"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

Stop the Luigi bashing too. He's actually one of the few Mario characters with a real personality, depth, and even some development (his fear of ghosts lessened some after awhile in Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon).

And...yeah, that crossover idea is kind of out there. :/

If it winds up being true, credibility boost extreme for those leakers haha, it's awful specific.

If it winds up being false... it was either a joke or going to be a severe cred hit.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it winds up being true, credibility boost extreme for those leakers haha, it's awful specific.

If it winds up being false... it was either a joke or going to be a severe cred hit.

I'm confused with the idea of that crossover.

___

OMG! Pokémon in Switch!?

You do know the only series that hint Smash may be canon to them are Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus, right?

Particularly since Smash plays loose with canon in many cases (Link is a fusion of many of the individuals referred to as Link, Peach, Captain Falcon and Mario get drastic personality changes, the Pokémon content heavily draws from the anime instead of the games, Bowser and the Kongs can't talk, Olimar was justifiably scaled up, etc.)

Edit: GameXplain cracked under the comment pressure of the "What's the crazy rumor you heard" comments on yesterday's rumor discussion

My main reaction to this was "Yeah that is pretty out there"

I really doubt that rumor for two reasons.

The first is that Nintendo seems rather wary of Mario rpg's. If Paper Mario had to be changed because it would intrude on Mario and Luigi's turf then a third Mario rpg series just doesn't make sense.

The rabbits are also a very odd choice for crossover material. Aren't they out of fashion for almost a decade now?

I really doubt that rumor for two reasons.

The first is that Nintendo seems rather wary of Mario rpg's. If Paper Mario had to be changed because it would intrude on Mario and Luigi's turf then a third Mario rpg series just doesn't make sense.

The rabbits are also a very odd choice for crossover material. Aren't they out of fashion for almost a decade now?

Yeah, I agree that it's doubtful.

Still, it's a weird rumor (weird enough that GameXplain's rumor discussion purposefully tiptoed around it due to the weirdness of the idea).

That said the idea is so out there and random I kinda want to see it.

One thing I can think of is that perhaps they're trying to bring them back to relevancy, hence why using a big-name like Mario.

Other than that, not sure on the idea itself if it's true. Can't say I've ever been a fan of them. But crossovers intrigue me by default, so... who knows...

Guys, guys, can you please drop the silly Mario/Peach bashing and start talking of Mainline Pokemon coming to Switch?

3rd game in the 7th Gen called Pokemon Stars. No 3DS version for this one.

I find it odd that they would release a third version on the Switch.....however, its not surprising that Pokemon is doing this now because its known to give three versions. The only times this didn't happen was X/Y which a lot of people expected a Z to happen but it didn't.....

Literally all the Pokemon games except for this newest one have the same protagonist who goes through the same path to get to the same goal. Some boring kid gets a Pokemon and he/she has to grind through all 8 gyms to win the game. Pokemon is not an example of good, varying storytelling.

wait there's something different about this one?

wait there's something different about this one?

Gym system's gone, was replaced with an Island Challenge system instead, where you do tasks like "Find these ingredients" or "spot what the difference in these dances is."

Gym badges (for the purpose of not blasting through with a Level 100 Mewtwo) are replaced with stamps given by Island Kahunas for beating them (there are four of these).

There's also a lot of text, the Villains' plot is given a lot more focus than in other games in the series (with the exception of BW).

So overall, they were trying something different, whether it's different enough is debatable.

Stop the Luigi bashing too. He's actually one of the few Mario characters with a real personality, depth, and even some development (his fear of ghosts lessened some after awhile in Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon).

Once a sissy dago, always a sissy dago, mate. I ain't going to be convinced when Luigi's such a sissy pussy for so long..

Edited by henrymidfields

I don't get one thing though....why would Nintendo decide to rely on Tegra instead of chips that they usually get from Japan like Sharp...or Sony?

First off Nintendo would never work with Sony they are mortal enemies... like seriously unless Nintendo goes third-party you will never see that happen and even then the more likely the team with Microsoft because of the ongoing bad blood between the two companies.

Secondly Nvidia already has the technology in place. They've been working on technology like this for a long time with their shields, and Nvidia's technology is also a lot easier to develop for. So Nintendo is far more likely to receive third-party support if they work with a company like Nvidia. There is no reason to work with any other company especially since Nvidia it is the only company this kind of technology in already in place. This all fits into Nintendos patterns of working with existing hardware, using a custom terga chip should come as a surprise to no one.

Edited by Locke087

First off Nintendo would never work with Sony they are mortal enemies... like seriously unless Nintendo goes third-party you will never see that happen and even then the more likely the team with Microsoft because of the ongoing bad blood between the two companies.

Secondly Nvidia already has the technology in place. They've been working on technology like this for a long time with their shields, and Nvidia's technology is also a lot easier to develop for. So Nintendo is far more likely to receive third-party support if they work with a company like Nvidia. There is no reason to work with any other company especially since Nvidia it is the only company this kind of technology in already in place. This all fits into Nintendos patterns of working with existing hardware, using a custom terga chip should come as a surprise to no one.

Oh really? Then explain how the DS and 3DS come out selling well using their own custom chipsets then....

EDIT: Not to mention that both of them also have strong third party support.

Edited by Harvey

Oh really? Then explain how the DS and 3DS come out selling well using their own custom chipsets then....

EDIT: Not to mention that both of them also have strong third party support.

The DS is using custom hardware as far as this graphical processors concerned but it runs on a but a AMR CPU just like the 3DS. The new graphics processor is probably a result of not finding a desirable one on the market that matched what they were aiming for. The 3DS uses a customized version of the PICA200 chip, and the Wii and the Wii U are based on upgraded versions of GameCube hardware. So yeah only DS is using custom hardware just so you know...

The DS third-party support can be explained as such... Man do I want my game on the second best selling console all-time yes, why yes I do. Even then western developers hardly made anything of note for it.

the 3DS has decent Japanese third-party support only, The DS had American and European publishers putting games on there but they put zero effort into said games, and behold with the 3DS there are pretty much none at all, I think Ubisoft did like a rayman origins port other then that I can't think of anything... The 3DS is strong Japanese third-party support is because the Japanese handheld market is generally stronger than the console market so many Japanese publishers do concentrate on this market. I'd like to remind you that even the Vita gets pretty decent support from Japanese publishers to this day.

The Switch is looking to tap into more markets than the traditional Handheld market does which is usually characterized by primarily Japanese support, with the Switch we need a lot more western support as well because it's not as traditionally portable as your average handheld. The handheld market continues to shrink and therefore Nintendo needed to develop a new strategy to revitalize it, at its current rate to Handheld market was only going to get more and more Niche.

In the end I don't really get your point, please tell me what they could gain from working with a random Japanese handware developer, when the Japanese hardware business is way behind the western one, when all their competitors are using western based hardware systems, when the entire industry standard is currently based on AMD and Nvidia processors. Never mind that Nvidia already has years of experience in creating high end portable consoles. Never mind is that the unique Japanese architecture consoles held back many third-party developers like the PS3's cell processor which most notably made Skyrim work like absolute crap on it. Never mind that one of the smartest moves the Sony made this generation was making a PS4 be on an AMD processor.

The reason why people moan and complain about compatibility and power with consoles and especially Nintendo ones is because they worry that western developers will not work with it, because it's hard to port too. Working with Nvidia is a very solid step in making Nintendo a lot easier to work with then they usually are.

In short if you want powerful, reliable, easy to develop for hardware Nvidia or AMD are where to go and Nintendo made the right choice in going to there.

That ended up long....

Edited by Locke087

The DS is using custom hardware as far as this graphical processors concerned but it runs on a but a AMR CPU just like the 3DS. The new graphics processor is probably a result of not finding a desirable one on the market that matched what they were aiming for. The 3DS uses a customized version of the PICA200 chip, and the Wii and the Wii U are based on upgraded versions of GameCube hardware. So yeah only DS is using custom hardware just so you know...

The DS third-party support can be explained as such... Man do I want my game on the second best selling console all-time yes, why yes I do. Even then western developers hardly made anything of note for it.

the 3DS has decent Japanese third-party support only, The DS had American and European publishers putting games on there but they put zero effort into said games, and behold with the 3DS there are pretty much none at all, I think Ubisoft did like a rayman origins port other then that I can't think of anything... The 3DS is strong Japanese third-party support is because the Japanese handheld market is generally stronger than the console market so many Japanese publishers do concentrate on this market. I'd like to remind you that even the Vita gets pretty decent support from Japanese publishers to this day.

The Switch is looking to tap into more markets than the traditional Handheld market does which is usually characterized by primarily Japanese support, with the Switch we need a lot more western support as well because it's not as traditionally portable as your average handheld. The handheld market continues to shrink and therefore Nintendo needed to develop a new strategy to revitalize it, at its current rate to Handheld market was only going to get more and more Niche.

In the end I don't really get your point, please tell me what they could gain from working with a random Japanese handware developer, when the Japanese hardware business is way behind the western one, when all their competitors are using western based hardware systems, when the entire industry standard is currently based on AMD and Nvidia processors. Never mind that Nvidia already has years of experience in creating high end portable consoles. Never mind is that the unique Japanese architecture consoles held back many third-party developers like the PS3's cell processor which most notably made Skyrim work like absolute crap on it. Never mind that one of the smartest moves the Sony made this generation was making a PS4 be on an AMD processor.

The reason why people moan and complain about compatibility and power with consoles and especially Nintendo ones is because they worry that western developers will not work with it, because it's hard to port too. Working with Nvidia is a very solid step in making Nintendo a lot easier to work with then they usually are.

In short if you want powerful, reliable, easy to develop for hardware Nvidia or AMD are where to go and Nintendo made the right choice in going to there.

That ended up long....

I disagree. Porting games no matter what powerful system Nintendo ends up with will only happen if the sales of their systems do big. There are a lot of ports done for the Wii but that's only because the Wii sold huge.

Further more, no...this may not make western devs get too big into Nintendo as usual and this has always happened ever since Nintendo started with the NES. For every system that Nintendo has sold well, many devs would rather go to the other consoles instead.

You say that there aren't that many games made by western devs for the DS? Well that's because many of them don't know how to make dual screen gaming like the Japanese devs do and the devs don't want to make games that unique or complex when it comes to them being assigned to Nintendo systems.

Then there's the problem of where the big money goes. EA is doing big on Mobile and PC, what is their reason to go to console gaming? Infact a lot of devs are just switching over to mobile and pc gaming rather than console gaming.

Nintendo will never get western third party support as much as Sony and Microsoft because western devs just don't see the market in the Nintendo systems.

Switch may seem convincing to them right now but soon it won't and I can assure you that you won't see many western devs making/porting games on Swtich. And this is simply because they would rather shift their production to Sony and Microsoft because they suit them more than Nintendo.

Posted · Hidden by Balcerzak, November 29, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by Balcerzak, November 29, 2016 - No reason given

That ended up long....

I disagree. Porting games no matter what powerful system Nintendo ends up with will only happen if the sales of their systems do big. There are a lot of ports done for the Wii but that's only because the Wii sold huge.

Further more, no...this may not make western devs get too big into Nintendo as usual and this has always happened ever since Nintendo started with the NES. For every system that Nintendo has sold well, many devs would rather go to the other consoles instead.

You say that there aren't that many games made by western devs for the DS? Well that's because many of them don't know how to make dual screen gaming like the Japanese devs do and the devs don't want to make games that unique or complex when it comes to them being assigned to Nintendo systems.

Then there's the problem of where the big money goes. EA is doing big on Mobile and PC, what is their reason to go to console gaming? Infact a lot of devs are just switching over to mobile and pc gaming rather than console gaming.

Nintendo will never get western third party support as much as Sony and Microsoft because western devs just don't see the market in the Nintendo systems.

Switch may seem convincing to them right now but soon it won't and I can assure you that you won't see many western devs making/porting games on Swtich. And this is simply because they would rather shift their production to Sony and Microsoft because they suit them more than Nintendo.

It seems that you skimmed my first point because that's what I said but if the Wii and the DS sold like absolute bonkers hence their third-party support, the interesting thing though is they got very lazy third-party support for whatever reason.

Let's see this is the first generation Nintendo has had an actual reason for third parties to want to Port games there since the GameCube the last time they had long-term third-party support. The Wiii U sold like absolute crap... the Wii had a very bad attach rate, I do to it's underpowered nature many people became multi console owner during that generation. Only time will tell how successful third parties will be on this console, but I think this is the first time third parties actually have a chance one of the Nintendo Console in a very long time. Third parties constantly complain that the people who own Nintendo counsole do not buy multi platform games on them. For the past few years it's been very true that you should never buy a Mulitplatform games Nintendo version as it will always be gimped in someway. But now the switch for the first time in my life since the early days of the GameCube I am actually considering buying a third-party game for Nintendo system. Because the Switch has a unique feature called portability that actually increases convenience, it is a legitimate consideration to make over having pure more power, which the Switch will have a perfectly decent amount of. Before the then it was you could have your game with a gimmick and extremely gimped graphics.

Did you just say that Western Devs are too incompetent make DS games... it's not about them not wanting to make the games unique, it's about them not wanting to commit resources to the DS. Unlike the Japanese market which has a large portion of it dedicated to handhelds the handheld market in the West is a lot smaller so from Western perspective when they make games that don't really appeal to Japanese people as much they don't see it as a wise investment to split off one of there teams to make one, it's all about the vicious cycle that says there is no market therefore I will not create the market. Then Nintendo for the first time in a long time has a chance to give western developers and easy way to pour there games to see if this experiment will work and more of them will do it initially if it actually works out we will see western handheld games.

Origin does okay for EA but the bulk with there money still comes from console game sells you do know that right? Games like Battlefield 1 and Star Wars Battlefront tend to get a lot of their sells on PS4. EA also does have a decent hold on the Mobile market thank to buying Popcap who make the bulk of their games on mobile. But mobile games tend to require less effort to make and really are just a win-win so they just make them every so often. But the thing is even though they do have some high grossing apps in the App Store, The casual mobile market is very unreliable and tend to only latch onto so many things at one time (hence why the App Store you are usually doing well or doing badly), so it's not a good way to predictively accrued income therefore remaining in the console space is wise for EA.

Really the way I see it the Switch either fails or has third-party support. I would find it massively intriguing to see a console successful with only Japanese support in our day and age. That would be a very odd happenstance but very unlikely considering how easy will be to Port games to it, if is actually successful third parties will not have a reason to not put the games on it. I would be intrigued indeed to see a console that is successful and has a decent attach rate unlike the Wii and only has major sales of excusive software.

And I already kind of addressed the other two points above...

Edited by Locke087

It seems that you skimmed my first point because that's what I said but if the Wii and the DS sold like absolute bonkers hence their third-party support, the interesting thing though is they got very lazy third-party support for whatever reason.

Let's see this is the first generation Nintendo has had an actual reason for third parties to want to Port games there since the GameCube the last time they had long-term third-party support. The Wiii U sold like absolute crap... the Wii had a very bad attach rate, I do to it's underpowered nature many people became multi console owner during that generation. Only time will tell how successful third parties will be on this console, but I think this is the first time third parties actually have a chance one of the Nintendo Console in a very long time. Third parties constantly complain that the people who own Nintendo counsole do not buy multi platform games on them. For the past few years it's been very true that you should never buy a Mulitplatform games Nintendo version as it will always be gimped in someway. But now the switch for the first time in my life since the early days of the GameCube I am actually considering buying a third-party game for Nintendo system. Because the Switch has a unique feature called portability that actually increases convenience, it is a legitimate consideration to make over having pure more power, which the Switch will have a perfectly decent amount of. Before the then it was you could have your game with a gimmick and extremely gimped graphics.

Did you just say that Western Devs are too incompetent make DS games... it's not about them not wanting to make the games unique, it's about them not wanting to commit resources to the DS. Unlike the Japanese market which has a large portion of it dedicated to handhelds the handheld market in the West is a lot smaller so from Western perspective when they make games that don't really appeal to Japanese people as much they don't see it as a wise investment to split off one of there teams to make one, it's all about the vicious cycle that says there is no market therefore I will not create the market. Then Nintendo for the first time in a long time has a chance to give western developers and easy way to pour there games to see if this experiment will work and more of them will do it initially if it actually works out we will see western handheld games.

Origin does okay for EA but the bulk with there money still comes from console game sells you do know that right? Games like Battlefield 1 and Star Wars Battlefront tend to get a lot of their sells on PS4. EA also does have a decent hold on the Mobile market thank to buying Popcap who make the bulk of their games on mobile. But mobile games tend to require less effort to make and really are just a win-win so they just make them every so often. But the thing is even though they do have some high grossing apps in the App Store, The casual mobile market is very unreliable and tend to only latch onto so many things at one time (hence why the App Store you are usually doing well or doing badly), so it's not a good way to predictively accrued income therefore remaining in the console space is wise for EA.

And I already kind of addressed the other two points above...

You don't buy Nintendo systems for third party games, you buy them for the only first party games/ some third party games that are exclusive to the system.

And I would like the source or proof that Nvidia has years of experience in making handheld portables please because there are only two handhelds that Nvidia has made as far as I'm aware. And of those two, all of them have issues running properly since the batteries overheat a lot.

Again, my argument here is that Nintendo doesn't need western devs to make games for them as they can simply provide support for Unity and attract indie devs to make games for them. A lot of the games that are released on Nintendo systems are released in Japan and the games in Japan sell higher than majority of the western games.

So the other issue is that competition. Why would Bethesda release Skyrim if Nintendo release Breadth of the wild which is bound to outsell skyrim? There's really no reason to motivate them to release games on Nintendo systems no matter how powerful the Switch is because they know that many people will only buy Nintendo games if they get Nintendo systems.

I'll bet you that the time the Switch releases, at first you will get western support but after a few moments, it'll stop. Its happened for the NES, SNES, GBA, Gamecube, DS, Wii, 3DS and the Wii U and it will happen over here as well.

Edited by Harvey

So the other issue is that competition. Why would Bethesda release Skyrim if Nintendo release Breadth of the wild which is bound to outsell skyrim? There's really no reason to motivate them to release games on Nintendo systems no matter how powerful the Switch is because they know that many people will only buy Nintendo games if they get Nintendo systems.

Bethesda is releasing Skyrim on Switch for the simple reason that Skyrim creator Todd Howard got to try out Switch and he loved it. He even hints that they will continue to support it after that.

What do you think of the Switch, Nintendo's newly announced console that is portable but also hooks up to your TV?

I love it. I got to play it. I will tell you – well, maybe that's an N.D.A. thing. One of the best demos I've ever seen. Probably the best demo I've ever seen. At E3.

Was it a Nintendo game?

I mean the device itself. I think it's really smart what they're doing. We're definitely going to be supporting it. It's the first time we've done something on Nintendo. If you don't count the old NES stuff. Home Alone. Or Where's Waldo?

Can you really bring Skyrim with you on the go?

It's the same game on the TV and on the other screen.

You don't buy Nintendo systems for third party games, you buy them for the only first party games/ some third party games that are exclusive to the system.

And I would like the source or proof that Nvidia has years of experience in making handheld portables please because there are only two handhelds that Nvidia has made as far as I'm aware. And of those two, all of them have issues running properly since the batteries overheat a lot.

Again, my argument here is that Nintendo doesn't need western devs to make games for them as they can simply provide support for Unity and attract indie devs to make games for them. A lot of the games that are released on Nintendo systems are released in Japan and the games in Japan sell higher than majority of the western games.

I'll bet you that the time the Switch releases, at first you will get western support but after a few moments, it'll stop. Its happened for the NES, SNES, GBA, Gamecube, DS, Wii, 3DS and the Wii U and it will happen over here as well.

Oh boy quite a lot to unpack here, Harvey first off please read some video game history, it's quite a fascinating read and it will help you understand the industry a lot. You wouldn't make be making wildly inaccurate statements like Nintendo would work with Sony and the NES didn't have third-party support for his whole lifetime (this had ROFL over how flippin inaccurate it is).

But I guess I have to start by teaching you video game history, bother....

The NES didn't only have some the highest quantity of third-party support in console history its whole life but resurrected the video game industry as a whole. Many of the western developers we know now did get their start true start on games they're known for on the PC, but a lot of them did have some of the earliest games on the NES, for example Bethesda had games on the NES. but the big games on console makers during the 8 and 16 bit era are not still alive anymore. But big guys like, Activision, Atari and Midway and others at the time we're putting their games on Nintendo systems.

During the 16 bit era Sega entered the battlefield and started to compete with Nintendo but both maintained very good support for the respective consoles, while these systems are often remembered for there Japanese games, that doesn't take away from the fact that many big especially at the time, western games were made for these platforms and were made for there entire lives, there was not a sudden drop in support (other than when the consoles died). Most of the legendary western games that came out during this era where again on the PC and were never Ported to console (or had half assed ports that were barely anything like the originals).

During the N64 era is where the industry started seeing some big shifts when Sony came out with the revolutionary PlayStation and introduced to the console world to disk-based media. This increased storage space allowed much larger games to be stored as having more than one disc wasn't prohibitively expensive as having more than one cartridge would be. It also made it so manufactures didn't have to go for Nintendo's very large licensing fees to produce games. This is why initially Nintendo lost their third-party support because third parties were getting sick of Nintendo crap as their previous grip on the game industry had allowed them to accrue these massive fees on publisherses. Culminating when Square gave Nintendo the middle finger (due to storage space issues) and made Final Fantasy 7 for the PlayStation.

Then we entered into the GameCube era (Best era in gaming for the win) where Nintendo decided it would be a great idea make the discs tiny for no reason... and behold the PS2 sold more mostly because it doubled as a DVD player. The tiny discs are also the reason why so many games on GameCube were multipart... but they did have third party support and was a lot better for the GameCube that it ever was for the N64, and it was pretty decent for its whole life spand most games that came to PS2 came to GameCube speaking as a person who never owned a PS2. Until the Xbox came out I could get every third party game that came out on GameCube speaking from personal experience as someone who actually grew up in the era and bought games. With the Xbox came out along with third party game start coming to it, due to its large increase in power and it's PC like development hardware. This is where the GameCube started to receive less support but still got some. This is because games were now primarily built for the Xbox and ported to the PS2 (due to its very high install base much higher then the GameCubes) in the case of western publishers (Xbox does and always will sell like crap in Japan, no matter how hard Microsoft tries Japan hates it) Japanese developer still primarily build theirs with PS2 in mind Porting to GameCube when possible. But the sad part is the GameCube overall sold fairly poorly because once again Nintendo gimped there console with mini discs for no dang reason, that's in the growing stigma the Nintendo was only for children.

And then we get into the Wii era which once again is a totally different beast in which Nintendo became officially massively underpowered been not even HD, meetingdevelopers had to make entirely exclusive games for the system while they were what ports they had to be massively downgraded in order to be on the console. If you didn't want to wildly inferior experience you now had to be a multi console owner as a Nintendo fan. And the damage was done and people stop considering buying non exclusives things for Nintendo Consoles not because it had the name Nintendo written on it, but because they were massively limited. Still the it was the Wild West as far as Shoveware aimed the casual consumer so can't say the Wii didn't have third-party support, it just had half assed third-party not aimed at the average gamer but the average people kind like the App Store... not a good thing but something to keep in mind, that Wii was aiming for the casual consumer much like the App Store.

So as I have shown you there is no historical precedent for Nintendo not being able to have a third-party support except when they're being total flippin idiots which is quite often sadly. You don't have to be the most successful consolel to receive support Xbox one was behind for quite a while this generation but still receive support.

Okay moving on, have you ever stepped onto the Wii U Eshop. There's actually quite a bit of indie games on thereindie support it not actually not really a problem for Nintendo they already have clear indie support, could they have more certainly but I wouldn't call it bad. As much as I love indie games (some of my favorite games ever are Indie) they don't sell consoles otherwise the Vita would've been a hit it still gets great Indie support... they are more like the cherry on top that keep people on the console, they will absolutely help keep your console alive and their necessary to have, but they do not sell consoles as much as I would love if they did. Third-party support absolutely has been proven to sell consoles especially this generation which Sony won out with little to no exclusives, because Microsoft messed up their marketing and messaging initially. Just because in the past few years due to ever decreasing install base/crap attach rates (with Wii) doesn't mean multi platform games cannot sell well wanted to do a console, and they did relatively well the GameCube despite its small initial base overall, the Games did overall better on PS2 because PS2 simply had more onwers.

But here's the fact that there is a large group of people that see no reason to own more than one Console they simply cannot afford more than one. I know this was me as a kid my mom wouldn't buy me another one we just rented a PS2 or PS1 one every so often The switch is opportunity to combat this by making it a convincing argument that is something different to the current console you own it also with third-party support percents opportunity to those that can't afford more than one or two now consider the Nintendo option as it provides a far more convenience then the others. When the GameCube failed Nintendo a conducted a survey of the gate of the video game industry as a whole the results that came back with was to not to compete with Microsoft and Sony by chasing the latest and greatest graphics. And they've been following this mantra since the Wii. With the switch the time to keep this mantra they are not directly competing but they also get a chance at snag in the market that Microsoft and Sony have, so they able to tap into multiple markets. Hence why they made the Switch be a Duel Console not solely a really powerful portable. If they want to chance at snag at this market they do need third-party support which has been as has been proven in spades by Sony. If they did not want to snag at the traditional console market as well they wouldn't have made it connect to a TV as well. This allows the Switch do have a far higher sales potential that it would be if it just was a portable. Companies do not aiming for moderate success basic aim for a lot of success, this is Nintendo's plan it may work it may not only time will tell. I personally am hopeful as the Switch is all I ever wanted in the console.

As far as my statement about Nvidia's experience in making high-end handhelds you are correct that Nvidia has only made a couple in the past few years. What I meant to say is that they already have experience, not years of experience that was a mess up on my part I didn't think about years of experience is being interpreted as like 10 or so years, I thought of it more as two or three years which is not the way anyone would interpret that sentence so sorry my bad. But the reason I mention this experience is because the Tegra is the most powerful portable chip in the market and Nvidia had some time working on it, this is the obvious way to go rather than going through all the R&D to create your own chip when the chip of the quality you're looking for already exists to work on as a base remember this is a custom Terga chip. It also allows developers to become more familiar your hardware faster, being easy to develop for is always good and there is zero downsides to it.

Edited by Locke087

As far as my statement about Nvidia's experience in making high-end handhelds you are correct that Nvidia has only made a couple in the past few years. What I meant to say is that they already have experience, not years of experience that was a mess up on my part I didn't think about years of experience is being interpreted as like 10 or so years, I thought of it more as two or three years which is not the way anyone would interpret that sentence so sorry my bad. But the reason I mention this experience is because the Tegra is the most powerful portable chip in the market and Nvidia had some time working on it, this is the obvious way to go rather than going through all the R&D to create your own chip when the chip of the quality you're looking for already exists to work on as a base remember this is a custom Terga chip. It also allows developers to become more familiar your hardware faster, being easy to develop for is always good and there is zero downsides to it.

Look...I'm not gonna bother reading that history because that is something I'm fully aware of and has been repeated like thousands of times already. But really that whole essay didn't matter because you yourself admitted that the most commercial ones and the most influential ones are the ones from Japan. This alone proves that western devs are simply not going to get any motivation on making Nintendo games further.

If you look at every single game that's released on every Nintendo system, the ones that are known the best are the ones made from Japan. And when you yourself stated that most of these western devs originated from PC, then why oh why would they ever decide to go to consoles? Is it because they make good profits there? No. Infact, they can make easy money simply going to mobile/PC market. The only reason they try the console market is because they simply want to expand the market further but really...for devs like SEGA, EA and all, there's no reason for them to not ditch console gaming because they are better off on PC and Mobile.

As for Tegra, buddy, even if you made a bad one there, the Tegra still leaves a lot of issues. If its truly that powerful, then what about the battery life? It will drain a whole lot and I can easily assume that it will suck out a lot of power when playing it on the go. It'll probably be even worse than the 3DS battery life. And if the thing overheats, that is also not good at all. This coming from some one who's had a "good" experience is honestly bad because not only did they have serious issues running them smoothly but they also decided to discontinue the shield brand altogether.

Again, I'm assuring you that Nintendo will NEVER get a lot of WESTERN party support because their library and the amount of quality games that Japanese devs have majority of the times easily OUTSELL the ones that western devs have. Sure there may be a couple or a few more but that's just it. The rest goes to the winner which is Japan.

As for Bethesda, just wait and see as I assure you that they will make a cheap mark and just ditch it off quietly.

Hell, just look at EA towards Nintendo now

http://gonintendo.com/stories/269409-ea-nintendo-a-very-important-partner-huge-fans-of-nintendo

Do you seriously think that EA will ever make games for Nintendo when

1. They make more money on PC and Mobile and

2. When they never made even ONE game for the 3DS? (as far as I'm aware of).