BLAZINGKNIGHT's 3FORALL: Fire Emblem Fates vs. Fire Emblem Awakening

Ew, I can't believe this guy is being brought up again.

So, as of the end of BLAZINGKNIGHT's Fates-athon, he has done a collab review/versus with HeeminGamingStation on Fates and Awakening, two HUGE points of contention on Serenes Forest Forums. I want to see your reactions, as I have already seen this video, and it even addresses some of the issues with our community as well as with these games.

Disclaimer: Please don't bash this guy. He does this out of his love for the series, and I don't want this thread locked because someone wouldn't keep their mouth shut.

I think they had a good opinion on the matter.

Even I'll admit that Conquest kinda tried to give a bad guys feeling, Awakening still has a better story despite its flaws.

The video was hard to watch with Shaggy acting as the co-host, but I think their breakdown was comprehensive and well considered. I don't agree with everything they say (Conquest is most awful story in the series, tied with Revelation) but I respect their opinion.

>thought the videow as bad

>thread creator asks to not bash

Dammit... I'll just leave this here, this video was inconsistent, had false facts and acting that made me want to commit euthanasium. Sorry but this video was baaaaaad and very much commentary material.

Edited by SSL01

I really wanted to enjoyed this video and I did. It's FAR from his worst videos, but I could not stand the co host, I'm sorry, he's just so cringe worthily bad. His skits felt like I was watching one of those rejects at ChannelAwesome. The only video I've seen from his channel is his top 10 worst Awakening units and it's one of the worst things I've seen: saying dancers/healers are bad because they are frail is a bad excuse, It's like saying a swiz-army knife is useless because you don't know how to use it. I think Crash deserved a better collab partner for this video. Good video but don't invite this guy again, you deserve better than that.

EDIT: Oh and I'm cool with their opinions and they backed them up fairly well excpt I find Fates' bosses more memorable than Awakenings with a few exceptions.

Edited by Rend Keaven

I don't mind if factual inaccuracies are pointed out. Nor do I mind if people dislike the video and/or its creator. What isn't cool is directly insulting said creator. That's all.

Given the reactions of everyone else, I'm not inclined to watch this.

Edited by eggclipse

>thought the videow as bad

>thread creator asks to not bash

Dammit... I'll just leave this here, this video was inconsistent, had false facts and acting that made me want to commit euthanasium. Sorry but this video was baaaaaad and very much commentary material.

You were the very reason I put the disclaimer in the OP. You put up a thread with one of his videos with the express intent to bash his opinion, which is against forum rules. I also did not say I hated the video, as that strike through was meant to convey what some people think of this YouTuber.

You were the very reason I put the disclaimer in the OP. You put up a thread with one of his videos with the express intent to bash his opinion, which is against forum rules. I also did not say I hated the video, as that strike through was meant to convey what some people think of this YouTuber.

I outlined what I wanted, right above your post. I'll post it again:

I don't mind if factual inaccuracies are pointed out. Nor do I mind if people dislike the video and/or its creator. What isn't cool is directly insulting said creator. That's all.

Given the reactions of everyone else, I'm not inclined to watch this.

The criticism that were quoted were against the video itself, which is fine. Granted, the wording's really bad, but I'm torn between offense due to the butchering of the English language, and immature giggling because I don't think I've ever seen a sentiment expressed quite that tactlessly.

<hypocrisy> No minimodding </hypocrisy>

(Man, I hope that little joke gets us out of the flame war...)

The video was interesting, I also must admit a bit funny sometimes and I respect their opinions but I must admit they are some things I disagree with.

It's quite hard to judge the video for me since some parts are heavily based on personal matters and on their opinions but here is what I think :

1. The characters:

Like them, I would say that Awakening has the better characters overall. I would like to add that the best characters of Fates are better than the best characters of Awakening and that the worst characters of Fates are worst than the worst characters of Awakening.

However I disagree when Shaggy is saying that Peri and Camilla are deep characters especially compared to what they call "cardboard characters", like a character who has "ninja" as the "main trait" (I assume that he was talking about Saizo), Beruka, Niles and Shura.

2. The gameplay:

Like they said, Fates has a better gameplay than Awakening. It has a better pair up mechanic, a better unit balance (especially for the children) and better maps overall for example. Though I found Awakening better than Revelations because it got a better unit balance and maps.

3. Graphics and Art style:

I would say that Fates got better designs overall especially for the generics and for some classes like the Cavalier class.

However I am not a fan of some of the fanservice designs especially when it doesn't make sense for the more "armored" classes (General Effie's ass, Camilla's Revenant Knight armor, etc...). I also prefer Awakening's Dark mage and Sorceror design over the Fates ones.

4. Music / Soundtracks:

I think Awakening has a more memorable and better soundtrack overall.

But Fates' soundtrack is very good as well especially the preparations themes, Alight, A Dark Fall (and their storm/fire variations), Past Below, Far away, Obsidian Ruler, the endgame music, etc...

5. Boss battles:

I feel like part 5, part 6 and part 7 should have been with the gameplay part but whatever.

I disagree when Shaggy said that this generic boss Ignatius is a very memorable boss in Awakening and compared to some Fates' bosses. Sure some of the fates bosses are Vallites and Faceless but we also got Risens and even reused bosses portraits in Awakening.

I am not sure why he doesn't want to include the siblings as bosses becase they are playables since Gangrel, Walhart, Yen'fay and Aversa are playable as well.

Most of the Fates' capturable and paralogues bosses had more "personalities" in their introductions than some of the reused generic ones in the paralogues from Awakening.

It's maybe not saying much but I think some Conquest bosses were much harder than the ones of the other 2 routes and from Awakening as well.

6. Difficulty:

I disagree with CRASHX500/BLAZINGKNIGHT when he said that Awakening was one of the toughest FE games if you don't grind/reclass/raise support bonuses.

I think Birthright and Conquest did a better job at the difficulty balancingas you continue playing the game even though Birthright was easier.

I don't really understand what they were talking about Phoenix mode so I will not say anything about this.

I also disagree about Revelations being ok because of getting most of the units and that it offers a good experience, whatever you grind or not.

Like I said earlier, it got flaws on the unit balance, there are also the annoying and tedious maps like chapter 10, chapter 24 and chapter 25 for example and the limited unit deployment for some chapters despite having most characters.

7. Replay value:

Quite hard for me to choose between the two I must admit but I don't see how Birthright and Conquest not getting all the characters and the eternal seals not being cheap make it less replayable.

8. Story:

Awakening wins. I will not say that the story is very good but it's better to me than Fates'.

I disagree once again especially when they say that Conquest has the best story and of the reasons being it's "different". Just becase a story is different from the others doesn't make it good or better.

Revelations has issues on his own like they said mostly during the second half of the game in Valla though Azura knowing everything compared to the other routes, Izuma's pointless death, Garon's evil monologue, the villains, Ryoma's retainers being ok about defeating Ryoma, etc... aren't good things either.

I feel like Birthright seems underrated compared to the other routes' stories in that video.

It might be basic and predictable but it's the only route which explains the worldbuilding better especially with chapter 22.

Chapter 22 explains Nohr better than the other routes with the underground city, Garon's past and one of his wives Arete, Shura with the Kohga/Mokushu conflict Elise's activities when she's not in the castle with her nanny and the lack of Nohr's ressources (and which is a better excuse for invading countries compared to the other routes) for example.

Also even if Hinoka and Sakura don't get many story moments compared to their brothers, the same can also be applied to both Camilla and Elise in Conquest and Revelations since they aren't memorable in these routes at all as well, especially compared to Leo and Xander.

Birthright is the best story of the 3 paths in my opinion but like the others it has major flaws as well and is also ruined because of Conquest and Revelations throwing the Nohr ressources idea and Revelations' golden and probably canon ending making both Birthright and Conquest obsolete.

Since CRASHX500/BLAZINGKNIGHT is currently playing FE4, I am quite curious about what he thinks about this game as well.

However I disagree when Shaggy is saying that Peri and Camilla are deep characters especially compared to what they call "cardboard characters", like a character who has "ninja" as the "main trait" (I assume that he was talking about Saizo), Beruka, Niles and Shura.

I think he's right. At least Peri has a good backstory (but most people are too disgusted by her attitude for no reason), very good supports overall, and she stands out of the mass, so I think she's much more memorable than bland characters like Effie, Hana, Saizo, Kagero, etc. Camilla's backstory is more a fannon, but her supports are actually good too.