Why did Revelations get so much negative criticism?

MisterIceTeaPeach

IIRC, if they move and then you're in their movement range, nothing triggers. It only happens if they can attack you and you trigger a battle.

Nope.

If they move and you're anywhere in their range, reinforcements.

If you move into their range at any point, reinforcements.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure about the second one, but I know from recent experience that the first occurs.

Edited by Emerson

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with the map gimmicks is that all of them boil down to "wait until something happens, then move" and you can fly over most of them. The ice cap is ok when you first play it, but try it a second time and you just want it to be over quickly. Fog of War is different because the ice requires you to stop to break the ice and whoever breaks is forced to become a sitting duck while you often reveal more than one enemy. It seems all their good ideas with maps went straight to Conquest.

My problem with the characters is how absolute garbage everyone that's not Corrin, The Royals, Silas, Shura or Children Units arew. If you analyze them, most have even less stats than in their original appearances in the original routes and are severely underleveled in comparison to the enemy. Grinding is sloooow in this game and takes its sweet time to catch up too. They didn't even bother balancing that around and it manages to be even more restrictive about the characters you want to use than the main games themselves.

My problem with the plot is how poorly thought out it is, how many holes it has, how damn biased it is in favor of Hoshido, and how its existence brought down the stories of Conquest and Birthright.

If you like it it's fine. Many people like Binding Blade, and I disliked it. Many people dislike Shadow Dragon and I just love it. To each their own, but don't pretend those aren't issues.

If they move and you're anywhere in their range, reinforcements.

That's what I mean.

If they're able to attack you and trigger a battle. (i.e. the game just checks for you instead of officially triggering a battle via the queue of available actions the AI has)

If you move into their range at any point, reinforcements.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure about the second one, but I know from recent experience that the first occurs.

What I meant was that if you move somewhere *NOT* in their range, they take their turn, move somewhere, and you are *NOW* in range, the alarm doesn't get triggered.

It has to be their turn and you're able to be attacked.

Having been freshly revived from cryo-sleep, I must now continue to gripe about fates!

In retrospect, I think I really would have liked to spent the money I wasted on this on another platoon of battlefront pz IV ausf Hs instead, or another box of knights of the realm. Do note that the following is very much a rant, and if you want a more thorough analysis, look at Thane's posts.

Revelations combines the absolute worst of both Birthright (the grind-heavy nature) and Conquest (story nearly as bad as Age of Sigmar). If you ask me, a large amount of Revelation's story suffers from a case of telling not showing. We are given next to nothing regarding Valla. Are there truly any people living here, or are they all phantoms? How does Anankos revive the various dead characters? Necromancy? I mean fuck, I need something! I could continue on for days, but many of the others here have already done that, though as a final note, if you want to kill characters off, give them some development so I give a damn about them dying! Gameplay wise, you will never use half the units you are given outside of support grinding. Even worse, several characters I consider to be really good gameplay wise are gimped by horrible starting levels. Why would I use Nyx when she has such a crap start level? Why should I use anyone but the royals and Felicia/Jacob? Also, what is up with that pseudo fog-of-war map? It's not tense if I know which snow bank the enemy is hiding behind after a single run!

Soundtrack is really good though, but saying that Fates's soundtrack is good is like saying that water is wet.

Argh... damn head hurts... need more mead... To the OP, if you want more fates, Revelations is probably the best way to tie you over until Nintendo (hopefully) announces the next DLC wave. If you want a good game, I suggest a replay of Conquest on a higher difficulty level. If you want a good story... might I recommend the Epic of Gilgamesh or the Iliad? Those are pretty good.

I think the problem with Revelation is that it tries to be what RD was, but it had less of a "right" to do what RD did. What I'm talking about is the whole "two sides that were at each other's throats come together to go against a bigger threat" thing.

RD wasn't perfect, and its storyline (and part 4 in particular) is very contentious. But at the very least, it didn't come as nearly out of nowhere as things in Revelation did. RD had an entire previous game (PoR) to build up backstory about the world of Tellius (and I believe they did this very well) and to introduce us to many of the cast, since everyone but Largo is playable in both PoR and RD.

We already knew about how the people of Tellius worship Ashera and that a "dark god" was sealed away in Lehran's medallion. The twist comes when we learn that Yune is not evil and that the one everyone worshipped is the one that must be defeated, and that the history of the continent was a lie. But it all had a basis that was in both the previous game and RD itself, and the reason for the truce is also more realistic: Ashera turned everything into stone save for a few warriors, and they have to stop her.

Looking at Revelation, Birthright, and Conquest as a whole, you don't get that. Birthright and Conquest didn't explain shit. We don't really know a lot about the two countries, the history between them, the other countries that exist in this land. We don't even really hear about Anankos except for Garon dropping his name a few times in Conquest, and you most certainly don't learn as much about him in either Birthright or Conquest to the extent of Ashera and Yune (as the "dark god") in PoR/RD. So when Azura decides to drop a ridiculously large amount of exposition in chapter 6, it tries to shove in everything that PoR and RD had been building up to in a single explanation in a single chapter ... and it has a lot less effect. Corrin going around Hoshido and Nohr trying to convince all of their siblings to join them because of some threat that they cannot mention because "we just can't talk about it" doesn't give the sense of urgency either, and why the fuck does anyone believe them" People join Corrin because "they're Corrin" and they're "special". They don't join Corrin and go to Valla because there was some urgent, pressing threat they could all see.

Speaking of which, fuck Valla. Hoshido and Nohr could've used the screen time in Revelation to expand on their lore and history and world building, and they gave the third path to some lolcountry no one gives a fuck about.

tl;dr Revelation feels like cheap fanservice with very little rhyme or reason, and it only exists so that people can have their cake and eat it too (unless they like Yukimura, Scarlet, or Izana but at least all of the siblings and their retainers live!) while RD at least had more of a build-up and was treated in a far more responsible way than just shallow fanservice.

Edited by Sunwoo

What I meant was that if you move somewhere *NOT* in their range, they take their turn, move somewhere, and you are *NOW* in range, the alarm doesn't get triggered.

It has to be their turn and you're able to be attacked.

The alarm does trigger if you're in their range when they end their turn, but not what they first move.

I managed found video proof too.

also proof disproving my second point

go to 5:00 in this video

With my second point, I mean on player phase. That was incorrect though- they can only spawn on enemy phase

Speaking of which, fuck Valla. Hoshido and Nohr could've used the screen time in Revelation to expand on their lore and history and world building, and they gave the third path to some lolcountry no one gives a fuck about.

Hoshido and Nohr could have used time in their OWN game to expand on their lore. No game with 80+ chapters should be so sparse on lore. But yes, fuck Valla. There is no reason for it to exist at all if we learn so little about it. The chapters in Revelation could have happened in either Hoshido or Nohr and absolutely nothing meaningful would change in the plot.

While I like the idea of a third party between Hoshido and Nohr, I don't think it was executed very well. For one, if there was a reason why Valla had to manipulate things behind the scenes, I didn't catch/remember it.

[spoiler=Yggdra Union]For a better example, I consider Nessiah to be the third party between Bronqua and Fantanasia.

Edited by eggclipse

The alarm does trigger if you're in their range when they end their turn, but not what they first move.

I managed found video proof too.

also proof disproving my second point

go to 5:00 in this video

With my second point, I mean on player phase. That was incorrect though- they can only spawn on enemy phase

I see. So it's only PoR style in Normal Mode.

In all fairness.

Evil Gunther is sexy as fuck.

tbh yeah.

Revelation's biggest crime is that it is boring. The story is so dull that i cant even call it bad. Its just... a snooze fest. The later chapters have maps that, while interesting on a first run, get fucking boring as all hell in any subsequent runs. Its just slow and daunting. Nothing even happens in Valla, its just padding. (and gods, why did that Anthony kid even exist?) As a result, Anankos feels really anticlimactic and, again, boring. (at least his design is cool)

I dont mind doing Rev runs too much because i really do enjoy the huge cast party. Messing around with pairings with everyone at your disposal is a lot of fun. So if you really wanna get all the supports and see what its like to have all the kids in one file, getting Rev isnt a bad idea.

In short: Revelation is a big, fat pile of nothing.

I agree with this. The story is non-existent. As opposed to Conquest which is awful and Birthright which is a by the numbers, hero defeats evil empire story. Revelations is 20 chapters of DLC which I don't even think was intended to present a coherent story. It's a contrivance which allows you to get all the characters, shops, weapons, etc.

For me that's why I like it. It doesn't offend me like the other two, it's just a collection of maps.

As for the gameplay, I don't think it's as gimmicky as Conquest. If anything, I think the maps make it too easy because it's really easy to manage your exposure to the enemy on all those maps that only let you move so far in one round.

Revelation was mixed for me. It was generally OK but it had a few standout problems in my eyes.

The first problem I came across was the lack of units at the beginning. Not only did it make the game a little repetitive, but it also meant that when more units came, they had quite a lot of catching up to do.

This wasn't helped by the fact that a lot of units came very underlevelled through most of the game. The example of this I remember most was Nyx in Chapter 15, coming at the same level and with the same stats as in Conquest Chapter 9. It almost felt like, to me, that the devs realised they hadn't forgotten about Nyx so copied her code from Conquest and just put her there for completion's sake. I felt similarly about Shura, though only for the copy-paste impression I got from him (Having him with his Birthright bases at that point is kind of OP).

The third problem I came across was the gimmicky level design in a lot of Chapters. I didn't really like the path choice gimmick of Chapter 7 and Chapter 16's flame walls were a little annoying to get around. The problems were exposed most in the Valla chapters towards the end, with boring designs like the Cursed Ruins and incredibly tedious maps like Chapter 25 (for obvious reasons).

My final gripe was plot holes and other parts of the plot. So much is left unexplained despite Revelation being advertised to basically fill in the gaps from Birthright and Conquest. Anankos, for instance, didn't seem to have any sort of backstory, which disappointed me given that he was the main antagonist of Revelation and technically all three paths. I wanted to know why he was the 'Betrayed King', the 'Entombed God' and all that, and why he has a hatred for humans. Though I'll admit his visual design is creative, I felt very little emotion when defeating him other than the slight frustration of taking down the head and seeing the core come out. Also regarding the plot, I learned more about Fates' lore from the Ancient Texts in the Records Hall (which I decided to translate for some reason) than I did in Revelation, though Revelation did add some things to it. Also, character development was, of course, little, but that is a problem with Fates generally.

I can't say I hated Revelation though. There were fun moments and, of course, you can't go wrong with having basically all of the characters in one game. (I did miss characters like Izana and Scarlet a little to be honest though).