"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, that's the only other horse racing game I know of too.

Anyway, I figured it was horse racing, though I will admit I hoped it to be a little more than just that.  I'm not too big on that art style shown on that wikipedia page either. I'm fine with a cartoony style, just not that...goofy-looking. Hopefully the Switch game looks better and is about more than just plain horse races. Racing games, regardless of what kind of race it is, tend to bore me after a short time because generic racing is all there is to do. Only Mario Kart has managed to keep me into it for awhile due to its various modes, and even then, I still haven't played it in I don't know how long.

If Derby Stallion has, say dressage riding and stuff like that as well, I'd be more interested.

EDIT: Oh, it also looks to be a Japan-only series. Man that sucks.

There's a movie by the same name so I can't really get any useful images but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the actual game looked nothing like the box art. Box art can be very misleading in a lot of cases. It also seems to have some business elements to it which could be interesting.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, that's the only other horse racing game I know of too.

Anyway, I figured it was horse racing, though I will admit I hoped it to be a little more than just that.  I'm not too big on that art style shown on that wikipedia page either. I'm fine with a cartoony style, just not that...goofy-looking. Hopefully the Switch game looks better and is about more than just plain horse races. Racing games, regardless of what kind of race it is, tend to bore me after a short time because generic racing is all there is to do. Only Mario Kart has managed to keep me into it for awhile due to its various modes, and even then, I still haven't played it in I don't know how long.

If Derby Stallion has, say dressage riding and stuff like that as well, I'd be more interested.

EDIT: Oh, it also looks to be a Japan-only series. Man that sucks.

Region Free. Sure, you might not be able to understand even one bit of it, but you'll at least be able to play it.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

There's a movie by the same name so I can't really get any useful images but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the actual game looked nothing like the box art. Box art can be very misleading in a lot of cases. It also seems to have some business elements to it which could be interesting.

Yeah, that does kinda interest me.

But still, fucking Japan only, ugh. Yeah, I know, the Switch has no region lock, but I don't speak Japanese... And I'm pretty sure business requires a lot of talking and communication.

EDIT: I know it's region free. It doesn't matter, I still won't be able to play it because I don't understand Japanese. And read what I just said above. I also simply refuse to play a game that's not in English since I wouldn't understand it, and thus I won't be able to fully enjoy it. I don't get why people ever play games in languages they don't know. They'd obviously be able to enjoy it more if they could understand all the text...

Edited by Anacybele

We got an update on the pricing of the Switch's online...and it's quite reasonable! 

$20 - $30 yearly is quite reasonable! I was honestly expecting closer to around $50, but this is MUCH better! This pleases me(and my wallet) greatly! :Joshua:

Now all we need to know is how better the online service is(because honestly, it was actually pretty good on the Wii U)...we've come far from the days of Brawl online! :B):

3 hours ago, 0w0 said:

Eh, wished that the online price was lower, but $20 - $30 per year is alright.

I just wish Nintendo didn't do this stuff like Sony/Microsoft did to their systems.

It was completely inevitable. Since the Wii U sold poorly, it's clear that the free online was not a strong selling point. 

8 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

This is actually a pretty good price, now people will stop complaining hopefully.

Haha. It's still a lot more than what they were charging before though!

• 2 weeks later...

So the Switch is region-free? About time! That blasted lock on the 3DS was the main reason why I couldn't get Mystery of the Emblem remake - even though I would have no problem playing that in Japanese! Also, that'll mean Australian gamers can probably import cheaper games from the US, and kiss goodbye to the price disparity stumbling block too... Not to mention that at least UK and Australian gamers would have a chance in some form to play games that would otherwise be limited to Americans for US-only localizations.

Edited by henrymidfields

2 hours ago, Retyl said:

You can still play that Japanese game on your 3DS, ya know. The 3DS itself is region locked but DS games are not.

EDIT: I forgot that DSi enhanched games like Pokémon Black and White are locked.

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm pretty sure Mystery of the Emblem's DSi enhanced too. Come to think about it, I wonder what was the reason for region-coding all the past consoles up to Wii U in general, and particularly the 3DS.

24 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm pretty sure Mystery of the Emblem's DSi enhanced too. Come to think about it, I wonder what was the reason for region-coding all the past consoles up to Wii U in general, and particularly the 3DS.

Wikipedia:

A regional lockout may be enforced for several reasons, such as to stagger the release of a certain product, to hinder grey market imports by enforcing price discrimination, or to prevent users from accessing certain content in their territory because of legal reasons (either due to censorship laws, or because a distributor does not have the rights to certain intellectual property outside of their specified region).

@Glaceon Mage: I gather Nintendo finally got the memo that region-locking is unpopular enough to warrant a change for the Switch. I am still baffled in what was the case for the DSi and 3DS's locks when, barring at least one special case, all the handhelds before them did perfectly fine being region-free.

1 minute ago, henrymidfields said:

@Glaceon Mage: I gather Nintendo finally got the memo that region-locking is unpopular enough to warrant a change for the Switch. I am still baffled in what was the case for the DSi and 3DS's locks when, barring at least one special case, all the handhelds before them did perfectly fine being region-free.

They region locked their home consoles, so it wasn't too big of a leap imo for the 3DS.

The DSi lockout confuses me though, since the regular DS/DS lite/etc. weren't region locked, so you can just play on them...

God damn it. Apparently some impatient moron got a Switch early and showed off more stuff. I'd link the source, but I was on my phone at the time that I saw it and didn't have time to post about it. It was on my Facebook feed. Maybe I can Google it.

I figured this was going to happen, but I always hate leaks. Ruins the fun of getting the surprise on launch day.

EDIT: Okay, one Google result says the fan accidentally got it early, but how do you accidentally get an unreleased product early? If the store got the release date wrong, other people who ordered from that same store should've gotten it too and I've only seen one report like this so far.

Edited by Anacybele

I know this was kinda confirmed earlier( thanks to @InfinityAlex ), but...WE GOT MORE CONFIRMATION! All thanks to the guy who got the Switch early! :B):

If you had many doubts before, they can rest easier now! 

(And now...my dreams have become a reality...Thank you Nintendo, you finally got it!):Joshua:

Edited by Busterman64

On 2/16/2017 at 7:39 PM, Jave said:

Ana, don't overreact. All the guy did was show the UI, which is kinda something we should know about at this point.

This is the video in question:

UI...? Oh, user interface? Is that what that is?

Well, I guess that's not too bad. And knowing that eShop purchases are definitely tied to Nintendo accounts is a good thing too.

Here are some details on FAST RMX, which will be a launch title.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/feature_fast_rmx_-_the_price_modes_and_performance_of_switchs_futuristic_racer

• Improved graphics - New UI, better lighting, more special effects like "Dynamic HDR Exposure" and "Chromatic Aberration"
  • Rendering resolution increased from 720p to 1080p.
  • 60fps in console or mobile mode, no matter how many players are in splitscreen.
  • 30 tracks, 15 vehicles, 10 cups.
  • All controllers supported and fully customizable.
  • HD Rumble for more immersion.
  • Hero Mode unlocked after finishing the first cup.
  • 8 player online and 8 player local multiplayer (by connecting up to 8 Switches).
  • Price: 19.99 US Dollars or Euros.

I think I just figured out why the Nintendo Switch is being released when it is. Tax season is around this time, and if folks are anything like those around where I live, then people who are interested in it will be wanting to buy it up immediately.