Gokai Doctor's Episode by Episode Review of Super Sentai and Kamen Rider!

Gokai Doctor

Next series we tackle (PICTURES BELOW)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which Sentai Series will be next after Battle Fever J?

• Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger (Mighty Morphin)
    • Kazikou Sentai Gokaiger (Pirate Themed Season)
    • Choujin Sentai Jetman (Bird Themed Season (regarded as the best season by most))
    • Doubutsu Sentai Zyuohger (Ongoing Series)
  2. 2. Which Kamen Rider Series Should We Tackle First?

• Kamen Rider Gaim
    • Kamen Rider W
    • Kamen Rider Decade
    • Kamen Rider Ex-aid (Ongoing Series)

qIgeKv9.jpg

Well hello there! This may seem very out of the blue and very unorthodox to put here, but I thought I would do it anyway.

Let me explain what this is first. This will be me watching the TV series, Super Sentai, and reviewing it episode by episode hence the title (yes, the title does serve a purpose).

​I'm not very sure if this goes in Entertainment, since I think I'm the first one to do this on this forum, but we can roll with it. By the way, if anyone else wants to join me in watching this, then please pm me and I'll gladly share the experience with you through Discord. Also, if anyone else wants to do something like this, then go right ahead, it'll be fun!

Onto the important stuff, "what is Super Sentai?". Well, have you heard of Power Rangers? If yes, then you have a step ahead of everyone else, hooray! But for those who don't, it's about a group of 5 or more characters who have the ability to transform into powerful forms using some form of device or power and they fight against an organization of evil. The series known as Super Sentai started in 1979 with the series known as Battle Fever J. For those hard core Otakus that I probably just confused please wait for me to explain. Technically, the series started in 1975 with the release of Himitsu Sentai Goranger, but wasn't technically "Super Sentai". The releases of the first two season, Goranger and JAQK, were made without giant robots, giant robots are what added the "Super" part onto Super Sentai. These two series were technically not canon until much later into the series. "What does this mean?" you might ask, this means that I'll be starting my episode by episode review with Battle Fever J instead of Goranger (although it's really awesome and everyone should go watch it).

​Talking about Power Rangers, the Super Sentai season Zyuranger was adapted for American audiences into Mighty Morphin which is what is known more prominently today (thanks mostly to the movie). Also, the reason I'm not doing Power Rangers is because I've regrettably seen every episode of it (and grew up with it), so my review standpoint wouldn't be very unbiased or uninformed.

​Let's talk format. The format for this topic will be very erratic. Honestly, I'll watch the episodes when I want to and immediately do the review after. There won't be a "schedule" for this, mainly because I'm lazy, but also because I've got school. I'll post my thoughts and opinions on the story, characters, what happened in the episode, etc. I'll be taking notes during the show while I'm watching it, so I don't forget what I want to talk about. Also, I'm probably going to try and be comedic and funnily critical in order to add some spice to the review, so you guys don't fall asleep while reading it.

​I think that's about it. If you have any questions, then please ask them because I'm sure I missed something.

EDIT: I'm adding a rule that if I don't enjoy a season after the first 3 episodes then we'll move onto the next series. The reason I'm adding this is because there are 38 Seasons of Super Sentai and each of them have 50 or so episodes. This would be a very long thread that would last many years if we did the entire series.

​[spoiler=Table of Reviews]

K5AsSIz.jpg(done)

​Episode 1: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=67014&p=4585510

Episode 2: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=67014&p=4587637

​Episode 3: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=67014&p=4593436

Edited by Gokai Doctor

Other than the red text being hard on the eyes, I have no objections~! I don't know if you want discussion on your reviews, though. If you just want to post a review for the sake of posting a review, a blog would be better IMO.

Other than the red text being hard on the eyes, I have no objections~! I don't know if you want discussion on your reviews, though. If you just want to post a review for the sake of posting a review, a blog would be better IMO.

Well I'm not objected to a discussion, but I can't force anyone to just post saying how fantastically wonderful I am. Don't really care for a blog tbh, but if this is the wrong place to put this kind of thing, then I'd be happy to do so.

Oh, okay. Even without going as far back as the actual beginning, you are still in for a long ride. Fair warning, some of the darker Power Rangers adaptations are from over the top joke Super Sentai seasons. Oh, and you have to include the crossover episodes. When you get to episodes that involve

A main character's death

I'll be sure to inform you as to why that happened. So far, I only know of two that aren't extra fighters, nor at the end of the series, but I will explain the external reasoning behind it.

Oh, okay. Even without going as far back as the actual beginning, you are still in for a long ride. Fair warning, some of the darker Power Rangers adaptations are from over the top joke Super Sentai seasons. Oh, and you have to include the crossover episodes. When you get to episodes that involve

A main character's death

I'll be sure to inform you as to why that happened. So far, I only know of two that aren't extra fighters, nor at the end of the series, but I will explain the external reasoning behind it.

Well thank you! Yeah, this review thing is going to go on for a long, long time if I stay with it. I haven't seen much of anything from before Goseiger (because I wanted to see if Megaforce was bad because of the base content which it wasn't), so this will be all new to me.

Edited by Gokai Doctor

SJq1pnP.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbXEW73QJBw (The Battle Fever J theme song to listen to while reading)

Battle Fever J Episode 1: Rush to the Baseball Field

Review: Not a bad first episode, but then again it's really hard to make a bad first episode. I really enjoyed the music playing in the background and for the theme song, it feels really groovy (do people still say groovy?). So anyway, the episode starts with a woman with a red umbrella casually strolling alongside a police officer. She puts down her umbrella and stabs the point into the police officer's neck, she then does this two more times. We then cut to our first main character, Den Masao, who is trying to rent a car, but when he looks at the bill for the previous car he had rented he finds a coded message telling him to report to Battle Fever immediately. Den then steals a green car and goes off to get the other Battle Fever members. He finds Shiraishi Kensaku who is randomly riding a horse in the middle of nowhere. We then cut to our third member, Shida Kyosuke, who's cutting someone's hair, but is interrupted by Den making him accidently cut off some excess hair. We then meet our (final?) member, Akebono Shiro, who is talking to a monkey about how his owner should be arrested for animal abuse. Wait a minute, talking to monkeys?

AhmyXfs.png K.

When the four Battle Fever operatives return back to base, the General lays it on thick and just tells them that three officers were killed and that terrorist movement called Egos is behind it all. The four are then ordered to bring in the woman with the red umbrella who was just spotted. They track her all day until she arrives at the Baseball field (see! titles are important) where she tries to run away, but they catch her easily. The four Battle Fever operatives bring back the woman and are very surprised to see that the tip of the umbrella does not have any cyanide which was used to kill the three officers. The General then introduces Mr. Foster, an FBI agent, who explains that the woman they captured was Diane Martin who works for Mr. Foster. Mr. Foster explains that they were trying to lure out Egos into a trap, but Battle Fever got in the way. The General explains further that Diane will be joining as the fifth and final Battle Fever operative. It cuts to people worshipping the main antagonist in the story, Satan Egos (wow, did not expect that). The narrator explains that Egos is behind all uprisings and every terrorist attack and it's found it's way to America, Europe and now they have a branch in Japan. Mr. Foster has to go back to America and says goodbye to Diane and we then cut to training (?). The five all jump over a sword to get rid of their fear of death (or something along those lines). We get a tease for the giant Mech of the season and we head on to the suits. They all put their skin tight suits on and prepare for battle. Which is really convenient because the woman with the red umbrella is spotted, so they all go to intercept her. But before all that happened the lady with the red umbrella killed Mr. Foster on his way to the airport and it's revealed that Diane was Mr. Foster's daughter despite looking completely different and having a different last name. In current time the umbrella lady reveals that Battle Fever just walked right into a trap. Suddenly, 10 or so minions and the monster of the week arrive. They try to do their Role Call, but are interrupted by the minions who are trying to kill them.

Battle Fever quickly dispatch the minions and head onto the monster of the week who reveals his name as Bat Monster (wow, generic much?). The team assembles a cannon by putting together their weapons (which I don't know the names for because they weren't said in the first episode) and then blast Bat Monster away. Satan Egos swears that they'll destroy Battle Fever and that the war has only just begun.

Rating: 7.5/10-the plot felt pretty generic, but I'm intrigued to know who the umbrella lady is, why these four were chosen above everyone else and of course the twists in this season. I'm honestly surprised they were able to fit this all into a 20 minute episode. Just 20 minutes!

[spoiler=Characters]

(this is mainly for me because I cannot remember names for the life of me)

Den Masao/Battle Japan

Shiraishi Kensaku/Battle Cossack

Shida Kyosuke/Battle France

Akebono Shiro/Battle Kenya

Diane Martin/Miss America

Thank you for everyone who read this first episode review and I hope you enjoyed it.

Edited by Gokai Doctor

fTX6POv.jpg

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bbXEW73QJBw (The Battle Fever J theme song to listen to while reading)

​Battle Fever J Episode 2: Egos' Monster Making Method

​Review: ​I have some really mixed feelings about this episode, but I'll get to that at the end of the review, let me first explain the plot. The episode starts with Satan Egos creating a monster inside this weird incubator thing and sending it out (to do something non-specified). We then cut to a girl praying to Egos that her friend, Hidemi, would die (what?). The girl's face then goes dark and a red X appears on her forehead. The monster then somehow calls out Hidemi and kills her(?). The Police rule it as a suicide and declare it as such. Den catches wind of this and goes to inform the general, but when he goes to report to the general, he asks where the rest of Battle Fever is. Den explains that Diane and Shida are dancing (in a rave), Akebono is taking care of abandoned puppies and kittens (which was probably the best part of the episode tbh), and Shiraishi is gambling. The General rage quits when Shiraishi arrives at the base with tons of stuff he bought with his earnings. Meanwhile more people pray to Egos to kill people that they don't like. When the monster goes to kill one of them Shida manages to get a look at the monster and begins to chase him. After failing to catch him all five Battle Fever operatives reconvene at the base where Shida explains what he saw. They manage to track all possible egos worshipers to a building that they decide to send Shida into in order to infiltrate Egos. Shida is found out, but he puts up a good fight and when the other operatives realize that he's been in there for too long they all rush in. Den thankfully finds the hidden passage way into Egos's secret underground base. The four not kidnapped operatives all transform and rush into the room where Shida is being held and the monster of the week is hiding! They free Shida who then also transforms and they beat the monster together.

Rating: 7/10-This is the definition of a filler episode. The Mech is still under construction, no character development and it served no purpose other than to be filler. Besides possibly killing off Umbrella Lady which I don't think they did, nothing really happened in this episode. However, it's saving grace is the music and the General. The music is just so good and the General just has the best reactions to everything. I really hope the filler from here on out is better and a lot more well thought out.

SvXURk9.jpg Here's the suits btw (this is from the game Super Sentai Legend Wars)

Yeah, Umbrella Lady isn't going anywhere. Also, am I the only one that's creeped out by Battle America's wig? It looks really odd compared to the other helmets.

Your not the only one, it looks really out of place when compared to the other's suits.

kTliSTq.jpg

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bbXEW73QJBw (The Battle Fever J theme song to listen to while reading)

Battle Fever J Episode 3: The Spy!?

​Review: ​This was a really solid episode. The action was better than the first two episodes and the editing didn't make want to throw up all over the screen. The story was also very solid and was enjoyable compared to last two episodes where I was just confused as to what was going on due to the weird editing and story telling. The story for this episode starts off really strong with a military envoy being attacked by Egos' men. The Battle Fever emerge from the envoy and begin battling with the minions to protect the surviving soldiers. The narrator explains that a spy has been leaking information to Egos and that supply envoys have been strategically targeted in order to halt the progress in making the giant robot. After the battle Cossack, Kenya, France and America all meet up at the base waiting for Japan. Japan arrives, but doesn't seem like himself. After completely blowing off the team Japan enters the robot construction room and takes pictures of the schematics. He then leaves and sells it to a chief of science. The General enters the room where the rest of Battle Fever is waiting and informs them that Japan is a traitor. Cossack becomes super mad and along with Kenya and France they track down Japan who is selling some information to the monster of the week, Death Mask. Cossack nearly punches Japan to death and they arrest him after Death Mask flees. When they get there the General reveals that it had been a ploy to reveal the true spy in the organization, the chief of science. They track down the fleeing chief of science and use him to bait out the monster. They then defeat the monster using their weapons. Cossack apologizes and Japan tells him to not apologize and that he would've done the same thing.

Rating: 8.5/10- I was expecting this to be a mind control episode which Sentai has in nearly every current season. The beginning fight in the episode was very well choreographed and I wish I could say the same for the ending fight and previous episodes. Some friendship building between Cossack and Japan is always good and I wish we had that in the previous episode.

Final Verdict: If you don't know why this is here then go to the first post which was updated. I actually really enjoyed these first three episodes, but I can't get over the horrible editing, bad choreography and the sluggish story. I will unfortunately stop doing reviews on this particular Sentai, but it's not bad, it honestly isn't. In fact, I'll probably watch it on my own time without doing reviews.

For the next Toku series we'll be doing I'll leave it up to y'all, so vote in the poll (if it's still there by the time you're reading this).

Here are the options that you can vote on (WITH PICTURES!).

Zyuranger HpSkz9A.jpg

Gokaiger jAwZYSJ.jpg

Jetman rhSs32a.jpg

Zyuohger I1GvHIo.jpg

Kamen Rider Gaim 4BcGkvS.jpg

Kamen Rider W 0hR56ES.jpg

Kamen Rider Decade 34dbcdI.jpg

Kamen Rider Ex-aid 7u3jKhw.jpg

Let the voting commence!

Edited by Gokai Doctor