When do you promote units in Binding blade?

Harvey

I recently finished my first playthrough of the game and I promoted everyone at level 20. Although for the most part, most units only got up to around level 13-15 I think. This does include some arena abuse as well and I did use several extra characters. However they were still certainly strong enough for the final chapters that they weren't much of a problem.

I'm no expert on the FE series, but I think it is generally best to promote at level 20 to get the most stat boosts possible. Blazing Sword seemed to have more than enough chapters to get most units to level 20 I think and Sacred Stones also allows you to train outside of chapters.

It's not pointless to promote at Lv.20 - the XP gain of a promoted unit is the same no matter when you promote (and much slower than before promotion), so holding the promotion until max level will net you more level-ups and thus more stats over the course of the game, even though you probably won't hit Lv.20 after promotion.

However, that long-term gain usually isn't big enough to not take the immediate promotional gains sooner. Rutger, for example, will want the Swordmaster promotion to reliably kill the asshole that is the boss in chapter 7x, but he'll never even come close to Lv.20 before that. Milady's base stats are just so monstrous that she doesn't really need the additional level-ups from Lv10 to Lv.20 before promotion (although I think she would appreciate a Speedwing). Your healer(s) will want to promote ASAP to be able to gain XP through battle, since staffs don't net that much experience.

Other than that, I'd just promote a character as soon as he _needs_ the immediate boost to stay useful, but definitely as soon as s/he hits a stat cap. If a specific chapter gives you trouble, ponder if promoting a unit will help your clear and act accordingly.

Or just use Gradivus' rule of thumb because those numbers seem reasonable. ;)

Edited by ping

It is a balance. You have to make the decision based on what you have.

In Fates, the reason you don't promote immediately is that the experience gain is more nerfed in Lunatic mode than any other FE I have ever experienced when your level is higher than the enemy by 3 or more.

It's a bad reference when it comes to older FEs like FE6.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I tend to wait to level 20 but healers kind of need to promote at level 10 so that they can attack and heal. I would agree that Rutger and Miledy can be promoted earlier. Of course I do arena abuse so getting my teams to level 20 is not that hard for me, if you don't want to do that I would say level 15 should be all right for most units.