Found Out Something in FE12...

Dismissed

I messed around with the _ter.cmb files in Fire Emblem 12 when I found out that each item sold in the shop is labeled by name in HxD when checking the right column in the editor (text column), each entry was separated by a 00 byte and each item is labeled by name. For example, Iron Bow is "IID_IRONBOW", Javelin is "IID_HANDSPEAR" and Blizzard is "IID_BRIZZAR".

Any other leads? I haven't messed around with this data yet.

I don't actually remember if I messed with the shop data, but I did for Shadow Dragon

Presumably the data is similar, if not identical.

The text you're seeing are what I call "labels". The 00 separator tells the game the label has ended. You can either edit the labels or the pointers to the labels or ideally both.

Thanks, Mr. Vincent. But I have another question. If I wanted to replace Javelin (HANDSPEAR) with Blizzard (BRIZZAR), do I fill the extra spaces with 00 bytes or do something else?

Also, Is Klokinator not active anymore? Not related, I know. I just want to know if he's really inactive.

EDIT: Fixed Spelling Error

Edited by Purple Mage

Thanks, Mr. Vincent. But I have another question. If I wanted to replace Javelin (HANDSPEAR) with Blizzard (BRIZZAR), do I fill the extra spaces with 00 bytes or do something else?

Also, Is Klokinator not active anymore? Not related, I know. I just want to know if he's really inactive.

EDIT: Fixed Spelling Error

Yeah, filling it with 00s is fine. To be more technical, 00 isn't a separator, it's a delimiter (I think that's what it's called). Basically, as soon as the game reads a 00, it will stop and not bother reading the rest of the code.

So in fact, after the first 00, you could have absolutely anything there and it would work.

If I understood correctly, that should be fine. The way the code works is that labels aren't read unless a pointer specifically references it. So long as the pointers don't point to any "broken" labels, you should be fine.

One strategy I use is to expand the file and insert my own custom labels after the very end of the file. That area is never read normally (because the code tells the game to stop just before the end of the file), so the game doesn't complain (although you do need to change the initial bytes to account for the increased file size).

That way, you can point to labels that are longer than the ones in the file.