"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

I can pin my general negative reaction partially on there being nothing wowing about it- virtually everything that was shown lines up with what was leaked.

The whole concept of the console is wowing the entire internet. Even if it was leaked, the hype is overwhelming because it's a reality now.

I know I'm looking forward to this as a merger of the Wii U and 3DS. The potential here is huge.

Let me place my pre-order already damnit!!

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The source fro the region free thing was from a leak/rumour earlier this month, apparently.

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/rumor-what-should-we-expect-from-the-final-nx-product/

Since it's a rumour it should be taken with several grains of salt, but apparently this one has been right about a lot of things, so people are thinking it might be true.

Thank you for finding this! Rumor it may be, but with some of the NX...I mean, Nintendo Switch rumors being true so far...we can only hope this one is right too!

If it's region free, I'm definitely one of the people that will take advantage of it.

That means region free eShop?

神様、おねがいします。

If I can create multiple NNIDs on one Switch (like you could on WiiU) and make them American, European and Japanese that would be the absolute best.

That trailer was pretty awesome, the console looks intriguing and I'm excited for it. And that was a brand new Mario, right? And a brand new Mario Kart? And a port/possible backwards compatibility with Splatoon?

I've heard people saying that it's apparently a Splatoon sequel? IDK if that's confirmed or just specilation, though.

That trailer was pretty awesome, the console looks intriguing and I'm excited for it. And that was a brand new Mario, right? And a brand new Mario Kart? And a port/possible backwards compatibility with Splatoon?

The Mario definitely looks brand new, but no one's sure on MK. It looks a lot like 8 with King Boo thrown in, causing some worry that it's just a port with some characters added in.

Well, this seems exciting, doesn't it?

I do wonder where this leaves the 3DS or their next iteration of handhelds though; will this combine the two or will they complement each other somehow? Or is this just the end of traditional handhelds?

Edited by Thane

I've heard people saying that it's apparently a Splatoon sequel? IDK if that's confirmed or just specilation, though.

The textures are different. Quite different.

Mario Kart looks the same so I'm doubting how much of an upgrade this is specs wise.

They're also calling in the next phase of handheld gaming in their press release so we may be saying bye to the 3DS as well.

Mario Kart looks the same so I'm doubting how much of an upgrade this is specs wise.

They're also calling in the next phase of handheld gaming in their press release so we may be saying bye to the 3DS as well.

Wouldn't be too surprising, since the 3DS is getting a bit old by now. It's going strong, though.

The source fro the region free thing was from a leak/rumour earlier this month, apparently.

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/rumor-what-should-we-expect-from-the-final-nx-product/

Since it's a rumour it should be taken with several grains of salt, but apparently this one has been right about a lot of things, so people are thinking it might be true.

"32GB of internal storage"

um

that's a bit concerning

The frame drops on the Zelda game when going mobile.... ughh, concerning...

I'm pretty sure the tablet is the console and the home thing is just a dock, so this shouldn't be an issue? Unless it's something people have already seen.

"32GB of internal storage"

um

that's a bit concerning

Quite.

Memory isn't that expensive, so why they're sticking to 32 is beyond me.

Memory isn't that expensive, so why they're sticking to 32 is beyond me.

To be fair, I didn't have a problem with the Wii U, buying physical. The biggest space wasters were Xenoblade packs, and since they are using carts stuff like that should be a non-issue.

They might even let us use SD cards now, so, let's wait and see.

Maybe they won't drop the 3DS just yet? It's old, but it's still really popular.

Yeah, that's why I said going strong.

I can see it go either way right now. The Wii U is definitely deader than Cleopatra, but the 3DS is still going and getting an influx of games, despite NX being on the horizon.

To be fair, I didn't have a problem with the Wii U, buying physical. The biggest space wasters were Xenoblade packs, and since they are using carts stuff like that should be a non-issue.

They might even let us use SD cards now, so, let's wait and see.

I don't think SD cards as storage for more than just game saves is very wise.

For the user base of the homebrew community in which you can expect some level of technology proficiency... it sounds like a nightmare for technical support for speed issues and running full console game storage from those SDHC or SDXC cards.

3DS was good enough for the SD card speed because it's a handheld. I don't know about high end graphics of the switch.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I'm not that scared for the 3DS. It has its own features, like two screens, whose one is tactile (unlike the NSwitch, look carefully), so I expect a more powerful 3DS with new features for the next handheld.

... Nintendo's a bit funny. Either they reveal so much gameplay that you won't watch everything (LoZ Breath Of The Wild) or they show a quite basic video and nothing less.

Personally I am super stoked for this as I prefer Handheld to Console, so this is exactly what I want. Switch is it okay name, it's not confusing in the market, it's clearly a different name, and conveys to the public what it is. So good on you to Nintendo I know you can't resist puns ( get it because the Console switches between handheld and Console). Hopefully the battery life is good out the box, but if it's not better life extenders will come out (like they always do).

Some notes on what was shown

Hardware

1. Controllers that can split and a controller dock to dock the controllers (with asymmetrical sticks), along of a pro controller with an Xbox style layout (notice the asymmetrical sticks)

2. Cartridge-based or more correctly noted SD card based much like the Vita.

3. Console seamlessly resumes between Handheld and Console.

4. Local multiplayer possible on the go.

Software

1. A brand-new Mario game in the vein of 64 (cameras is directly behind Mario so it's not 3-D world, and this environment is not present in other 3D Mario games)

2. Either MK 8 with expanded content or MK 9

3. Spatoon 2 (look at the character models for the squids their different), though could be just Spatoon with expanded content but I'm leaning more on a second game.

4 Breath of the Wild but we already knew about that.

5. Skyrim remastered, and 2K17/18/They all look the same (this is actually a big deal Bethesda and 2K have never supported a Nintendo platform before, at least to my knowledge. 2K may have during gamecube era but I don't think so.)