Sun and Moon Team-Talking (new 'mons spoilers)

Emerson

Ah, no. Just startin' with Bagon and working my way up the old-fashioned way.

Huh, thought you implied when you stated waiting for Vikavolt isn't worth it.

Then again, there's no way to circumvent Beldum's tedious path to the final evolution either.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, thought you implied when you stated waiting for Vikavolt isn't worth it.

Then again, there's no way to circumvent Beldum's tedious path to the final evolution either.

Shelgon seems more manageable than Charjabug; plus, it helps me out more in the type coverage department (eviolite Shelgon can tank more than eviolite Charjabug as well). And considering the re-implementation of 5th gen EXP mechanics, I'll have the EXP share at the ready for underleveled 'mons.

Charjabug is more useful when it exists, with good coverage (including Crunch and Acrobatics) and STABs that hit a lot of mons super-effectively. I played with Exp Share mostly turned off, and didn't notice it falling short of the other teammates too much towards the end. It's difficult to say if you'll have Salamence by the E4 (maybe if you hoard your Rare Candies until the end of the game), but Intimidate + flying-typing should make it helpful against the fighting elite and some others too I bet.

Charjabug is more useful when it exists, with good coverage (including Crunch and Acrobatics) and STABs that hit a lot of mons super-effectively. I played with Exp Share mostly turned off, and didn't notice it falling short of the other teammates too much towards the end. It's difficult to say if you'll have Salamence by the E4 (maybe if you hoard your Rare Candies until the end of the game), but Intimidate + flying-typing should make it helpful against the fighting elite and some others too I bet.

What level are the Elite 4? Shelgon evolves at level 50, and running of off X and Y I'd figure that it would evolve right around the main story's climax (the mascot legendary this time is level 55, so I figure that the final storyline boss' team is of a similar level to that).

I never thought the salamence line had so many issues. But then I looked at it's stats... it gets a 180 BST boost when shelgon evolves into salamence. God damn, talk about being a hard journey but paying off at the end lol. Beldum has many issues, but I think metang is a bit better than shelgon. It can tank many more hits at least.

I realise I have never actually tried training these as i level up... I always get them post game lol.

Edited by SlayerX

I've not really used Trevenant or Gourgeist, so I don't know how good Ghost/Grass is. Sadly, My team has a huge Ice and Flying Weakness. I might switch out Mudsdale or Dhelmise for Alolan Golem if I can get my sister to trade with me (which she probably will once she finds out Alolan Vulpix is Sun only.

This is the team I have planned right now, but I may change my mind once I get the game.

055dc202f8.jpg

Nickname:

Decidueye : Orion

Metagross : Talos

Salandit : Salamandra

Umbreon : Eclipse

Golisopod : Karkinos

Salamence : Icarus

Thanks to Alolan Vulpix exclusivity and Vikavolt effectively being locked to the last 1/4 of the game, I've had to make a couple alterations to my team:

Pokemon_Moon_Team_2_0.png

Nicknames:

Decidueye: Hoole

Lycanroc: Cornell

Mudsdale: Budweiser

Araquanid: Visorak

Salamence: Rathalos

Metagross: Mumkhar

Two psuedos not locked to late game? Heck yeah.

I was going to ask why mainly blue salamence is a Rathalos, but then I remembered that Azure Rathalos is a thing. Before, I was going to suggest catching a shiny female one and naming it Rathian instead of Rathalos.

Edited by LuxSpes

As is my tradition when running through a Pokemon game, my team will be Fire Emblem themed, the starter being named after a lord unit.

It looks like my Moon run will be Fates Conquest. Already I see parallels - Effie as Bewear, Nyx as Mimikyu, and Keaton as Lycanroc (the midnight form matching him better). Corrin, then, will be Litten, being the only Alola starter to learn a Dragon move.

Having been out of Pokemon for a while, I'm really going into this blind otherwise.

Went with a Hoshido Royal theme for my team. Ever since Solgaleo's revelation I knew I wanted to name it Ryoma, and then Decidueye getting an archer theme just sealed the deal on Takumi.

My friend was supposed to trade me a Popplio for Azura, but I progressed a lot faster than she can get it to me.

So my team ended up being

Decidueye - Takumi

Wigglytuff - Sakura (I always have a wigglytuff whenever possible)

Talonflame - Hinoka

Solgaleo - Ryoma

Raichu - Raijinto (i suppose Shiro could've also worked here now that I think about it, my Raichu's a girl though)

Vaporeon - Shigure, I wasn't about to reset for a female Eevee at 5% spawn rate so he'll fill in for mom.

I've not really used Trevenant or Gourgeist, so I don't know how good Ghost/Grass is. Sadly, My team has a huge Ice and Flying Weakness. I might switch out Mudsdale or Dhelmise for Alolan Golem if I can get my sister to trade with me (which she probably will once she finds out Alolan Vulpix is Sun only.

Hmm, do you know the locations of the Pokemon in your team?

Because half of them are late game Pokemon, as in really, really late.

Edited by Water Mage

Hmm, do you know the locations of the Pokemon in your team?

Because half of them are late game Pokemon, as in really, really late.

that might work to his benefit though, seeing as later on the levels in the enemies spike, which mean he might not have too much of a problem dealing with exp

that might work to his benefit though, seeing as later on the levels in the enemies spike, which mean he might not have too much of a problem dealing with exp

Good point.

Especially considering this game's difficulty.

And so the Lunar Conquest is about to begin.: Corrin (Incineroar) / Effie (Bewear) / Nyx (Mimikyu) / Beruka (Mandibuzz) / Peri (Toxapex)

I need a special attacker, so Elise (Sylveon) rounds out the team. Going to be picking up the game tomorrow. Not looking forward to the recruitment process here. Running from male Eevees and Golbats, throwing Luvdiscs back and ensuring I don't defeat Corsola before Mareanie appears...

• 2 weeks later...

I caught the level 10 Salamence by SOS-chaining bagons. I freakin' love the thought of just having a tiny baby salamence that's like the size of a Bagon... totally worth it.

It's really disappointing that Alola Marowak can only get Flame Charge as STAB until Flare Blitz comes along... Making Shadow Bone learned at level 27 when Cubone evolves at 28 was a really sadistic move on GF's part. For shame. I'll still use it anyway because it's so cool but bleh.

I also caught all the colors of Minior and named them after anagrams of the attributes of the respective-colored souls in Undertale.

Also, since I see Charjabug/Vikavolt being discussed, can I just share my irritation at how disappointing Vikavolt is? Both competitively and with how late in the game it comes. Charjabug is really good for like the first half of the game or so, but can't evolve for 3/4s of the game? Seriously? And then Vikavolt... just sucks. It's so bad. I used it anyway because it looks cool, and it does well-enough in-game, but I'm so disappointed at this thing's lack of competitive potential.

Charjabug >>>> Vikavolt

Edited by BANRYU

Also, since I see Charjabug/Vikavolt being discussed, can I just share my irritation at how disappointing Vikavolt is? Both competitively and with how late in the game it comes. Charjabug is really good for like the first half of the game or so, but can't evolve for 3/4s of the game? Seriously? And then Vikavolt... just sucks. It's so bad. I used it anyway because it looks cool, and it does well-enough in-game, but I'm so disappointed at this thing's lack of competitive potential.

Charjabug >>>> Vikavolt

Eh, I see everyone complaining about it, but it's not like it's hot garbage. It's just not the next Greninja like everyone wants everything to be nowadays.

It has Levitate, an ok 77/90/75 bulk, and very high Special Attack. It's coverage isn't the best, but it hits hard enough with it's Bug/Electric stabs to make up for that, and it can fight Ground and Rock types well thanks to Energy Ball. It's Speed is awful, but that's what strategy and teammates are for. It also gets Agility, although it's honestly not worth running imo.

I do agree it evolves way too late, but hey, at least it's not Crabominable and Glaceon levels of late. Plus Charjabug isn't that awful. It has pretty great stats for a mid-evo.

Edited by Emerson

Eh, I see everyone complaining about it, but it's not like it's hot garbage. It's just not the next Greninja like everyone wants everything to be nowadays.

It has Levitate, an ok 77/90/75 bulk, and very high Special Attack. It's coverage isn't the best, but it hits hard enough with it's Bug/Electric stabs to make up for that, and it can fight Ground and Rock types well thanks to Energy Ball. It's Speed is awful, but that's what strategy and teammates are for. It also gets Agility, although it's honestly not worth running imo.

I do agree it evolves way too late, but hey, at least it's not Crabominable and Glaceon levels of late. Plus Charjabug isn't that awful. It has pretty great stats for a mid-evo.

For the sake of in-game, it's all right, it's just sad that it takes so long haha. Crabominable, though... yikes....

Yeah it actually does pretty well once it DOES finally evolve. And Charjabug using Acrobatics... holy $#!7. I love. (Please someone make a gif of this)

Metagame-wise, I didn't want Charjabug to be broken or anything; I'd have settled for usable. Looking at its design, I dunno... you expect it to be like, a specially-oriented Ninjask stat-wise or something, but this....?? It's just... such a bizarre stat spread. And pretty much not worth using next to Galvantula IMO. It just... after gen 6 did such a good job of giving most of its mons a useful and clearly-defined niche, it's just sad to see so many mons THIS gen not getting that treatment, like apparently they stopped caring about making mons that do something new and unique...? IDK.

I guess at best it could be Trick Room material, but even then... I dunno, man. It's just sad, haha.

Metagame-wise, I didn't want Charjabug to be broken or anything; I'd have settled for usable. Looking at its design, I dunno... you expect it to be like, a specially-oriented Ninjask stat-wise or something, but this....?? It's just... such a bizarre stat spread. And pretty much not worth using next to Galvantula IMO. It just... after gen 6 did such a good job of giving most of its mons a useful and clearly-defined niche, it's just sad to see so many mons THIS gen not getting that treatment, like apparently they stopped caring about making mons that do something new and unique...? IDK.

Er, Galvantula and Vikavolt are used pretty differently. Galvantula relies on Compound Eyes-boosted Thunder and Bug Buzz for good damage (also I think Expert Belt sets are a thing), although just sets up Sticky Web and bails with Volt Switch in most cases. Vikavolt has a bit more bulk and a lot more power, plus it's able to be a switch-in to EQ.

Not to mention, Galvantula isn't available in-game until Bank anyways.

They're trying a lot new stuff this Gen. Priority-blocking, Terrains, abilities like Stamina and Water Compaction etc. Almost everything is new, or at least unique. It's just unfortunately not able to overtake the older strategies and make a name for itself. Only the UBs, Tapus, and a few others have really been able to make a name for themselves recently. They're not the only new things that're good, but they're what's best and most used for the moment.

Edited by Emerson