Tips for a first ever FE7 Ironman playthrough?

RiggyRob

As the title states, I'm planning on doing an Ironman Let's Play of Fire Emblem 7 on YouTube (I'll post a thread in the Let's Play/Stream section on here too), and before I start I figured I might as well ask the veterans for some tips!

I'm not planning for it to be a low turn count run or be locked into certain characters like a draft or PMU (although I'll probably use characters that are suggested), just looking to get advice on what I should consider for an Ironman playthrough in particular, especially since it'll be the first one I've ever done.

I don't think the Ironman rule changes much. I thing you could just look at the normal FE7 tier list and be fine with that (note that the FE7 tier list on SF is for HHM, but it can also be applied to EHM with some minor changes).

The only slight change I would make in an Ironman tier list is valuing units with high base stats higher. They don't need to be trained as much if you ever need to replace someone who died.

I don't think the Ironman rule changes much. I thing you could just look at the normal FE7 tier list and be fine with that (note that the FE7 tier list on SF is for HHM, but it can also be applied to EHM with some minor changes).

The only slight change I would make in an Ironman tier list is valuing units with high base stats higher. They don't need to be trained as much if you ever need to replace someone who died.

Yeah, I hardly ever use prepromotes so this playthrough should force me out of that habit! I also should have mentioned I'll be playing on Lyn and Eliwood Normal mode since I'll effectively be starting from a brand new game, but I would imagine the advice would stay mostly the same.

It shouldn't really be that hard on ENM. Focus on using less characters rather than more. Especially since it's ENM your characters will be able to start bulldozing through large groups quicker if you're using less. Watch out for effective or killer weaponry and moving bosses (eg Four-Fanged Offence Lloyd); nothing else should really pose a threat. Lowen will probably be very good since his durability is great and his offence isn't an issue on ENM.

It shouldn't really be that hard on ENM. Focus on using less characters rather than more. Especially since it's ENM your characters will be able to start bulldozing through large groups quicker if you're using less. Watch out for effective or killer weaponry and moving bosses (eg Four-Fanged Offence Lloyd); nothing else should really pose a threat. Lowen will probably be very good since his durability is great and his offence isn't an issue on ENM.

I can only take 7 to the final chapter anyway right? I usually maximise the number of people I take just because it feels weird not to, but I will definitely focus on who I want to take to the end.

I can only take 7 to the final chapter anyway right? I usually maximise the number of people I take just because it feels weird not to, but I will definitely focus on who I want to take to the end.

I think it's either 10 or 12, with four locked in. Don't put all your eggs in one basket because that basket might die.

What happens if you lose a lord?

That's a good strategy. I agree with Parrhesia but one of the good things about FE7 is that it gives you a lot of great prepromotes to bolster your ranks should the rest of your army be kinda uh...dead. The first time I played HHM, I did an Ironman and 90% of my units died, so by the end the only people that were left were a few brave troopers (shoutouts to Raven and Farina) and most of the lategame prepromotes. It was pretty great, and I hope you have fun with your Ironman too! They are good times.

And if you want to watch someone else Ironman some of the older FE games, an SF user by the name of Jedi did an Ironman of both books of FE3 in the LP section.

Edited by Refa

I think it's either 10 or 12, with four locked in. Don't put all your eggs in one basket because that basket might die.

What happens if you lose a lord?

If I focus on the characters I want to take to endgame I'm hoping they'll be less likely to die, but yeah I'll watch out for that.

If a Lord dies, I'll continue as normal, but I'll sacrifice a character in their place - I'll put up a poll in several places (YouTube, Twitter, here etc.) so that viewers can decide who it should be.

That's a good strategy. I agree with Parrhesia but one of the good things about FE7 is that it gives you a lot of great prepromotes to bolster your ranks should the rest of your army be kinda uh...dead. The first time I played HHM, I did an Ironman and 90% of my units died, so by the end the only people that were left were a few brave troopers (shoutouts to Raven and Farina) and most of the lategame prepromotes. It was pretty great, and I hope you have fun with your Ironman too! They are good times.

And if you want to watch someone else Ironman some of the older FE games, an SF user by the name of Jedi did an Ironman of both books of FE3 in the LP section.

I'm hoping that I'll change my mindset of never using prepromotes during this Ironman, if only to see what they're like when they replace someone who's died!

Edited by RiggyRob

What I advise with ironman stuff is like, first of all don't get salty with low % bs, its all kind of a part of Ironmans, also you should be fine in fe7 if you use the big names like Marcus, Pent etc, 7 is pretty great in the sense that you can pretty much use anyone and get results out of it, so a death shouldn't be too much of a setback in the long run.

You flatter me hahaha.

Should one of the units you've been training die, prepromotes are your friend

Prepromotes in FE7 are good, use them well

And for the love of anything, don't let your Lords die, since then you're forced to restart

I'm adding a Lords Clause where that if a Lord dies, I'll restart the chapter and continue the game but a character will be chosen as a sacrifice in their place via a poll that people here and the viewers on YouTube and Twitter can vote on.

What I advise with ironman stuff is like, first of all don't get salty with low % bs, its all kind of a part of Ironmans, also you should be fine in fe7 if you use the big names like Marcus, Pent etc, 7 is pretty great in the sense that you can pretty much use anyone and get results out of it, so a death shouldn't be too much of a setback in the long run.

You flatter me hahaha.

Yep, prepromotes like Pent and Marcus come highly recommended so I'll probably end up using them. I've never had trouble with low % criticals killing people, but you just know it'll happen during an Ironman run!

Edited by RiggyRob

I'm adding a Lords Clause where that if a Lord dies, I'll restart the chapter and continue the game but a character will be chosen as a sacrifice in their place via a poll that people here and the viewers on YouTube and Twitter can vote on.

Yep, prepromotes like Pent and Marcus come highly recommended so I'll probably end up using them. I've never had trouble with low % criticals killing people, but you just know it'll happen during an Ironman run!

That Lord clause is good, so that you make sure you finish the game, play Lyn mode if you wanna use, Sain, Kent, Florina, Wil, Dorcas, Erk, Matthew, Rath, Lucius or Wallace

That Lord clause is good, so that you make sure you finish the game, play Lyn mode if you wanna use, Sain, Kent, Florina, Wil, Dorcas, Erk, Matthew, Rath, Lucius or Wallace

I have to play Lyn's mode anyway because I'm playing on the Wii U Virtual Console and it's like starting a brand new game. I think I'm going to focus on Sain and Florina if I can; Matthew will always be useful as a thief and Lucius is always pretty good for me. Wallace is going to be wasted because of the forced promotion.

The rest, ehhh I dunno about them. I'll have to see how they turn out.

I have to play Lyn's mode anyway because I'm playing on the Wii U Virtual Console and it's like starting a brand new game. I think I'm going to focus on Sain and Florina if I can; Matthew will always be useful as a thief and Lucius is always pretty good for me. Wallace is going to be wasted because of the forced promotion.

The rest, ehhh I dunno about them. I'll have to see how they turn out.

Well, if you were gonna use Wallace, play LHM so you aren't forced to promote him at Level 12

Also, I neglected to mention Serra, as you will use her anyway because healing and Lyn who you will use because Lord

Well, if you were gonna use Wallace, play LHM so you aren't forced to promote him at Level 12

Also, I neglected to mention Serra, as you will use her anyway because healing and Lyn who you will use because Lord

Yep - although Serra's getting benched for Priscilla ASAP, she's going to be the only healer for 8+ chapters so she's necessary.

Don't die

Truer words were never spoken.

Edited by RiggyRob

Yep - although Serra's getting benched for Priscilla ASAP, she's going to be the only healer for 8+ chapters so she's necessary.

I'd say that you might want to keep Serra around just in case, since one healer really isn't enough, ESPECIALLY for an Ironman run

I'd say that you might want to keep Serra around just in case, since one healer really isn't enough, ESPECIALLY for an Ironman run

True - I should've said that Priscilla will become the main healer, and Serra might get switched out for Erk/Lucius upon promotion.

True - I should've said that Priscilla will become the main healer, and Serra might get switched out for Erk/Lucius upon promotion.

Assuming of course, that Erk and Lucius aren't dead

If Erk dies, then there's always Pent

You might use Pent anyway because Pent is amazing