"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

So its confirmed that Swtich will NOT be backwards compatible with the 3DS and Wii U games!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/10/nintendo_confirms_switch_isnt_physically_backwards_compatible_with_3ds_and_wii_u_software

Damn....now how am I suppose to get New Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World if I don't have a Wii U? :(

But more on Skyrim......I don't understand why the hell Bethesda would port an old game instead of porting something else like.....idk Fallout 4?

That port is making me think and its making me feel that third parties aren't going to put any effort into making latest games for Switch......

Two words: Skyrim Remastered.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remastering a game so old that already had a different port?

It makes sense for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess as well as Majora's Mask but Skyrim???

It's coming out in a month or so on current gen and PC, with mod support on Xbox One.

Considering the game itself ran poorly on 360 and ...kinda sorta ran... on PS3, it's one of the few port jobs that makes sense.

Note the specification on physical backwards compatibility. They may still allow digital backwards compatibility.

Which honestly wouldn't surprise me as Nintendo wants people to buy their games digitally.

Though that 32GB hard drive will fill up faaaaaaaast.

Note the specification on physical backwards compatibility. They may still allow digital backwards compatibility.

Which honestly wouldn't surprise me as Nintendo wants people to buy their games digitally.

I pray that the 32GB thing doesn't hold up. I hope they increase that number by at least X2(because there isn't much reason to keep the space so small).

I normally don't play digital copies of things, due to low space.

Also, the only way this thing is going to be able to play Wii U games or Wii games is if there's back-compatible with the controllers. They won't be working with those tiny little Joycons.

Also, the only way this thing is going to be able to play Wii U games or Wii games is if there's back-compatible with the controllers. They won't be working with those tiny little Joycons.

The most important thing is to see if the console can handle Wii and WiiU software one damn way or another. I don't believe it won't be through ports though, it takes quite a lot of time even for a single game.

For controllers I believe is no big deal, they made that Gamecube pad adapter, so they can make it through eveything. You'll only need the right device or just minor hardware updates via Internet download (the 3DS connection app as another controller for Smash WiiU). But if they don't let the older games be playable in this new console from, at least, the previous generation ... they'd simply loose a quite big deal of oportunity for those who didn't buy WiiU. More games for them plus the new ones for NS' release, which will be around ten, but possibly no much more than that.

I do seriously doubt they would buy a console that they never had any kind of interest since many years, to begin with, so ...

Edited by Erdall

Speaking of which, some Wii U games if I'm right about that rely on the touch screen and the dual gaming seen on the DS. So how will those be backwards compatible?

Speaking of which, some Wii U games if I'm right about that rely on the touch screen and the dual gaming seen on the DS. So how will those be backwards compatible?

I'm assuming that the Switch will be able to have dual screen functions. I mean, there are already 2 screens, the actual console pad thing and the TV. So I'm guessing that if they have a DS virtual console or something like that it should be able to do something like that.

OH! Maybe, it will be split screen on the console's screen, but when you're at home you can choose to put a screen on your TV.

Did I make that sound confusing? I actually have no idea what they're going to do! But there's is gonna be two screens (console & TV) so I think it'd be weird if they didn't do anything with that. Especially because dual screens have been Nintendo's thing for a while now.

I'm assuming that the Switch will be able to have dual screen functions. I mean, there are already 2 screens, the actual console pad thing and the TV. So I'm guessing that if they have a DS virtual console or something like that it should be able to do something like that.

OH! Maybe, it will be split screen on the console's screen, but when you're at home you can choose to put a screen on your TV.

Did I make that sound confusing? I actually have no idea what they're going to do! But there's is gonna be two screens (console & TV) so I think it'd be weird if they didn't do anything with that. Especially because dual screens have been Nintendo's thing for a while now.

No duel screen functionality confirmed by Nintendo

Sounds about right for not having dual screens, I didn't see how the console or controller could support more than one. Also, Touch screen and motion/gyro support have not been confirmed yet, so we still have to wait until next year or whenever Nintendo wants to give us new info.

A small shame, but expected. Not many people use the dual screens to their full effect, most settling just for having one gaming screen and the other be a reference (mini-map, stats, hotkeys, etc.). One game that likely did it properly was 999 (I just saw an LP and never played it myself), but to think the brilliance of when it is used is just mindblowing. Also, games that make the DS held more like a book also probably took advantage of the functionality.

I think any DS, 3DS, or Wii U ports that rely on two screens will just have two separate windows on the main device, or regulated between switching screens. The two separate windows is how they do DS games (Super Mario 64 DS, Mario Party DS) on the Wii U, and if they do continue with the Virtual Console, I see that as being how they implement it for the NSwitch,

A small shame, but expected. Not many people use the dual screens to their full effect, most settling just for having one gaming screen and the other be a reference (mini-map, stats, hotkeys, etc.). One game that likely did it properly was 999 (I just saw an LP and never played it myself), but to think the brilliance of when it is used is just mindblowing. Also, games that make the DS held more like a book also probably took advantage of the functionality.

I think any DS, 3DS, or Wii U ports that rely on two screens will just have two separate windows on the main device, or regulated between switching screens. The two separate windows is how they do DS games (Super Mario 64 DS, Mario Party DS) on the Wii U, and if they do continue with the Virtual Console, I see that as being how they implement it for the NSwitch,

Games that use the screens as maps itself is making use of the DS to begin with...I guess I have to face it and just move on from here.....goodbye dual screen gaming..... :cry:

Now I'm beginning to wonder.....will we get a Fire Emblem game for Switch? And if so, can we consider it a console game or a handheld game?

Edited by Harvey

No duel screen functionality confirmed by Nintendo

This worries me, because unless Nintendo still does stuff with the 3DS, this could lead to bad times for Etrian Odyssey. I guess they can adapt and make you use a button to pull up the map, but that would be really awkward.

Edited by Konnor97

This worries me, because unless Nintendo still does stuff with the 3DS, this could lead to bad times for Etrian Odyssey. I guess they can adapt and make you use a button to pull up the map, but that would be really awkward.

If the rumours are true and the Switch has a multi-touch screen, then I can see some titles being undocked-only, to take full advantage of the multi-touch screen.

EDIT: With the Wii U and DS VC they'd split the display in half, one for the top DS screen and one for the bottom DS screen. So I can see that happening with some titles for the Switch. This should've been in my post originally, sorry

EDIT 2: This is of course presuming that the Switch ends up replacing the 3DS. The little thing's still got some life in it right now.

Edited by DodgeDusk

Before the DS was introduced, this was the only way to view maps and have different menus appear. The DS made it a whole lot easier and fixed this issue and its really useful as the map moves on one screen while you move on the other. Not only that, but you get a full sized map dedicated for one screen!

Its going to be a bummer for those who were used to developing games for the DS&3DS but if there's no other option, then the devs have to move on and so do the consumers.....

If it's single screen, we can also infer that it isn't a touch screen.

This would exclude DS and 3DS games from its virtual console library.

As the console lacks an accelerometer, we can also exclude Wii and Wii U games from its virtual console.

Edited by Ema Skye

I've been told by someone who has a Switch dev kit, that the controller does feature both touch and gyro capabilities. Nintendo just didn't show off those features because they wanted to focus on the switching mechanic for the debut presentation.

Tbh The reason I think it won't be a touch screen is it kinda goes against the point of the console.

Having a touch screen would lock it to handheld mode for certain things, which destroys the point of the swapping between handheld and console gimmick.