First Ever FE7 Ironman Let's Play! UPDATE: COMPLETED!

RiggyRob

Part 39 - Chapter 23 (2/2) of Eliwood Normal Mode, "Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me!": 

Linus went down without a problem, I was really expecting more trouble from him - doesn't he usually move? I know Lloyd does in the other version of the map (which makes it so much harder than this version!)

Edited by RiggyRob

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part 40 - Chapter 24 (1/2) of Eliwood Normal Mode, Unfulfilled Heart:

I'll figure out how to mine glitch the Uber Spear from Vaida for next time, it should be perfect for Sain - and finally, I can start promoting the Lords! Still a few levels off, but at least I don't need to worry about wasting EXP with them now.

Edited by RiggyRob

Part 41 - Chapter 24 (2/2) of Eliwood Normal Mode, "Mine Glitch For The Uber Spear!":

So the Mine Glitch is actually really easy to do on emulators - Uber Spear get!

Also I keep thinking the missions are harder than they actually are, I was expecting shit loads of wyvern rider reinforcements and not that many came.

Edited by RiggyRob

Part 42 - Chapter 25 (1/2) of Eliwood Normal Mode, Pale Flower of Darkness (Kenneth Version): 

I have never played this map before, I always get the Jerme version - mainly because Guy and Raven outpace Lucius and Erk, but this time Guy is dead and Erk is promoted. Also I didn't pay attention to the fact that this map is where you recruit Harken/Karel, so now I'm getting Karel - which is nice actually, now I can have a Swordmaster.

Also also now I need to use Legault, fucking Matthew ¬_¬

• 2 weeks later...

Part 43 - Chapter 25 (2/2) of Eliwood Normal Mode, "Karel, The Saint of Swords": 

Goddamn, Kenneth's crit rate with Aura is absurd, and it feels like I've been Luck-screwed with a fair few characters on my team.

Managed to recruit Karel no problem, didn't realise he's a green unit rather than an enemy unit, and I managed to work around losing Matthew by keeping the thief alive and strategic use of the chest keys.

Edited by RiggyRob

Part 44 - Chapter 26 (1/2) of Eliwood Normal Mode, Battle Before Dawn: 

Unfortunately, I feel like I slightly cheated with the start of this mission, although it wasn't entirely intended - I forgot to record my first attempt at this, and I had disabled the Elgato Flashback Recording feature because it seems to be the cause of some crashes, so I couldn't just 're-record' it that way.

Ah well - everything went smoothly anyway; nobody died, Fiora is still being a BEAST, and I'm pretty sure I'm closing in on my endgame team now.

Part 45 - Chapter 26 (2/2) of Eliwood Normal Mode, "The Knife In The Darkness": 

Fiora + Barrier staff = BEAST MODE tank against Ursula's Bolting. Just about managed to get all of the chest items, and took down Ursula with Sain using the Uber Spear.

Now we're off to fight Sonia!

• 2 weeks later...

Part 46 - Chapter 26x (1/3) of Eliwood Normal Mode, Night of Farewells: 

Damn this map is huge! The gimmick of the bridges is just as annoying as I remember and yet I can see some callbacks to it in Fates with the theatre missions with the boats.

At least I'm not getting cleaned out, Fiona is becoming the MVP of the playthrough.

Edited by RiggyRob

Part 47 - Chapter 26x (2/3) of Eliwood Normal Mode, "The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors": 

Bishops using Berserk staves doesn't sit right with me - I mean, I guess it's the point to show the Black Fang have been infiltrated by Nergal's men, but still. The druid should use the Berserk staff and the bishop should use Physic dammit!

Luckily, haven't had to deal with a unit going berserk - thank you Restore staff!

Part 48 - Chapter 26x (3/3) of Eliwood Normal Mode, "Mother, Why Have You Forsaken Me?": 

And there we go! Night of Farewells complete, all treasure collected, and no losses - can't complain really, especially when Sonia was less of a threat than I was expecting. Doesn't she usually have high crit chances with FImbulvetr?

Looking forward to tackling Cog of Destiny next time!

• 3 weeks later...

Part 49 - Chapter 27 (1/2) of Eliwood Normal Mode, Cog of Destiny: 

Finally got round to doing it! You know, the sheer number of reinforcements on this map is incredible, but I suppose that's the end-game for you.

I'll bet it's even scarier if Lloyd/Linus moves!

Part 50 Chapter 27 (2/2) of Eliwood Normal Mode, "Gears of War": 

Aaaaand Cog of Destiny complete! Went rather smoothly, all things considered, although Lloyds crit rate is a NIGHTMARE to work around.  

Edited by RiggyRob

Part 51, Chapter 28 of Eliwood Normal Mode, Valorous Roland: 

Back on the horse once more - literally, in Eliwood's case!

I always forget that enemy bosses can have such high critrates when they're Swordmasters/Berserkers, makes them so much scarier to face.

Edited by RiggyRob

Part 52, Chapter 29 (1/2) of Eliwood Normal Mode, Sands of Time: 

And so we have the most forgettable chapter in the game - the fact that Denning isn't a morph of any note and comes out of nowhere, and Nils can't be used for reasons makes this chapter kind of blah, at least in Normal Mode. I imagine this map would be pretty fun to play in Hector Hard Mode!

Part 53, Chapter 29 (2/2) of Eliwood Normal Mode, "The Hourglass Is Running Out": 

Chapter complete - no need to visit the secret shop with the warp staff, although really, who would still need a promotion item at this point in the game?

Off to prepare for battle!

Double whammy today!

Part 54, Chapter 29x of Eliwood Normal Mode, Battle Preparations: 

Standard battle preparations, nothing really too interesting, although now I know I shouldn't be THAT scared of arenas anymore. It definitely helped getting a few more levels!

Part 55, Chapter 30 of Eliwood Normal Mode (1/2), Victory or Death! 

And here we go - the first time I have ever not used all possible deployment spaces in a mission. Even if everyone was still alive, I still think I wouldn't bother bringing them all, which is a stark contrast to how I usually play.

I feel like I've learnt a lot through this Ironman!

Part 56, Chapter 30 of Eliwood Normal Mode (2/2), "We're Gonna Kill Nergal Or Die Trying!": 

Aaah, Renault (or Renaud in this weirdly buggy translation of the game) - useful only for a Fortify staff, otherwise worthless. Still, that Fortify's gonna come in handy!

And the chapter's done! Limstella (or Sonia as I called her) wasn't much of a challenge, Luna really is easy mode for this game.

Part 57, final chapter (1/2) of Eliwood Normal Mode, Light: 

HOOOOOOOLY SHIT I forgot how OP the morphs are. Lloyd with his insane critrate due to Linus's support, and Uhai does not fuck about with that Rienfleche - he's harder to take out than Nergal! 

Part 57, final chapter (1/2) of Eliwood Normal Mode, Light: 

HOOOOOOOLY SHIT I forgot how OP the morphs are. Lloyd with his insane critrate due to Linus's support, and Uhai does not fuck about with that Rienfleche - he's harder to take out than Nergal! 

Part 58 (FINAL), final chapter (2/2) of Eliwood Normal Mode, "Fire Emblem's Blazing Light": 

And finished! It's taken a lot longer than I thought it would, but I got through it in the end. I summarised a few of my thoughts in the video, but the things I've learnt about Fire Emblem doing this Ironman:

- Keeping the party size as small as possible would have been really helpful just in terms of maximising EXP gain - quite often I took along the maximum amount of people, even though they didn't actually help me finish the map, mainly because that's what I'm used to doing 

- Don't sleep on prepromotes! I have a growth unit bias, but being able to have Pent, Karel, Hawkeye etc. ready and usable made the lategame so much more manageable. Yeah it was more satisfying to use Sain, Fiora and Raven, but now I know that using Marcus ISN'T a sin!

- I am not as good at Fire Emblem as I thought - even with my first death being down to RNG, I could have played a lot safer. Part of the problem with LPing it, I suppose...

Overall, I had fun with it, and I'm glad I can move on to other things!

42 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

Congratulations!

I've recently started playing Ironman style myself so I know the feeling.

Any more Ironman runs planned?

Possibly Shadow Dragon, since I've played most of it before but I don't really remember much of it. I don't reeeeally fancy playing it on the Wii U VC though, it took a lot longer to play and record that way than I anticipated it would...

I was actually planning to play for FE6 for the first time ever, but I wouldn't be able to do that as an Ironman because I don't know who's required to keep alive for recruiting other people, secret chapters and so on.