"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Jimmy Fallon from The Tonight Show managed to get a few minutes playing the Switch version of Breath of the Wild live.

Nice marketing move from Nintendo. I don't know how popular the show is, but from a quick Google search I'm led to believe it's one of the most popular TV shows in America. So it's great so many viewers managed to see this.

I'm surprised how thin the Switch is. The days of the chunky Wii U Game Pad are over.

Apparently the Wii U version of Yooka-Laylee has been cancelled, but there will be a Switch version.

Unsurprising-- Bloodstained will almost certainly be next (wouldn't be surprised if the Vita gets dumped there as well).

Edited by The DanMan

Apparently the Wii U version of Yooka-Laylee has been cancelled, but there will be a Switch version.

*Makes a game out of N64 nostalgia*

*Game has graphics SO POWERFUL that they have to cancel the Wii U port*

Oh, the irony. At least they're letting backers move their pledges to the Switch (or any other version).

*Makes a game out of N64 nostalgia*

*Game has graphics SO POWERFUL that they have to cancel the Wii U port*

Oh, the irony. At least they're letting backers move their pledges to the Switch (or any other version).

Making a game harken back to the style of older games doesn't have to be a limitation.

Especially graphically in this case, N64 games don't look good.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this stated a few weeks ago? Also, I don't know how I feel don't know how I feel about this. The Wii U is pretty much dead. But cancelling a game that is said to come out sucks

Yooka-Laylee likely got cancelled because the Wii U is a huge effort to port games to. Nintendo had been running with Power PC architecture for ages, but the Switch will finally be something more standard compared to the rest of the industry.

While Mighty No 9 was not a good game, the Wii U port was by far the worst version of the game. The Wii U does not play nice with Unreal Engine or Unity.

Meanwhile the Vita was designed to have compatibility with the PS4 for remote play. Despite poor market penetration, a port for the system is not a significant extra expense if it's already on the PS4.

It sucks that a lot of Wii U games are being cancelled but the system is not popular enough to justify the abnormal difficulty of creating a port for the system.

It sucks that a lot of Wii U games are being cancelled but the system is not popular enough to justify the abnormal difficulty of creating a port for the system.

It depends on how you port games to the system. The Wii U certainly cannot render game engines like Cry engine and all other fancy ones. It could obviously do Unity...which I find it odd because Yoka-Lalyee is developed under Unity.

The excuse is simple. The Switch is out, many devs are lazy to port it to the Wii U when they can instead put the effort into porting it to the Switch. Its a simple business tactic that works.

But again, porting games to the Wii U is possible IF effort is made.

Unity is actually pretty hard to port to the Wii U and 3DS. It's possible, but it's not optimal. Especially with the way the lighting passes are being done in Yooka-Laylee, I actually don't find it hard to believe the Wii U was struggling. That system is on par with the PS3 in power, and that's a nearly a 10 year old system at this point.

People made porting efforts when the Wii U first came out to mixed success. EA gave up quickly while Activision and Ubisoft stuck around a little longer. Even Square Enix gave up after porting their "best" edition of Deus Ex Human Revolution. SE has instead faithfully supported the much more popular 3DS instead. However all those companies have looked at the Switch as a platform to port to and we know with nvidia on board that it will be easier than ever before. Even Bethesda, who have notoriously avoided Nintendo for something like 4 console generations, to bring their most popular game to the Switch as a potential launch title.

On the other hand, Stardew Valley was not made in Unity and probably would have been an easier port job, but they mentioned it was just not financially viable to release a Wii U version because the Switch would be out on the market by then. With Yooka-Laylee having technical problems with the Wii U and potentially releasing in April if rumours are to be believed, that game would also drop in April and the Wii U would essentially be dead to anyone who doesn't already own one. You might as well shoot for their primo shelf space instead of wallowing in the dead space that is the Wii U section.

I can also vouch hearing from an acquaintance who worked at EA during our university years that the first time they were given the Wii U dev kits and compiler, the entire thing was all in Japanese, it had tons of errors and there was very little good documentation of the system during release. Which is why they were fooling around with a lot of technical hurdles before they got it working. Which is why the crappy fifa version was released. Unlike when the GCN and Xbox were first release where everything was well documented and ready to go.

With the possible Path of Radiance VC, would a full translation actually come out? I've heard that the localized version had cut out some scenes that were in the original JP version. (Or was that the sequel?)

With the possible Path of Radiance VC, would a full translation actually come out? I've heard that the localized version had cut out some scenes that were in the original JP version. (Or was that the sequel?)

Don't expect that. For VC, Nintendo releases the already localized version. There have been a few Japanese releases on the US/EU eShop, but those had minimal translation jobs (Sin & Punishment) or none at all (SMB2JP, Murasame Castle)

Don't expect that. For VC, Nintendo releases the already localized version. There have been a few Japanese releases on the US/EU eShop, but those had minimal translation jobs (Sin & Punishment) or none at all (SMB2JP, Murasame Castle)

I think the cut "extended" dialogue was a RD thing anyway.

Essentially, some scenes in FE10 had longer versions used on higher difficulties (Hard and Maniac). For whatever reason, the localizers used the short version on all of them.

...This actually wound up cutting some important plot details, from what I understand.

I think the cut "extended" dialogue was a RD thing anyway.

Essentially, some scenes in FE10 had longer versions used on higher difficulties (Hard and Maniac). For whatever reason, the localizers used the short version on all of them.

...This actually wound up cutting some important plot details, from what I understand.

Well, here's to hoping that they'll actually rectify that she the VC versions of games come through. If the GC prequel is fine, though, then here's to waiting for that on the Switch.