"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

I'm wondering if we'll get a surprise sudden console FE something in the January announcement, considering FE's success in the past few years.

That would definitely be nice! I'm still crossing my fingers for that rumored Luigi's Mansion game too. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if we'll get a surprise sudden console FE something in the January announcement, considering FE's success in the past few years.

I believe they'll wait to see sales first.

They said a console FE game would need to sell around a million copies to be profitable, so I can understand them being cautious here.

They said a console FE game would need to sell around a million copies to be profitable, so I can understand them being cautious here.

True that, i'm just thinking of the whole dual nature of the console maybe giving them a little more leeway with it.

I'm hoping we get VC Gamecube games! The NS has 2 usb ports...that's all you need for the adapter! Also, that's more money for Nintendo and more smiles on our faces(and more joy from our wallets because games like FE:PoR(FE9) and Skies of Arcadia Legends, while really fun games, sell mighty high on amazon)!

Yes, yes, and more yes! ;3

They can achieve a million copies easily. If Awakening and Fates surpassed their sales objective, then there won't be an issue with the console's characteristics (imo).

They can achieve a million copies easily. If Awakening and Fates surpassed their sales objective, then there won't be an issue with the console's characteristics (imo).

Yeah. Besides, hope I'm remembering this right, despite the Tellius games being so popular, they didn't sell very well(partly because of bad advertising)...

I feel like now they know what to do to sell what they need to! ;3

That would be great!

I'm hoping we get VC Gamecube games! The NS has 2 usb ports...that's all you need for the adapter! Also, that's more money for Nintendo and more smiles on our faces(and more joy from our wallets because games like FE:PoR(FE9) and Skies of Arcadia Legends, while really fun games, sell mighty high on amazon)!

Yes, yes, and more yes! ;3

And Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

*fingers crossed*

Except this console is a hybrid, not a home console? Why do people keep forgetting this and just treat it as another home console when it's a little more than that? It has portability, so I think the sales goal would be a little different in this case. I also I doubt the Switch sell as badly as the Wii U for this reason. It may or may not be as successful as the Wii, but the Wii U it should definitely outsell.

GC games for the VC would definitely be a plus! PoR would be more accessible again...

Edited by Anacybele

GC games for the VC would definitely be a plus! PoR would be more accessible again...

Yeah, then I could finally stop kicking myself for selling my copy of FE9 a few years back(before Awakening was released)...for such a low price...*sigh*...

Whenever the price of FE9 is brought up, I feel guilty for buying it at $25 sometime between the English launches of FE11 and 13, ahaha...

Me too, except for the guilt part. Found it at Gamestop one day, and I didn't know it cost quite a bit to buy online. One of my better impulse buys.

For actual Switch stuff, hopefully we get some GC VC. Can't think of games it could have that I don't, but you never know what hidden gems you can find.

Me too, except for the guilt part. Found it at Gamestop one day, and I didn't know it cost quite a bit to buy online. One of my better impulse buys.

For actual Switch stuff, hopefully we get some GC VC. Can't think of games it could have that I don't, but you never know what hidden gems you can find.

I actually went to Gamestops around the area to search it out. I had no idea that it was so costly over internet services at the time.

Looking back, I guess we were both pretty lucky to find it like that.

I actually went to Gamestops around the area to search it out. I had no idea that it was so costly over internet services at the time.Looking back, I guess we were both pretty lucky to find it like that.

That's...kinda how I got mine a few years ago too...I found it at a Gamestop, begged my mom for it for about a month, and I had it for about a year(beat it about 3+ times) and sold it because I needed some money(and because I didn't really know back then that selling/trading in games that I play to death can be a really bad idea)......*sigh*...

Oh well... I did get lucky again and found FFVII in good condition at a thrift store about a year ago(not making the same mistake twice)!

That's...kinda how I got mine a few years ago too...I found it at a Gamestop, begged my mom for it for about a month, and I had it for about a year(beat it about 3+ times) and sold it because I needed some money(and because I didn't really know back then that selling/trading in games that I play to death can be a really bad idea)......*sigh*...

Oh well... I did get lucky again and found FFVII in good condition at a thrift store about a year ago(not making the same mistake twice)!

I pretty much refuse to sell my games for collector reasons, so I'm not getting rid of FE9 anytime soon.

I pretty much refuse to sell my games for collector reasons, so I'm not getting rid of FE9 anytime soon.

That's kinda my mentality now......wish I had that as a kid/teenager...

(I kept trading in a lot games at Gamestop and sold a couple of my games......I didn't learn that was a bad idea until I was about 16......darn younger me...)

Except this console is a hybrid, not a home console? Why do people keep forgetting this and just treat it as another home console when it's a little more than that? It has portability, so I think the sales goal would be a little different in this case. I also I doubt the Switch sell as badly as the Wii U for this reason. It may or may not be as successful as the Wii, but the Wii U it should definitely outsell.

Of course it's a hybrid. That doesn't change anything.

Games are probably going to retail for $60 like most console games (especially if we're looking at 16GB games). That's the only figure that matters to sales goals.

I can see FE coming to the console, but I don't think it'll be right away.

Of course it's a hybrid. That doesn't change anything.

Games are probably going to retail for $60 like most console games (especially if we're looking at 16GB games). That's the only figure that matters to sales goals.

I can see FE coming to the console, but I don't think it'll be right away.

They might, they might not. We'll have to see on release.

As for FE, I'm inclined to agree it won't come right away either, but one can always hope.

Edited by Anacybele

I really doubt that FE on Switch will sell huge since its a home console.

I mean, if FE is going to be on mobile, what makes you so positive that an FE game on switch will happen?

The problem is people love to compare home low marketed FE with handheld high marketed FE, what makes you think FE will bomb on Switch, or any other home console, for reference? FE's not in the same situation as 10 years back. Nintendo is changing people's mind by promoting FE as one of their biggest IPs, probably more as a marketing strategy.

The problem is people love to compare home low marketed FE with handheld high marketed FE, what makes you think FE will bomb on Switch, or any other home console, for reference? FE's not in the same situation as 10 years back. Nintendo is changing people's mind by promoting FE as one of their biggest IPs, probably more as a marketing strategy.

I don't think it will bomb but I'm not sure if it can sell as huge as Fates or Awakening. I mean, they said the same thing for Metroid being one of the IPs that they value and yet, they haven't done much of that IP yet. I'm just saying that the same thing can happen here for FE as well unless FE is somehow outsells Metroid.

I just feel that 3DS simply saved FE and I just am not certain that it can sell well outside the handheld/hybrid market as you think it will.

I don't think it will bomb but I'm not sure if it can sell as huge as Fates or Awakening. I mean, they said the same thing for Metroid being one of the IPs that they value and yet, they haven't done much of that IP yet. I'm just saying that the same thing can happen here for FE as well unless FE is somehow outsells Metroid.

I just feel that 3DS simply saved FE and I just am not certain that it can sell well outside the handheld/hybrid market as you think it will.

It not only continued FE, it made it very profitable, I think you're underestimating what happens when Nintendo sees success, they milk it for all its worth, and of course, they abandon things that do even slightly poorly (usually). Which is likely the fate of Metroid right now after the very ill timing of Federation Force.

Metroid has been in a massive plunge since Other M, plus the fact that Metroid only does good in the West and barely sells in Japan doesn't help its case, while the west is a much bigger market, Japan is still a decently sized one.

Starfox Zero put Starfox in the same spot as well,it getting mixed reviews, and it sold pretty horrendously (I found it enjoyable but thats neither here nor there).

So i'm gonna go on a whim and say the Switch will not have an F-Zero, a Metroid, or a Starfox game, as they are not profitable (in their eyes, but I see tons of fan demand) or they have no idea how to continue them (which is the case of F-Zero, although you could probably just hand the franchise over to Sega because they made the best one with their Super Monkey Ball Engine).

Edit: Man I just depressed myself with my own comment.

Edited by Jedi

I get your point and understand how you feel about it. However, as far as I know Metroid did really bad since Other M, or at least that's my conception (which might be wrong), and hasn't been saved since then. On the contrary, FE was saved from the Tellius era with the 3DS games, and I think Nintendo is slowly approaching (or has approached) a safe zone where they can make high risk-high reward decisions regarding a new installment on Switch.

On the other hand, Bayonetta might see a 3rd game due to her inclusion in Smash and Bayo 2 doing decently well and being a pretty great game all around for us Hack n Slash fans.

Plus I think I saw Platinum on that list of developers.

Edited by Jedi

It not only continued FE, it made it very profitable, I think you're underestimating what happens when Nintendo sees success, they milk it for all its worth, and of course, they abandon things that do even slightly poorly (usually). Which is likely the fate of Metroid right now after the very ill timing of Federation Force.

Metroid has been in a massive plunge since Other M, plus the fact that Metroid only does good in the West and barely sells in Japan doesn't help its case, while the west is a much bigger market, Japan is still a decently sized one.

Starfox Zero put Starfox in the same spot as well,it getting mixed reviews, and it sold pretty horrendously (I found it enjoyable but thats neither here nor there).

So i'm gonna go on a whim and say the Switch will not have an F-Zero, a Metroid, or a Starfox game, as they are not profitable (in their eyes, but I see tons of fan demand) or they have no idea how to continue them (which is the case of F-Zero, although you could probably just hand the franchise over to Sega because they made the best one with their Super Monkey Ball Engine).

Edit: Man I just depressed myself with my own comment.

F-Zero is obvious as its been the second dormant IP from Nintendo (the first being Kid Icarus but that changed with Uprising)

Keep in mind that sometimes great sales doesn't mean more games are bound to come to it. Like Advance Wars for example. Where is that new Advance Wars game? I thought the last one as of now sold really well didn't it?

And Golden Sun? That sold well too so why isn't there a new game for that?

And now that Uprising sold well, why can't we expect another Kid Icarus game from Nintendo? I mean Uprising did make profit for Nintendo.

So the theory that they can't figure out what else to do kinda works here. What happens if FE can't end up doing anything new and because of that, the series is left idle?

I get your point and understand how you feel about it. However, as far as I know Metroid did really bad since Other M, or at least that's my conception (which might be wrong), and hasn't been saved since then. On the contrary, FE was saved from the Tellius era with the 3DS games, and I think Nintendo is slowly approaching (or has approached) a safe zone where they can make high risk-high reward decisions regarding a new installment on Switch.

My biggest problem is that all of a sudden, FE becomes a major thing for Nintendo and back then, it was something that was not on Nintendo's radar. It could very much end up like Metroid where if one game did not sell well, it will end up being dormant and for something like FE to maintain good sales constantly is going to be extremely difficult to do so. And its because of this that I'm very doubtful that it can do wonders on Switch. Heck, we still haven't seen any footage of that Mobile game that they said will be coming soon so what happened?

Can you honestly tell me if Nintendo will ever make another Tokyo Mirage game after the fact it didn't do so well?

F-Zero is obvious as its been the second dormant IP from Nintendo (the first being Kid Icarus but that changed with Uprising)

Keep in mind that sometimes great sales doesn't mean more games are bound to come to it. Like Advance Wars for example. Where is that new Advance Wars game? I thought the last one as of now sold really well didn't it?

And Golden Sun? That sold well too so why isn't there a new game for that?

And now that Uprising sold well, why can't we expect another Kid Icarus game from Nintendo? I mean Uprising did make profit for Nintendo.

So the theory that they can't figure out what else to do kinda works here. What happens if FE can't end up doing anything new and because of that, the series is left idle?

Advanced Wars Days of Ruin did terribly in terms of sales.

Golden Sun Dark Dawn had really mixed reception and didn't sell too hot, not to mention most fans of the original 2 don't even consider it to exist.

Uprising was stated by Sakurai to be a 1 time thing.

Edited by Jedi