Anyone else have a problem with going "too hardcore"?

Playsta

Basically started with Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, and without even completing anything I go like "You know what would be fun? No death run on Lunatic on first try!". About 20 tries later I have only managed to get to chapter 10 lol. I want to actually complete the game but I lose all will to continue when one of my characters die. Had the same problem with Awakening with only first actually completing it like a year after I got it because of these rules I set for myself lol. Just wanted to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Setting limits for yourself is fun, when you know that you aren't stepping outside your own capabilities. But when you set limits that are extremely high for your "usual" play-style, when you fail, it can drain any excitement from you in a heartbeat. I like higher difficulty, but I know my limits - I don't want to torture myself. There's a difference between challenging difficulty and limits/difficulty that pushes you to insanity. Even more-so when you yourself are the one who placed these rules. It hurts more when you fail, because you haven't tested your limits. For example, I cannot complete FE 5 without a beginner's guide.

(FE 6 Hard mode Prepromotes & Roy only, no resets, get everything).

Edited by Lord Tullus

It's only a problem when you feel like you're trying to impress others with that feat. Like, I'm not saying it's you, but it's the only real reason I see. It's not really fun as it is punishing yourself, when you could actually enjoy the game for what it is. HM is great.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I tried Hard Mode in Binding Blade with as little death as possible. (My "best" Normal Mode had Rutger die, but that's it. Everyone else recruited and alive.) I gave up on Chapter 7 and gave up Hard Mode entirely. I can do arena abuse or boss abuse and trash my gameplay ratings that way; that's no problem. But I...just can't let my precious boys and girls die!