"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

Guys, please. I don't want to mini-mod but I feel this thread has gone off-topic far enough. You guys can create a dedicated thread for that subject, but can we please keep this one to exclusively discuss Nintendo Switch and its games?

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'll agree that Miyamoto is getting too old for his job and he needs to stop meddling when fans actually LIKE and WANT the story stuff he keeps forcing to be removed, Jave is right, this is off topic and we should move on.

I don't really have many actual predictions for Switch launch titles... I really hope the Luigi's Mansion 3 rumor is true, of course. There will probably be a Wii/Wii U Sports-like game. And I do think Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be launch. But other than that, I'm not sure. Maybe that Splatoon game? Meh. I'd rather have the Mario Switch game. But having LM3, 3D Mario, AND Zelda all at once might be a bit much.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm hoping for DQXI being launch in Japan, especially if the system is region free. That will seriously help get it off the ground in that region. Dragon Quest's influence really cannot be understated.

If it's region free, sooner DQ for me, soooooooooo...

I will say I don't expect DQXI coming to the US/Europe until next year though, so I won't be getting my hopes up. A simultaneous release for a Dragon Quest game is lofty thinking, as DQ isn't nearly as huge in NA/Europe as it is in Japan. So I'm not going to set myself for disappointment here. I think we'll get it (SE seems happy enough with how VII did that they've put X of all things into under consideration, and X is pretty much guarenteed to be the costliest DQ to localize, between translation, servers, hiring GM's, etc.) but not right away.

Besides that the game I want at launch (for the region I'm in) is Breath of the Wild. Nintendo really seems to be trying to make something truly special here, and I can't wait to see how they deliver.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I don't really have many actual predictions for Switch launch titles... I really hope the Luigi's Mansion 3 rumor is true, of course. .

To be honest, I really don't mind if there's no sequel to this...I love the original better than Dark Moon simply because the original does many things that the sequel lacked on like better ghosts designs.

To be honest, I really don't mind if there's no sequel to this...I love the original better than Dark Moon simply because the original does many things that the sequel lacked on like better ghosts designs.

Dude I feel the same I did not like dark moon even half as much as the original. But if they made 3 a proper follow-up to the original with more original designs and bosses, while still being focused on exploration throughout the whole game as opposed to the mission-based design of dark moon I would love that. Considering that dark moon was made with the handhelds in mind a console version might fix these problem, as a short sessions mission-based design is usually the hallmark of a handheld game. So I would only be excited for a sequel once I knew it was going in the right direction.

First launch titles go I don't really have much else to say other than what the rumors have already said I think the rumor is that correct really my only prediction.

Edited by Locke087

Sorry, but I disagree entirely. Dark Moon did just about everything better than the original. It's a longer game, it has more creative mansions, better ghost designs, using the Poltergust doesn't hurt my hand as much, the humor is even funnier, and the story is better. Also, Polterpup is adorable. The only thing I was missing from the original were the elemental medals.

Dark Moon needs a sequel, imo, it was fantastic and is still my favorite handheld game period right now.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm hoping for DQXI being launch in Japan, especially if the system is region free. That will seriously help get it off the ground in that region. Dragon Quest's influence really cannot be understated.

If it's region free, sooner DQ for me, soooooooooo...

I will say I don't expect DQXI coming to the US/Europe until next year though, so I won't be getting my hopes up. A simultaneous release for a Dragon Quest game is lofty thinking, as DQ isn't nearly as huge in NA/Europe as it is in Japan. So I'm not going to set myself for disappointment here. I think we'll get it (SE seems happy enough with how VII did that they've put X of all things into under consideration, and X is pretty much guarenteed to be the costliest DQ to localize, between translation, servers, hiring GM's, etc.) but not right away.

Besides that the game I want at launch (for the region I'm in) is Breath of the Wild. Nintendo really seems to be trying to make something truly special here, and I can't wait to see how they deliver.

I don't understand the appeal of Dragon Quest owo

Why Japan loves it so much?

I don't understand the appeal of Dragon Quest owo

Why Japan loves it so much?

For me at least, it's because the games are so consistent in their quality since DQV. I really like the traditionalist battle mechanics. They're easy to understand, but require the player to know what they're doing with statuses. The more recent games (not pretending about the NES games) aren't even that grindy, contrary to what some might lead you to believe. It's grindy if you try and brute force the game, but they're designed to let the player take advantage of the status tools at their disposal. There are exceptions where I'd change up the spell/skill lists (cough Angelo/Kukule and Multiheal/HealUs hack) but for the most part in the games I've played it's fine, really.

The casts can be considered another reason, ESPECIALLY in the games with Party Chat (a feature introduced in the original version of VII on PSX, it went on to be included in VIII and retconned into IV-VI in the DS remakes. It's basically talking to party members to get their reactions to even the most simple thing as a NPC welcoming the party to a town. There were some missed opportunities though, Terry has no Party Chat in Felonia for instance, not even the "special BSOD ellipses" his sister got.)

Though at its core, it's something that's very traditionalist and that's just something that may or may not appeal. Dragon Quest X was the worst selling DQ in Japan, this was very likely to be due to the MMO aspect not being what's tradition.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I believe I saw an article the other day saying Square has plans to try really pushing Dragon Quest in the West. Probably because the success of Bravely Default and Bravely Second reassured them people actually like traditional RPGs. I've only played Dragon Quest 1 but I still liked it even if I'm told it's not one of the better ones so I hope it works out.

yeah even though the bravely games are basically uplifted old school final fantasy games, the battle system is a bit closer to dragon quest.

love the dragon quest games, xi might be my second most anticipated switch game after botw.

Edited by Radiant head

I believe I saw an article the other day saying Square has plans to try really pushing Dragon Quest in the West. Probably because the success of Bravely Default and Bravely Second reassured them people actually like traditional RPGs. I've only played Dragon Quest 1 but I still liked it even if I'm told it's not one of the better ones so I hope it works out.

Its here if you guys want clarification

http://gonintendo.com/stories/271201-dragon-quest-executive-producer-on-making-the-series-more-popular

Welp, some guy over on reddit (who has a decent track record) says that Best Buy's internal system has updated. The price: $250. To the surprise of nobody.

Also, there's a rumor that has been validated by Laura Kate Dale (who's been pretty spot on):

http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-koei-tecmo-working-on-new-nintendo-themed-warriors-game-for-switch/

"Koei Tecmo working on a new Nintendo-themed Warriors game for Switch".

...Inb4 it's another Hyrule Warriors port/expansion. I don't wanna get my hopes up.

Edited by The DanMan

Welp, some guy over on reddit (who has a decent track record) says that Best Buy's internal system has updated. The price: $250. To the surprise of nobody.

Also, there's a rumor that has been validated by Laura Kate Dale (who's been pretty spot on):

http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-koei-tecmo-working-on-new-nintendo-themed-warriors-game-for-switch/

"Koei Tecmo working on a new Nintendo-themed Warriors game for Switch".

...Inb4 it's another Hyrule Warriors port/expansion. I don't wanna get my hopes up.

Maybe its like Smash Warriors, which I'd play in a heartbeat.

Also in that article itself

"Apparently, the project is not a retread of Zelda, nor is it based on Star Fox. Laura Kate Dale, who has been posting Switch rumors over the past few months (many of which have proven accurate thus far), wrote last month that Koei Tecmo pitched a Star Fox Warriors title at some point, but Nintendo turned it down."

Ngl I'd have played Star Fox Warriors.

Edited by Jedi The Red

Maybe its like Smash Warriors, which I'd play in a heartbeat.

Also in that article itself

"Apparently, the project is not a retread of Zelda, nor is it based on Star Fox. Laura Kate Dale, who has been posting Switch rumors over the past few months (many of which have proven accurate thus far), wrote last month that Koei Tecmo pitched a Star Fox Warriors title at some point, but Nintendo turned it down."

Ngl I'd have played Star Fox Warriors.

They probably rejected it because Zero wasn't well received.

It could be Fire Emblem Warriors. Wasn't there a voting in Japan that said that out of all Nintendo franchises, people wanted Fire Emblem as a Musou game the most?

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonquest/comments/5mzntc/rumor_photo_of_nintendo_switchs_launch_titles_has/

Seems to have been a possible European Gamestop Leak with placeholder dates and names, take with a grain of salt.

Don't really have confidence in the inclusion of Dragon Quest X, since... well, Dragon Quest MMO.

They probably rejected it because Zero wasn't well received.

It could be Fire Emblem Warriors. Wasn't there a voting in Japan that said that out of all Nintendo franchises, people wanted Fire Emblem as a Musou game the most?

I realize that, I'm just saying that as a Star Fox fan.

Well Koei has yet to pitch FE Warriors, the only pitches we've heard of is Mario, Pokemon and now Star Fox. It could be this is FE, but we haven't heard anything indicating that aside from fan want.

They may see it as the most "boring and logical choice", and thus be adverse to doing it, but I'm not Koei so I dno. Even if I have been following them for years upon years.

Edited by Jedi The Red

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonquest/comments/5mzntc/rumor_photo_of_nintendo_switchs_launch_titles_has/

Seems to have been a possible European Gamestop Leak with placeholder dates and names, take with a grain of salt.

Don't really have confidence in the inclusion of Dragon Quest X, since... well, Dragon Quest MMO.

That's probably fake/inaccurate, yeah. The Switch trailer showed King Boo in the Mario Kart game and he's not in MK8. Mario Kart games have never just been ported over to the next console, it was always a new Mario Kart game entirely. So it's more than likely Mario Kart 9 or Mario Kart Switch or something like that.

Also, Splatoon apparently had new tentacle styles for the Inklings. It's possibly Splatoon 2 or something instead of a port as well.

And I REALLY hope that Warriors game is an FE one! I want to smash enemies to pieces with Ike and his bigass swords and axes Hyrule Warriors style! XD (surely he'll get to be able to use Ragnell, Urvan, Alondite, and Ettard?)

Edited by Anacybele

That's probably fake/inaccurate, yeah. The Switch trailer showed King Boo in the Mario Kart game and he's not in MK8. Mario Kart games have never just been ported over to the next console, it was always a new Mario Kart game entirely. So it's more than likely Mario Kart 9 or Mario Kart Switch or something like that.

Also, Splatoon apparently had new tentacle styles for the Inklings. It's possibly Splatoon 2 or something instead of a port as well.

They can port the MK8 engine and add King Boo just fine. It'd still, technically, be a port, just an enhanced one. The 3DS version of DQ8 coming out in a week and a half is technically a port with some additional content, such as some post game boss fights and additional cutscenes. Contrast the DQ7 remake, which was pretty much a ground up remake of the PSX game.

They can port the MK8 engine and add King Boo just fine. It'd still, technically, be a port, just an enhanced one. The 3DS version of DQ8 coming out in a week and a half is technically a port with some additional content, such as some post game boss fights and additional cutscenes. Contrast the DQ7 remake, which was pretty much a ground up remake of the PSX game.

Duh, of course they can do that. I'm saying that they have chosen NOT to as of this point. Every MK game on a new console has been a brand new game, not a port. So I find it unlikely that this MK game on the Switch is MK8 for this reason.

King Boo may not be the only additional character either. We could very well see Bowser Jr. and Birdo return as well.

Edited by Anacybele

Mario Kart on Switch definitely looks like it's going to be an enhanced MK8 based on the footage we saw in the reveal trailer. It'll likely have all the Base content and DLC from MK8, with some new tracks and characters added in, and maybe a "proper" Battle Mode. Regardless if they call it Mario Kart 9 or Mario Kart 8.5 or Mario Kart Switch or whatever, it won't change the fact that it's going to be an enhanced port.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the new stuff in MK8 Switch was originally planned as another DLC batch for MK8 on Wii U but got moved to Switch when Nintendo realized the Wii U was dying.

Isn't Mario Kart 8 just a port of Mario Kart Wii anyway? I want to see F-ZERO on the Switch. And Kirby Air Ride 2.

Edited by Zera

Duh, of course they can do that. I'm saying that they have chosen NOT to as of this point. Every MK game on a new console has been a brand new game, not a port. So I find it unlikely that this MK game on the Switch is MK8 for this reason.

King Boo may not be the only additional character either. We could very well see Bowser Jr. and Birdo return as well.

Oh I hope so because the roster was really bland.

This makes me legitimately sad. I'd play a Star Fox Warriors game in a HEARTBEAT! It'd be fantastic! The cast'd be a lot smaller since there just aren't as many SF characters as there are Zelda or FE, but it'd be awesome! All the Cornerian troops would be perfect for your army, and if you're playing as Pigma (or another antagonist) then Andross's army'd fit the bill.

This makes me legitimately sad. I'd play a Star Fox Warriors game in a HEARTBEAT! It'd be fantastic! The cast'd be a lot smaller since there just aren't as many SF characters as there are Zelda or FE, but it'd be awesome! All the Cornerian troops would be perfect for your army, and if you're playing as Pigma (or another antagonist) then Andross's army'd fit the bill.

It'd also give a chance to play as like Bill, Kat and such, (Krystal could even use like Fox's moveset from Adventures).