Err... Does it really have to be...

Frosty

I've been observing across different Let's Plays done by other folks but does it have to be always a perfect / no-screw up run?

It's kinda bugging me...

No. Crisply-edited is likely better but there aren't really many (any? I'm definitely not one myself) on this forum, it's a more casual-style LP community.

My personal approach to errors is to be organic, but use discretion. I like imprinting the first run in full whether it fails or succeeds, then using personal discretion figuring out how many subsequent attempts to throw in (like in FFTA a second take won't be much more interesting for the audience, so I just skip to the end).

Edited by Parrhesia

I've been observing across different Let's Plays done by other folks but does it have to be always a perfect / no-screw up run?

It's kinda bugging me...

Depends on what you mean. If it's a mistake in the game, those are fine, but if someone got a phone call or something, I feel those should be edited out.

If someone's commenting over recorded and edited footage, I highly prefer if they don't show multiple attempts of the same segment of the game. It's fine if they want to point out how tough one opponent was by showing a failed attempt or if the failure is particularly entertaining, but in general, I'm perfectly fine if they just show the successful play. Watching someone bonk their head repeatedly into the wall can only carry a video for so long. ;)

A LP doesn't have to have that 'peeking over the player's shoulder' feeling. It's a valid approach too, but not the only one. If someone plays a Nuzlocke or a classical jRPG, I sure as hell don't want to watch 4 hours worth of footage of the player grinding their Pokemon / characters to a reasonable level. To me, it's the same with (especially multiple) failed attempts. It's nice if I know that they've been there, but I don't need the videos to prove it.

It's kinda bugging me...

I mean I do challenge runs that require me to do things in one shot, so you can see screw ups and progression at the same time haha.

While I enjoy the authenticity of people who don't edit out their mistakes, I personally also like it when there are fewer mistakes to edit out and they generally approach the game competently (unless it's a really hard game, then repeated failures are really entertaining to watch, not to mention satisfying when they succeed). Seeing people make careless mistakes or just refuse to learn from their mistakes has a tendency to annoy me. That doesn't mean I expect perfection, I just prefer a desire to take the game seriously. LPs that don't can still be entertaining if their personalities are good, but that's generally in spite of, rater than because of their lower competence.

Edited by Alastor15243

I dunno about you, but watching crappy gamers get stuck on simple challenges for 5+ minutes is pretty boring to me.

Sure, but there's a world of difference between that and just cutting out all failures. Nuance, mate, Christ.

It's kinda bugging me...

I think it depends on the viewer and the game in question - for example, in Dark Souls it's very unlikely that you'll get a perfect run against a boss, so you'll see at least a few attempts. It also depends on whether everything has to be done in one shot e.g. an Ironman playthrough means no resets, so you'll see mistakes as they occur.

On the other hand, it can be massively frustrating if someone is banging their head against a puzzle for 5+ minutes at a time when it'd be better to just skip to the solution when they eventually figure it out.

I dunno about you, but watching crappy gamers get stuck on simple challenges for 5+ minutes is pretty boring to me.

That's not it at all. Let me use an example. I watched someone playing Bloodborne. Some fights they won and some they lost at moments. One noteworthy fight, the beginning went terribly and then they proceeded to fight a perfect fight after being knocked down to critical hp. It's more exciting to watch an average game like that because you don't know the outcome. If they are terrible, then it's boring because watching someone lose over and over again is a lack of progress.

I see...

Uh, I was feelin' a little hesitant sharin' my playthrough, I'm covering Shoot em' Ups and me screwing up makes me feel a little insecure in the inside.

It depends!

If you want to advertise your channel as some sort of optimized guide, then all screw-ups should be edited out. If this is an average runthrough, then by all means keep a few in there. As long as the video shows progression from beginning to end, without unnecessarily large gaps of "I'm stuck here, and it's slowing the pace down", it should be fine. If it's a particularly frustrating section, and it took you a while to get right, maybe put a couple of failed attempts, fade out to a black screen that says something like "25 tries later" (or however long it took to get it right), then show the correct attempt.

It depends!

If you want to advertise your channel as some sort of optimized guide, then all screw-ups should be edited out. If this is an average runthrough, then by all means keep a few in there. As long as the video shows progression from beginning to end, without unnecessarily large gaps of "I'm stuck here, and it's slowing the pace down", it should be fine. If it's a particularly frustrating section, and it took you a while to get right, maybe put a couple of failed attempts, fade out to a black screen that says something like "25 tries later" (or however long it took to get it right), then show the correct attempt.

Ahh... I see, I did edit out screw-ups although kept in a few.

Although so far, I was asked to do Normal Mode runs first before I go for the Hard Mode. Already posted my first two vids in Normal mode of the game I'm playing.

Ooh, nice! Do you mind posting a link to one of your videos? I'm not the best at critiquing LPs, but I might be able to throw in a few helpful suggestions!

Ooh, nice! Do you mind posting a link to one of your videos? I'm not the best at critiquing LPs, but I might be able to throw in a few helpful suggestions!

Ah, alright... I, uh... sent you a PM...