"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

FE, as a franchise about Loads and Loads of characters beating up a force much larger than theirs, is actually a great fit for Warriors gameplay as far as I can tell. They have a pool to pick from with some diversity, and the usual scenario of the series works quite well.

This is a spinoff. Treat it as such, lol. Spinoffs aren't obligated to play like the series they're based on. Even with the only other Warriors-themed spinoffs I know something about, I can tell you that they play nothing like Zelda or Dragon Quest's main series.

By your "logic," Mario games should all be platformers and the RPGs, Kart racers, party games, etc. should not exist.

This post sums up my thoughts exactly.

Also, the marriage mechanic is NOT what made FE popular. The marketing and addition of casual mode did, if you ask me.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By your "logic," Mario games should all be platformers and the RPGs, Kart racers, party games, etc. should not exist.

Even those spin offs that you mentioned have SOME platforming here and there especially RPGs. No matter how different they are, they atleast try to implement the main things of the actual series.

And also, what about Federation Force? If I say that game's a spin off, nobody will accept it or even take it with a grain of salt so its not like people need to get used to such things, its that people need to like them and I seriously doubt that FE Warriors will be what people expect it to be.

I don't understand why Nintendo is even bothering to let third parties borrow their IPs and do them in odd ways that Nintendo wouldn't even think of in the first place.

FE is getting all the more screwed up because of third parties messing it around. The ones who like TMS like it because its mostly a SMT game and SOLELY a SMT game.

Why have Fire Emblem Warriors? Nobody asked for it and its not like it will sell the same level as Hyrule Warriors and besides, we don't even know how the Switch will sell in the end so why risk on making a spin off at this point of time when they should just stick to releasing the main games already? I can understand the amount of stress IS went through to make Fates so I understand that they can't just make another one for Switch right now...but putting a spin off at this point of time when the Switch needs first party games more than third party games is ridiculous.

There was literally a thread made days before the announcement asking what warriors games people would like to see and practically everyone said Fire Emblem. Granted this is a Fire Emblem forum so that's to be expected, but still, the question was posed and answered so clearly people did want it.

Even those spin offs that you mentioned have SOME platforming here and there especially RPGs. No matter how different they are, they atleast try to implement the main things of the actual series.

And who's to say Koei won't try to implement, say, class changing/promoting, weapon triangles, and level ups with stat increases?

Edited by Anacybele

Well its a poll so what do you expect? People will get hype over something that they have absolutely no idea about. Remember how people were so hyped about the Wii U back then and now its a joke.

But even if people wanted it, I don't see how this fits into FE at all. FE is a game about tactics and decision making. What is so tactical about a game where you swing your blade to like what? 50 enemy units coming right at you? Where's the tactical strategy in that? Infact, where IS the strategy? Atleast TMS as much as I don't like to mention or look at it has SOME strategy involved but this one most likely won't.

And just how will Nintendo ever give those who want that waifu mechanic which is what mainly made FE so popular in the first place?

EDIT: And just for the record, I know that most of you lot will still complain that its not like how you wanted it and that it won't even fit into it. The fact that comments were quite about it was just proof enough that they had no idea how a Warrior brand would fit into FE.

Who knows? Maybe that FE direct will explain more on it but I'm willing to place a bet that when you see how it plays, you'll just end up saying "meh" and just end up getting disappointed in the end. That's just what third parties in general do when making games using Nintendo IP.

You're such a blind 1st party Nintendo Zealot, its really quite sad to see.

People know what they are getting into when they see the title "FE Warriors" they see fire emblem characters using the Warriors system, and Koei is usually pretty good about incorporating a series structure/look/feel into said Hack N Slash gameplay. It worked quite well for Zelda, they even added in treasure chests, Zelda styled combat with generals (I.E Dodge Rolls and flips) with giant bosses to take down, with a variety of sub weapons that Zelda is known for.

Koei has done some tactical games in the past, like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Nobunaga's Ambition, Dynasty Tactics, Kessen and well heck the Empires Warriors spinoffs even count, and is probably the best thing to bring up here, where you had to build up troops, do relations with other factions, and tactics while battles were like Warriors, you had some "tactics" options and could order your people around who you weren't controlling, but thats not a major draw of the Warriors franchise.

But you're kidding yourself when you say "People don't know what they are getting".

Edited by Jedi

And also, what about Federation Force? If I say that game's a spin off, nobody will accept it or even take it with a grain of salt so its not like people need to get used to such things, its that people need to like them and I seriously doubt that FE Warriors will be what people expect it to be.

Tbh I think the problem with FF is that Metroid fans have been waiting on something traditional and haven't gotten it for quite some time. There may also have been some advertising it as a main game or something, but I'm not part of that fandom though, so I don't really have a means of knowing for sure.

As for the first statement, I don't see the point you're trying to make. How does Mario Kart (which consistently outsells mainline Mario iirc) involve platforming in any meaningful way? Or Mario Party? The RPGs I can see, but MK and MP? I don't see it.

And again, Warriors plays nothing like The Legend of Zelda or Dragon Quest and those fandoms pretty much welcomed their respective Musou spinoffs (Hyrule Warriors/Dragon Quest Heroes) with open arms.

As for the first statement, I don't see the point you're trying to make. How does Mario Kart (which consistently outsells mainline Mario iirc) involve platforming in any meaningful way? Or Mario Party? The RPGs I can see, but MK and MP? I don't see it.

MK games have some platforming to do only instead of using jumping here, you simply run to the booster hoping to reach to the other side. Plus you have to collect coins as well.

Same thing for Mario Party. Some mini games have platforming in them and the start of the turn, you have to jump on the dice block like how you do so for question blocks.

You're such a blind 1st party Nintendo Zealot, its really quite sad to see.

People know what they are getting into when they see the title "FE Warriors" they see fire emblem characters using the Warriors system, and Koei is usually pretty good about incorporating a series structure/look/feel into said Hack N Slash gameplay. It worked quite well for Zelda, they even added in treasure chests, Zelda styled combat with generals (I.E Dodge Rolls and flips) with giant bosses to take down, with a variety of sub weapons that Zelda is known for.

Koei has done some tactical games in the past, like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Nobunaga's Ambition, Dynasty Tactics, Kessen and well heck the Empires Warriors spinoffs even count, and is probably the best thing to bring up here, where you had to build up troops, do relations with other factions, and tactics while battles were like Warriors, you had some "tactics" options and could order your people around who you weren't controlling, but thats not a major draw of the Warriors franchise.

But you're kidding yourself when you say "People don't know what they are getting".

Here's the thing, Hyrule Warriors is just too repetitive and just plain bland. What do you do in the game exactly besides the hack and slash? The amount of slashing is simply mindless and gets really tiring after a while.

They did a good job reskining a warriors game into a Zelda IP which is basically that. There's nothing special about the overall game besides having Zelda characters simple as that.

Right now, Nintendo needs lots of first party games and that is the mistake they did with the Wii U with lack of first party games at launch and even after that. If Nintendo did a huge supply of first party games, the Switch will sell well and if it sells well, third parties will get more into it and then I can accept a game like FE warriors to happen. I just feel that its too early to do something this risky as its made by Tecmo and not by IS.

Whether I'm a blind fanboy or not doesn't matter. The fact is that people buy Nintendo systems to GET Nintendo games. The presentation shown barely had a minute to spare over for third party games...infact, the third party devs weren't even excited to be there at all. That alone just shows how 1st party games outdo the third parties. Don't believe me? Just look at every single Nintendo system out there and the first party titles always are at the top.

But hey, if you guys like the game and are hyped for it, go ahead be my guest. Just don't expect it to be the way YOU want it at the end because it may or may not be so at the end.

Edited by Harvey

MK games have some platforming to do only instead of using jumping here, you simply run to the booster hoping to reach to the other side. Plus you have to collect coins as well.

Same thing for Mario Party. Some mini games have platforming in them and the start of the turn, you have to jump on the dice block like how you do so for question blocks.

Here's the thing, Hyrule Warriors is just too repetitive and just plain bland. What do you do in the game exactly besides the hack and slash? The amount of slashing is simply mindless and gets really tiring after a while.

They did a good job reskining a warriors game into a Zelda IP which is basically that. There's nothing special about the overall game besides having Zelda characters simple as that.

Right now, Nintendo needs lots of first party games and that is the mistake they did with the Wii U with lack of first party games at launch and even after that. If Nintendo did a huge supply of first party games, the Switch will sell well and if it sells well, third parties will get more into it and then I can accept a game like FE warriors to happen. I just feel that its too early to do something this risky as its made by Tecmo and not by IS.

But hey, if you guys like the game and are hyped for it, go ahead be my guest. Just don't expect it to be the way YOU want it at the end because it may or may not be so at the end.

I agree that it'd be good to see more first party titles coming out of Nintendo, but other companies using their IPs is a pretty irrelevant fact in that matter. It doesn't cost Nintendo anything for someone else to develop a game using their IP. Maybe a very small quality check team and that's it. They still have the same amount of time and resources to develop their own games no matter how many spin offs are made by other people.

How the hell would IS make a Hack-n-Slash spinoff?

I'm sure IS is working on something unannounced anyway. Again, the development of FE Musou doesn't affect their work schedule on the main series.

Also, finding HW bland is an opinion that I'm absolutely positive that many disagree with. People know what they're asking for with FE Musou, a Warriors game with Fire Emblem.

Honestly I'm only concerned about representation issues.

I don't understand why Nintendo is even bothering to let third parties borrow their IPs and do them in odd ways that Nintendo wouldn't even think of in the first place.

FE is getting all the more screwed up because of third parties messing it around. The ones who like TMS like it because its mostly a SMT game and SOLELY a SMT game.

Why have Fire Emblem Warriors? Nobody asked for it and its not like it will sell the same level as Hyrule Warriors and besides, we don't even know how the Switch will sell in the end so why risk on making a spin off at this point of time when they should just stick to releasing the main games already? I can understand the amount of stress IS went through to make Fates so I understand that they can't just make another one for Switch right now...but putting a spin off at this point of time when the Switch needs first party games more than third party games is ridiculous.

Here I am, standing in broad daylight! My very existence a contradiction to this statement! For I, Vicious Sal, have never played a SMT game (shame on me!), yet I still enjoy TMS#FE for not only its characteristics from games I have not played, but mostly, because I like the Fact that it incorporates Fire Emblem characteristics in this game! Woe on me, for My existence should not be able to be, for Harvey clearly know what every other person on this planet likes and dislikes! How my souls is being torn by his words, for I can not seem to share my being in the same time-space continuum!

Long story short, you don't know what everyone likes, you clearly have no sense of game development, since, as others have stated, these 3rd party games do not at all interfere with main titles. And your comparisons are laugable. Mario Kart is still part platformer? Ah yes, Fire Emblem as a series is also Part platformer because FE10 used ledges in 4 chapters! Did you know The Legend Of Zelda is solely, a fullfledged fishing game because Link can fish in some areas?

Have you ever heard of a little game from the GameCube era called Metroid Prime?

So Reggie also seems to be implying that they're going to charge for internet so they can make it better. I can live with that. :D So long as the price is fair, of course, and Nintendo's been pretty good about that, so I'm not too worried.

To answer your question, here's a new interview with him and ProJared: It's both! He explicitly says it will be for the Switch and existing systems, so it looks like we may be able to transfer VC games from the Wii U and 3DS to Switch at least.

Edited by InfinityAlex

4 hours ago, InfinityAlex said:

Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but Reggie has confirmed games will be tied to the Nintendo Account from now on. Praise be.

Wait, I think I did heard Reggie saids that they'll might make an another installmens for reviving forgotten IPs around in 8:35. I hope we'll get an another EarthBound game, StarTropics game, F-Zero game, and much more.

Edited by King Marth 64

11 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Wait, I think I did heard Reggie saids that they'll might make an another installmens for reviving forgotten IPs around in 8:35. I hope we'll get an another EarthBound game, StarTropics game, F-Zero game, and much more.

I don't see Mother/Earthbound getting anything new unless its fan made (like Mother 4), Shigesato Itoi has stated he doesn't plan on doing any games past Mother 3. Many many times over even.

Edited by Jedi

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I don't see Mother/Earthbound getting anything new unless its fan made, Shigesato Itoi has stated he doesn't plan on doing any games past Mother 3. Many many times over even.

I totally think that they'll might use a different developer since Masahiro Sakurai did revived the Kid Icarus franchise and made Kid Icarus Uprising since the other two Kid Icarus games from the past weren't developed by Sakurai himself back then. And second that I did heard that fan made games are taken down by Nintendo since I definitely heard those are illegal also. Other than that, I do like to see what revived franchise will make it to the Nintendo Switch.

9 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I totally think that they'll might use a different developer since Masahiro Sakurai did revived the Kid Icarus franchise and made Kid Icarus Uprising since the other two Kid Icarus games from the past weren't developed by Sakurai himself back then. And second that I did heard that fan made games are taken down by Nintendo since I definitely heard those are illegal also. Other than that, I do like to see what revived franchise will make it to the Nintendo Switch.

Last I checked Itoi was totally ok with the Mother 4 fan project, and I don't think that stance changed either. 

I also don't think Nintendo has anyone who could properly succeed Itoi in terms of quirkiness, the dedicated fanbase is much more intune with it, as for Sakurai taking Kid Icarus, well part of that is well, Gunpei Yokoi has been dead for nearly 20 years now, and if I recall Uprising was originally planned to be a Star Fox title, but Sakurai decided that Pit would better suit his idea for Ground and Aerial combat so he used the Kid Icarus stuff instead. Which he had already given updated designs for via Brawl.

Edited by Jedi

• 2 weeks later...

I'm giving this thread a bump since someone made a list with every confirmed game for the Switch, bringing the total up to 108. I think this is a lot more the Wii U had at this point.

ZaDwcKC.jpg

I don't know at all what some of those are, but one of them already intrigues me just because of its name: Derby Stallion. Why? Because what do the words "derby" and "stallion" immediately bring to mind? HORSES! I definitely want to know more about this one!

There are...20+ games I want on that list, a good chunk of the coming out this year...it's quite a promising start for the Switch, I'll say that much!

I hope they blow us away at E3 with some games we haven't seen yet for the Switch(and maybe so off more of what it's got in store for us)! :P:

13 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I don't know at all what some of those are, but one of them already intrigues me just because of its name: Derby Stallion. Why? Because what do the words "derby" and "stallion" immediately bring to mind? HORSES! I definitely want to know more about this one!

Well there you go, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_Stallion best selling Horse Racing series in history, apperantly. Though I don't think it has much competition. The only other horse racing game I can think of is G1 Jockey.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well there you go, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_Stallion best selling Horse Racing series in history, apperantly. Though I don't think it has much competition. The only other horse racing game I can think of is G1 Jockey.

Yeah, that's the only other horse racing game I know of too.

Anyway, I figured it was horse racing, though I will admit I hoped it to be a little more than just that.  I'm not too big on that art style shown on that wikipedia page either. I'm fine with a cartoony style, just not that...goofy-looking. Hopefully the Switch game looks better and is about more than just plain horse races. Racing games, regardless of what kind of race it is, tend to bore me after a short time because generic racing is all there is to do. Only Mario Kart has managed to keep me into it for awhile due to its various modes, and even then, I still haven't played it in I don't know how long.

If Derby Stallion has, say dressage riding and stuff like that as well, I'd be more interested.

EDIT: Oh, it also looks to be a Japan-only series. Man that sucks.

Edited by Anacybele