an emotional trainwreck for me and I'm glad it's pretty much buried at this point.

When worldbuilding weekends fall through the floor for 3 months in a row and you're trying to stitch the plot back together with twig needles and spider silk while meeting impossible demands (looking at you, Visharan economy), it gets to a point where progress is stalled. I pretty much had to ask Ciaran to come back and gut the entire story to make cohesion a thing. I didn't feel like I was being taken seriously and the 180 Dan did when Ciaran spat the same ideas out at him while being met with favor instead of being dismissive is still astonishing to me.

It got to a point where I was the lead (and only) support writer (none of which were inserted due to Dan's unwillingness to format text) and then also ended up taking charge of fleshing out undeveloped and boring characters with backstories and more than one dimension of personality. It was so frustrating to be badgered with "where are my supports" and respond with "when I get properly credited" for the past 2 or 3 years.

During that time, we were planning on moving to FExna, so Lumi and I were taking an in-depth look at classes on the whole, branched promotions, personal skills, and class skills, and even class sets. Since I was gutting the entirety of Onduris, we were also going to visually rework the country as a whole with a cohesive story (didn't happen since I gave up by the end of the Musain rework) and bring a Byzantine vibe with entirely new sprites for everyone with lineage from there. We were really looking forward to bringing you guys a treasure box full of really great stuff, but alas it wasn't meant to be.

If anyone wants me to do an AMA regarding DoF plot and how it was like working with the team, let me know in the thread.

I had trouble on DoF on my first playthrough, but on future playthroughs I appreciated the gameplay a lot more. I was never able to LP it, mostly because I knew it would be a many-months-long affair, but I did like it when I played it. Thanks for posting this so we can all get some closure, rather than letting things be eternally up in the air.

Aw man. it's pretty heartbreaking to see this go. A year ago, when I saw the portraits in this game, I was blown away. I never thought that pieces of artwork with only 16 colors could be so amazing. Seeing all those cool portraits gave me a drive to get better at making FE sprites, and the game's portrait style heavily influenced mine. It was a good run though, and thanks for the closure and all that.

Edited by CobyTheGoober

This is probably the most depressing news I've heard all day. I loved this project to death, everything was so amazing and taking another look at it recently made me love it all the more. It was one of my favorite games to play in high school and it could very well be my favorite Fire Emblem game period. It's going to be really sad to see it go, but I hope for the best for everyone who worked on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I haven't been on this forum in years and I'm super late to this topic, but I always hoped you guys might poke me on Skype to get my FE GUI skills up and going again. IRL kinda fucked me out of hacking a few years ago but I'll miss collabing with Dan, Lumi, Ciaran, Cam, Feaw, Eric, Agro, Arch, Yeti and everybody else who helped out with that project and/or were in the old Team Overtroll chat.

It was a good run and I still look back fondly on my high school days pretty much just because of you guys. I miss those days and all of you gus and if any of you ever decides to do another project and needs a battle frame/statsheet inserted, give me that poke!

rip dof

Edit: funny story, I'm writing a tool report on HxD for my 4th year networking class ATM and it brought the nostalgia flooding back to me.

Edited by Jubby