First Ever FE7 Ironman Let's Play! UPDATE: COMPLETED!

RiggyRob

As some of you may already have seen, I asked for some tips for an FE7 Ironman playthrough on here that I was planning to do on YouTube, and here it is!

Part 1: Lyn Mode - Prologue:

Rules:
► Standard Ironman rules: no resets, no restarts, no do-overs. If someone dies, they're dead forever.
► LORDS CLAUSE: If a Lord dies, I'll restart the chapter and the game will continue, but a character will be chosen to be sacrificed in their place - choices will be included in a poll on here, YouTube and Twitter so that you viewers can decide who that should be.
► You're free to discuss anything but please no spoilers for Fire Emblem Conquest or Revelations - I've pretty much finished Birthright, but I've still not started the other two!

As I'm starting from a fresh game on the Wii U Virtual Console, I'll be playing on Lyn Easy Mode (the forced tutorial) and Eliwood Normal Mode, and I'll be following the story but have battle animations turned off until Eliwood's Mode (unless requested otherwise by popular demand).

I'm planning to record videos on a chapter by chapter basis, but for longer chapters I'll split them up into Part 1, Part 2 etc. if they're going to be longer than 30 minutes. I should hopefully have videos uploaded on a daily to every-two-days basis (it depends on what our channel's schedule is like, we're currently playing through the Dark Souls 3 Ashes of Ariandel DLC as well).

Hope you're looking forward to it as much as I am!

Archive of episodes:

Edited by RiggyRob

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strong start on the commentary side of things, something I find I still struggle with myself.

I originally thought of splitting chapters that were longer, but I think a "video per chapter" works for the most part, of course i'm not you, so feel free to disregard, thats just what I do for mine haha.

Edited by Jedi

Strong start on the commentary side of things, something I find I still struggle with myself.

I originally thought of splitting chapters that were longer, but I think a "video per chapter" works for the most part, of course i'm not you, so feel free to disregard, thats just what I do for mine haha.

At least for Lyn's mode, a video per chapter should be fine, even with including the story.

It's when I'm getting to Battle Before Dawn/Cog of Destiny, where it'll be at least 1hr before I'm even close to finishing the chapter, that I'll split them into 2 parts, or even 3 if need be.

Here's Chapter 1 - Footsteps of Fate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o2hhNPYzHBbNUfi6t9vDZxy&v=8ppQFOkkMCM

Thus begins my over-exaggerated British voices for Kent and Sain, and cockney accents for the minor brigand villains.

I actually had fun doing Sain's lines in an over the top accent! Suits his personality perfectly.

Edited by RiggyRob

I like it, you have a good voice in general :P:

Do you have any particular all time favorite FE characters? I assume the Black Knight just MAY be one haha

Cheers, I'll try and keep the voice acting up then!

The Black Knight is my favourite in terms of personality and design (I mean just look at that red cape), but Ike and Joshua come close too.

Part 4 - Chapter Three of Lyn's Mode, Band of Mercenaries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o2hhNPYzHBbNUfi6t9vDZxy&v=HwPJ1wIa38w

And so begins the babying of Florina! I'm hoping she'll turn out good, I could really do with her not being Strength-screwed, it'd make the playthrough so much easier.

As for Wil - eh. I'll see how he turns out, but I'm not expecting anything impressive to be honest.

Part 5 - Chapter 4 of Lyn's Mode, In Occupation's Shadow:

The first Defend chapter! I always like the Defend chapters, they're always easier to deal with than Defeat all enemies - although I may be talking from the point of view of Awakening's Defeat all enemies chapters which ended up being tedious.

Dorcas might be alright, depends on how he grows. He's going to be a worse Hector anyway, but he might be the second best axe-user for the rest of the game.

Part 6 - Chapter 5 of Lyn's Mode, Beyond the Border:

I forgot Serra starts off with 2 Magic at base, that's terrible. Fingers crossed that Erk grows well, he usually doesn't! Edited by RiggyRob

Sorry been meaning to keep up with this, work has been somewhat hectic of late.

Don't worry about it - this playthrough is going to be updated every two days for the foreseeable future, so you'll always have time to catch up on it.

Diggin the playthrough man. One thing you might want to know is that you can't actually get supports in Lyn mode; just thought I'd tell you before you spent 100+ turns grinding out on the last chapter :p

It's interesting that you're thinking about Dorcas, I've always been more of a Bartre guy myself. You don't get Lyn mode EXP, but eh, at the very least he's entertaining. I think Erk's biggest problem though is that he decided to exist in the same game as Pent.

Diggin the playthrough man. One thing you might want to know is that you can't actually get supports in Lyn mode; just thought I'd tell you before you spent 100+ turns grinding out on the last chapter :p

It's interesting that you're thinking about Dorcas, I've always been more of a Bartre guy myself. You don't get Lyn mode EXP, but eh, at the very least he's entertaining. I think Erk's biggest problem though is that he decided to exist in the same game as Pent.

Fuck, really? No supports work in Lyn's mode at all? Well that just makes it a massive waste of time unless you're training up Matthew/Rath.

I think Dorcas is more balanced compared to Bartre, plus Bartre is useless outside of recruiting Karla because of Hector Mode - you get the Lyn EXP AND his Speed/Skill is much higher.

Fuck, really? No supports work in Lyn's mode at all? Well that just makes it a massive waste of time unless you're training up Matthew/Rath.

I think Dorcas is more balanced compared to Bartre, plus Bartre is useless outside of recruiting Karla because of Hector Mode - you get the Lyn EXP AND his Speed/Skill is much higher.

I suppose you have a point (Dorcas does have better base Speed and Skill than Bartre), but Dorcas really isn't that good, tbf.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I suppose you have a point (Dorcas does have better base Speed and Skill than Bartre), but Dorcas really isn't that good, tbf.

None of the axe users apart from Hector are good really. I'll probably end up using Hawkeye at some point though, need to see how he compares to the team when he joins.

Part 9 - Chapter 7x of Lyn's Mode, The Black Shadow:

For some reason, I remember this chapter being a lot harder when I was younger - maybe it was because I didn't get the thief quickly enough and ended up having to chase him back to the boss.

Part 10 - Chapter 8 of Lyn's Mode, Vortex of Strategy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o2hhNPYzHBbNUfi6t9vDZxy&v=HQPaMXZPiUs

I forgot that there was a ballista in this chapter, I should probably have brought Florina to the previous one. Also, what's the reason for Matthew not being available in this chapter again? Something to do with meeting up with Hector right?

Part 11 - Chapter 9 of Lyn's Mode, A Grim Reunion:

I got damn lucky with Florina in this map! I didn't realise the reinforcements came in at the end of the player phase instead of the enemy phase.

I really don't like Fog of War maps. Edited by RiggyRob

Part 12 - Chapter 10 of Lyn's Mode, The Distant Plains:

And that is Lyn's Mode all wrapped up!

I'll be keeping the animations on from now on (it's actually really scary not being able to at least see the battle stats in the Enemy Phase), which will invariably mean that some chapters will get even longer than this one. Not sure when they'll get so long they'll need to be cut into Part 1 and Part 2 of the chapter, but I reckon it'll happen sooner than I think.

Edited by RiggyRob

Part 13 - Chapter 11 (Eliwood Normal Mode),Taking Leave:

It's probably not the most original accent, but I kinda like Lowen's weird Southern American/stoner accent I came up with. I think it fits him and his hairstyle!

I'm probably going to use the Dragonshield on Eliwood since it'll be a while before we get Lyn again and I'll need to feed Eliwood stat boosters to make up for any mediocre growths.

Part 14 - Chapter 12 (Eliwood Normal Mode), Birds of a Feather:

Eliwood got damn lucky, that's for sure!

Also, the translation that's in the European Wii U Virtual Console is weirdly inconsistent, I don't like it.

Edited by RiggyRob

Part 15 - Chapter 13 (Eliwood Normal Mode), In Search of Truth:

We have Guy! I always liked Guy, I think it's his unique Myrmidon/Swordmaster sprite, and I always liked the idea of Myrmidons/Swordmasters phasing in and out of reality with their critical animations - they're just so damn cool.

Next, we have to save Merlinus's sorry arse!