"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

According to Euklyd, Golden Sun Dark Dawn was supposed to get (or at least implied) a sequel (citation needed), so at least that didn't do as well as they expected otherwise they would have made it.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Euklyd, Golden Sun Dark Dawn was supposed to get (or at least implied) a sequel (citation needed), so at least that didn't do as well as they expected otherwise they would have made it.

I wouldn't be shocked considering Dark Dawn ends on a cliffhanger.

On the other hand, Bayonetta might see a 3rd game due to her inclusion in Smash and Bayo 2 doing decently well and being a pretty great game all around for us Hack n Slash fans.

Plus I think I saw Platinum on that list of developers.

That's what hypes me most. Platinum Games was in the list so I'm totally expecting a Bayo 3. IIRC the directives even hinted it on a tweet.

My biggest problem is that all of a sudden, FE becomes a major thing for Nintendo and back then, it was something that was not on Nintendo's radar. It could very much end up like Metroid where if one game did not sell well, it will end up being dormant and for something like FE to maintain good sales constantly is going to be extremely difficult to do so. And its because of this that I'm very doubtful that it can do wonders on Switch. Heck, we still haven't seen any footage of that Mobile game that they said will be coming soon so what happened?

Can you honestly tell me if Nintendo will ever make another Tokyo Mirage game after the fact it didn't do so well?

The FE hype came before Awakening's release, not because of an overwhelming event that bumped FE, but rather, proper marketing: trailers, commercials, DLC, etc. They just had to do things well to make it a success. But this wasn't just a pre release work, they also worked all over FE through the smash hype, and then Fates came, and then Corrin made it to Smash. Right now we're probably at FE's best point. If they drop FE it's because they do something wrong in the process, but I wouldn't attribute the fact of going console mode as the main reason for it.

Regarding Mobile FE, we haven't received word of it so far, but I do know we have a date of news, don't remember when.

And well, idk, Atlus is supposedly among the list of Nintendo's partners, so while I don't expect them to do a sequel, one can see that it's possible.

Advanced Wars Days of Ruin did terribly in terms of sales.

Golden Sun Dark Dawn had really mixed reception and didn't sell too hot, not to mention most fans of the original 2 don't even consider it to exist.

Uprising was stated by Sakurai to be a 1 time thing.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin has sold 320,000 units in the U.S. That doesn't seem all bad as its the same level that FE used to sell back then.....

Dark Dawn sold well actually. It didn't do as well as the first two but its sales are atleast modest.

Sakurai-San doesn't need to make the next game. Nintendo themselves can find staff to make another Kid Icarus game.

Can we seriously move on from this talk about what series are selling or not? It's depressing and this thread is not about that. We've had plenty of threads to discuss the subject and we don't really need another one, so please let's keep this one to discuss and speculate about Switch.

Can we seriously move on from this talk about what series are selling or not? It's depressing and this thread is not about that. We've had plenty of threads to discuss the subject and we don't really need another one, so please let's keep this one to discuss and speculate about Switch.

Fair enough.

Whats your most hoped for thing in the Splatoon update/sequel, whatever it ends up being?

Fair enough.

Whats your most hoped for thing in the Splatoon update/sequel, whatever it ends up being?

Oh man, I'm pretty hyped for the fact that we're getting hairstyles this time around.

They should just expand on everything by adding new stages and gear, and hopefully a new and longer Campaign mode.

But what I'm hoping the most for right now is that gyro controls are still in. There is really no other way to play Splatoon.

The best part about Splatoon 2 is the ability to play local multiplayer in the same room.

That's literally the only thing Splatoon needed to be perfect.

If it's a launch title, the Switch is a day 1 purchase for me.

(also give me a Bayonetta 3 plz!)

I wonder if the Switch will have the same deja vu that it sold poorly because Nintendo ended the Wii U so fast.....

Like remember how SEGA made the Saturn and ended the system quickly in favor of the Dreamcast?

Edited by Harvey

The best part about Splatoon 2 is the ability to play local multiplayer in the same room.

If it's a launch title, the Switch is a day 1 purchase for me.

I would have prefered if they waited a little and made a more consequent Splatoon 2, since what they shown seems like an upgraded port of the Wii U version, which is still fine and I understand why they would do that (to push japanese sales quickly and an easy way to add one more game near launch, same thing about MK8). I'm not sure about local multiplayer, maybe with the console docked and multiples controllers, but I don't see the game being very playable with only one "Joy-Con". Aiming with Gyro is also one of the best thing they have done, I sure hope that they keep it, it will probably allow other shooters to be somewhat playable on console.

I wonder how long it has been since Intelligent Systems finished working on Paper Mario Color Splash. I'm pretty sure they already have some project for the Switch, but I'm just not sure how advanced it is, and if we can expect it near release or not. I know that they also work on FE mobile, but I doubt that takes most of their staff, just like Cipher doesn't probably take that much people.

I'm pretty sure that the best is yet to be revealed, known projects like Mario and Zelda while still very nice aren't as interesting/surprising to me as the odd announcements like Bayonetta 2, Codename STEAM, #FE, etc... even if I'm not always interested in these games. Plus, they have a fair number of 3rd party developers partners announced (some quite unexpected, From Software, Bethesda...), so I'm even more optimistic, even if I would have been fine with a Wii U/3DS like output.

Literally the only problems with Splatoon are...

- Main abilities are locked to specific gear for not reason at all. The RNG for sub-abilities also sucks - trying to collect all the gear is grinding enough.
- The weapon select menu is a mess since you can't organize it by weapon type... or organize it at all.
- Equipment can't be changed in the lobby, unlike other online shooters.
- Almost no controller customization, and NO support for Wii Remote and Nunchuck.
- Single player mode is too short. It needed at least two more worlds.
...actually, that's quite a lot. And that's why I rated it 8/10.
I know a lot of folks love gyro controls, but I think they would've been better if you could use them in conjunction with full right stick control. In any case, I would still prefer Wii Remote aiming, as it has the perfect combination of rapidity and precision that the gyro has a hard time replicating.

I hope the Switch is powerful enough to get a lot of the big third party games like Mass Effect.

I can understand why a lot of people demand third party games from Nintendo(though personally I don't, seeing how Nintendo's own IP beats the hell out of them)....but why oh why would you go as far as asking games that have been made years ago? That only gives the mentality that the Switch cannot port latest third party games but only those that exist from previous gens......

While on the topic, why is Skyrim the game that Bethesda wants to port for the Switch instead of something like Fallout 4?

One thing that pops on my mind, How long will it take to complete sessions in general? The reason Handheld gaming is successful is because you can complete levels in a matter of 5-30 minutes and then turn it off and go elsewhere. How can you play that much on AAA games like Skyrim or even Breadth of the Wild?

I'm pretty sure Locust was referring to the upcoming Mass Effect Andromeda, not the original trilogy. As for why Skyrim is being ported and not Fallout 4, it is likely because of Skyrim Remastered.

The remaster really isn't much as its basically a combination of all the DLC and the game itself, that's it.

And Mass Effect Andromeda.....I really doubt that the Swtich can handle Frostbite 3 let alone 1......

Oh sorry my bad....

But I really doubt that Nintendo would get the third party support from the western devs....rather I think that Nintendo might want to instead ask third parties from Japan like Falcom?

I'm pretty sure that the latest Ys game can work for the Swtich if effort is done right.

The remaster really isn't much as its basically a combination of all the DLC and the game itself, that's it.

And Mass Effect Andromeda.....I really doubt that the Swtich can handle Frostbite 3 let alone 1......

Uhh the remaster actually switches the Skyrim engine to the updated engine used for Fallout 4. It might not be any significant remake of content in the game but it does support a much better lighting system and utilizes a different form of anti-aliasing which softens everything up. For PC, the biggest difference is going from a 32-bit game to 64-bit and being able to utilize more than 4GB of RAM at once. On consoles, there is no question that the remaster is an improvement on the base game because the last gen suffered from extreme RAM bottlenecks.

I think in the current generation, Elder Scrolls is Bethesda's star franchise while the Fallout series is more niche. Not to say that Fallout 4 isn't a mega hit, but Skyrim's play time statistics on Steam are well above average and have been for a surprisingly long time.

Also, Mass Effect 3 was on the Wii U and while it didn't run great during heavy action sequences, it was there. It didn't sell well because Mass Effect 3 had already been on the market for months, though. After all, the Wii U wasn't THAT underpowered compared to the 360, however it sacrifices the power of its specs to stream to the Wii U gamepad and that caused a lot of games to have issues with slowdown that they didn't have on the PS3 or 360. Early on the Wii U also had Assassin's Creed Black Flag and CoD Black Ops 2, and both games ran just as well as their counterparts on other systems. In fact there's quite a few people who praised the ability to play those games on the game pad while giving up the TV to their kids.

• 2 weeks later...

Another rumor. It comes from Laura Kate Dale so it has credibility to it. But still, unconfirmed.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/11/report-mario-skyrim-switch-at-launch-splatoon-pack-in-no-march-wii-u-zelda/

- Mario 3D is nearly finished and will be at launch. Game is more in the vein of SM64 and Galaxy 1, with an open world hub and levels with multiple objectives.

- Skyrim is also a launch title and will support modding the same way the PS4 version does.

- Zelda: BotW won't be at launch since they're not done with it yet. Because of that the Wii U version is delayed too.

- Splatoon is also a launch title and will be the pack-in game in the Premium Switch Bundle. The game has 1-on-1 local multi and you can switch (heh) weapons during the match.