"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a multi 3DS household, and someone who takes their portable system everywhere, I am a little concerned about this being a successor to the 3DS. I like what I saw of the Switch but it doesn't look like something I could always take with me like the 3DS. At home console prices it also would be a struggle to purchase games for two people as well.

Hoping for maybe a compact Switch with a screen shield if the 3DS is at its end.

I'm starting to warm up to the system, my only concern is the horsepower.

Will it last, can it compete, will 3rd parties drop it like it's hot.

also I'm concerned as having a second screen has been really helpful to FE, as we can check stats and skills without having to use a second menu to check.

r.i.p Etrian Odyssey

Edited by Captain Karnage

I'm starting to warm up to the system, my only concern is the horsepower.

Will it last, can it compete, will 3rd parties drop it like it's hot.

They showed the thing playing Skyrim remastered.

I wan to believe

Looks like Nintendo is Switchin' it up! :awesome:

*rap*

Nintendo made a console

It was called the Wii U

But it didn't quite achieve

What they wanted it to

It confused a bunch o' people

Days got dark like a witch

So Nintendo went and thought

It's time for a Switch!

They're Switchin'

Switchin'

Switchin' it up!

They're Switchin'

Switchin'

Switchin' it up!

It's the Nintendo Switch

That's right, bitch!

*end of rap*

Sorry, I had to. XD I'm no rapper either, I know. Girls don't rap. :P But for some reason, rapping came to mind when I saw that name and thought of the pun and it quickly became this...haha.

This looks AWESOME though! I highly disliked the Splatoon showing and I'm not into basketball, but Zelda, Mario Kart, and a 3D Mario game, woohoo! No Luigi's Mansion, but that doesn't mean it can't still be a launch title. I'm thinking it's more likely now that it'll come a little later if it's indeed in development.

Being a person that loves flying though, I ESPECIALLY enjoyed the plane part! Yay for easy plane playing! :D

Edited by Anacybele

I am SO hyped for this console! New 3D Mario and Mario Kart (I'm betting it's a revamp of Mario Kart 8, but I'm hoping for Mario Kart 9!), Elder Scrolls, Splatoon, and of course, Zelda! This looks like it's going to be fun ,':)

I'm not that scared for the 3DS. It has its own features, like two screens, whose one is tactile (unlike the NSwitch, look carefully), so I expect a more powerful 3DS with new features for the next handheld.

... Nintendo's a bit funny. Either they reveal so much gameplay that you won't watch everything (LoZ Breath Of The Wild) or they show a quite basic video and nothing less.

Look at this from a business perspective, there will not be another handheld because it would cannibalize the system especially in Japan. Expect some games for 3ds rolling out thoughout 2017, but after that there's not going to be much of anything if anything at all. It would also change one of the major upsides of doing this system in the first place, that being that Nintendo's handheld and console game making divisions can merge making Nintendo have a consistent flow of exclusive throughout every year.

As a multi 3DS household, and someone who takes their portable system everywhere, I am a little concerned about this being a successor to the 3DS. I like what I saw of the Switch but it doesn't look like something I could always take with me like the 3DS. At home console prices it also would be a struggle to purchase games for two people as well.

Hoping for maybe a compact Switch with a screen shield if the 3DS is at its end.

It is possible the Nintendo will make a more compact version in the future, right now the system is looking to be about the size of an average iPad mini. So no it would not fit in your pocket but it will easily fit inside a backpack, purse/murse, or satchel.

Also about prices Nintendo proved in the Wii U generation that they are willing to explore price points ( things like Captain toad are $40), so don't expect every single game to be $60. Also sales are thing use them, though admittedly Nintendo games rarely go on sale.

Edited by Locke087

To throw in my 2 cents...

I'm sure the 3DS will be fine.

Console Prices

N.Switch: Probably $300+

3DS: Around $200

Games

N.Switch: Probably $60 (and up)

3DS: $30-$40(with a few $50's)

The 3DS will be fine. Nintendo wouldn't want to COMPLETELY kill their other strong source of revenue! :Joshua:

Edited by Busterman64

Why would the Switch be more than $300 when I'm pretty sure the Wii U was around $250? I think it'll cost around the same as the 3DS, personally. Nintendo will surely be careful about pricing after they had to drop the price of the 3DS after a short time.

Nobody liked my rap? lol oh well, it probably wasn't great anyway. XD

Why would the Switch be more than $300 when I'm pretty sure the Wii U was around $250? I think it'll cost around the same as the 3DS, personally. Nintendo will surely be careful about pricing after they had to drop the price of the 3DS after a short time.

Wii U was $299 for the standard version.

No way will this cost the same as the 3DS.

Nobody liked my rap? lol oh well, it probably wasn't great anyway. XD

I guess $300+ might be much, but a console like that is gonna most likely be $300 or so.

Also...for your rap...

4f2.gif:Rei:

Wii U was $299 for the standard version.

No way will this cost the same as the 3DS.

Oh. xP

But how would you know that? Do you work for Nintendo?

I guess $300+ might be much, but a console like that is gonna most likely be $300 or so.

Also...for your rap...

4f2.gif:Rei:

Haha, word. XD

So if this a hybrid, does that mean typical 'handheld' games will now be costlier?

Yes and No, in someways it will be cheaper for companies as I don't have to make separate console and portable entries. Also some of the games like Fire Emblem or Kirby could adopt more indie like art styles to sell at cheaper prices and lower their development costs. Nintendo has shown a willingness to develop games that target prices other than $60 so I doubt they are unwilling to do this (See Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker which is 40$ msrp, for example.)

Games like Monster Hunter with more realistic art styles will be more expensive to develop by default. Still if Capcom worries about development costs, they can do a cell-shaded art style to cut development costs. But once again Monster Hunter sells like crazy in Japan so I think it wouldn't be too big of a risk for Capcom to make it a full-fledged game.

The big difference between the problem the Vita has and the Switch is that the Vita wasn't quite up to par two consoles even though it was closer, so you had to develop games unique to it. Where as the Switch will be great for ports of existing games. This is a console you can take with you on the go rather than overly powerful handheld.

So in conclusion I think that we will see variable price brackets from Nintendo though I'm not so sure other publishers will do the same, though due to the portable nature of the platform I do think the publishers will experiment with shorter smaller games.

Edited by Locke087

The 3DS internals are way less powerful than this new system yet the new 3DS XL is still around $230 in Canada. The Wii U isn't much more but it is a failing console that retailers are trying to get off the shelves. I can't see the Switch being below $300 especially with the proprietary Tegra chip inside and tablet-sized HD screen. In Canada I predict at least a $400+ pricetag due to our crappy exchange rate.

Oh. xP

But how would you know that? Do you work for Nintendo?

This system is much more powerful than the 3DS, which means it's more expensive to make, which would make it more expensive to buy.

Edited by SecondWorld

Look at this from a business perspective, there will not be another handheld because it would cannibalize the system especially in Japan. Expect some games for 3ds rolling out thoughout 2017, but after that there's not going to be much of anything if anything at all. It would also change one of the major upsides of doing this system in the first place, that being that Nintendo's handheld and console game making divisions can merge making Nintendo have a consistent flow of exclusive throughout every year.

Yes, but having a tactile screen is a must-have on any handheld device now, and we don't see it in the trailer, and Nintendo usually cares about ergonomics, so I don't know what to think. And I'm really gonna miss Dual Screen on Fire Emblem games, because it was a great improvement.

I wonder if the tablet screen supports touch inputs. Or if it can have a second output display if it's put on the TV.

Also that Splatoon game is definitely a sequel. Those assets (that stage) are new.

Mario Kart visually is Mario Kart 8 with all of the assets intact. Are we looking at a deluxe edition (ala Hyrule Warriors Legends)?

If Splatoon, Mario Kart and 3D Mario are part of the launch lineup, I will be so hyped!