Let's talk about Zephiel

MageSons

Actually, that last one was explained by Guinivere herself to Roy. Desmond's marriage with Hellene was potilical in nature, and they didn't really love each other. So as a result he didn't like Zephiel, the result of that union, either. Zephiel himself as a kid didn't fully knew why, so he tried to excel at many things to get his approval. But that only resulted in Desmond hating him even more, since to him it looked like he was trying to upstage him and be seen as the better ruler of the two. As a result, he hated the idea of Zephiel inheriting the throne, which is why he resorted to trying to kill him, so Guinivere could become Queen and the next King would be whoever she married.

Blazing Sword not focusing a lot on Bern's situation is likely a result of being a prequel game. After all, for those who played Blazing Sword having played Binding Blade first it's likely they would probably have considered the focus Bern got as enough for a prequel that was about something else, since they already know what's what there. As such, it's just an unfortunate case that most of the world didn't got the one that was released first of the two, where they do go in detail about it.

But I don't think she mentioned to him that Desmond didn't like Hellene did she? Which chapter was it mentioned in Binding Blade?

Also If Zephiel was to put an end to human civilization, shouldn't the people of Bern also protest against that since well...he's the king of Bern and the king is to lead the people in a country?

But I don't think she mentioned to him that Desmond didn't like Hellene did she? Which chapter was it mentioned in Binding Blade?

Also If Zephiel was to put an end to human civilization, shouldn't the people of Bern also protest against that since well...he's the king of Bern and the king is to lead the people in a country?

Of course Hellene wouldn't be mentioned in specific. I think Guinivere only mentions that the marriage wasn't a happy one due to being political in nature, but at this moment I don't remember. Well, there's always the scripts to recheck. She explains the situation to Roy during the Illia/Sacae routes, divided in parts during each chapter.

It's likely not many really knew about that part of Zephiel's plans. Or the existence of Yahn and his own agenda. For all they knew, they were simply showing the rest of Elibe that Bern was the top of the pyramid.

I don't think Zephiel clued them in on that part of his agenda. But I believe Brunnya said that the troops didn't trust this weird sorceress hanging around their king all the time.

Thank god people here understand that you shouldn't blame Jaffar and Nino for not killing Zepheil.

Although I do wonder what Hector meant when he said to him that they used to be friends and all of that.

Actually, despite the stories in both games being good, there are a few plotholes here and there. Like why doesn't Guinivere say something to him before Roy kills him? Why doesn't Blazing sword elaborate more on Bern's situation rather than focusing more on Nergal? We could get an idea of what actually made Desmond that stupid to constantly try to kill his "son" in the first place.

I agree, the devs kind of forgot why they made a prequel in the first place... All thanks to the stupid localization that we get Nergal's story instead of getting the focus on Desmond and Zephy's backstory...

I agree, the devs kind of forgot why they made a prequel in the first place... All thanks to the stupid localization that we get Nergal's story instead of getting the focus on Desmond and Zephy's backstory...

I wouldn't mind them making a prequel...but showing off Zephiel into and adult with him bringing an evil scheme at the end, posting fin at the end....doesn't seem like a good ending doesn't it? Infact, I actually now understand why some will be frustrated that binding blade didn't get localized.

...then again, if it DID get localized, I doubt that it would perform that well in the west...

I wouldn't mind them making a prequel...but showing off Zephiel into and adult with him bringing an evil scheme at the end, posting fin at the end....doesn't seem like a good ending doesn't it? Infact, I actually now understand why some will be frustrated that binding blade didn't get localized.

...then again, if it DID get localized, I doubt that it would perform that well in the west...

Well, to be fair there, the scene was made knowing a good portion of the people that would see it already knew and played what happened next. In the end, only the American release ended with a cliffhanger that went nowhere (if I remember right, the scene was removed in the European one).

Well, it depends. Are we speaking back in the early 2000's? It's likely it could've fared well, considering the exposition from SSBM would've still been fresh. That was kinda the point of Roy in Melee, as promotion for his upcoming game.

Well, it depends. Are we speaking back in the early 2000's? It's likely it could've fared well, considering the exposition from SSBM would've still been fresh. That was kinda the point of Roy in Melee, as promotion for his upcoming game.

You also have to consider the game's insane difficulty. Sure a lot like the game and defend it to a great extent but that doesn't guarantee sales. FE existed in Japan longer than the West so a thing that FE is played on the go is bound to do wonders in Japan.

But since FE7 was going for a more forgiving learning curve, its the most sensible thing they could ever have done to release FE to the west. Though NoA should have altered the ending instead of what it is now knowing of their "odd" ways of changing games.....

EDIT: Anyways...not getting to much into the production values here so I'd say that NoA should have removed that scene like how NoE did so that it could be even and that not many would know that its a prequel to binding blade except the die hard fans like us.

Edited by Harvey

You also have to consider the game's insane difficulty. Sure a lot like the game and defend it to a great extent but that doesn't guarantee sales. FE existed in Japan longer than the West so a thing that FE is played on the go is bound to do wonders in Japan.

But since FE7 was going for a more forgiving learning curve, its the most sensible thing they could ever have done to release FE to the west. Though NoA should have altered the ending instead of what it is now knowing of their "odd" ways of changing games.....

If the game had been chosen to be localized, it's likely they could've done something about that. That's why Blazing Sword was made the way it was, because it was the game to introduce FE to the West, so it was built up with that in mind. Odds are stuff like Lyn's Mode wouldn't have made it in if Blazing Sword wasn't the first FE game to get localized. In fact, you can skip Lyn's Mode in the Japanese version if you link the game up with a copy of Binding Blade (this was also one way to unlock the epilogue scenes, unlike overseas copies where they play by default).

If you ask me, perhaps a localized Binding Blade could've affected the focus Zephiel's backstory may have gotten in a hypotheticaly different Blazing Sword. The latter game's story can be seen as stand-alone, which was perhaps the result of being in a game introduced to an audience that didn't saw the other game, so that could've played as a factor.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

How is that the localizer's fault?

How is that the localizer's fault?

I'm not actually saying that it's the localizer's fault, what I'm saying is that we got a *very* different story that isn't that much related to Zephiel, due to the fact that Roy and Marth became so popular in NA even though they weren't really introduced properly, so the devs decided, "How about we release our next fire emblem game in the USA since it's a prequel and it wouldn't really confuse players", that idea kinda just came up and then they snuck in Lyn and Nergal.

I'm not actually saying that it's the localizer's fault, what I'm saying is that we got a *very* different story that isn't that much related to Zephiel, due to the fact that Roy and Marth became so popular in NA even though they weren't really introduced properly, so the devs decided, "How about we release our next fire emblem game in the USA since it's a prequel and it wouldn't really confuse players", that idea kinda just came up and then they snuck in Lyn and Nergal.

I honestly don't think that's how it worked.

More likely, the focus on Nergal and the Black Fang was because that way, the conflict could be more hush-hush. Word of FE7's conflict never really got out, something that wouldn't have been possible if they focused on the very very public lives of the Bernese Royal Family and them fighting with the Lycians. If there was such a public run in with the place at the time, it would be significantly more weird than a single character (who just chills on the plains after the game anyway) not existing in the chronologically later story.

I honestly don't think that's how it worked.More likely, the focus on Nergal and the Black Fang was because that way, the conflict could be more hush-hush. Word of FE7's conflict never really got out, something that wouldn't have been possible if they focused on the very very public lives of the Bernese Royal Family and them fighting with the Lycians. If there was such a public run in with the place at the time, it would be significantly more weird than a single character (who just chills on the plains after the game anyway) not existing in the chronologically later story.

Good observation, I just realized that focusing on the Royal Bern Family would turn FE7's storyline to a kingdom drama one(Just like the Korean Dramas I used to watch but I won't elaborate on that so you do your research).