"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend and I did that trick where you basically stalk and auto refresh the Canadian Best Buy page until the Pre-order button becomes available and you can put the Switch into your cart and check out. It managed to work for me yesterday around 6 pm and my friend was also able to put the Nintendo Switch in his cart and check out an hour after. 

Even though we both got order confirmation emails from Best Buy, if that trick is a glitch in a system, our orders could potentially get cancelled but nothing so far yet in terms of cancellations. Surely they would be aware of the 'glitch' since so many people have been able to successful at doing the trick hahaha

Super excited for Friday, nevertheless.

TOMORROW. <3

I'm going to see if my grandpa can help me out. My stepdad has to work all day and I can't find a bus that goes from the stop next to my house to the mall or anything. Taxi is too expensive, imo.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

TOMORROW. <3

I'm going to see if my grandpa can help me out. My stepdad has to work all day and I can't find a bus that goes from the stop next to my house to the mall or anything. Taxi is too expensive, imo.

Uber isn't. It might not be the cheapest thing ever, but I'd rather foot the bill to a regular dude than those greedy assholes who run cab companies.

13 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Uber isn't. It might not be the cheapest thing ever, but I'd rather foot the bill to a regular dude than those greedy assholes who run cab companies.

I checked Uber too. It would've only been SLIGHTLY cheaper here.

I've already set off to secure a post-preorder Switch. Wish me luck!

I am 7/8 of the extra consoles at my store.

Edited by Dai

I posted this in the BotW thread, but here it is here too. :D

16992369_1334340479963900_11201008752589

BOOYAH BABY!! The mall being dead was an advantage! Nobody thought to go there early, so I was first in line! They only had a total of four non-preordered consoles, two with colored joy cons and two with gray ones. Thankfully, everybody that got there was happy. There was one line for people who preordered and there were only four of us waiting for non-preorders. The 3rd and 4th people in line were fine with getting gray joycons. The dude right behind me (2nd in line) got the second colored joycons. I actually like this carrying case better than the one in the special edition Zelda too! And I got two Amiibo! I also wouldn't mind having the one of Link with his bow, but I decided it could wait. Link with his horse and Zelda are best. :D Cause a HORSE! And Zelda is so pretty in this game.

I posted this on FB too, btw:

*DAH NAH NAH NAAAAA!*

"You got a Nintendo Switch with colored joy con controllers, a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, two Amiibo for the game, and a special carrying case! These are the hottest selling game products right now, with those colored joy cons going faster than the gray ones! And these were all at retail! Screw you, scalpers!"

lol. XD Which reminds me, the lady at the mall GameStop said NO GameStop stores actually got the BotW Master Edition, despite them having it on their site for a time. The only other site I saw it listed on was Best Buy. WTF Nintendo, was Best Buy privileged or something? On the flipside though, I bet this has caused a lot of preorders from scalpers to get canceled. Serves them right!

Although...

Bad news is, we have another problem. My mom got me a Switch and a Zelda special edition! She was going to surprise me with it when I visit her Thursday. My stepdad called her to tell her I'd be trying to get it on release, but by the time she got a hold of me (I didn't hear my phone amongst the line of people, some of whom my grandpa and I were talking to) I was already at home with my stuff. *headdesk* I suggested she call my brother in Colorado to see if he failed to get it (he really wanted it too), but if he did succeed (and there is a chance he did, knowing him)... I feel SO bad. SO SO BAD. My mom spent all that money only to maybe have to return it! :( Ain't my mom awesome though? Some people have parents that think Pokemon is a spawn of the devil! I'm lucky to have my mom.

Edited by Anacybele

7 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I posted this in the BotW thread, but here it is here too. :D

7 hours ago, carefreejules said:

Received my Nintendo Switch and I'm super excited to dive right in! 

Doing system updates first since I want to get those out of the way because I will forget lmao

I have to say, I'm pretty jealous. I was up this morning trying to get my hands on one, but the *very* few that had not been preordered in my area were taken within minutes.

Looks like I'm going to be waiting ... oh well.

So about the Switch... I think I hate it when I think of it as a home console, but thinking about it as a handheld, I think I love it. Maybe just because I'm in cold ass Minnesota, but the idea of sitting in bed for the whole weekend, playing a big ass, console-level game like Breath of the Wild appeals to me immensely. I've played like, 15 hours of the game and I got home at 3:30 yesterday. So nearly every waking moment since has pretty much been spent on Zelda.

And going to the eShop made me depressed, because I want more console-level games that I can play, chilling in bed or chilling at my desk, and there's really nothing besides Zelda. 

Maybe if Nintendo releases a more powerful dock the idea of playing Switch games on a big screen will seem more appealing, but just thinking about the system as a handheld has me excited. It's a super solid handheld, with the UI, polish, and features of a full-fledged console. Can't wait for a console-level Pokémon game, or a new console Fire Emblem game after what's been effectively two gens without one. Even the idea of GC games and WiiU ports makes me excited. 

The Switch as a console is like, a 4/10. As a handheld, it's like an 8/10. Just needs more than one game. 

Do we know when they'll get the Virtual Console up and running? When did the Wii U get its version? I'd love to access some older games on the Switch.

Maybe more importantly is what kinds of games they'll release.

Edited by Thane

13 hours ago, Zera said:

Will the Switch Virtual Console have DS games? Because there's no two-screen functionality like the Wii U.

It probably can in portable mode. It's be awkward, though, since the displays would have to be side-by-side.

Just now, BalancedPro said:

Question: Can I use my NNID on my switch? Do I need to link it to my Nintendo Account?

You can, but it's not necessary, as the Nintendo Account is what's required for online on Switch. The main reason why people are doing it now is because it merges your Balance accounts and that makes your 3DS, Wii U and Switch share the same wallet. Also, it's presumed that when VC games arrive on Switch, you'll get discounted prices if you bought them on 3DS or Wii U, which would require you to merge your NNID with you Nintendo Account.

Bit of a latecoming weigh-in but I've now seen the trailers and there are some fascinating entries this time around.

Seasons of Heaven
Interesting to see that this is a video game adaptation of a novel. I wonder if this is going to be a child's fantasy adventure somewhat similar to Earthbound. There's quite a bit of action involved too. I wonder if I should read the novel first...

Graceful Explosion
A simple, yet seemingly sophisticated shooter. I'm not a huge fan of shooters with colourful ammos and Lovecraft-esque bug aliens, but this looks appealing enough to at least follow the info.

I am Setsuna
I'm quite fascinated by the worldbuilding. There seems to be something beautiful (in a tragic sense) about the otherwise bleak winter landscape. Come to think about it now, I wonder if I should give Bravely Default/Second a try.

Fire Emblem 15 and Warriors
There is nothing better than one of Nintendo's lesser-known franchises being upgraded to its big-ticket franchise rivalling Zelda and Pokémon. Gone are the days when FE was Japan-exclusive and was even rumoured to be on its last legs, even with the franchise's introduction overseas. With F-Zero, Metroid, and a number of others fading into obscurity, I am glad that FE came back into the spotlight with Awakening and Fates. Now, here is to hoping that Caeda would no longer be the unsung Nintendo heroine, but for starters, rightfully get a spot on Smash. (Even better, have that idiot ditz Peach be mauled by Bowser, and be done with her.)

I definitely will get FE Warriors once I get hold onto a Switch. I previously played Hyrule Warriors featured many epic battle scenes, Zelda, Impa, and many others besides Link kicking Moblin hoard's asses, and even a villain campaign featuring Ganon. Here is to look forward to an epic battle on a even grander scale with hopefully Roy and Lilina joining in the epic struggle.

Legend of Zelda
The moment I had a look at the trailer, it was "Wow!". The trailer suggested of an epic adventure across a vast landscape - it makes me want to go on an adventure myself. I sure hope the game won't disappoint after waiting for so long.

Edited by henrymidfields

1 hour ago, blah the Prussian said:

So quick question, for those in the know: I live in the Czech Republic. If I were to buy a Switch there would it and games associated with it have an English language option?

Switch is region free so it has all language options regardless of where you buy it. Just set it to english and all games with an english option will play like that. 

19 hours ago, Jave said:

Switch is region free so it has all language options regardless of where you buy it. Just set it to english and all games with an english option will play like that. 

Thanks, good to know.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick questions involving Nintendo accounts.

Are they the same thing as the Nintendo Network IDs or something completely different? Is there a way to merge the two together? These may have been answered somewhere earlier in the thread but whatever. For the record, I haven't made a Nintendo account yet, and I feel there's no point in making one if I can just use the network ID.